Were Matoran identical?

I was thinking about this the other day. In the movie, the Matoran masks seem half robotic and half organic. With humans, our organic make up looks differnet from other peoples in the most basic sense. Would Matoran with this same Kanohi still look different?

• Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Interesting question. Expanding from that, would Matoran all be the same height, etc.? I know they were mass-produced, so it's likely, but it'd be good to know anyway.

Also, were they the same build. Im sure Iv heard that Po-Matoran are the strongest. Could they be more buff than the other Matoran.

• Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

yeah, they probably are different organic-wise. mechanical-wise, they aren't that much different except for ta-matoran and ko-matoran, having a higher resistance to heat and cold, respectively. but nearly all matoran have something organic that sets them a part from the other types. for example, Ga-Matoran can swin better and hold their breaths longer. po-matoran, as you said, are stronger than the others. Le-Matoran are more agile, which is probably a mixture of balancing stabilizers (or whatever you call them) and organic balance, like the fluid in our ears that keeps us upright.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

It depends, like the answer's yes when comparing Matoran from the same area. Like all the Mata/Metru Nui Matoran are of same height and appearance wih exception of Kanohi and colors. When comparing Mata/Metru Matoran to Voya Nui's, then the Voyatoran are smaller and oddly shaped due to their "fixing" by Karzanhi.

I suppose they'd be able to differentiate between each other within the region pretty easily. For example, there'd only be one Matoran on the island who was blue and yellow and wore a Pekhui, so those who knew him/her wouldn't confuse anyone else with them. (There's no such Matoran to my knowledge, though.) That could also explain why people mixed up Taipu and Hafu in-story, since their only differing factor was their Kanohi, and even that was sometimes switched IIRC. It could be a little tricky in places with a larger population such as Metru Nui, but... I don't know.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I suppose they'd be able to differentiate between each other within the region pretty easily. For example, there'd only be one Matoran on the island who was blue and yellow and wore a Pekhui, so those who knew him/her wouldn't confuse anyone else with them. (There's no such Matoran to my knowledge, though.) That could also explain why people mixed up Taipu and Hafu in-story, since their only differing factor was their Kanohi, and even that was sometimes switched IIRC. It could be a little tricky in places with a larger population such as Metru Nui, but... I don't know.

Did Metru Nui have a larger population? I was always under the impression the Toa Metru saved all of the Matoran.

Did Metru Nui have a larger population? I was always under the impression the Toa Metru saved all of the Matoran.

Mata Nui and Metru Nui's population is the same, about 1000 Matoran.

le-koro_banner.jpg

Re: "Were Matoran identical?" -- No. There were probably some who were virtually identical (just as with humans), but they were told apart mainly by color scheme (body mainly, since the masks could be swapped, and in case of one being lost or broken would have to be), differences in body design (see examples of Hahli vs Macku), eye color, voice, personality, etc. Also if theoretically an identical pair existed, one would have one job, another a different job, so in their normal every day context you'd still have a good idea which was which.

Re: "Were masks identical?" -- Depends, but not always. We've seen that Matoran can have a single "label shape" in three main varieties -- Great, Noble, and special stylized ones for Matoran (compare Vakama's Toa mask, Turaga, and Matoran). There could be Noble-esque styles and Great-esque styles, plus proper Great & Noble, and then there were different styles even of the actual Greats and Nobles (compare Lhikan's stylized mask with Tahu's normal mask). With fiftyish confirmed powers whose shapes Matoran would wear, and probably hundreds of others in existence, plus sixteen total elemental associations for varying color schemes (each with their own variants), there's gobs of possibilities.

Note: Masks aren't ever "half robotic". Although some did have machine components as optional add-ons, like Nuju's Matoran and Great mask, and Kopaka's mask. Neither are any of them organic, other than the Toa Inika's masks. They're more comparable to a rubber mask or the like that we could wear, if it adhered to our face and could bend, etc. But neither robotics nor organics are necessary to have different shapes.

Re: "same height?" As far as I know this was never canonically answered. Probably so, at least all the Matoran made by the same machine. We don't know just how many different machines there are and whether the basic builds might differ even from the same machine, though, so we really can't be sure at all on this. I lean towards same height, but differences in build and the like, even from the same machine.

Plus, they can rebuild themselves, plus there's all those mutagens, so even if they all start out the same height they don't necessarily have to stay that way. As seen with the Mata Nui Islanders shrinking, then rebuilding to be close, but not the same, as their Metru forms.

Re: "different builds per element?" -- I'd say it's likely. I'm presuming there's at least one Spawner (as I call them) per element, and it could easily include different default builds per type. This doesn't really show up in any artistic depiction I'm aware of though, with Po versus other Metru ones for example. So maybe not.

Re: "the set designs are closer to canon (As stated by Greg) than the movie designs" -- I've heard a few people say this, but I actually saw Greg say the opposite. Movie designs are (generally) closer to their canon forms, while sets are just representations. Movie forms have most of the canon features that sets don't, for example, like heartlights, fingers (vs. the old designs anyways), muscle tissue, more facelike masks, etc.

Although there are likely some exceptions. IMO Lhikan's movie portrayal is probably slightly less canon than his set form. His movie mask looks almost indistinguishable from Tahu's Hau (or Jaller's form of the same mask), yet it's canon that he has a different style, and later portrayals always used the set style (like the Hau Gate entrance to the Coliseum). And the later two movies moved toward a nearly identical style to the sets anyways.

But in general, as far as I know, this is a false rumor that's got it mixed up. Unless Greg changed his mind later. Archive's down, so can't check. But I never saw anybody say this until recent months on the new forum. On the old forum, when Greg was talking with us freely, everybody always agreed movie was more accurate.

Re: "about 1000 Matoran" -- exactly 1000, in fact. All of them were saved. Ahkmou was thought lost for a while but "wandered up" (really, was directed there by Teridax).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Re: "about 1000 Matoran" -- exactly 1000, in fact. All of them were saved. Ahkmou was thought lost for a while but "wandered up" (really, was directed there by Teridax).

Are there are exactly 1000 Matorans on Metru Nui?, possibly orginally this could be but over the years that must've changed.

I'm back!

Re: "Were Matoran identical?" -- No. There were probably some who were virtually identical (just as with humans), but they were told apart mainly by color scheme (body mainly, since the masks could be swapped, and in case of one being lost or broken would have to be), differences in body design (see examples of Hahli vs Macku), eye color, voice, personality, etc. Also if theoretically an identical pair existed, one would have one job, another a different job, so in their normal every day context you'd still have a good idea which was which.

I wouldn't say that voice, job, and personality were part of being identical, because this is more about the looks, like if they were looking different.

Re: "Were masks identical?" -- Depends, but not always. We've seen that Matoran can have a single "label shape" in three main varieties -- Great, Noble, and special stylized ones for Matoran (compare Vakama's Toa mask, Turaga, and Matoran). There could be Noble-esque styles and Great-esque styles, plus proper Great & Noble, and then there were different styles even of the actual Greats and Nobles (compare Lhikan's stylized mask with Tahu's normal mask). With fiftyish confirmed powers whose shapes Matoran would wear, and probably hundreds of others in existence, plus sixteen total elemental associations for varying color schemes (each with their own variants), there's gobs of possibilities.

I don't know how canon would Matoran Vakama's mask be, because the movie forms usually look different from the set forms, but then I saw your other part of the post, and I got all confused :P.

Re: "same height?" As far as I know this was never canonically answered. Probably so, at least all the Matoran made by the same machine. We don't know just how many different machines there are and whether the basic builds might differ even from the same machine, though, so we really can't be sure at all on this. I lean towards same height, but differences in build and the like, even from the same machine.

Compare the 2004 Matoran to the '07 ones. The '07 ones are slightly taller, but according to BS01 all the Toa are around the same size in the story, just that TLG uses different pieces, so why shouldn't it be the same with Matoran?

Are there are exactly 1000 Matorans on Metru Nui?, possibly orginally this could be but over the years that must've changed.

Yeah. What about the Inika and Takanuva. That would make it 993

And the ones Tuyet killed and such, thats why an exact number like 1000 seems very odd

I'm back!

Make that 987. You left out the Toa Metru.

Well I was talking about Mata Nui not Metru Nui.

Never mind what I said, then. I thought it meant 1000 Matoran total, from the beginning when Artahka(or whoever) placed them there.

Never mind what I said, then. I thought it meant 1000 Matoran total, from the beginning when Artahka(or whoever) placed them there.

Don't forget Mavrah. :P

The posts regarding the numbers raises an interesting point - there can't have been the same number of Matoran on Mata Nui as there'd been living in Metru Nui, because six Matoran became Toa shortly before Metru Nui's collapse. So there were either 1006 Matoran on Metru Nui then 1000 on Mata Nui, or 1000 on Metru Nui then 994 on Mata Nui.

The posts regarding the numbers raises an interesting point - there can't have been the same number of Matoran on Mata Nui as there'd been living in Metru Nui, because six Matoran became Toa shortly before Metru Nui's collapse. So there were either 1006 Matoran on Metru Nui then 1000 on Mata Nui, or 1000 on Metru Nui then 994 on Mata Nui.

Like I said before, I think it's the latter. Based on what I read in the first Bionicle Encyclopedia, when it didn't have the end of 2005 results, it said:

How they turned back into Toa Metru is unknown, but they did make it back with close to 1000 Matoran.

Or something like that, I don't have the book with me now.And this is getting off topic, by the way. Edited by Takua Dragonstar7

Yes, this is getting off-topic, but since there's been confusion and I didn't see the most important point made, might as well make it -- new Matoran were always made, prior to the Great Cataclysm, to replace all that died. So the amount that died over the centuries is irrelevant.

Admittedly I don't think anybody's factored Kohran's point yet (how come we didn't think of that before? >_>). Either six new ones were made in that time, which is possible, though it would require Makuta to authorize it in place of Dume, or "1000" includes the Turaga on Mata Nui.

As for it seeming odd that there's exactly 1000, many people have said that throughout the years, but really, why not? This is an artificial universe, and an artificial population. It's probably just so it's easier math on the leaders when they have to make new ones to replace those that died.

Anywho... somehow let's get this back on topic. Identicalness. Yesh.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I have a few points I'd like to make!

1. Has anyone really thought about masks being different? I think that different versions of the same mask would be different, because think about it: they're HAND-MADE, by the sounds of things. So, if you have a whole bunch of mask-makers in a room and ask them to make a Hau, are they all going to make identical masks? Even if you had one mask-maker make a whole bunch of Haus, each one would be ever-so-slightly different. So, my guess is that each Kanohi would be unique in their own way, depending on the crafter, and even to very slight differences due to being hand-made.

2. I like to think that each element has its own unique body type; like Ga-Matoran being more suited to swimming or Po-Matoran having stronger muscles. It sounds like a decent assumption to make, seeing as they already have a skill for each element.

3. Over time, the organic parts of the may adjust to their way of life. If a Po-Matoran lazes about all day, he probably won't be as fit as one that, I don't know, jogs around the village twice a day or whatever you do between Kohlii matches. This could possibly affect their outward appearance to a degree. Also, their armour and mask's condition may provide a hint as to just who you're talking to. I'm assuming that everyday life will leave a few dings and scratches here and there. Not to mention that a person's personality can reflect on their appearance; a Matoran who smiles a lot and has a confident posture would probably be easy to tell apart from one who slouches and scowls.

4. Okay, don't quote me on this, because it's entirely a guess on my part: factories often have manufacture flaws. There may be Matoran out there that are slightly taller,slightly shorter, have odd eye colours, or anything else that would make them stand out. Maybe even a lack of armour pigment. But yeah, this is the least credible of all the stuff I've written, so feel free to ignore it.

That's all I could think of to help at the moment!

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I think that different versions of the same mask would be different, because think about it: they're HAND-MADE

We've seen Vakama molding them with his firestaff, which counts as that, but it's also confirmed that they will use molds. BS01 confirms:

To forge a Kanohi mask, the Kanoka would be melted down and reforged or carved into the desired shape

Probably it's only the best of the best like Vakama who will "carve" (reshape is probably a better word) them. Others will be using the same molds over and over.

I think that different versions of the same mask would be different, because think about it: they're HAND-MADE

We've seen Vakama molding them with his firestaff, which counts as that, but it's also confirmed that they will use molds. BS01 confirms:

To forge a Kanohi mask, the Kanoka would be melted down and reforged or carved into the desired shape

Probably it's only the best of the best like Vakama who will "carve" (reshape is probably a better word) them. Others will be using the same molds over and over.
We only saw Vakama Carva a mask with the Vahi, I wouldn't take that as ordinary mask production.

I'm back!

Kanaohi masks are their FACES. So everyone will always have something unique. For example: When Jala/Jaller first weared his Hau it changed to be his face. Also these are not fully solid so they can move their lips and eyebrows.

Hello and welcome ^^
Bionicle fan and follower from Lublin in Poland. Theoretician, nerd and figure collector. The same goes for Transformers and MLP:FiM and more sophisticated works of science fiction fantasy.
I'd like to be your friend my friends :)
My facebook: https://www.facebook.com/butterscotch.pl.

Mata Nui and Metru Nui's population is the same, about 1000 Matoran.

* facepalm * Right, my mistake.

but their spirits

Kanaohi masks are their FACES. So everyone will always have something unique. For example: When Jala/Jaller first weared his Hau it changed to be his face. Also these are not fully solid so they can move their lips and eyebrows.

Not exactly faces. It is also their "power source". You could use them to tell Matoran apart, but that's not what they were meant for.

We only saw Vakama Carva a mask with the Vahi, I wouldn't take that as ordinary mask production.

That's probably the best reason to conclude it's ordinary. You wouldn't want to risk a method that's not well-practiced on a Legendary Mask. :) What if you messed up and ruined it? You'd have the time catastrophe scenario Vakama described in Time Trap (which Greg has apparently confirmed would be accurate). Also, he was shown making that shape by the same method at his forge earlier (though he didn't have the power for it), so we've seen him do it twice. It appears to be his normal way of doing it. But again, he's the best of the best when it comes to maskmakers, so likely others would prefer forging. Edited by bonesiii

Well, talking about the Kanohi question, I would say that YES, if two matoran had the same Kanohi it would look different.

Reason?

Well, because at the end of LoMN, when Turaga (Vakama?) puts Lhikan's kanohi onto Jaller (both were Hau), it morphed when it went on his face.

Just realized that Darkon219 said the same thing.....oh well.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

My opinion is that the Matoran might have been identical when they were just machines, but when they became sapient they might have added some personal touches to their appearance. Even if they didn't, their personalities would be enough to tell them apart.Anyway...

Re: "the set designs are closer to canon (As stated by Greg) than the movie designs" -- I've heard a few people say this, but I actually saw Greg say the opposite. Movie designs are (generally) closer to their canon forms, while sets are just representations. Movie forms have most of the canon features that sets don't, for example, like heartlights, fingers (vs. the old designs anyways), muscle tissue, more facelike masks, etc. Although there are likely some exceptions. IMO Lhikan's movie portrayal is probably slightly less canon than his set form. His movie mask looks almost indistinguishable from Tahu's Hau (or Jaller's form of the same mask), yet it's canon that he has a different style, and later portrayals always used the set style (like the Hau Gate entrance to the Coliseum). And the later two movies moved toward a nearly identical style to the sets anyways. But in general, as far as I know, this is a false rumor that's got it mixed up. Unless Greg changed his mind later. Archive's down, so can't check. But I never saw anybody say this until recent months on the new forum. On the old forum, when Greg was talking with us freely, everybody always agreed movie was more accurate.

I think I actually started that rumor with this Greg quote, which I used in part over here:

Here's a new quote I just received today about the precedence of books, movies, etc. in accuracy:QUOTEBasically, I would see it this way:Sets come first. That means things like the Rahaga flying on helicopter blades are not canon, because there is nothing like that on the set.Movies, books and comics are all about equal -- the books reside in the movie universe, where the Toa have hands, the comics do not, but they are all canon.Animations have, in the past, ranked behind these because they generally have not been approved by the story team. In future, though, there is going to be a lot more story on the web site and it will be considered canon.Greg

I find it quite interesting that sets come first. I know that Bionicle came about because of the toy line, of course. But I was under the impression that the books/comics/movies would be first, for some reason...?

but their spirits

I find it quite interesting that sets come first. I know that Bionicle came about because of the toy line, of course. But I was under the impression that the books/comics/movies would be first, for some reason...?

"Sets come first" was a common figure of speech of Greg's basically. He usually used it in the context of why he came up with explanations in the story for things the set designers did, rather than the set designers taking something from his ideas and designing the set based on it (usually). "Comes first" means in order of production, not necessarily priority of what is the "true canon". So, the set designers were free to imagine the best toys to please kids in general (rightly so).

The example of the Rahaga rotor blades should clarify how it relates to priority for canon. Because there's nothing like that in the sets (they fire Rhotuka in sets and comics), the movie version is non-canon. But obviously, since canonically the Rhotuka are wheels of energy, not solid, non-glowing spinners triggered by a hand pulling a big zip-blade through a plastic thing (:P), the movie and comic versions of actual Rhotuka, when shown, are more canon than the set appearance.

Basically it comes down to common sense. What is in the set purely as a result of it being a plastic toy is likely to not be canon, while what is in it to portray a character's design is likely to be closer.

Agree with bones up there, you can actually say a movie form is 'more' canon as long as it does not contradicts with what the set REPRESENTS.But we're getting off-topic let us discuss differences between Matoran.Interesting thing: Takua was able to recognise Jaller even when he was Wearing a Komau in the Empire so I guess Matoran have in addition to things stated before supernatural sense of recognition.

I'm back!

well, let's check off what we know could have been why he was recognized

-Ta-matoran, that doesn't change

-he was the only matoran within reasonable boundaries

expanding on the last one for a bit, if you lost your keys and they were the only keys in the entire house, and someone secretly replaced the color of the handle from blue to green, you would still know it was your key.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

Skimming the thread, I see that bones pointed out the presence of stylized masks, but I don't think anyone's brought up how frequently they probably appeared. In set form there was only a small handful, but I remember vividly that in Bionicle Adventures #1 the narrator points out that Nuhrii had a "signature style" or something to that effect--ridges around the eyeholes or something like that. So even if masks were largely identical (that is, more identical to each other than humans' faces are) there would certainly be minor differences like these, not to mention physique differences, scars, and possibly voices.

Agree with bones up there, you can actually say a movie form is 'more' canon as long as it does not contradicts with what the set REPRESENTS.But we're getting off-topic let us discuss differences between Matoran.Interesting thing: Takua was able to recognise Jaller even when he was Wearing a Komau in the Empire so I guess Matoran have in addition to things stated before supernatural sense of recognition.

Actually, it read that Takanuva barely recognized Jaller and pretty much only knew that he was Jaller because of the Makuta's information.

But obviously, since canonically the Rhotuka are wheels of energy, not solid, non-glowing spinners triggered by a hand pulling a big zip-blade through a plastic thing ( :P), the movie and comic versions of actual Rhotuka, when shown, are more canon than the set appearance.

I lol'ed at this so hard... :P

I see what you are saying but i don't think so about the mask about half robotic and half organic because in the end of the 2nd movie jaller was given a new kanohi that was Lhikan Hau plus the mask was made by disk. The Matoran look a like i don't think they are because in the 1st and 2nd movie jaller ,hahli and the 6 toa metru when they was still matoran was all the same size but they look a lot different.

(note it was along time so my knowing about the story is bad and bonesiii please do not make a over 9000 word Articles of me losing same stiff of knowing about BIONICLE :P )

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I see what you are saying but i don't know so about the mask about half robotic and half organic because in the end of the 2nd movie jaller was given a new kanohi that was Lhikan Hau plus the mask was made by disk. The Matoran look a like i don't think they are because in the 1st and 2nd movie jaller ,hahli and the 6 toa metru when they was still matoran was all the same size but they look a lot different. (note it was along time so my knowing about the story is bad and bonesiii please do not make a over 9000 word Articles of me losing same stiff of knowing about BIONICLE :P )

What's with the talk about half robotic half organic masks? Masks aren't robotic, and they aren't organic either with the exception of the Inika ones. About the movie Matoran, they don't look too different. It could be when the Metru Nui Matoran got shrunk then rebuilt in to larger forms. Compare the '04 Matoran to the '03 ones. They are about the same size, but they look different as well. The movie just makes it look more "realistic".