Destiny Sprite System

Ghosthands

chronicler_company.png

I've never posted a kit before, but I was working on this over the downtime and I thought some of you guys might like it.Now, having looked at quite a few Bionicle sprite kits, I've noticed that they seem to fall into two categories:

• [*]Look slick and lifelike, but aren't very faithful to the sets[*]Very set-accurate, but poses look awkward and stiff.

What I have tried to do is make a kit that combines the good features of both, while avoiding the bad features of neither. You will have to be the judges of whether I have succeeded.I have based a lot of the design on that of Templar Studios' MNOG characters.News

• [*]17/10/11: Topic created.[*]23/10/11: Tohunga Kit, Turaga Kit, Kanohi, and banner added.[*]29/10/11: Colour palette added.[*]30/10/11: Tohunga kit's colours fixed.[*]02/11/11: Turaga kit's colours fixed

The KitsKanohi:sprite_kanohi.pngMatoran (Tohunga):tohunga_kit.pngTuraga:turaga_kit.pngToa (Mata):Coming soonThe CharactersThese are the canon characters I have completed so far:Tahu: the only Toa Mata whose build is finished.tahu_preview.pngTuraga:canon_turaga.pngMatoran: Tohunga buildcanon_matoran_-_tohunga.pngThe ColoursDSS uses the same nine-shade colour system as the MNOG-Style Character Creation kit. I have made my own modified colour set, as the colour charts used in the MSCC are very big and inconvenient when working with small sprites. I have also changed several colour names, incorporated other colours not used in the original MNOLG-SCCK and will be adding more colours at a later date.sprite_colours.pngAnd, yes, I did say 9-bit. I know, this can make recolouring a bit of a pain, but I chose to do this because it allows for a greater depth of detail, texture and shading, and hopefully a more lifelike sprite.BannersChronicler's Company:chronicler_company.pngRequestsIf you would like a custom Kanohi, weapon, tool, or any custom object not included in the kit, PM me or leave a comment here and I'll see what I can do.Also, if you'd like a character made for you and find the kit too hard to use, I'll try to help with that too.One last thing...I have spent quite a bit of time and effort making this, so I'd appreciate it if you would please do the following:

• [*]Please do not post any part of this kit claiming it as your own work. Please either give credit as DSS, or Ghosthands.[*]I am more than happy for people to use this kit, but I would ask that if you do, please inform me - just because I'd like to see what you're making![*]If you make custom parts such as Kanohi or weapons for DSS, feel free to send them to me so I can make them available to others.

Edited by Ghosthands
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I'm not sure it would work very well for comics, but otherwise, I like it. There's plently of room for improvement (namely the masks), but it's still one of the best kits I've seen here in a while.

Thanks ;) I did make it with character customization in mind, for the BZPRPG, for example. What's wrong with the masks? And why don't you think it would work for comics?

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I'm liking how it looks like now; reminds me of the GameBoy games way back when. There needs to be more poses, of course, but I can see this kit being used for things like FCG. Nice work; I'll be looking forward to see where it goes.

I'm liking how it looks like now; reminds me of the GameBoy games way back when. There needs to be more poses, of course, but I can see this kit being used for things like FCG. Nice work; I'll be looking forward to see where it goes.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear enough; there will be more poses when I post the actual kits. The pictures currently there are just to give an idea of the style.

very lifelike. it isnt good fo comics, but as you said. this would do good for bzprpg. my comp has a messed up color system, so i cant recolor it, but, nonetheless, ill find someone who will.it looks alot like the sets. considerig this is most likely used for bzprpg, are there going to be skakdi and vortiix? this is alot better than the privous bzprpg kit, in my opinion

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

very lifelike. it isnt good fo comics, but as you said. this would do good for bzprpg. my comp has a messed up color system, so i cant recolor it, but, nonetheless, ill find someone who will.it looks alot like the sets. considerig this is most likely used for bzprpg, are there going to be skakdi and vortiix? this is alot better than the privous bzprpg kit, in my opinion

Thanks :) Yes, but not quite yet. This is my to-do list, in order:
  • [*]Matoran (Tohunga) [done][*]Turaga [done][*]Toa (Mata) [in progress][*]Toa (Nuva)[*]Matoran (Rebuilt)[*](Rahkshi?)[*]Toa (Metru)[*]Vortixx[*]Toa (Inika)[*]Skakdi[*]Toa (later variations on Inika build)

I will of course do other things such as Rahi, but these are my top priorities. Again, why wouldn't it work for comics?

most comics on bzp use a sprite sheet full of different characters. they recolor the sprite sheet, move the selected pose on a backround, add dialog and special affects. this is more of a "one pose that looks cool, to make the point of what a character looks like" kind of kit :)

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Bingo. That's just what I was thinking. The thing I really noticed was the build accuracy of the Turaga. The varying hights and all. Excellent kit. Poses are sure to be a welcome addition. :pirate:

most comics on bzp use a sprite sheet full of different characters. they recolor the sprite sheet, move the selected pose on a backround, add dialog and special affects. this is more of a "one pose that looks cool, to make the point of what a character looks like" kind of kit :)

Ah, I see what the confusion is. This is not the finished kit. This is just examples of characters that can be made with it. When the kits are ready, which they're not atm, they will include not only a variety of poses but also a variety of perspectives on parts to make custom poses.

Bingo. That's just what I was thinking. The thing I really noticed was the build accuracy of the Turaga. The varying hights and all. Excellent kit. Poses are sure to be a welcome addition. :pirate:
Thanks :) The reason I was able to make the builds so accurate (and the same will be true of the Toa, once they are ready) is that I made these by individually pixelling each piece, then putting them together. It's almost like building the sets in real life! All six Turaga builds will be available in the finalised Turaga kit.

oh, well, could you post the masks? so we dont have to take apart the certain character we want just to get another mask :P and how did you post images?

Edited by bulik

oh, well, could you post the masks? so we dont have to take apart the certain character we want just to get another mask :P and how did you post images?

If you read the above information, of course I will be posting the masks, but not until I've perfected the Matoran and Turaga kits. Uploaded to Brickshelf, then used the Add Image tool in the editor.

nevermind, i tried to post images before, but it didnt work. after i posted that i tried again, and you can see my success in my topic in the system mocs subforum

Edited by bulik

This is very realistic. It is something I would expect being used in a fan game, in a talk log or such. Your labor has churned out something that is, in fact, what you were shooting for. Great job!

"An old silent pond...

A frog jumps into the pond,

splash! Silence again."

-Matsuo Batsho

Could someone recolor huki so his colors are the same as onepu?my comp's colors always edit the imges after i save them, adding those tiny variations in, making it almost impssible to recolor correctly.

Could someone recolor huki so his colors are the same as onepu?my comp's colors always edit the imges after i save them, adding those tiny variations in, making it almost impssible to recolor correctly.

I'll see what I can do. Have you made sure you're saving it as BMP, not JPG or GIF? Edited by Ghosthands

I think I can say that you have the best sprites out of anybody in Shops & Kits. Your concepts of shape are flawless; you use shading to bring out shape and detail, rather than outlines. Still, a slight degree of stylization could work nicely. Tahu, to be specific. I like how you used the arm to balance him, but I think that if the foot and mask were moved back a few pixels, he'd have a more relaxed look to him. Right now, without the arm, he seems to be sticking his neck out.

Edited by Observance

I think I can say that you have the best sprites out of anybody in Shops & Kits. Your concepts of shape are flawless; you use shading to bring out shape and detail, rather than outlines. Still, a slight degree of stylization could work nicely. Tahu, to be specific. I like how you used the arm to balance him, but I think that if the foot and mask were moved back a few pixels, he'd have a more relaxed look to him. Right now, without the arm, he seems to be sticking his neck out.

Thanks very much! I see what you mean about Tahu, but didn't they look like that anyway?

You could probably improve the Pakari, but otherwise, these have to be the best sprites I have seen. Nice job duplicating the MNOG poses, BTW. (I could make a comic, and use the MNOG character creation kit for close-ups. =) )

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

You could probably improve the Pakari, but otherwise, these have to be the best sprites I have seen. Nice job duplicating the MNOG poses, BTW. (I could make a comic, and use the MNOG character creation kit for close-ups. =) )

The Pakari was probably the one I was happiest with, but :shrugs:

The Pakari was probably the one I was happiest with, but :shrugs:
I would've thought you'd have been happiest with that Kaukau. It's great. =)I don't know if it's just my Paint, but the colours don't match up. What's up?

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Very nice! The number of colors do seem a bit too much thoughYou could still retain the same amount of detail with less colors with the use of dithering. hahgdh.pngIt looks very similar, if not exactly the same regular size. Also all the front facing sprites could be 1 pixel wider, but that's just me. Of course these are just suggestions, do whatever you please :P These are great :)

9998_v.gif9998_s.gif9999_v.gif9999_s.gif10000_s.gif

Very nice! The number of colors do seem a bit too much thoughYou could still retain the same amount of detail with less colors with the use of dithering. hahgdh.pngIt looks very similar, if not exactly the same regular size. Also all the front facing sprites could be 1 pixel wider, but that's just me. Of course these are just suggestions, do whatever you please :P These are great :)

Thanks for the ideas, but I'll stick with how I have them, because:
  • [*]I don't like the way dithering looks, especially in close-ups.[*]The face-on ones need to be an odd number of pixels wide, so I can get lines down the middle.

I don't know if it's just my Paint, but the colours don't match up. What's up?

Which ones aren't working?
Nevermind, just figured out I was using .JPG. I am a fool. =)I'll try .PNG (My personal favourite), and if that doesn't work I will tell you again. =) EDIT: I was about to say .PNG didn't work either, when I noticed you said to use .BMP. If .BMP doesn't work, I will edit yet again. =P EDIT: It wasn't the file type, nor was it my computer. The yellow on the Tohunga's feet doesn't match up with the scale. Glad to be of help. =) Edited by Pirok the Va-Matoran

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

I don't know if it's just my Paint, but the colours don't match up. What's up?

Which ones aren't working?
Nevermind, just figured out I was using .JPG. I am a fool. =)I'll try .PNG (My personal favourite), and if that doesn't work I will tell you again. =) EDIT: I was about to say .PNG didn't work either, when I noticed you said to use .BMP. If .BMP doesn't work, I will edit yet again. =P EDIT: It wasn't the file type, nor was it my computer. The yellow on the Tohunga's feet doesn't match up with the scale. Glad to be of help. =)
That's odd...I'll look into it. EDIT: Did you try ALL the shades of yellow? Because I checked, and it matched up when I did it. Edited by Ghosthands

No matter how many times I try it, the yellow still doesn't work. The only sheet that works perfectly is the Kanohi sheet. The gold all matches up perfectly. I'm getting confused...

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

No matter how many times I try it, the yellow still doesn't work. The only sheet that works perfectly is the Kanohi sheet. The gold all matches up perfectly. I'm getting confused...

You're right. The shade is slightly different. I'll fix it as soon as I can get on my Dad's PC (I'm using my MacBook atm, so no paint).

I'll see what I can do. Have you made sure you're saving it as BMP, not JPG or GIF?
ill try the other file types. but anyways.. the banner is cool, and good to see some updates

I'll see what I can do. Have you made sure you're saving it as BMP, not JPG or GIF?
ill try the other file types. but anyways.. the banner is cool, and good to see some updates
Thanks. I hope to have the Toa Mata kit up soon, but I can't make any promises.

Looking forward to the Toa-Mata kit.

Me too XD
By the way, I wasn't randomly complimenting you there. This really is (IMO) the best sprite maker since Rayg. I've been using Rayg to make comics for ages, but once the other kits are up and all the problems have been ironed out, I'm probably gonna use this, 'cause it looks good and isn't that difficult to use, considering I've been using the MNOLG-Style Character Creation Kit for over about a year now, and these are smaller and thus take less time. =)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

This is quite honestly amazing. I love how accurite it is to the sets, and I do believe it rivals Rayg 1.0, which is one of my favorite kits. One thing I would suggest changing a little bit is that Kanohi Miru. I kinda toyed around with it and wanted to suggest this to you. Either way, this looks amazing. sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

This is quite honestly amazing. I love how accurite it is to the sets, and I do believe it rivals Rayg 1.0, which is one of my favorite kits. One thing I would suggest changing a little bit is that Kanohi Miru. I kinda toyed around with it and wanted to suggest this to you. Either way, this looks amazing. sig.png

Thanks! Did you just make the forehead lines darker? Because on the actual mask those are very faint and kind of hard to see sometimes.

Thanks! Did you just make the forehead lines darker? Because on the actual mask those are very faint and kind of hard to see sometimes.
I made them darker, yes, along with taking away the odd addition of a pixel on the outer edge of the Miru on the front. It made it seem a little bit blocky and sharp, and out of shape. Looking forward to the rest of the Toa Mata! sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!