UNSC Comm Channels (Halo: Forerunners Discussion)

Axilus Prime

I'll have to actually agree with Sparta on this one, that sounds more like a Jackal name.

Though, Sparta, redact your post about destroying the Watcher. In case you haven't noticed, Watchers run away when shot, so it wouldn't just stand there and let you do that. You also posted twice to attack the same person without even waiting for a response, which invalidates that post to begin with.

And please, don't mini-mod.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Alright I changed the name to Yipjap

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Oh.

Right then. Time to wipe out some people then.

I suggest listening to Mastermind by Freezepop as I compose the post.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

And to think, all I wanted was intel.

Seems like I'm going to have to kill the Infinity to bloody get it.

I do so love a challenge.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Erm, not to be the boy that cried wolf, because I'm mostly a bystander here, but how are magnetic holsters strong enough to generate that much of an opposite magnetism? I was refreshing my memory on armor designs yesterday, and Mr. Wiki says that the only points of magnetism on a Spartan's armor are the weapon holsters, and the feet, where they would be used to cling onto a ship.

Now, the weapons holster ones would only be so strong. They just have to maintain a grip on a single item, and the UNSC wouldn't want to make them too powerful, because more power means more expensive. And after such a long war, expense isn't really something they can afford. So, they have maybe three points there. Plus two in the feet, which are meant to hang onto a ship, while still being weak enough to allow walking.

The magnets on the Corvette, in contrast, are capable of holding down a several ton walking tank. Which one sounds stronger? There shouldn't be enough opposing magnetic fields to counteract that. And, even assuming it did, they'd just be floating in the air maybe five feet off the ground. Because that's about the point where those magnetic fields would start to cancel each other out. So basically, they'd be stuck in place, suspended in midair.

EDIT: And, if I recall correctly, only the ones on the boots were actually adjustable. If that.

*slinks back to observation booth*

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

But a Spartan can override some of the settings in his suit, and obviously those are electromagnets, or they would either have their weapons falling off all the time or not be able to take their weapons off their holsters. I actually stated that he diverted power to the magnets.

Foot magnets? I didn't even remember that one, that makes my trick twice as plausible.

On top of that, you can't possibly be saying that those ship magnets are that strong and yet can't repel other magnets.

Five feet up is also plenty for a Spartan to reach ceiling turrets. Have you ever been in a hallway on a Covie ship while playing the games? I, personally, have never seen a ceiling so high that a Spartan wouldn't be able to touch it by jumping and reaching up.

Also, Basilisk has no problem with it, we've been talking in PM. He just hasn't responded IC because of real life.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

If Basilisk is fine with it, then nothing I say will actually change it. The implausibility annoys me, however. Electromagnets or not, only so much power could be pumped into then before they just don't do anything more. Second, I'm not saying that the ship's magnets don't push against the other magnets, I'm saying that even on an overclocked level, the magnets on the suits shouldn't be strong enough to generate enough of a magnetic field to lift several tons of metal and muscle. Even if those types of magnets existed, which as of now, they don't, electromagnets that powerful would be abhorrently expensive.

Plus, even if they were levitated, they'd be stuck in midair. That's about it. And again, assuming said magnets are even powerful enough to raise them, they would be levitated at a point where they're not against the ceiling, and thus can't push off from that, but not on the floor, either. Stuck somewhere in the middle.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Read the post carefully. They have magnets on their hips and backs, so moving around in midair would actually change the angle of the repelling. They used that to get close enough to the turrets to grab them, then turned the magnets off again, like they do whenever they draw a weapon.

And boom. The weight rips the turrets off.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I did read the post carefully. Don't worry. Reading comprehension skills: i haz them.

And the angle of repelling change isn't actually as great as you seem to think. Pretty much the entire floor is a bunch of magnets, which means that no matter what angle you change to, movement is minimal. The repulsion is constant, so even if you were to change the angle that one magnet was positioned at, it will still be in a negating angle from another magnet. Minimal room for maneuverability. Kind of like this:

/ I

Now, if you move around a bit, those forces will still be acting on you the same. Because you're still above the magnetic floor, and though the angle is different, those forces are still acting on opposite forces in roughly the same place. You could roll around all you want, but you're still only going to levitate. That's how levitating magnet toys work.

EDIT: Plus, you can't really roll around, because you wouldn't have anything to brace off of. And, it just occurred to me, that in all likelihood, rather than levitation the armor pieces containing the magnets would tear themselves apart. Because though the floor magnets are pushing up the magnetized sections, it's still pulling the rest of the armor down. And the wiki specifically calls them "magnetic strips", so they aren't completely built into the armor. Just on it.

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

...I'll just bow to how RL magnets work.

You two have a fun research war.

I'll wait. :P

Edited by Basilisk

You can, however, move your own body. You can sort of lean back using your stomach and spine, or turn a bit. Also with the foot magnets, moving your legs around helps too.

Actually, since magnets have different polarities, which part of the magnet is closer the ground makes quite a bit of difference.

Basilisk, trust me. You're better off replying. Our research wars tend to go on forever and then end at a stalemate.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

But I like watching people fight for my amusement!

Eh. If it's still dragging on when I get home, I'll just roll with your post. :P

Also, I found the segment from the wiki.

Magnetic Weapon Holder Strips:Available on the Mk. IV, Mk. V, and Mk. VI, the magnetic strips are very small yet powerful magnets placed on the legs, waist, and back of the suit and is used to hold any equipment with a magnetic property. The suit also contains a magnet system on the boots of the MJOLNIR suit that allow its wearer to stay attached to a metal surface in Zero G environments and can be toggled on or off by the wearer.

So, the weapon strips aren't actually electromagnets. They can't be toggled on and off, they're just strong enough to hold on, but weak enough to have the weapon removed. Only the boots can be toggled on or off.

Second, how much you change your body alignment is very limited without outside intervention, since your body parts are being pulled to the floor, while your armor is trying to pull you up. Logically, they shouldn't even be able to move anything.

And even if they could, you seem to misunderstand how magnets work. I'll take a toy I'm fond of for an example. There's a TARDIS, with magnets, that is suspended between two other magnets. You can do whatever you want to it, spin it, push it, whatever, and until it exits that magnetic field, it will always return to the single hovering height that it has. It won't change.

fK5oqYf.jpg

It doesn't explicitly say they aren't electromagnets, and either way, the boots would have done the trick, and the floor magnets would have still repelled the magnetic strips if they indeed are just regular magnets.

I can hang myself by my arms from a metal pole and very easily move my midsection and legs. If I can do it, a Spartan can.

A toy TARDIS is an inanimate object and has no joints, real or fake, and so is incapable of moving any part of itself under its own power.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

It doesn't explicitly say they aren't electromagnets, and either way, the boots would have done the trick, and the floor magnets would have still repelled the magnetic strips if they indeed are just regular magnets.

Yes, the floor magnets would have repelled the magnetic strips. Straight up into the ceiling, while pulling the rest of the armour down.

AKA: The character would get torn apart, the magnets would probably blast through the ceiling.

When you add that to the other arguments that Krayzikk is making, you realize something rather fast: That was a rather implausible post of yours.

Also, your argument about moving on a metal pole: You seem to forget something: It's only your own weight hanging down, and you've got muscles. However, in this case, you've got a whole bunch of rather powerful magnets pulling on every metallic part of the Spartan's armour, while also repelling the magnetic strips, which would actually help to simulate a lot more weight due to weight only being gravity's pull...add the magnetism on to the gravity acting upon all that heavy metal, and it basically immobilizes the suit, if it doesn't pull it apart.

Edited by Ilyusha Blokfase

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

Fellows, I do apperciate it. I do.

But I'm alright with it. I'm composing a response right now.

Edited by Basilisk

Your logic is extremely flawed, so pardon, but it's going to take a significant word count to explain. So, I'll start with the basics. Since there is no indication that the weapon strips are electromagnetic, and if they were, they would have been mentioned along with the boots, we must assume that they are not. Since it is neither cost effective, nor logical to make them such. And I am referring to the Fall of Reach novel with this.

Next, I'll use another analogy. When I was a kid, I loved to play with wooden trains, and they held the cars together with magnets. But I quickly figured out that the certain ends wouldn't magnetize, but if I pushed them together, they would still meet. And the resistance only occurred within a few centimeters of the magnet itself. This is similar to what is happening here. The magnets are being repelled, but it is doubtful that boots meant to magnetize to a ship's hull could repel such force, and certainly ones designed to hold weapons couldn't. At best, your character would be stuck with everything except his thighs stuck to the ground, and his knees snapped at an awkward angle so his feet can touch the ground. Because the only things being repelled are the magnetic points themselves. In other words, one spot on each thigh, one on the back, and one on each foot. Everything else is still being pulled to the ground.

Which means that the same force that prevented them from moving before are still restricting movement now. Their arms are still being pulled to the ground, as is the rest of their body. Which means that they are contorted at painful angles, even if they could be lifted up in the first place.

In short, at best you're suspended in the air a few feet off the ground with your limbs bent at painful, possibly damaging, angles, or you're still pinned to the ground. And at worst, you've been torn apart by conflicting forces. I can see that Basilisk has chosen to go along with it, but the fact remains that it is an implausible occurrence at best, impossible at worst.

fK5oqYf.jpg

http://www.halopedia.org/Antimatter_charge

The charges I was using.

And yes, I have a list. I'm not making these up on the spot. I sent the GM the list.

@Snark and Alixus: Thank y'all for allowing me to learn something from your conversation XD@Elvis: Alright thenEDIT: A little confused on which "covenant" is who right now. So, is it currently the rebels right now? Or is it both?

Edited by Zacax: The Gunsmith

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Zacax, no one knows. The rogues are currently believed to be Covenant by all living UNSC personnel, because no one has seen otherwise and lived.

In other words, as far as anyone outside of Basilisk knows, everyone not on the Infinity is Covenant.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Zacax, no one knows. The rogues are currently believed to be Covenant by all living UNSC personnel, because no one has seen otherwise and lived.

A record I plan to keep.

Incidentally, betting time. Infinity vs. Defiance. Whose the smart money on? Who knows! Step up and place your bets folks!

Krayzikk, if the magnets were that strong, their use would wreck the ship, and the turrets would have crashed to the ground when they were deployed too.

But Basilisk didn't mind (Which clearly shows that his logic is much better than yours) so this argument is entirely pointless.

And yes, Zacax, everyone on the Infinity believes that Corvette is owned by Covenant. Now, there are actual Covenant and Prometheans showing up and attacking the Infinity as well, but there is a difference. So far, the rogues on the Corvette haven't boarded the Infinity.

I'm sure they will, though.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Krayzikk, if the magnets were that strong, their use would wreck the ship, and the turrets would have crashed to the ground when they were deployed too.

But Basilisk didn't mind (Which clearly shows that his logic is much better than yours) so this argument is entirely pointless.

And yes, Zacax, everyone on the Infinity believes that Corvette is owned by Covenant. Now, there are actual Covenant and Prometheans showing up and attacking the Infinity as well, but there is a difference. So far, the rogues on the Corvette haven't boarded the Infinity.

I'm sure they will, though.

Actually, their use wouldn't wreck the ship. Make sure that they were implanted in such a way as to not pull down the ceiling, and mount the turrets just outside the magnetic floor section. In point of fact, I already thought of this, and figured out how it works. And my logic is based around the weight of a Spartan, in other words, just under a ton, rather than any assumptions you may have concocted to use.

And the fact that Basilisk's fine with it doesn't mean your logic is right; it just means that, unlike me, he doesn't see the point in arguing this, even though you won't listen.

fK5oqYf.jpg

I think the fact I just sent enough explosives to overthrow a small nation into the middle of the boarding party kinda makes the whole thing moot.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Basilisk

Posted for approval.

Name: Vehl 'Yadumai

Species/Type: Sangheili

Appearance: With his armor on, he looks like this. Outside of his armor, he is a heavily built, tall Elite. His eyes are a sulfuric yellow and one part of his jaw is missing. His chest has a large scar across it as well, a reminder of a close encounter with a Brute warlord. Outside of combat, he typically wears a black skinsuit, much like the underarmor visable beneath the colored plates of his combat armor. He is typically well-groomed by Elite standards, taking great pride in his apperance. His skin is pitted with the marks and scars of combat however and despite his best efforts, these are often visable. The path of a soldier is not an easy one. Not at all. When he walks however, despite the slight limb, he holds his head high. He had seen many battles and such are his skills, he is certain he will see many more. When he moves into combat, it is as though his weapons are a mere extension of his own body....so the price, as it stands, might have been worth it.

Loadout:

Primary Weapon: Plasma Rifle

Secondary Weapon: Energy Sword

Gernades: Typically carries Plasma Gernades.

Armor Ability: Active Camouflage

Personality: Vehl has seen many battles; as a result, he is calm and collected in most situations, never letting his emotions get the better of him. He has little use for honor or glory, much better to sneak up behind an enemy and slip an energy sword into their spine. He is a pragmatic combatant and is willing to cheat, lie, feign death or use any other number of dishonorable tactics to win his battles. As a result of this, he is still alive. He is respectful of his crewmates and his captain….and utterly loyal to their cause. The UNSC and ONI have committed a great many sins. Who better to deliver judgment to them?

Skills: Vehl is a skilled swordsmen and his accuracy is born of years of experience. Overall, calling him a weapons master would be quite accurate. He is skilled at infiltrating enemy installations and ships and he is an able leader of men in that regard. He is calm and collected, he rarely panics. He is also a skilled poet, as it typical of the educated members of his kind; his poetry tends towards the cynical side of things, understandable, considering his past and the events therein.

Backstory: A veteran of the UNSC-Covenant War, Vehl has fought in many battles and held many honors. He fought with the UNSC on the Ark, he helped cleanse Africa of the Flood infestation….and so much more. He retired to his home world, hoping to life out a quiet life teaching the young the art of war. Then Henrietta found him. She showed him files proving ONI had instigated civil war amongst his people. She showed him what they had done to their own children. Vehl was disgusted and outraged, he joined with Henrietta without a second thought. He would have his revenge for the UNSC’s duplicity.

Weaknesses: Vehl has a slight limb and many old injuries, he doesn’t always move as fast other characters because of this. Being an assassin, this issue rarely comes up, but during a duel this could be a deciding factor. Vehl is an old warrior, he has a lot of experience….but it has taken a toll upon his body.

Edited by Basilisk

...You seriously just insulted one of your players for no other reason than to say "Hey, look, this guy's going with me, you lose, haha."

profiles i guess

...If you're looking to end an argument, TNG, don't come in and say somebody's logic is much better than another's when they decided to just go with what you did, despite how implausible it was.

That's just going to add fuel to the argument when the other person gets insulted.

profiles i guess