UNSC Comm Channels (Halo: Forerunners Discussion)

Axilus Prime

Basilisk is in college, yes, but he's already posted, and he has some particularly large assignments at this time.

As for high school, what do you think I'm in?

Let's word this differently: high school with a rather large number of assignments/tests/extra work. You might be able to do it all in three seconds flat, but some of us can't, and in a few cases that's only one of multiple problems. Just stop worrying about people not posting now; they'll come back when they have the time, and in the meantime you have more than enough people who can keep posting to make sure the topic doesn't end up closed.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I say stay get the key if people don't get their ###### ### in here and post.

Yes. Because people don't have lives. Or homework. Or work.

Some of us have to pay for gas, college and other things. And money isn't free. Some of us have high school to contend with, rather strict ones from the look of it.

So yeah. I'm against what you suggest. Punishing people for life is foolish.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I say stay get the key if people don't get their ###### ### in here and post.

Calm. Down. Because bringing curses into what was a perfectly reasonable discussion is distinctly unreasonable, and behavior totally (And I mean completely) unfitting for a staff member.

People have lives. And in case you hadn't noticed, everything starts to slow down in April, because schools start to pile on the work.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I'm in high school, and I'm still managing a AB grade while doing this. Five bucks says i can do this still in four more years.

I got exams coming up in May. I'm still going around and making sure people don't do things wrong. Besides I had a bad day today in Algebra. I'll calm down when I have a whole week of good days in that class.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

So you're punishing us because things aren't going well for you.

I could go into a whole host of reasons as to why I should theoretically be acting much worse under that philosophy, but instead I say this:

Cool it, kiddo, and don't leave vaguely implied orders (with blatant, though slightly censored vulgarity to boot), just because you're apparently able to keep up with everything and still have time in the day for this. Newsflash, some of us don't, and truth be told, that sort of behaviour is rather immature and unbefitting one who is supposed to be staff and a "good example" for the players.

Edited by Ilyusha Blokfase

profiles i guess

Yeah. This RPG isn't long for this world with such an immature staff member aboard. Low quality staff is never a good sign.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I echo all of the above.

Simple fact is, many people don't have the amount of time you claim to. Plus, dude, you're a freshmen. Call me when you're a senior, a junior, or even a sophomore and taking all honors level classes. Time vanishes. Fast.

And even if it didn't, you have absolutely no right to be calling players out on inactivity. If they're inactive, chances are they have a good reason. Or perhaps they just don't want to be active. And if it's the former, which this behavior is certainly pushing some towards, you have a serious issue. And either way, while you have the right to complain or make judgements on a lot of things,

Inactivity isn't one of them.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

I ain't punishing y'all for what I'm feeling today. I'm doing so cause I've been waiting for days for some Spartans to enter and save the key from being stolen, what do we get, it's stolen. Now, I only see four headed for it.

Keeping cool is like keeping a beast contained. I struggle with it everyday.

Demoralization, Bullying, Immature actions by others who call themselves, 'Gangsta'. I see it every day, every second, and even into my dreams. Their words and actions screwed into my brain for the rest of my life.

Besides I'm trying to learn from this RPG so I can hopefully jump-start my own. It may not even happen.

I'll keep that in mind, since I will be taking an honor course next year.

I'm just making things clear here, since Axilus, me , and Kathis have been waiting on this. And I respect those whose classes are keeping them behind, who said I was going to do anything for that. Nick is taking night classes which is serious stuff.

Now, let's get back to the voting shall we?

Edited by Flaredrick: Forgotten One

As to your last post: You aren't the only one. Keep control of your emotions, and keep calm, instead of taking it out on us.

Which, in fact, you pretty much were, and now you're adding more complaining to the whole "nobody's gone for the key" argument. When we feel up to posting, we'll post. Basically abusing us and coming up with excuses as to why you did is going to do nothing but drive us away.

profiles i guess

You know what, I'm going to take a break for a week. It's time for things to shift into a whole new gear for me.

And by this I mean from this RPG.

I think it's time for people to know what goes on inside my head all this time, so with this, I'm starting a story based on my FFFC entry, and another via Bionicle.

Edited by Flaredrick: Forgotten One

I have so much I could say right now, I really do. But since my darker sense of humor are harder to appreciate here, let me just skip right along...

My vote - null. I personally feel, from a story perspective, that we're at a dead end. There's not enough players active for a major battle to take place, whether by their fault or the more likely scenario of having work to do. It doesn't make sense to continue a fight for this long. But if i were to come to a full conclusion, take the third route. Even if this RPG has been called out as a railroad, there are things called junctions.

Take the third route. Let the key get stolen, but at least allow the players efforts to effect the tide of the battle (didn't Grochi take down two hunters pretty much singelhandely earlier, because if he did, that's at least seven or eight normal marines who survived to fight later on) in even the slightest amount to be factored in. Cause `Mdama to take some kind of penalty. Allow players to give chase or whatever. Let a tracker be on the ship or something, so that the story can continue in different ways.

That's my advice.

- Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I see you people still posting on BZP. But not in this RPG. Now, when that goes on for three days, no problem. But two weeks makes me start to think no one cares at all whether or not 'Mdama gets the key, or if they get to play an active role, or anything.

Every single player in this game has an opportunity (without some silly contest) to play as huge a role here as the Chosen Toa or whatever their team was called play in the BZPRPG. (Speaking of which, no one who actually enjoys that game has the right to accuse me of railroading) But no one is taking it.

Yes, I have school and life too. Why do you think I haven't posted a comic in months? I haven't even made one panel in months. But it takes a lot more effort to put ideas into graphic imagery and have it look fairly good (Or at least as good as a sprite comic can look without spending over an hour for each panel) than to write it down in a few paragraphs of text.

Levacius, that is the best idea I have seen in this topic for a long time. Who else is up for that?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Every single player in this game has an opportunity (without some silly contest) to play as huge a role here as the Chosen Toa or whatever their team was called play in the BZPRPG. (Speaking of which, no one who actually enjoys that game has the right to accuse me of railroading) But no one is taking it.

Yes, I have school and life too. Why do you think I haven't posted a comic in months? I haven't even made one panel in months. But it takes a lot more effort to put ideas into graphic imagery and have it look fairly good (Or at least as good as a sprite comic can look without spending over an hour for each panel) than to write it down in a few paragraphs of text.

Well, for one thing, others of us think it takes more work to write a good, descriptive post than make a comic. That doesn't matter.

And as to the first part, one, that's not even what happens, and two, you just seem really bitter towards that game and its staff in general, as evidenced even in the rules section of the RPG.

It's rather unbecoming.

profiles i guess

My comics are long. Over 10 panels on average. But I guess it depends on the person somewhat.

The staff aren't bad, they're just...well, not exactly approachable. I can't ask a question the same way I'd ask it to any other user without ending up in a bad position.

And the society is a bit elitist. If you're new, everyone is undoubtedly courteous to you, and can be helpful, but you generally can't jump in and be a hero.

Plus plot railroading and choosing six out of 20+ players to have a major part in the plot (And one that isn't decided by their individual and team actions in the fight with Makuta) just seems wrong.

I also get a bit irritated whenever I see something that's screaming, "Oh, by the way, we sorted this out on PM, and we have decided the outcome of the fight, and when to autohit, and we can bunny each other's chars constantly, and it's all ok." They might as well go to the Epics forum and write a multi-author series.

If you happen to be in the area of or come across any such pre-planned interaction? No, you most certainly can't speak to or attack anyone, because that would mess with the railroading.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Yeah, no, you can most certainly ask them anything in any way. Tuck, Nuju, Emzee, they're all pretty cool.

The second is incorrect, because anybody with an amount of writing ability can jump in and help out, and the better a writer you are, the better you go. Unless you just mean new to writing in general, but even then people are able to go off and do their own thing, or still join the main plot.

And it isn't plot railroading, when a lot of stuff has happened that weren't parts of the plot in the first place, the most major being the destruction of the Nui-Rama Hive, or Bad Company (including yours truly) assassinating the Turaga. The plot in that RPG is mutable.

As to those last two paragraphs, just because people decided to work something out beforehand doesn't change much, and it actually isn't the super-common thing you seem to portray it as, and that isn't even railroading at all. Sure, they may have decided things beforehand and want to go through with it, but every post is still something new, and another person can always jump in, if they actually want to write instead of just fight for no reason.

If you want to continue this, continue it over skype.

profiles i guess

One does not simply use Skype in school.

Also, if you ask them a question or make a statement that could even be taken as suggesting that their decision was wrong, you have a 50-80% chance of getting in an extremely troublesome spot.

If I were like that, you would have been reduced to only being able to use Grunt chars or something.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I was going to stay quiet in all of this. Really, I was.

One does not simply use Skype in school.

Also, if you ask them a question or make a statement that could even be taken as suggesting that their decision was wrong, you have a 50-80% chance of getting in an extremely troublesome spot.

If I were like that, you would have been reduced to only being able to use Grunt chars or something.

But this takes it too far.

I do not think you truly realize why you have had the experiences with the BZPRPG staff you have had. So I have decided to take it upon myself to explain them to you. The staff of the BZPRPG are quite reasonable people, and I say this as someone who for the better part of my first year of the game was positively terrified of Nuju, Tuck, and even Emzee. EW scared me, and he wasn't even staff. He still isn't. But they are some of the most reasonable people I have ever encountered on BZPower, and I have never once seen an instance where they were not willing to listen to the arguments put forward by the other side, and at least consider them. To cite one specific instance, when KNI decided to gather a bunch of people and make an airship, they not only listened to the complaints when it was smited, but they outlined every bit of logic behind their decision. I hated the decision, but their logic was sound. And they took the time to deal with that, when really they could have simply chosen to smite it and be done with it. When I decided to PM Nuju about something, rather than instantly telling me the idea wouldn't work, we had a conversation about what I could do to make it work.

You have had all these bad dealings with staff members because in most of them, you had broken the rules. I remember quite specifically the instances involving your Tranformers expies, Galvatroth in particular, and the repeated times that Nuju himself had to step in, and order you to kill him, and leave him dead. You say that the staff railroad, you say that they cause elitist behavior, you say that they are unreasonable, and that they punish you for asking questions.

Nothing could be further from the truth. That staff plot that you've been complaining about since this game started? It was changed. Repeatedly. Players didn't act, so new players, players that were never once involved in the contest, players that decided they felt like getting involved, stepped up, and took the place of the inactive. Characters became involved quite heavily simply because their players felt like getting involved. There was no railroading. Was the ending planned? Yes it was. But the way that that ending occurred has changed dramatically. The Hive battle was never planned for, it was something spur of the moment that the staff incorporated into their plans. The Chosen Six were not meant to have two of their number replaced, but they did anyway, because the players responsible weren't pulling their weight, and there were other characters that were. Elitist behavior? Are you kidding me? I have watched experienced players bend over backwards to help the newer players improve and get better. In fact, Hubert did it with you.

In contrast, this game has had blatant railroading (Teleporting elite, anyone?), an unreasonable GM (Issues with activity, defending an unreasonable move, complaining about activity some more), and no actual way for the players to influence the plot to speak of. And I say this because when pushed about the elite, your own words were "There wasn't time for anyone to act". If you really wanted us to try, you would have given us a shot. And then you have the gall to complain that your players aren't active, when all of the ones that have piped up have perfectly good reason not to be.

I was going to stay completely quiet for this. But when you insist on insulting a great game, with a great playerbase, and a great staffing team, and insist that your own is better, because it lacks so many of the other's perceived flaws, I cannot stay quiet. I would love to see this game continue, and improve. But I will not listen to you complain about another game, because people like their methods better.

If you wish to continue this discussion, feel free to shoot me a PM since you can't use Skype. Or hit me up on Skype when you do get home. I'm on break, I'll be awake.

Have a good evening, or afternoon. Whichever time period you are currently inhabiting.

fK5oqYf.jpg

I will keep that very illuminating and insightful correction in mind.

Also, it was twice. Because of the time with KNI, and then the time you expied your own expy and he ordered him killed. Third, there is no escalation here but what you decide to make of it. By all rights, everyone here has been very calm about this.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Uh, that was a Promethean, not an Elite. And all Prometheans have the ability to teleport.

Oh, and he told me only once to kill Galvy.

I don't feel the need to PM or Skype either of you on this subject. I don't want this to escalate.

First, #KalamaArgument

Second, you do realize that not acknowledging and responding to the other person's arguments is the same as conceding to them and admitting they're true, right?

profiles i guess

What's a Kalama Argument?

So, you're saying that when my younger brother is calling me a "poopybrain" and I refuse to speak to him about it so that he doesn't get mad and try to stab me with a kitchen knife like he always does when he's getting crazy, I am admitting to being a "poopybrain"? What kind of logic is that?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Bloody... and I thought I could yell at a GM. Thanks for making me feel insecure in my ability to yell at somone over the internet, Krayzikk. :|

Axilus, I'll adress you first since you're the GM. Threaten your NPCs all you want, and make jokes to the PCs. You can even intimidate them with the threat of what they're encountering; duping the players into thinking they're walking into certain death dates back to the first RPGs, after all. And I am so fond of that. But don't outright threaten them with punishments. Either they've done something to deserve a punishment, or they haven't. Warnings are one thing, but the threat of punishment is not something to give. And so far, I have seen nothing worthy of that. Generally, this lot has been right on the money about what they've brought up. I could probably say what Krayzikk said better if you gave me twenty minutes and a thesaurus so I could replace sixty percent of the words with longer ones holding synonymous meaning. But I believe the phrase I'm looking for is, "I couldn't have said it better myself."

Except for maybe the BZPRPG stuff, but I could care less about that. Too much work for me to worry about that. My reasons for not joining are my own, stemming less from the staff and players but from other reasons. What I do know - everyone needs to stop mentioning it. This isn't BZPRPG. Nobody, staff or player, should be talking about it on here.

The rest of you, this is what I have to say. Especially when you employ this ridiculous mob mentality of attempting to target the same person at once. If you have a problem, then it's a matter involving just yourself. The only reason I'm getting invovled is becuase of how long it's been going. It's also highly hypocritical, because I've had my own arguments with a few of you and been given quite a lot of flak for having the gall to argue with a Co-GM to an RPG. And if you planned on doing it, don't give some sort of whiny reply about how the situation matters because it doesn't you jackwagon; live by your own rules. I can also say that it's highly frustrating having to argue with numerous people at once, so the fact that there's this many people involved is not going to make Axilus more prone to doing what you want. It's just going to make a frustrated GM with a bitter player base.

This is why tabletop RPGs are always better social activities. The ability to actually look into another persons eyes and understand the consequences of what you're going to do or say makes this kind of stuff less likely to happen.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

EDIT: Font is easier to read.

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

That's not an argument.

If he provided semi-logical reasons as to why you were a poopybrain, you would have to argue back and defend yourself with another knife, or a shield of some sorts, otherwise you're admitting to being a poopybrain.

However, in any debate (listed in the rules of actual competition debates, and known as a basically unalterable fact of other debates, like this public debate here), not providing any response to an argument basically constitutes your implying you are unable to counter, meaning you are all but agreeing with them.

AKA you're basically saying you can't do anything but agree with us, but no, because that would make you look bad.

profiles i guess

Ok, twice. But the word "several" suggests at least 3-5.

---

Ok, first off, Levacius, I appreciate the fact that you are being very reasonable.

Anyway, I wasn't threatening them with any OOC punishment, the punishments laid out in the first post are for breaking the core OOC rules of the game, doing things from "beyond the fourth wall" so to speak. However, in a real military setting, failure to board the first time the order was given could result in a dishonorable discharge. And I keep a time system here for a reason. If something happens, and one person replies to it, the majority must reply before the game can go on. This means that behavior like this and disregard for the battle is quite literally preventing the game from being played. So, for the sake of realism, I put in a possibility of IC punishment for their chars. I put a warning in here so that people would have a chance to avoid said punishment.

Mentioning the BZPRPG is basically my fault, sorry about that. But I'm trying to avoid some of its elements that I find are contradictory to this game, and some people seem to want these very elements.

I agree, having to argue with multiple people at one time brings out a murderous rage in me that is suppressed only the fact that none of them are within a mile of my location. Not that I'd actually attempt to murder them if they were here, but the reason why I am not visibly angry to everyone in this classroom is that fact.

Yeah, being able to see and hear the others helps. It's why I'm infinitely better at custom games with friends than on matchmaking in Halo.

---

I don't need a knife or a shield when my little brother is the opponent. With that aside, I don't participate in public competitions like that.

Anyway, it's not that I have no argument, it's more like I have no argument that you would even take seriously. I've been in enough arguments with you to know that what I would have said would have resulted in nothing but stupid responses that make me need to cool off, watch a good movie, and play some Halo before I can talk in a civilized manner to you again.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

The only thing I'm going to say towards that last paragraph is that my responding to your arguments in my usual manner =/= me not taking them seriously. In fact, I only provide anything more than a "meh don't care" when I do take things seriously. And I'm terribly sorry you find my responses stupid, m'boy.

As to that one about your brother: If you don't need to defend yourself, smack some sense into him, and remove the knife from his grasp.

profiles i guess

I mean a literal smack, in case you didn't get that part.

Anyways,

By not take them seriously, I mean sort of respond as if they aren't legitimate responses. Which is what I find stupid.

I'm not sure I ever do this except for when I mean to have people notice "oh, this argument is stupid, why do we even continue with it."

Edited by Ilyusha Blokfase

profiles i guess

No, I'm not. Trust me.

I could be mistaken, but I'm definitely not making stuff up intentionally. I have a tendency to forget the most embarrassing moments of my life as life goes on, which is why my mind has been utterly wiped of all but three memories from second grade, and over a hundred memories after that.

My extreme levels of noobishness from a year or two ago fall into the category of things I can barely remember.

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

The atmosphere in here is very hostile. Axilus may have gone overboard with the threat of IC punishment (with all the NPC Spartans on board it seems like a couple of them could have gone to guard the key, no?) but yikes... These players are vicious.Anyway, I'm still going to make a character and join shortly. RPG looks like it might implode soon but hopefully not before I get a go at it. :P

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.