RPG Contest #27 Final Poll

Pick your favorite entries  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

RPG Contest #27 Final PollView the contest thread here.View the full list of submissions here.Final Poll will run March 29 - 11:59 PM Eastern March 31.You can select THREE entries!

I have voted for entries 2, 4, and 5.

Entry 4 (Undying) is I believe the best RPG to be entered during this contest, and I whole heartedly endorse it winning in these polls.

Entry 2 (Desolation) is my choice because if someone started singing "One of these things is not like the other", the western would probably be the choice out of this poll. I also happen to have found more inspiration behind characters to create in this RPG than in the other ones I was wondering about for third, so needless to say it's my choice.

Entry 5 (Mystery) is my final (first?) choice. I put full support behind my RPG, but that's because I know what's (most likely) going to happen and think there's a great story to be told that I have presented there and don't want to see the opprotunity lost out here. I might take a moment to advertise here, but as it turns out if you advertise this contest, you just get a bunch of people saying how terrible it is to advertise on the topic. So yeah, let it happen as it happens.

Predictions: Last contest, I tried my hand at predicting which RPGs would win and I believe I predicted all three correctly. So, based on former results, this is what I'm going to go with - The Best Laid Plans is going to secure and easy and comfortable spot in first, regardless of any other activities by other RPGs. Karz'd late minute entries (Tyler, you ever going to get to that PM?)

Desolation actually... did surprisingly well. I guess entering in the last few days really helps out. I should consider trying my hand at it. This getting second would make me rather happy, but honestly, it getting third - which is also likely, if not more likely - would still be a win.

Undying will be getting either second or third. Which one will be more certain at the end of the contest. This would also make me happy.

Seriously folks, actually discuss the poll. It's the final poll. No time for boring numbers.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Quite simple, 1, 2 and 3.

I'll be honest, not entirely sure what people are seeing in Undying thats so great. Just seems to be nothing more than "Here are these dudes, they fight those dudes". Nothing to do other than tussle with the same set of bad guys over and over again. Can't explore because the whole world's a wasteland and we're stuck on Destral. Can't try to plot to take over one of the factions because the only faction leader we know about is confirmed to be nigh-on invincible and just respawns if we do manage to kill him.

And while I appreciate the need for an actual cost to having the Wild Hunt be killed, 24 in-game hours could be anything. Unless there's some sort of day-long time skip after every battle the banished ghost could be left out of all kinds of interaction. If it were me I'd go with your Appendix Update suggestion to lessen the respawn time but relax the rules on autohitting. You can't outright kill a Wild Hunt PC but you can hurt them more than you could a refugee PC

7AOYGDJ.jpg

2, 3, and 5, honestly I don't see much of a plot line for Undying just fighting an undying enemy I don't see it going anywhere.

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

Quite simple, 1, 2 and 3. I'll be honest, not entirely sure what people are seeing in Undying thats so great. Just seems to be nothing more than "Here are these dudes, they fight those dudes". Nothing to do other than tussle with the same set of bad guys over and over again. Can't explore because the whole world's a wasteland and we're stuck on Destral. Can't try to plot to take over one of the factions because the only faction leader we know about is confirmed to be nigh-on invincible and just respawns if we do manage to kill him.And while I appreciate the need for an actual cost to having the Wild Hunt be killed, 24 in-game hours could be anything. Unless there's some sort of day-long time skip after every battle the banished ghost could be left out of all kinds of interaction. If it were me I'd go with your Appendix Update suggestion to lessen the respawn time but relax the rules on autohitting. You can't outright kill a Wild Hunt PC but you can hurt them more than you could a refugee PC

I'll keep that suggestion in mind, but I'll also note that I'm not, in fact, you. Yes, you're stuck on Destral. Your point? Yes, you're stuck in perpetual battle. Here's a thing, which I have accented over and over again - if you're still stuck in that battle by the end of the season, you're playing it wrong. The whole freaking POINT of the game is breaking out of this battle, which you seem to have mistaken for a constant Team Fortress 2 game. You seem to have somehow ignored this, although it's the whole point. Try to actually get what you're reading before backlashing at me.

2, 3, and 5, honestly I don't see much of a plot line for Undying just fighting an undying enemy I don't see it going anywhere.

Well that's good, because I see it going lots of places, so if that was your only complaint, we can go home.

-Dovydas, on the way home from Sweden.

Edited by Eduard Bernstein

Quite simple, 1, 2 and 3. I'll be honest, not entirely sure what people are seeing in Undying thats so great. Just seems to be nothing more than "Here are these dudes, they fight those dudes". Nothing to do other than tussle with the same set of bad guys over and over again. Can't explore because the whole world's a wasteland and we're stuck on Destral. Can't try to plot to take over one of the factions because the only faction leader we know about is confirmed to be nigh-on invincible and just respawns if we do manage to kill him.And while I appreciate the need for an actual cost to having the Wild Hunt be killed, 24 in-game hours could be anything. Unless there's some sort of day-long time skip after every battle the banished ghost could be left out of all kinds of interaction. If it were me I'd go with your Appendix Update suggestion to lessen the respawn time but relax the rules on autohitting. You can't outright kill a Wild Hunt PC but you can hurt them more than you could a refugee PC

I'll keep that suggestion in mind, but I'll also note that I'm not, in fact, you. Yes, you're stuck on Destral. Your point? Yes, you're stuck in perpetual battle. Here's a thing, which I have accented over and over again - if you're still stuck in that battle by the end of the season, you're playing it wrong. The whole freaking POINT of the game is breaking out of this battle, which you seem to have mistaken for a constant Team Fortress 2 game. You seem to have somehow ignored this, although it's the whole point. Try to actually get what you're reading before backlashing at me.

My my aren't we a little touchy. I offer an opinion of your game that isn't positive and you lash out in a most volatile fashion. You might want to learn to take criticism a little better if you're going to enter contests. Life's full of them after all.

In rebuttal I point out this; If I have apparently missed the point of your RPG is that not on you for not making the point clear enough? Look at how how you spend most of your time; describing the combat mechanics of fighting as or against the Wild Hunt. Mentioning how the rest of the world is a destroyed ruin. Emphasising how endless the war is. You do nothing but tell us how much we're supposed to fight, how it is we're supposed to fight, where it is we're supposed to fight. You don't characterise the Wild Hunt as anything other than zealous bad guys fighting because they don't know how to do anything else, and quash any chance of a PC leading them to do something else by mentioning Radamir is invincible (and see my previously mentioned point about him just respawning even if we are clever enough to beat him). So I apologise if I have "missed the point" of your RPG but from my view that seems to be because you've forgotten to actually put one in there

7AOYGDJ.jpg

1 Best Laid Plans- Even without the interesting setting and detective opportunities, the fact that Tyler is hosting it makes me want to vote for this one.

4 Undying- Immediately character ideas sprang into my head. Also has a very interesting setting. Trapped in a ruined Makuta fortress offers a lot of possibilities.

5 MYSTERY- I can't say it any better than Lev did in his many posts extolling the virtues of this RPG. Go read them in the official topic if you want.

I think I may find myself participating in all three RPGs, unless something very unexpected happens.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

@ TPTI & Dovydas Coming Home From Sweden;

Perhaps I should rephrase my previous position with an older one - Undying is my favorite RPG in the contest, not the best one. If I were to go with best one then I'd vote for my own, and let the naysayers continue neighing. I put a lot of time into writing that RPG, and close to twice as much writing the stuff behind the scenes and the covered backstory so that I could guarantee it would be entertaining. It would appear some people think otherwise, as the preliminary polls had people not voting for it when they still had three votes left.

I believe there is a failure upon both your parts in some departments; ergo I shall address you both.

TPTI; The RPG is rather bare-bones in terms of worldspace, but keep in mind that we have a whole of 100,000 years of Bionicle storyline that goes beforehand. We have a ruined, post-apocalyptic wordl proceeding a (rather short, in Bionicle terms) highly destructive war betwen the strongest factions of the Matoran Universe and whatever forces they may have been aligned with during its course. Destral provides an opprotunity for characters who are treausre hunters and the like. The Hunt actualyl does allow for some subversions; something I confirmed during the review I performed, as far as how characters can behave; this opens some more interesting character opprotunities. There's the ability to have shell-shocked veterans from the war that preceded in the past and old soldiers of that time. You can always just come up with other characters based on the actual situation to fit it. There were opprotunities to make a good character; this, and nothing more, is my reason for preference in it.

Dovy; Please never, ever say that we're stuck on Destral again. Stranded might be a better word choice. Stuck implies way too much that just isn't true. TPTI is right on multiple accounts. The one I'll focus on - Radamir. He's also karz near close Mary Sue status because of how unbelievably (and I mean that by the straight definition of 'not being believed') devoted the Hunt are to him, and how powerful he is. Mostly for the first; how others respond to a character is what marks them as such. The only reason I don't mind the near invincibility status is becasue he's basically set up as the force to be taken down in some way, and an adversary who's weaknesses are apparent fails to add any drama to a story.

I think the largest problem is by demanding someone to "get what they are reading". Any piece of writing is like art; there are many possible interpretations based upon text. This may not apply to all posts, but the thing is, an RPG is a story. And stories can be interpreted. If you demand only a single interpretation to be taken, then you are completely denouncing any connection between the RPG and having a story. I honestly doubt this.

Oh, and Dovy, one last thing. This -

Well that's good, because I see it going lots of places, so if that was your only complaint, we can go home.

Is hardly a valid counterpoint, and you can come up with better than that.

I have a feeling what I'm about to do is going to get me some more if not a lot more backlash and hate, but it I'm doing it anyway.

1 Best Laid Plans- Even without the interesting setting and detective opportunities, the fact that Tyler is hosting it makes me want to vote for this one.

Popularity really only comes into effect when people are trying to decide between two equally good games. Then they usually go with the GM they know they like the game-style of.

Leave your comment.

(And no, Krayzikk, this isn't directed at you; you just happened to be the unfortunate chap to leave the comment.)

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Really, my temper's really short nowadays, even shorter than it usually is; and that's saying a lot. (Consider this a warning, future rulebreakers.) Heck if I know why. I'm not going to beat a dead horse further: let me just say, TPTI, that I'm sorry. I overreacted and overraged (yes that's a word) far too much for it to be rational. Honestly, let's stop arguing and just get back to, you know. The voting. With less of my antitemper involved.

-Dovydas, who is back from Sweden.

Edited by Eduard Bernstein

Lev, it was my impression that people voted for what RPGs they wanted to play, as opposed to blowing all four of their votes for games they don't care about just so everybody felt fuzzy inside.

In addition, Krayzikk's post was totally sound. See:

Then they usually go with the GM they know they like the game-style of.

Visaru and I have played in the BZPRPG together for a lot of years, and he recognizes my gaming style and is intrigued by it. This is my first entry in an RPG contest; obviously people are going to be intrigued enough to give it a shot, with my background, writing style, and vote for it. I'm sorry if they don't want to vote for yours, but honestly, it's not my problem. And it never will be.

Voted for 1, 2, and 4.

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

May I propose a heretical idea that might just be pure wheeesht?

We stop criticizing others' voting choices and go back to having fun instead of arguments.

-Dovydas

I approve of this idea,

Let the best game win. If we keep squabbling over who is the better man the sportsmanship of this contest will be diluted. This is a context -- a game -- so let's all be courteous towards each other instead of trying to fluff feathers.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

I did not criticize voting choices, nor did I criticize the voter or the RPG they were voting for. But a novel idea nevetheless Dovy. And EW as well.

I believe your response proved me quite correct, Tyler, in anticipating backlash. Though you seem confused and assume I am making a direct attack against your RPG. I was not. And perhaps I came off wrong on another subject - I did not say I wanted votes tossed around willy-nilly, I was reinforcing the fact that people seemed to disagree with me on the matter I was discussing in that portion of the paragraph.

2, 3, and 8.

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Guys, why isn't Dystopian getting any love? I mean, really, it's a pretty cool game that deserves some votes.

-Dovydas

As the creator of the RPG, I would advertise it, but there are so many other entires in this contest that deserve the three votes of this final poll.

pNNgXax.jpg

Guys, why isn't Dystopian getting any love? I mean, really, it's a pretty cool game that deserves some votes.

-Dovydas

As the creator of the RPG, I would advertise it, but there are so many other entires in this contest that deserve the three votes of this final poll.

There you go and be so modest.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!