Sonic the Hedgehog series

JiMing

So I know there's gotta be some Sonic fans here. Sure, the series has been through some rough times, but hey, when the games are good, they're good.Anyways, some exciting news has been revealed! Sonic 1 is going to be released on mobile platforms! What makes this so special you may ask? Well, it's not going to be a port or emulation, but a faithful remake by the same guy that did the recent Sonic CD rerelease, which was awesome by the way. This new version of Sonic 1 is going to include new things such as 60 fps gameplay, a remastered soundtrack, and a time attack mode. I think it's going to be awesome, but what do you guys think?

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Hmm, interesting. This could be rather cool, I must say. Is it just the mobile platforms? Because if it gets released on like the PC or so, then I might give it a shot. Heck; if it's released on the 3DS, I might just try it out; any word on if it might come with the Spin Dash, like Sonic CD did(IIRC)?/EDIT: Bluh, iOS/Android only. I really hope it gets released to more than that; because I like playing with, you know, actual controls. =P Would be interested in giving it another playthrough if it went to a console that wasn't touchscreen only, though.

Edited by BZP Blade

I personally like the sidescrollers a little more; but that might change if I can just get used to the controls of the 3D games(Like Colours and Generations); or, heck, play the console version of Generations.Speaking of Generations, if anyone has a 3DS; I highly recommend it for that. ^_^

Sonic Colors was a great game, though there was not enough 3D sections compared to 2D. It also has my second favorite Sonic soundtrack, with some of my favorite songs being Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park. My first favorite Sonic soundtrack is Sonic CD's, which has some of the most varied and funky songs I've ever heard in a videogame.Anyways, I heard that Sonic 2 is going to get a similar remake, which is doubly awesome.

I like Tropical Resort's music, along with the third world, which I'm blanking on the name right now, but know it involves star in it's name. -_-'Sonic 2 getting a remake would be pretty cool too; but I hope it has an easier way of choosing characters; despite it being Tail's first outing, I'm leaving him behind. Solely because of those stupid Special Stages. -_-''' I like Sonic 2; don't get me wrong. But those stages are just terror-filled when you have a two tailed fox that won't listen to your commands trailing behind you and gathering rings you should be getting instead. =P

You mean Starlight Carnival? That stage is awesome, with great music and a great level theme.

Doesn't Tails lag behind you during the Special Stages? That looks pretty annoying.

I have to say, the themes for Tidal Tempest and Wacky Workbench from Sonic CD are really awesome. I love every time period's song, with the exception of the Good Future songs for both.

I think so; it's been a while since I last played Sonic Colours. =P I need to beat it still. xDYep; unless you have another player helping. Which doesn't help me, and would be impossible on anything but a console or the PC, unless they add in local multiplayer. -_- And Tails doesn't even have the grab and fly capabilities from Sonic 3 and Knuckles, so he's pretty useless in 2. =PI haven't played Sonic CD yet... I probably won't, either, until Steam decides to bring their prepaid cards here, or I get a way to pay online. =P

Doesn't Tails lag behind you during the Special Stages? That looks pretty annoying.

Yep. And since you can't control him unless you have a second player, Tails will grab rings and then hit bombs and lose them. The stages are hard enough as-is, but Tails makes them very difficult.-TN05

Yep. And since you can't control him unless you have a second player, Tails will grab rings and then hit bombs and lose them. The stages are hard enough as-is, but Tails makes them very difficult.-TN05
Hmm, well he doesn't do that in Sonic 4 Episode 2. There, Tails follows every move you make instantly, making himself quite useless in single player.

You should be thankful for it if there are special stages like 2, though. =P The actual stages are fine, since he can die without affecting you(and just return two seconds later), but special stages are annoying for that precise reason. SS7 especially. -_-

Hm, I guess that means I'm lucky for not having experienced Sonic 2's Special Stages. Though I might if they rerelease Sonic 2 on Android.

Anyone hear of Sonic: Before the Sequel? It's a fangame by someone who goes by LakeFepard, and tells the events that happen between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, such as showing how Sonic met Tails, or showing them seeing the Death Egg in construction. I've never actually played it, but it looks absolutely amazing. A lot better than Sonic 4 even! Yeah, for some reason, a fangame made by one person is better than a commercial game made by an actual team of people? I dunno how that works. Anyways, the guy who made it is also working on another game called Sonic: After the Sequel, which takes place inbetween Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, so yeah.

Rolling around at the speed of sound,Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.

That is why I cannot like sonic.

....You do realize that's one of the most iconic songs from Sonic? And besides, the rest of the song is pretty awesome.

I played a Sonic game on the PS2. That's all I got lol

Sonic Heroes? Shadow the Hedgehog?

....You do realize that's one of the most iconic songs from Sonic? And besides, the rest of the song is pretty awesome.

Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out!

Must keep on moving ahead

No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.

Uh.

To be fair it has a pretty sexy bassline.

Majhost sucks

Uh.

You don't have to like it, but you do realize that you're the minority opinion about the song, right?

And plus other songs in the series are awesome. I haven't met anyone who hasn't heard the tune to Green Hill Zone at least once, Chemical Plant Zone has an amazing tune too, and the ending theme to Sonic 2 is absolutely beautiful. The modern games also have awesome soundtracks, Planet Wisp is one of my favorite songs in the series.

Uh.

You don't have to like it, but you do realize that you're the minority opinion about the song, right?

And plus other songs in the series are awesome. I haven't met anyone who hasn't heard the tune to Green Hill Zone at least once, Chemical Plant Zone has an amazing tune too, and the ending theme to Sonic 2 is absolutely beautiful. The modern games also have awesome soundtracks, Planet Wisp is one of my favorite songs in the series.

The original sonic games were awesome. I've played Sonic 1 and 2 on the Genesis and they were really good.

Most of the the games after Sonic and Knuckles have ranged from okay to very bad. Even the sonic adventure series hasn't aged very well.

But that's my opinon.

Majhost sucks

Well, the Sonic series is having a comeback to a lot of people. Sonic Colors was an awesome game, and Sonic Generations seemed to be doubly awesome.

I've only played the re-release of Sonic CD, which was awesome. But there's going to be a similar re-release for iOS and Android, and I plan to pick that up too.

Reckoner: It's not plan, it's path. Aka, get out of the city, ASAP, or a giant truck will run you over.Also, miniboss theme from Knuckles, miniboss theme from 3, boss theme from 3 & Knuckles, Angel Island, Flying Battery, Final Boss(Sonic 3 version)... There's a ton of awesome songs from Classic. =P There's also quite a few from the recent games as well.

I went to play Sonic Generations yesterday. I then realised I had the wrong Hard Drive in and all my data was on the other one. I thought, "Screw it, I might as well start a new game." I completed it later that day. I don't remember it being that short, but it certainly felt good to be so fast ^-^ Time Eater was also surprisingly bearable with the music changed to What I'm Made of.

... Okay, that WOULD be an awesome fight with that music. Heck, any stage would be awesome with it. xDIf I ever get Generations, I'm probably gonna do that too. =PAlso; in Sonic 1 news, the spindash has been confirmed! For a while, but still. =P It's apparently optional as well. Also, here's hoping it does well and it continues onto, say, Sonic 3, and then Sonic and Knuckles.(Because I want them to be separate games; sure, 3 & Knuckles is the 'true' version, but it's still nice to play Knuckles individually, and here 'WHOO COME ON!' Miniboss music. That, or just use that for the Knuckles fight, as was done in some fan takes on the game. =P

I don't have any collection games yet; though I want Mega Collection myself; or maybe hope for there to be a Adventure/Adventure 2/Heroes triple pack so I can try out that mini-series for the first time. =P(I still say that Heroes is Adventure 3; the only real difference between it and the other two are that you play as two other characters at the same time, from what I've seen...

Well, it's more Adventure 3 than Sonic '06, which a lot of people like to say. Plus, it's in the 'trio' of games in Generations, which makes sense, considering they were all the same 'Era'.A true Adventure 3 would be nice, though I would kinda like more sidescrollers, after they proved they can still pull them off well with Colours and Generations. =P Even if it's only a 'sidegame' like Advance and Rush.

Which is exactly what I said. =P I know the lyrics, so it's definitely path. =P

Ok, that was me derping earlier. I typo'd.

The lyrics say plan. I copy pasted them earlier. All of the sites say plan, including the sonic wiki.

Edited by Reckoner

Majhost sucks

Huh. I always say path... Still, it does kinda make sense; you seem to forget that there's a huge van chasing you dangerously through part of the level, and soldiers trying to kill you otherwise; best idea is to get out of the city ASAP. =P

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have played Sonic 4: Episode 2; could you describe what the special stages are like...? Because I have this terrible feeling that I'm about to hate them a LOT, whenever I get the opportunity to play it, which is likely to be sooner, rather than later, thanks to that deal on Steam. =P

They're actually not too bad. The controls arent as slippery as Sonic 2, and Tails doesn't really do much, plus he doesn't lose rings if he hits a bomb in single player.

... Oh man, now I wanna play the special stages; they'll probably be my favo- No, wait, nevermind, that would be Generations 3DS. I doubt there's any way that'll change, those stages are pretty much the perfect way to do special stages; maybe change the balloons to rings for future games(Since ring energy powers the boost gauge in everything but Rush/Adventure and Colours, so it'd make sense. =P), but otherwise perfect. =P

But yeah. I was worried when I saw that it was using the Sonic 2 half-pipe... With tails following you... And bombs being present. It was bringing back bad memories of attempting and failing to get that last Chaos Emerald. =P

What were Episode 1's special stages like, though? I don't need to ask about the Adventure series' non-existent Special Stages for obvious reasons. =P

Episode 1's special stages were like Sonic 1's stages, only you moved the stage around and not Sonic. They're okay I guess, but theres a time limit, some stages are maze like, and bumpers are really annoying.

... Okay, Sega, why did we never get Episode 3 yet? I want the Insta-Shield and Blue Spheres back now. >_> Knuckles too, but only if there's a Data Select thingy like S3&K, so that you can do multiple playthroughs. ... Basically, I want a 3D S3&K. =P And Homing Attacks are cool... But Insta-Shield is just so useful.