Official number of fingers

So it's kind of been a mystery for me mainly because most Bionicle sets had no fingers. The Toa Mata in set form (only Tahu, Lewa, and Pohatu) have 2 fingers on those original block hands, Onua has 3 on each hand and Gali and Kopaka hold weapons. Also in Bionicle The Game the Toa Mata and the Toa Nuva have 2 fingers, but in the Miramax films Matoran, Toa, and Turaga have 5, while the Toa Hordika, Keetongu, Roodaka and others have 4. In the movie I believe Teridax also had 5. Bionicle Heroes shows the Toa Inika and Piraka with 4 fingers. Hydraxon, Axonn, and Takanuva '08 in set form also have 4 fingers.

The Legend Reborn and most Glatorian sets (besides Fero and Malum) make it pretty clear that Glatorian and Agori have 4 fingers, but when the Stars were released, the ones from the MU (Tahu, Takanuva, Piraka, and Rahkshi) used the Glatorian hand.

My question is, is there a standard number of fingers per species? Or does it vary? Do all Matoran, Toa, and Turaga have the same number of fingers? Do all Glatorian and Agori have the same number of fingers? Do all Makuta have the same number of fingers? And so on and so forth will all the other species.

I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

• Upvote 1

I think the amount of fingers can vary accoridng to species. At least the Matoran species always have 5 fingers, but for example the Makuta may have differing number of fingers, depending on the armor they are inhabiting.

Another interesting thing about Matoran might be that perhaps whent hey were rebuilt after the Bohrok-Kal strike, they gained more fingers? Cause before they had those disc-launching hands... not really sure. Also, the Toa Mata may have had 2 fingers as Mata, but when transformed into Nuva, they got more... though this is unlikely.

Probably they have a fixed number of fingers. Usually 5.

• Upvote 1

Cause before they had those disc-launching hands... not really sure.

I'm not sure if the number of "fingers" or sections of those launcher pieces was canon. I think it'd be pretty odd to make them all with a certain type of hand just so that they could toss bamboo disks. :P

• Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I'm not sure if the number of "fingers" or sections of those launcher pieces was canon. I think it'd be pretty odd to make them all with a certain type of hand just so that they could toss bamboo disks. :P

They are mostly mechanical, and they were somewhat mutated from being in those pods for too long. Since they had to be rebuilt into stronger forms later, they might actually have lost some fingers from the first transformation. Of course, the set version of the rebuilt Matoran looked pretty strange, and they looked very different from the eventual movie form. It's canon that the rebuilt forms are supposed to be similar to the original Metru forms, so we can probably guess that rebuilt Matoran = Metru Matoran in terms of fingers and other basic features. In that case, they have five.
  • Upvote 1

5 for all species or just Matoran, Toa, and Turaga?

I'm sure Toa, Turaga, and Matoran have only five fingers. As for the other species, it would just depend. Some probably would have five fingers. Others would vary.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Preeeetty sure you're just supposed to assume they all "really" have humanlike hands, and brush aside the rest as artistic license. I doubt the story team ever sat down and said "this one actually has only four". I certainly don't recall Greg ever commenting on it (though I didn't see everything he ever said so who knows).

One thing we can say for sure is that the sets that didn't show fingers are only representations in that respect. The Toa Mata had normal humanlike hands, just like their MOL Nuva portrayals. (Those sets actually DID portray fingers, loosely, with Tahu and Lewa in the hands they weren't holding anything with, though.) Same with Matoran and all relatives.

No idea if the same is true of Agori/Glatorian, but I see no reason to assume otherwise. The Matoran/Toa were based on Agori/Glatorian (by the GBs).

Other MU species might be different but I doubt it. Not until you start getting into the humanoidish Rahi.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Preeeetty sure you're just supposed to assume they all "really" have humanlike hands, and brush aside the rest as artistic license. I doubt the story team ever sat down and said "this one actually has only four". I certainly don't recall Greg ever commenting on it (though I didn't see everything he ever said so who knows).

One thing we can say for sure is that the sets that didn't show fingers are only representations in that respect. The Toa Mata had normal humanlike hands, just like their MOL Nuva portrayals. (Those sets actually DID portray fingers, loosely, with Tahu and Lewa in the hands they weren't holding anything with, though.) Same with Matoran and all relatives.

No idea if the same is true of Agori/Glatorian, but I see no reason to assume otherwise. The Matoran/Toa were based on Agori/Glatorian (by the GBs).

Other MU species might be different but I doubt it. Not until you start getting into the humanoidish Rahi.

So did the Glatorian hand piece with 4 fingers, was it an accurate portrayal? Do Agori and Glatorian have 4 fingers?

• Upvote 1

I would assume they had a thumb and four fingers, regardless of the sets. But who knows, really? :P

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)