Names

1) yeah, probably. if they named themselves. if it was done by a computer, then probably not.

2) yes, most likely. they didn't have the chance to have computers name them, so when they named themselves, they probably had two people with the same name.

We have one comfirmedd case of dual naming: Hydraxon

I wouldn't call Hydraxon a dual-named case. the original Hydraxon was killed, and then dekar was transformed into Hydraxon, minus the memory of his death.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

Well, one major factor is whether Matoran names have meaning or not. For example, I find it rather likely that the Toa Mata's names translate to their elements or more poetic terms related to their elements (so "Kopaka" could mean "ice," or breaking it down into "Ko-pa-ka," ["ice-something-spirit"], a poetic word like "reticence," for example), but this hasn't been confirmed (I actually edited one of my posts in the "Ask GregF a Question" topic to include this question, so hopefully it'll be answered). Anyway, if Matoran names do in fact carry meaning, it'd probably be more likely for there to be beings with the same name than if they didn't.

Another possibility, although once again unconfirmed, is that Matoran spelling varies. English spelling wasn't standardized until the dictionary, so it isn't something to be immediately dismissed. It's possible that there was Ehrye up in Metru Nui and Eryee down on the Southern Continent, and their names would both be pronounced AIR-yee and would mean the same thing, but would be spelled differently as to minimize confusion. Naming Day rituals could also fit in to this, and are evidence that Matoran words can be spelled differently while still being pronounced the same. If there were lots of Matoran with the same name and the same spelling throughout the MU, it could be an honor for a Matoran to be granted a new spelling and to be distinguished from the rest in that way.

We know less about this facet of Agori society, so it's hard to say with them.

Since it's likely that the GBs didn't expect Matoran to have names, I think they name themselves, yes. Therefore, it's possible that two Matoran could have the same name, but I doubt we will ever run into two Matoran named Velika, Takua, or Ahkmou. I think that would be hilarious, though.

Another thing that is possible is that the Turaga keep track of all the Matoran names to ensure that there aren't duplicates. I find that considerably more likely.

Well, one major factor is whether Matoran names have meaning or not. For example, I find it rather likely that the Toa Mata's names translate to their elements or more poetic terms related to their elements (so "Kopaka" could mean "ice," or breaking it down into "Ko-pa-ka," ["ice-something-spirit"], a poetic word like "reticence," for example), but this hasn't been confirmed (I actually edited one of my posts in the "Ask GregF a Question" topic to include this question, so hopefully it'll be answered). Anyway, if Matoran names do in fact carry meaning, it'd probably be more likely for there to be beings with the same name than if they didn't.

Another possibility, although once again unconfirmed, is that Matoran spelling varies. English spelling wasn't standardized until the dictionary, so it isn't something to be immediately dismissed. It's possible that there was Ehrye up in Metru Nui and Eryee down on the Southern Continent, and their names would both be pronounced AIR-yee and would mean the same thing, but would be spelled differently as to minimize confusion. Naming Day rituals could also fit in to this, and are evidence that Matoran words can be spelled differently while still being pronounced the same. If there were lots of Matoran with the same name and the same spelling throughout the MU, it could be an honor for a Matoran to be granted a new spelling and to be distinguished from the rest in that way.

We know less about this facet of Agori society, so it's hard to say with them.

If I recall correctly the Toa Mata were regarded as avatars of their elements and thusly were named after their elements, as not many Toa names start with their elemental prefix. And we know Vezon means "Double", but I'm not sure if it's in Matoran Language or Skakdi Language. Also many Matoran names have the same ending, such as Matoro and Aiyetoro, which may indicate they have a similar meaning.

Edited by {Con Quy}