Now that April Fool's is finally over...

Can someone give me a detailed explanation of what the bejeezus happened yesterday? What were pranks, and what was real? I'm mainly talking about our beloved Bionicle story writer's topic, and the interview BS01 had with him.

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

Here's what I believe, based on numerous discussions I've had with people and some interesting things that were brought to light.

BZP buying Lego AND the BS01 question topic were both jokes. Hilarious jokes, but jokes nonetheless. I believe GregF's topic was a joke in the sense that BIONICLE is not coming back, but I do not believe it was GregF that wrote it. There are two options as far as I see it. Either the staff just got GregF's permission to use his account to do this joke, OR, a scenario which is looking more and more likely, GregF's account was actually compromised by a certain individual.

...and that's as far as I'm going with that. :P

Regardless, marvelous joke all around. You did good, BZP. You did good.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

1. Official statement: "We technically can't say it won't come back"2. Hack prank: "Bionicle's coming back"3. Reply: "That last one was false"4. Your conclusion: "No chance"So AdaptingChaos, it's just as likely as it was before. (Not very.)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

You-know-who broke into GregF's account and proceeded to prank us. I didn't believe it, though. Greg would have told Erebus and had him post it, rather than directly speaking to us, and by now we are pretty sure Bionicle will not come back. I really wished I could have believed it, but logic dictated otherwise.

aouROFb.png

My perspective on the situation is pretty warped, as I only came on briefly yesterday, and I didn't notice Greg's "return". I suppose at the time it will have looked pretty convincing, with Greg's actual account in use, but from where I'm looking its all a pretty blatant con.

My advice would be to take my perspective, and just imagine you didn't come online yesterday. That way, everything is a lot clearer.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

BZPower buying Lego was obviously a joke. The Greg topic is a bit less clear. I highly doubt it was the man himself making the posts, as someone who makes a living out of writing would never make typos like 'intrest' and 'its good news'.

Black Six's closing post states 'After checking the IP addresses used to make these posts from GregF's account, it appears that his account was compromised', but that doesn't tell us who by, how, or why. Also, Black Six's post itself was on April 1st, so the truth of this explanation is open to question (and it does end with 'Please don't take any of this seriously').

BZPower buying Lego was obviously a joke. The Greg topic is a bit less clear. I highly doubt it was the man himself making the posts, as someone who makes a living out of writing would never make typos like 'intrest' and 'its good news'.

Black Six's closing post states 'After checking the IP addresses used to make these posts from GregF's account, it appears that his account was compromised', but that doesn't tell us who by, how, or why. Also, Black Six's post itself was on April 1st, so the truth of this explanation is open to question (and it does end with 'Please don't take any of this seriously').

The imposter did indeed reveal his identity. After B6 locked the topic, he somehow unlocked it and left an additional post telling us of a coded message revealing his identity. IDK how, but as for why... He wanted to troll us for April Fools.

aouROFb.png

The imposter did indeed reveal his identity. After B6 locked the topic, he somehow unlocked it and left an additional post telling us of a coded message revealing his identity.

If he did, it isn't there anymore. I don't suppose anyone has a copy?

Also, why is Greg's account now listed amongst 'Banned Members'?

The imposter did indeed reveal his identity. After B6 locked the topic, he somehow unlocked it and left an additional post telling us of a coded message revealing his identity. IDK how, but as for why... He wanted to troll us for April Fools.

Correction. The IP address from which "Greg's" posts was made, was in fact a proxy. That confirms the actual poster tried to hide his true identity. Technically it still could've been Greg behind that proxy, but that's unlikely, since he has no reason to hide his IP address.During the aftermath, the hacker-who-shall-not-be-named claimed that this was all his doing. However, this particular hacker claims lots of things.

iquXD5X.png

Nah, not Greg... I think it was pretty obvious who it was.Is there some specific reason that we shouldn't mention his screen name? Giving him titles like "hacker-who-shall-not-be-named" gives him more power and influence.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Yo, they was all pranks, and good ones too. Case Closed dogg, glad i could help. B)

That's a ridiculous assertion. Professional writers are human just like anyone and are perfectly capable of making typos. I've seen typos in posts by Greg Farshtey. I'm a professional writer and editor and I make typos frequently.

As professionals, we don't allow typos or grammatical errors in the finished products that we hand to our clients, but casual conversation has no need for such rigorous review (it's not like we get paid to post on BZPower). We're humans; we make errors just like anyone else.

I think it's mostly because he's a banned BZP member.

Technically so is GregF, so by that logic we shouldn't be discussing him at all. OH SNAP.

PS: The whole "We can't mention the names of banned members at all" is like the "posts must be 10 words or less" thing of 2003...it's been treated as law to the point of actually being enforced by overzealous staff members, but it's never been officially on the books (and shouldn't be). The closest thing is a paragraph in the Being Banned on BZPower policy noting that we don't talk about why members were banned. Pay attention to the context. It doesn't at all say we aren't allowed to mention the names of banned members or acknowledge things they did while they were here or even casually mention their existence. What the rule is about is not talking about why the member was banned, because that's between the member and the administration.

There are members who did lots of great and positive things for BZPower before doing some other things that got them banned, and there are members who didn't even do anything wrong, but are banned because they civilly asked to be (as noted in the previously-linked thread). To not be able to mention them while talking about inoffensive BZPower events they participated in or contributed to would be absurd. Heck, by that logic, we wouldn't be allowed to go back and read any threads that banned members participated in, because that's discussion of banned members, especially if someone mentioned their names or replied to them.

But that's absurd. Just like saying we can't mention banned members at all is absurd. If that rule were on the books, it would basically make BZPower the "police state" that the prepubescent anti-BZ kiddos try to portray it as.

But it's not on the books, and BZPower isn't a police state, just a goofy web site.

Basically what I'm saying is everybody calm down about the whole "don't discuss banned members thing." Context, people. It's not as severe as you think it is. The administration isn't a bunch of fascist goons out to get you and you shouldn't be living in fear of them. And yeah, like I said, there are staff members (even high level ones) who incorrectly enforce this but that's just because they're human, and make mistakes just like the rest of us.

Just like professional writers. I came full circle!

Anyway I think the Bionicle-coming-back thing was a hilarious prank, and if it was actually Greg, huge props to him.

EDITED BECAUSE I MADE A TYPO. THAT'S HILARIOUS.

Edited by Captain Lavender
bring back "an cool dude"

Basically what I'm saying is everybody calm down about the whole "don't discuss banned members thing." Context, people. It's not as severe as you think it is. The administration isn't a bunch of fascist goons out to get you and you shouldn't be living in fear of them.

To be fair, the way a protoboost is announced to you might've caused a few heart attacks.But yeah, humans = humans, even if they're writers or have a (voluntary) job. Wow, aren't those things to like, mutate you or something?Also, I'm sure that if the Staff were to actually have been fascist goons, this site wouldn't have become as popular as it did. No matter how good the looks and content of a site, if the people on that site suffered dearly from repeated power abuse by the local Staff, they'll leave.They left BZP as well. Buuuuuuuuuuut that was kinda because Bionicle ended.Anyway, you get the point. Probably.PS. Would seem logical to me that certain rules are enforced less severely around April Fools anyway. Oh, and technically saying "GregF was banned 'cuz hacked" is informing, not discussing. Phew. *wipes sweat off forehead, no longer afraid of fascist goons*

iquXD5X.png

That's a ridiculous assertion. Professional writers are human just like anyone and are perfectly capable of making typos. I've seen typos in posts by Greg Farshtey. I'm a professional writer and editor and I make typos frequently.

As professionals, we don't allow typos or grammatical errors in the finished products that we hand to our clients, but casual conversation has no need for such rigorous review (it's not like we get paid to post on BZPower). We're humans; we make errors just like anyone else.

I respectfully disagree. Firstly, I wouldn't classify the announcement of Bionicle's return as 'casual conversation'. Secondly, Farshtey works for Lego and communicated with us as their representative, and we are Lego enthusiasts and customers, so I'd say we are his clients, even if he isn't paid for posting here. In that context, I'd expect significant news to be above casual standards of writing.

This is my opinion, of course. I don't know what standards Farshtey holds himself to.

-so.... many........ snips.............-

I respectfully disagree. Firstly, I wouldn't classify the announcement of Bionicle's return as 'casual conversation'. Secondly, Farshtey works for Lego and communicated with us as their representative, and we are Lego enthusiasts and customers, so I'd say we are his clients, even if he isn't paid for posting here. In that context, I'd expect significant news to be above casual standards of writing. This is my opinion, of course. I don't know what standards Farshtey holds himself to.

However, this was supposed to be more of a quick 'hey-you-guys-are-awesome-so-here's-some-info-before-we-post-the-big-announcement-'-kinda post. (Which also could've been use strategically to create some conversation around this, even before they would've put out the "official" announcement, therefore increasing the attention the matter of Bionicle's return'd get)

iquXD5X.png

PS: The whole "We can't mention the names of banned members at all" is like the "posts must be 10 words or less" thing of 2003...it's been treated as law to the point of actually being enforced by overzealous staff members, but it's never been officially on the books (and shouldn't be). The closest thing is a paragraph in the Being Banned on BZPower policy noting that we don't talk about why members were banned. Pay attention to the context. It doesn't at all say we aren't allowed to mention the names of banned members or acknowledge things they did while they were here or even casually mention their existence. What the rule is about is not talking about why the member was banned, because that's between the member and the administration.

For the record, the topic you linked to clearly states:

Something that goes hand-in-hand with this is that banned members should not be discussed. They broke the rules and did something wrong, at this point they do not deserve any further attention.

As we've always stated, if you have a problem with the rules, you're always welcome to contact an Administrator to discuss. I would ask, however, that before you go explaining the rules that you have fully read and understood them.As I posted in the other topic, GregF's account appears to have been compromised. It was banned to prevent malicious actions from being taken. Once we're satisfied that no one else has access to his account, the ban will be removed, just like any other member who has had their account hacked.

For the record, the topic you linked to clearly states:

Something that goes hand-in-hand with this is that banned members should not be discussed. They broke the rules and did something wrong, at this point they do not deserve any further attention.

As we've always stated, if you have a problem with the rules, you're always welcome to contact an Administrator to discuss. I would ask, however, that before you go explaining the rules that you have fully read and understood them.

Seeing as what I explained here was exactly how the ordinance was explained to me when I was made staff, and seeing as there's been no announcement of a pointed reversal on that position, and seeing as the context of the paragraph (and common sense, moreover) isn't any different than before, I take some offense to the suggestion that I "don't fully understand the rules."I don't have any problem with the rule as it was put in place so I've had no need to complain. If you're saying that the policy has changed to align with the misconception, and that we literally cannot mention members who've been banned, in any context, then I will immediately lodge a complaint among my many other formally-lodged complaints that I've made over the years (as well as edit out the bit about "BZPower not being a police state" from my post here defending the staff).
bring back "an cool dude"

So did BS01 ever actually have an interview with him at all? A serious one?

We've interviewed him before, and any information posted on BZP and BS01 prior to yesterday was 100% accurate. We do still intend to interview him with these questions, off-site.

bzpsig2015.png

I think the question at hand has been answered like several times already now?

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT or were just too lazy to read through the topic:

- Greg's account was hacked and the message about Bionicle returning was posted by the hacker

NOTE: As Greg is not permitted by LEGO to post on a site like BZP, and this has not changed at all, any rumors about that actually being him posting about Bionicle should stop now.

- BZP buying LEGO (and paying for anything else except our regular site fees, for that matter) was about as real as Candlejack

So I'm going to close this since it seems like the next logical step to take.

Topic

Edited by Hahli Husky