Greg Farshtey's Status

Quick note: S&T Contest 6 should be able to wrap up soon. I talked with bonesiii a little bit, and helped him get the last details squared away. I am under the impression that he just needs to put the final touches and go through the process of announcing winners and making news stories out of it and stuff like that.

That's nice to hear. However, do you mind telling me how long ago this was? In any case, I'll be waiting. :)

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Quick note: S&T Contest 6 should be able to wrap up soon. I talked with bonesiii a little bit, and helped him get the last details squared away. I am under the impression that he just needs to put the final touches and go through the process of announcing winners and making news stories out of it and stuff like that.

That's nice to hear. However, do you mind telling me how long ago this was? In any case, I'll be waiting. :)
I talked with him again today. =) Good to go. It will be nice to have new cannon stories in Greg's absence.

I'm getting the impression that GregF doesn't want to write BIONICLE serials anymore. I mean, maybe he's gone on for so long without writing any, he's finding hard to go back and start again. As a writer, this happens to me a lot; in fact, I haven't been writing for a while. I think the downtime is really what struck the BIONICLE story a fatal blow.Greg mainly continued the story for us BZP members, because we're the hardcore fans who haven't completely left BIONICLE and moved on to other things. Most of BIONICLE's former audience probably moved on to Hero Factory and Ninjago. So when BZP went down, Greg had no reason to write; I think this is backed up by the fact that the time between the Powers that Be and Sahmad's Tale's update were the longest at the time (3 months). Sahmad's Tale Chapter 7, which is the last update we've had so far, was uploaded back in June, during BZP's downtime. Since Greg was busy in the first place, he probably decided not to write until BZP came back.BZP came back in October, 3-4 months after the latest update. By this time Greg was probably totally out of it, especially with him writing novels for Ninjago and taking care of his family. I think Greg has lost that eagerness to write; you have a hard time writing something you don't want to. I remember, back in late 2010 and early 2011, Greg sounded like he was really enjoying what he was writing; he was going around dropping major hints on the Red Star, answering questions, and was talking about something like "the biggest plot twist yet" and so on. In fact, TPTB Chapter 3 came out a mere week after Chapter 2 of the same serial; I remember being very surprised. Even on his blog entries Greg sounded excited about it. And then with TYQ, with the whole GB contest, I could tell he was excited about the story. After that, the series of events which brought us to the low point we are at today began in quick succession, beginning with LEGO's new policy, which pretty much caused us to lose nearly all communication with Greg.Really, what Greg did with TPTB proves that if he wants to, Greg can find someway to fit writing the BIONICLE serials into his busy schedule. Even if Greg is busier now, he could probably find a way.Really, BZPower's downtime came at the worst possible time; not only did it harm the official BIONICLE story, it destroyed all contests that could have given us new storyline, or at least some interesting discussions. S&T Contest 6 is gone, as is the Lesovikk Hiatus Contest, as is Name the GB contest, all which don't seem to be coming back anytime soon.

I think this has put what I suspect to be one of the major reasons for the lack of updates extremely well. Having an audience that's engaged with your work is a great motivator, and from the sounds of things he was enjoying the serials and had every intent to see them through - but severing that audience, coupled with other responsibilities, no doubt put an immediate damper on motivation. It doesn't help matters that, frankly, BZP's interest in Bionicle seems to have decreased over the downtime, meaning that even with the site back there isn't as much demand for updates as before.Here's hoping Greg will be able to get back in contact with us at some point and decide what to do from here.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Maybe Kraahlix could get in touch with Greg, since he must have his phone number from the interview.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

He already said he sent him a letter in the mail in December, and has yet to receive a response. =/ Still that may be another course of action we could take.-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Mailing Greg? Not likely to be the best idea... After all, if he can't talk to us here because he can't be sure of our ages, why would he be allowed to talk via the postal service?In any case, I hope that Greg gets in contact with us again soon.

I think the rule is limited to just online actually. Lego can inhibit his internet presence, but at the end of the day they can't stop him choosing what mail he replies to.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I wonder how the legal names list affects on continuing of the story. LEGO spent some money to get some legal names, and I think most of them are still unused. Maybe Greg could publish the list and have a poll to decide where to use the remaining names?

Osaatko lukea tämän?

I can understand that GregF is very busy. But when the time comes that he has enough spare time to work on the serials, or at least announce if he just has to admit that he´s got too much to do.This extra note here is speculation but i've also been thinking that he might have been given this order or else he'd not be allowed to work on other lego themes: "You´re not allowed to continue to update the story while Bionicle is discontinued."

Edited by .-:Kopaka Nuva:-.

qs3135.jpg

The point was that GregF doesn't want to come back, himself. It's not like anything can overcome that. Except money. :P

Unless this is just a poorly expressed joke, it does not do justice to Greg.Greg has spent much of his own time over the many years of Bionicle on here answering questions, and hosting contests while reicveing no monetary rewards. He has written Bionicle serials that he cannot possibly have been paid for since the end of Bionicle. The reason he does this is for enhancing the Bionicle storyline, as an end in itself.And as for your theory that he is afraid of the questions he will be asked, that doesn't seem consistent with his past actions. Even when people tried to slow down the flow of questions to save Greg trouble, he would tell them to just keep sending as many as they wanted. He has always welcomed questions.The real reasons for his absence are obvious and have been stated many times in this topic. Firstly, Lego's new rule about talking to kids + The Great Downtime cut him off completely from the fanbase. Secondly he has a baby to take care of, which has cut into his writing time. Thirdly, with the success of Ninjago, I wouldn't be surprised if he has more work than before.Subsequently he has understandably lost the habit of writing serials.---That said, I would be REALLY happy if he came back.I don't know if your read this topic Greg, but if you do, please come back and take care of your other baby, Bionicle. :P- 55555
It looks like my unintelligent theory has been quashed by greater intelligence. But yes, I'm not ruling out monetary reward as a motivator for writing. It helps.My mistake, Greg. Sorry. (in case he ever reads this topic)

Excellent! Take your time Greg, actually raise your child instead of letting the TV do it, like my parents did :PAll jokes aside, what is it he does for a living now, anyways? I know he's a writer, but what does he write? Does he have his own little book series or what...MTL

He's been writing for Ninjago, apparently.
I wonder why Ninjago?

'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."

'"In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

--- Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings

Excellent! Take your time Greg, actually raise your child instead of letting the TV do it, like my parents did :PAll jokes aside, what is it he does for a living now, anyways? I know he's a writer, but what does he write? Does he have his own little book series or what...MTL

I wonder why Ninjago?
Lego probably assigns him to it.For those who still believe the web serials aren't over, when would be the point where you give up on them?

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I wonder why Ninjago?
Because it, like BIONICLE, is very heavily story-driven. Greg has written for other story-driven themes in the past, including Exo-Force. His Ninjago books are very good, and I imagine BIONICLE fans would enjoy them (I reviewed three of them here, but don't post anything there because the topic is long-dead).Keep in mind that although BIONICLE is over, Greg Farshtey still works for TLG in many roles, including editor-in-chief of LEGO Club Magazine. So it's only natural that TLG would turn to him for jobs that require his writing talent. And his creative talent has never been limited to BIONICLE in the past, so why would he turn such a job down?

I will wait double the ages of the mountains for Greg, as long as his returning is sure.

Hear that? That's loyalty, everybody. Unfortunately, his returning isn't sure, so you should move on with your life.

I will wait double the ages of the mountains for Greg, as long as his returning is sure.

Hear that? That's loyalty, everybody. Unfortunately, his returning isn't sure, so you should move on with your life.
It's not really a "put this huge thing thats hanging over your head behind you so you can move on" sort of thing. Waiting doesn't really take a lot of effort. *Shrug*
exo-toa_battle.jpg

It's not really a "put this huge thing thats hanging over your head behind you so you can move on" sort of thing. Waiting doesn't really take a lot of effort. *Shrug*
You'd think if someone was really that dedicated to Greg (of course, he's just flattering him, but still), that a pretty sizable chunk of his life would revolve around these updates.

The point was that GregF doesn't want to come back, himself. It's not like anything can overcome that. Except money. :P

Unless this is just a poorly expressed joke, it does not do justice to Greg.Greg has spent much of his own time over the many years of Bionicle on here answering questions, and hosting contests while reicveing no monetary rewards. He has written Bionicle serials that he cannot possibly have been paid for since the end of Bionicle. The reason he does this is for enhancing the Bionicle storyline, as an end in itself.And as for your theory that he is afraid of the questions he will be asked, that doesn't seem consistent with his past actions. Even when people tried to slow down the flow of questions to save Greg trouble, he would tell them to just keep sending as many as they wanted. He has always welcomed questions.The real reasons for his absence are obvious and have been stated many times in this topic. Firstly, Lego's new rule about talking to kids + The Great Downtime cut him off completely from the fanbase. Secondly he has a baby to take care of, which has cut into his writing time. Thirdly, with the success of Ninjago, I wouldn't be surprised if he has more work than before.Subsequently he has understandably lost the habit of writing serials.---That said, I would be REALLY happy if he came back.I don't know if your read this topic Greg, but if you do, please come back and take care of your other baby, Bionicle. :P- 55555
It is true that he has been willing to do a lot for the fan community for free in the past, but the truth is if he had pay as an incentive the web serials would undeniably be coming out more frequently (I think this is what Fishers64 meant). I'm not blaming him; it'd be the same for anyone.P962, several fan-made Bionicle continuation projects have been started in the past, but all (with a few exceptions, Legend of Ignaqua, etc) have failed. Especially with the downtime, I don't think there's enough of a community to really put together something like that.
Actually, several fan projects are doing quite well, like Bionicle: Next Generation, to name a few. Just because they aren't that active on BZPower does in no way mean that their existence is voided.

I wonder why Ninjago?
Lego probably assigns him to it.For those who still believe the web serials aren't over, when would be the point where you give up on them?
When they say they are over. :)

You'd think if someone was really that dedicated to Greg (of course, he's just flattering him, but still), that a pretty sizable chunk of his life would revolve around these updates.

I think it was hyperbole.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

BNG, doing well? Really? After the teaser trailer (say what you will about it), they pretty much dissolved.

I was wondering what happened with BNG; if I'm not mistaken they can't have a topic going since at the moment they don't have much of anything to show off, so I haven't heard anything on that front lately. A shame if it has fallen apart.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

It has fallen apart, more or less, though the dedicated are trying to re-invent the project and start from scratch, which they currently are doing... off BZP... in secrecy. Their planned movie has been put on indefinent hiatus, though.-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

BNG was a great idea, but here's the problem with it: it was way too ambitious. When I saw that they were trying to make full length movies, I just knew that it would fall apart, and I think the board downtime just accelerated that. Instead of focusing on one massive goal, they should try for many managable goals. Maybe instead of trying to release a full 2-hour movie they should go for 5-10 minute videos released once a month. That way there is measurable progress and more motivation to contiue when the going gets tough. Just a thought.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

BNG was a great idea, but here's the problem with it: it was way too ambitious. When I saw that they were trying to make full length movies, I just knew that it would fall apart, and I think the board downtime just accelerated that. Instead of focusing on one massive goal, they should try for many managable goals. Maybe instead of trying to release a full 2-hour movie they should go for 5-10 minute videos released once a month. That way there is measurable progress and more motivation to contiue when the going gets tough. Just a thought.-don't touch my pocket protector

You, sir, have read my mind.Back on topic: it's good to hear that Greg is with us, but we haven't heard from him in a long while. Anybody hear anything recently?

Yeah, he's sort of self-exiled himself from the Bionicle community.

Not entirely self-exiled. He isn't allowed to post here anymore due to the same LEGO policies that also keep Bink from posting here. However, this has nothing to do with the lack of serial chapters, which is mainly responsible for my waning activity here.

Not entirely self-exiled. He isn't allowed to post here anymore due to the same LEGO policies that also keep Bink from posting here. However, this has nothing to do with the lack of serial chapters, which is mainly responsible for my waning activity here.
Then you have to enhance your activity here meine freund.

Yes, but he hasn't been replying to people like Erebus, etc.

That's because he hasn't been here since last October. Why send a PM to someone who won't respond?

That's because he hasn't been here since last October. Why send a PM to someone who won't respond?
That's what I'm saying. He's pretty much disappeared from here.

As of today, seven months have passed since the last story serial update (or podcast, since the last update was the last chapter of Sahmad's Tale).

Okay. It's over. Undeniably now.

As of today, seven months have passed since the last story serial update (or podcast, since the last update was the last chapter of Sahmad's Tale).

It's not over till Bioniclestory.com is taken down. Though with each day that passes, I feel more that BZPower is on its own. :(

aw man! We cant lost hope! Its always good to stay positive, who knows maybe somthing will change!