When did you first catch on?

I remember a lot of people started to think so around early 2008, though I didn't really have an opinion. If it counts, I caught on when a massive robot rose out of Aqua Magna, breaking the island of Mata Nui.

I'd say about 2008, prior to the actual reveal.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Not sure exactly... I'd assumed that he wasn't a normal being but was in fact something tied to the world itself, but I'm pretty sure I hadn't thought about it for a while until it became obvious, and then it was sort of like "oh, yep, that's a thing that happened".

I caught on when a massive robot rose out of Aqua Magna

Hmm... nope, still didn't notice. ( :P)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I assume you're asking about a giant being containing the domes. :P (I never thought he might be a robot at all really, until that factoid was revealed; the real revelation was about shape and placement, not consistency per se, heh.)

And that was when someone (I forget who for sure, have a name in mind but I may be wrong) posted the theory in early 2008 (or was it late 2007? I forget) in S&T. Evidence was the face-symbolism of Mata Nui Island and various similar factoids. I thought it was pretty convincing. Then someone leaked that promo video showing him standing up early, so I was one of the ones deleting the confirmation before it was allowed. :P

Edited by bonesiii
testing format of something... -bones Edit 2: test concluded and removed.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I never caught on before it actually happened within the context of the storyline, but at the same time the big reveal didn't seriously shock me. I did, of course, think that was awesome, but it didn't strike me as a huge plot twist - that would be Makuta's takeover. Perhaps that plot point overshadowed Mata Nui rising.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I really considered it after I read someone's theory on it back in early '08 (probably the same one bonesii spoke of). Prior to that, I believed Mata Nui was something like a giant Toa-like figure trapped underneath the Matoran Universe. The fact that he might actually be a robot that housed the universe didn't fully hit me until it was confirmed by Greg.

signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I was too busy criticizing every aspect of Bionicle from 2006 onward, so I didn't even pay attention. :P

Frankly, when I first saw the Mata Nui rising animation, I was disappointed. I didn't understand that the universe was inside him, I just thought he was a random giant rising from the sea and couldn't believe that was Mata Nui's true form and was dismayed. Then I learned that the universe was inside of him and ever since have regarded Mata Nui's true form as the most brillitant plot ever.

I never caught on. :P

I was pretty shocked. As if the reveal weren't shocking enough, shortly after we were hit with another mind-blowing plot twist (Teridax's takeover).

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

If I recall correctly, when I was younger, I used to think that Mata Nui LITERALLY "Walked among them", and that he was the guardian of the world(not like he was supposed to be a god or anything, but that he was placed there by the Great Beings).But yeah, I don't think I really caught on till I turned that page in comic #15 and thought "Wow. Just wow."(I didn't see the aforementioned video until far later, as I didn't have much access to the Internet at that time.)

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Is it a stretch to say that I suspected that something was up as far back as 2004? :II mean, you cannot tell me that I was the only one who watched LoM right after it's release and didn't think this was odd: http://tinyurl.com/cc7ahn6I'll admit that I never sought to delve very far into the lore and technical aspects of the Bionicle universe until the line came to an end in '09/'10 when it suddenly hit me, "............... OH LAWD, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS FABULOUS STORY I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING FOR ALL OF, WHAT, TEN YEARS NOW?!" ( ꒪Д꒪)ノI never really saw the Mata Nui-is-a-giant-robot thing coming, but the more they added to the process of awakening him and (later) saving his life, the more suspicious I became. Like Chro said, I simply believed him to have been more heavily tied to the MU than we had originally thought. I think what really did it was the whole thing with the Codrex and everyone needing to high-tail it out of Karda Nui while islands shifted back into place or whatever. "WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH AWAKENING A SPIRIT?! Oh wait...." was pretty much my thought-process right before the "big reveal", ha ha.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

When we were told that Metru Nui was under the island of Mata Nui, and like ten times smaller, I started to think that Mata Nui was the planet and that something was wrong with the planet. Never really thought much of it as the story continued to develop, until someone posted about the face pictures, abut never really became concrete on one idea or the other.

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar

Being some one who never followed the story closely, I didnt find out until 2011 maybe ever 2012 when I got back into the Bionicles. I had always thought Mata Nui had more of a spiritualistic presence in the MU. Like I didnt think the two moons were actually his eyes, I thought they were just representations.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Being some one who never followed the story closely, I didnt find out until 2011 maybe ever 2012 when I got back into the Bionicles. I had always thought Mata Nui had more of a spiritualistic presence in the MU. Like I didnt think the two moons were actually his eyes, I thought they were just representations.

Exactly like mr Sam, only I saw the rising video, well as first official storyline thing I saw since WoS and in that time I couldn't even read English, well you can imagine I totally didn't undertand.

I'm back!

Well, it was a thing I kinda thought about over time. At first, I had figured that Mata Nui might be a giant robot of some sort, just big enough to dwarf Makuta's 2003 form - mostly, that one 2003 animation ("he's just a big robot!") got me thinking. It wasn't until 2007, though, that I got that something was up with the islands themselves. I started thinking about the caverns we had seen so far, and the arrangement of Voya Nui's descent... I knew something was strange about this, and also knew that Lego wouldn't approve such a strange arrangement of caverns unless there was a very good reason for it.A few months later, I read Legends #9. There I found that the center cavern (which we knew at that point was vital to Mata Nui's health) was called "Karda Nui." It was around that time that I first thought that Mata Nui might literally be part of the Matoran Universe, somehow contained in or physically part of the cavern systems we had seen. Once I had finished Legends #11, this was apparently confirmed by the fact that "Mata Nui's body" was the universe. I assumed that the Mask of Life was flying through extra-dimensional space or some such, since we'd already seen the Olmak perform similar tricks, and sat back on my theorizing haunches for a bit. If I'd thought a bit harder, maybe I would've combined my first idea (giant robot god) with my second idea (universe-maintaining spirit) and reached the answer.Unfortunately, though, I never really pictured Mata Nui as a giant, independent robot until I read that fateful comic, and saw him rising from the sea. That was a pretty big tip-off. :P It made perfect sense to me, though, and I kind of smacked myself for not thinking of it earlier that year.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

I didn't catch on to it until it was revealed in 08. I was surprised by it, since I had no idea it was coming.

Honesty is the best policy!

Heh. Anyways, in 07 when the Toa Nuva had to wake up the swarms kinda showed a little bit of the idea... like why would the island need to be destroyed to let the being awaken?

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Same. I don't remember my reaction when I found out; I only know that I never guessed it before. I also remember that I was annoyed with one friend because I told him everything as soon as I found out about it. He was like "yeah, whatever", ignored me, and started talking about something else. Two days later, he comes up to me, "Whoa, Mata Nui's a giant robot!"

idk man

I did think Mata Nui's being above Metru Nui was quite odd, but I just wrote that off as Acceptable Break From Reality. If I had seen that animation of the suns going out I just might have guessed something in 2005, but it wasn't until years later that I was aware of any story beyond the books and comics.

aouROFb.png

Hmm. Not having watched the movies in their entirety, I'd missed the sun/moon eye connection. That's a bit odd, even though we know he's the universe. I mean, I'd think there'd be machinery and sensors behind the eyes, not just holes into a dome. XD

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Hmm. Not having watched the movies in their entirety, I'd missed the sun/moon eye connection. That's a bit odd, even though we know he's the universe. I mean, I'd think there'd be machinery and sensors behind the eyes, not just holes into a dome. XD

Did you see my post about this in another current topic? I theorized, based on the math of the sizes, that the holes are actually basically the "tear glands" in terms of placement, while the main eyes themselves (the big glowing, elongated things) are machinery and sensors etc. The holes would each be between the "eye proper" and the nose, under that theory. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I assume you're asking about a giant being containing the domes. :P (I never thought he might be a robot at all really, until that factoid was revealed; the real revelation was about shape and placement, not consistency per se, heh.)

And that was when someone (I forget who for sure, have a name in mind but I may be wrong) posted the theory in early 2008 (or was it late 2007? I forget) in S&T. Evidence was the face-symbolism of Mata Nui Island and various similar factoids. I thought it was pretty convincing. Then someone leaked that promo video showing him standing up early, so I was one of the ones deleting the confirmation before it was allowed. :P

Is this that topic titled "Mata Nui is Mata Nui!" or something like that? It kind of convinced me.

To the Forum Archive!

I took a break from Bionicle for 2008 and the first two thirds of 2009, so I found out in a wiki when I was getting back into it. Really blew my mind. Previously, I always thought Mata Nui was kind of like God - an omnipresent force who was never physically seen. I was confused while reading the books though, when it mentioned that Mata Nui was on top of Metru Nui