Official 2012 Set Discussion

Mesonak

Official topic, as approved by Makaru. Reposting this topic because I got confirmation from B6 that the pictures were fine to post after all. Ironic that on the same day a topic was created and locked, finalized pictures are found. Over at the site spielwaren-hegmann.de), finalized pictures (with no confidential markings) of the Hero Factory Winter 2012 sets have been found, along with their official names. I compiled the pictures into a gallery that can be found here. Heroes: Rocka - $12.99Furno - $12.99Breez - $12.99Evo - $7.99Surge - $7.99 Villains: Thornraxx - $7.99Toxic Reapa - $7.99Jawblade - $7.99Splitface - $12.99Black Phantom - $19.99 Of note are, obviously enough, the presence of only five heroes and five villains respectively, as well as the heroes and villains being divided into two sizes; the normal villain size and the standard hero size. Other notable things include the fact that all Heroes are equipped with a pair of handcuufs that utilize a new piece alongside the chain piece used in Hewkii Inika, and a redesigned Thornax Launcher (top half is a new piece, bottom half is a Thornax Launcher). Also Black Phantom is surprisingly epic win. I didn't think he would be. Discuss. -Mesonak

Edited by Makaru

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

I knew these pics were legit =P. The superhero topic wasn't even closed. Anyway, I love everything about this wave; this is the first wave where I'm actually inspired to try and get everything. New colors, cool builds... everything is fantastic. I hope the 1.0 helmets are redone in 2.0 style, but they'll probably just include the Glatorian/Iron Man head instead. However, it looks like it might come in regular trans-green on Black Phantom, so here's hoping.

Black Phantom should have been called Phantom Lord for a cool Metallica reference. Anyways he looks horrible and I hate his mask and weapons. Breez is sub par. I must say I hate the new chest plates. Evo sucks which is sad since his 2.0 version is the best in the HF line. Furno is pretty cool minus the stupid armour and on his right arm. Jawblade is horrible like all the other smaller boxed HF villains. Rocka is one of the worst HF sets. I HATE his mask. Splitface sucks too much to talk about. Surge has stupid colours and is horribly armoured. Thornaxx sucks but wait...A GOOD VILLAIN SET! NO WAY! Toxic Reapa looks good! What s surprise! Looks like I might only get Furno. I would get Toxic Repa BUT THE CANADIAN PRICE IS $20!

My thoughts:Heroes: Ranked from worst to best:5. Furno - I do not like him. 1.0 helmet does not look at all good with the 2.0 build. The random trans armor plate is bad, the entire left arm is terrible, the gun spear is bad, and why is there white? He doesn't pull off the chestplate design, either. The jetpacks are the best part of him, and they still don't work. However, ranged weapon + flight equipment matches his story role quite well.4. Surge - Ach, there's lime green all over the place. Helmet and chestplate do not work, especially when used together, shoulder fins are horrible, and the sword, while an interesting concept (also, blue lightning!) doesn't work well.3. Breez - Her having the 1.0 helmet again is a definite plus. The hex-shield, sword, and thornax gun are all very cool. However, there's two secondary colors- white and red, and that's terrible. Her chestplate looks decent, though I don't like the white core. The huge shoulder pads look bad enough on a male set, and don't make her look good at all. The back armor looks bad, and the old feet could go either way. White (?) arm joint could come in handy. I'm not sure what to make of the handcuffs. Her in-story role of communicator and pilot doesn't go with the massive weapons overload, though.2. Evo - The only hero on which the bulbous pauldron is properly incorporated. Overuse of iron gray is bad, and the helmet is mediocre, but the gun arm makes up for it all. His chestplate is decent, though the complete lack of purple is disturbing. His weapons match his story role quite well.1. Rocka - GLORIOUS. Yes, I know how much I hated him last year. This fixes everything. His only flaws are the poor placement for the shin armor, the overuse of gunmetal, and it looks to me that his left arm is stubby. The thornax crossbow, however, is excellent. He's got so much gold now! Also, he's got the only core that makes sense being white. He also needs gold hands. The hex-shield could go either way, but I've got a good feeling about it. (Also, being wrist-mounted this time is a plus). Even the pauldron looks decent on him. I'm gonna need to get a flock of Rockas so I can MOC a Rocka without the huge block of gunmetal... once again, the question must be asked: Who can Rocka-rhyme like this? Villains (also from worst to best, but by coincidence (though Thornraxx might beat Makuta):Jawblade: What. He's got a decent supply of parts, but looks terrible. Also, armshark has arms.Twoface: Aaargh, bulbous pieces! He's outrageously mediocre.Toxic Reapa: He looks like a bulbous Corroder, and I like him. The acid shooters are good, and the trans lime is excellent. On the other hand, the legs are spindly.Thornraxx: To heck with reality, he has TEAL. He looks surprisingly awesome, and the 5-length orange cladding will be handy on my Nex revamp. Also, bloody stinger?Black Phantom: The only bad thing about him is that he's another Fire Lord clone. However, he's by far the best-looking of the three sets to use this build.The chest armor's a bit questionable, though. He looks like The Makuta wearing a Kanohi Sanok.

Edited by Kojol

Am I the only one getting a real Samus vibe off of Breez? I mean seriously, those massive shoulder plates. And the hand cannon probably doesn't help.

Nope, you're not the only one. That's a major part of why I like her. -Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

You know, I am actually really excited about these! They look like lego was listening, hence the old masks! Plus they look really complex, as well as looking bigger. Which is good. They all have solid color schemes, (goodbye fire lord) and the new cannon and sword pieces look really nice. Black phantom gave me a headache with how happy I am. Big, complex villain with a good looking, solid color scheme? Yes please. I love Evo's colors and cannon arm, as well as the helmet. I agree with The Wretched Automaton about Breez, I might just take the swords and shield off. I am thrilled with the shark villain, he looks fantastic and realistic at the same time. Plus, they all have an interesting and unique smattering of the new building system. Only gripe, black phantom's torso looks feminine, but that could be a plus for mocers. Thanks for the pictures!

Look at me still talking when there's science to do!

I'm getting them all. Plain and simple. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Can't say I'll get into collecting Hero Factory now (I already collect too much as it is :P), but the way Evo looks is really making me want him. Though, umm... Not that I'm complaing he's cheaper - not at all haha - but could anybody explain why Evo and Surge will apparently be cheaper? They don't look any smaller to me. (Though they do have additional weaponry...) ~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Can't say I'll get into collecting Hero Factory now (I already collect too much as it is :P), but the way Evo looks is really making me want him. Though, umm... Not that I'm complaing he's cheaper - not at all haha - but could anybody explain why Evo and Surge will apparently be cheaper? They don't look any smaller to me. ~|ET|~

They sure do to me - Breez, Furno, and Rocka are all a lot more heavily armored, and use larger joint pieces. And have more weapons and other bits. Though, they do seem oddly cheap, as they look larger than the 2.0 and 3.0s. Though, really, Evo, Rocka, and Surge would make more sense as the big ones, as Breez was the pilot (at least as a 1.0) and Furno's the scout - Neither of them should be hulking warriors. Evo, as the big gun guy, probably should be the biggest of the five, not tied for the smallest.

Though, umm... Not that I'm complaing he's cheaper - not at all haha - but could anybody explain why Evo and Surge will apparently be cheaper? They don't look any smaller to me. (Though they do have additional weaponry...) ~|ET|~

I don't know why, and I don't think that they will be. I think it might just be a mistake, because otherwise I cannot find a possible reason for the inconsistent prices.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'm actually kind of surprised no one is annoyed that there is a yellow and a gold set in the same wave. I was not sure about having orange and red in 2011. Surge definitely could use some more armor-he looks pathetic compared to the other heroes. I like the new launcher, if only because its a break from thornax. I don't see why people hate Rocka's helmet. While it doesn't fit his personality, it looks cool as a piece. This wave's style seems to be more rounded armor pieces. I'd really like to see how those handcuffs work. I would think that they would be compatible with any set using the Glatorian hands. Its kind of weird that only Black Phantom and Jawblade actually have hands though...

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

I think they should make Breeze look more feminine. Every one of her builds doesn't really scream GIRL, she could easily be another of the guys. They should make her a personal chest-plate like the other female robots in the TV shows, or change her legs like they did for the Toa Mata. Also, am I correct in believing that they'll be using 2.0 heads still, and just making the new molds of the old masks attach to them like Tahu Stars? Or do we not know yet?

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

Can't say I'll get into collecting Hero Factory now (I already collect too much as it is :P), but the way Evo looks is really making me want him. Though, umm... Not that I'm complaing he's cheaper - not at all haha - but could anybody explain why Evo and Surge will apparently be cheaper? They don't look any smaller to me. ~|ET|~

They sure do to me - Breez, Furno, and Rocka are all a lot more heavily armored, and use larger joint pieces. And have more weapons and other bits. Though, they do seem oddly cheap, as they look larger than the 2.0 and 3.0s. Though, really, Evo, Rocka, and Surge would make more sense as the big ones, as Breez was the pilot (at least as a 1.0) and Furno's the scout - Neither of them should be hulking warriors. Evo, as the big gun guy, probably should be the biggest of the five, not tied for the smallest.
Aye, I made an edit to make a note of the armor/weaponry. ;) The larger joints, though, I honestly didn't notice at all. It's probably just my unfamiliarity with the line, but at first glance they just all looked the same. Looking at them more closely now, I can see that, say, comparing Furno's thigh armor to Evo's, Furno's does appear long. So I suppose it's valid. ~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I'm actually kind of surprised no one is annoyed that there is a yellow and a gold set in the same wave. I was not sure about having orange and red in 2011. Surge definitely could use some more armor-he looks pathetic compared to the other heroes. I like the new launcher, if only because its a break from thornax. I don't see why people hate Rocka's helmet. While it doesn't fit his personality, it looks cool as a piece. This wave's style seems to be more rounded armor pieces. I'd really like to see how those handcuffs work. I would think that they would be compatible with any set using the Glatorian hands. Its kind of weird that only Black Phantom and Jawblade actually have hands though...

Well, the primary color of each set from each 2.0 onward wave (Stringer has enough Keetorange to be keetorange for this purpose):Red - Orange - Yellow - Lime - Blue - WhiteRed - Orange - Keetorange - Gold - Silver - WhiteRed - Yellow - Gold - Lime - BlueReally, this is a step up from 3.0 (especially the villains. TEAL.) It bothers me too, but since it's a step up from last year, I'm fine with it.

Ok, for those of you who didn't notice, FURNO IS UNDERWATER. You can see the Jawblade shark in the background, as well as bubbles coming out of his jets, which are PROPELLERS. He is surronded by coral, and the spear on his blaster is most likely a harpoon. The white on his legs probbly symbolize his elite Hero status, as well as Breez. Surge wasn't given the same upgrade as they were, and that is why he is green rather than red or white. Keep in mind that Evo and Rocka re still Rookie Heroes, so they really don't need anything special. And as for the unique chests, they probably decided to bring back stickers. and the Hero Cores seem to attach by two pegs in holes, rather than one. Also, Breez has a third foot on her back. Rocka has some kind of attachment on his back, but I cannot tell exactly what it is. So far, it looks like the flamethrower/jet/drill part from the Fire Villains. Splitface has a Furno foot on his back, but I can't tell if it's 1.0 or 2.0. Evo has the close shoulders this time. Thornraxx appears to have a new shade of light teal on him, but no one is positive what it is at the moment. B.P. has new addition connectors on him. He has them on his upper arms, which makes them SLIGHTLY longer. These are also on most of the new Ultrabuild Super Hero sets.

LlqByyh.png

I just discovered Rocka's little rubber harpoon magazine on his left shoulder. That was a very creative move, and it manages to make him look good too! And is that legit teal on Thornraxx?!

It's not "legit" in the sense that it's a different color than the teal of BIONICLE's early years, but it's relatively close, yes =P

Am I the only one getting a real Samus vibe off of Breez? I mean seriously, those massive shoulder plates. And the hand cannon probably doesn't help.

Nope, you're not the only one. That's a major part of why I like her. -Mesonak
As I gather, that's why a lot of people seem interested in her. I'm not a Metroid guy, though, so it's not doing much for me. She's probably my least favorite of the wave, actually XP

Ok, for those of you who didn't notice, FURNO IS UNDERWATER. You can see the Jawblade shark in the background, as well as bubbles coming out of his jets, which are PROPELLERS. He is surronded by coral, and the spear on his blaster is most likely a harpoon. The white on his legs probbly symbolize his elite Hero status, as well as Breez. Surge wasn't given the same upgrade as they were, and that is why he is green rather than red or white. Keep in mind that Evo and Rocka re still Rookie Heroes, so they really don't need anything special. And as for the unique chests, they probably decided to bring back stickers. and the Hero Cores seem to attach by two pegs in holes, rather than one. Also, Breez has a third foot on her back. Rocka has some kind of attachment on his back, but I cannot tell exactly what it is. So far, it looks like the flamethrower/jet/drill part from the Fire Villains. Splitface has a Furno foot on his back, but I can't tell if it's 1.0 or 2.0. Evo has the close shoulders this time. Thornraxx appears to have a new shade of light teal on him, but no one is positive what it is at the moment. B.P. has new addition connectors on him. He has them on his upper arms, which makes them SLIGHTLY longer. These are also on most of the new Ultrabuild Super Hero sets.

Pretty sure people noticed that Furno was underwater =P. That piece on his back is, I believe, the same attachment as the one on Waspix, which it uses to create extra limbs, which is pretty sweet. Also I think the white limbs don't really have anything to do with their status, it's just what they used for the sets. And I hope those aren't stickers; not generally a fan of those. I do note that they don't have nametags anymore; kinda sad, but I'm also okay with it.

Pretty sure people noticed that Furno was underwater =P. That piece on his back is, I believe, the same attachment as the one on Waspix, which it uses to create extra limbs, which is pretty sweet.

If you're referring to Furno's propeller attachment, I'm pretty sure they're just clipped onto his shoulders.

OpAXNpl.jpg

When LEGO announced they were canceling BIONICLE, my first reaction was realizing I would never again feel the rush of curiosity and intrigue and that unexplainable feeling that I got when we first saw images of the next year's sets. BUT I WAS WRONG. These look amazing, and I'm SO happy that LEGO's returned Furno's, Breez's, and Surge's original helmets. They carry the heroes' personalities, like the Kanohi masks of old. In general, I just love the way they've crossed 2.0 build with the 1.0 pieces - it works like a charm. And I'm really excited about the treasure trove of pieces the villains are carrying, not to mention the epic new thornax launcher blaster piece. But no Stormer? This makes me very sad. :sadlike:

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

The heroes from my most fav to least fav.

• [*]Breez - Two words: Samus Aran.[*]Rocka - Amazing bow/zamor launcher complete with a magazine piece and that new energy shield like piece. Would be fav if it wasn't for the ugly helmet(though it is an improvement over that strange lion head)[*]Surge- Looks almost like a more proportionate 1.0 surge but with the new zamor launcher and for some strange reason he has lime as a secondary color instead of white(WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????).[*]Evo- Dekar helmet which also looks like a solid version of his 2.0 one plus a giant metal right arm(AWESOME!!!!!!!!!)[*]Furno- The best Furno set by far, but that's still not saying much. What's up with his left arm?

Splitface looks awesome. My fave of the wave, certainly. But Furno's not that bad. .....It's Surge that needs better parts and build. IMHO, anaway.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

Pretty sure people noticed that Furno was underwater =P. That piece on his back is, I believe, the same attachment as the one on Waspix, which it uses to create extra limbs, which is pretty sweet.

If you're referring to Furno's propeller attachment, I'm pretty sure they're just clipped onto his shoulders.
Looking at the uber hi res pics, yeah, there's a limb attachment in between them; it was either that or a different way entirely. The propeller joints themselves don't actually directly plug into the shoulders, but at least there's some flexibility in that.

Looking at these pictures, I've noticed this: Hero Factory + Phantoka = William Furno 4.0 I'm assuming these heroes will be referred to as "4.0". Who knows, it could be DX or something. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Teridax's Thornax launcher is either light grey or pearl grey, not silver. The extra joint on the shoulder looks a bit superfluous, IMO. In the Rocka image in the background, it's obvious that the Y-joint tip protrudes from the hex-shield, which is a pity. The lowness of Teridax's chest makes me sad. Breez has an old foot on her back as armor, and Two-Face (as well as, possibly, Rocka) has a new foot on his back as armor. Iron-grey feet are nice. I'll probably do some part exchange with Evo 2.0 for Evo 4.0, though. Thornraxx has one of those waspix connector bits, he looks like an interesting build. He is so going to sell well.Only sockets and lower arms in azure, though, which is a pity. Reapa's chest design looks potentially bad. Jaws looks like a good source of parts. I can say with almost complete confidence that the chest patterns are stickers, which is good, because I'd sort of like 2.0 armor on top of a 4.0 chest, which would be hard to do well with patterned chests. If Two-Face has stickers and not printing, that would be optimal for this endeavour. And a pain in the burro for anybody not wanting to do that.

I'm looking forward to the white bone pieces! Oh, and Rocka is WIN!Here are my thoughts:BREEZ: Manlier than ever. Loving the red thornax launcher and the sword/spear/staff thing, also the shoulderpads! EPIC new pieces! Fights Thornraxx.FURNO: Methinks this is the best. The turbines are awesome, but one thing is not fun: no melee! Eh, the launcher makes up for it, and who would want to melee a shark?ROCKA: Gold. Awesome helmet, sort of steampunky. Definite buy, although he has a stubby gun arm. Also, TRANS NEON GREEN LAUNCHER PIECE! Fights the big bad boss, Black Phantom!SURGE: Recolored Electro Swords. 'Nuff said. Beating down (or getting beaten by) Splitface!EVO: Another definite buy, because the hemet is EPIC! Looks like he's the shortest though. GUNMETAL ROUND ARMOR! Fights Toxic Reapa. I'm too lazy to write about the villans now. Maybe in another post?

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

When people say that the helmets are what all the 1.0 helmets were/would be, they are wrong. Rocka never had a 1.0 form, just to clear it up for y'all. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I think this is a pretty good line, especially on the Hero side.Furno: my least favorite of the group, as his only weapons are the standard sidearm with a spear mounted on top. Also, it doesn't make sense for the fire hero to be underwater. Breez: I think her new look is appropriate; she is the air hero, so the rockets are logical, and the double sword looks like it could be used for some sort of whirlwind attack. Surge: My favorite of the group, if only because I have always been biased for the blue guy. Adding the hose to the lightning saber was a nice touch. Although I must agree, the lime was just a tad overdone. Evo: Again, the new form works. He is the martial arts guy, so it makes sense that he would not use many weapons. And I can just see him using his big arm as a bludgeon. Rocka: The only complaint here is that the bow looks a little too big. The Villains are just "Meh" to me. Toxic Reapa: Lame, kind of a ripoff of Meltdown. Jawblade: Sorta cool, though I think the blades would look better if they were held underhand. Thornraxx: The coolest looking villain, I like the "two arms and a stinger" look. Split Face: Interesting concept, i'd like to hear more about his (their?) background. Black Phantom: He looks tough, and the weapon is cool, but I think the red is too obtrusive.

My HF Short Story: Betrayal Reversal: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3481

I just notice something about Splitface, his head is two separate pieces.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

Black Phantom is buy-worthy for syre. The armored him far better than the prelim. Also, I'm wondering why most of the heroes are $13 now. The whole "more" pieces thing?

Yes, they're more expensive because they have more pieces and larger pieces. They're all fully armored (contrast 2.0 and 3.0 heroes, especially Bulk), have longer limb pieces, armor in new places (e.g. Breez's Samus armor and back armor), and have more weapons. Also, Furno has a propeller pack.The "sarcasm quotes" imply you believe they're the same size, which they aren't. I'm glad that they're increasingly dispensing with the gratuitous asymmetry. At least on Two-Face, it's a deliberate stylistic choice, rather than totally arbitrary as on all the 2.0s and some 3.0 heroes.Also, so much iron grey. It's becoming almost as bad as silver was during 2008.Rocka, Evo, and Two-Face all have it as their secondary color, and Makuta, Breez, Furno, and Surge all have a few iron grey parts. I'm still worried that Makuta's Thornax launcher will be pearl grey. That color was an abomination and a blight upon Lego.