Official 2012 Set Discussion

Mesonak

/\ Yeah stickers suck, but it does mean that you don't have to have a patterned piece if you want armour with a single colour. Thus I hope those are stickers on the sets.

Agreed. It's kind of a win lose situation imo

I'm hoping they're stickers. Printing is nicer, but the thing is it completely ruins the piece's possibility of being used in anything other than its original purpose.

Yeah, but there is one exception by Deevee. It uses the red stripe on one of Corroder's stickers, but it's the only time I've seen something like this done. Also, anyone else notice the size 5 orange piece on Thornraxx's back? O:
And really, even that was cut from the actual sticker, so it's not like too much creativity is involved there =P. I was initially hoping that maybe the Hero Core was inlaid on a small piece of armor that had the printing, but now that we've seen the Hero Core (and it was kinda obvious even before then) no such luck. I'd be okay with stickers, really. First wave had em, so why not? Definitely works with Splitface.
On Iron Man's, the armor piece connected to the torso has 2 pegs, so the core, as seen in this, must have 2 pegs. Kind of odd if you ask me though :P But the detail stops at a certain point. I'm convinced by Splitface that there are stickers. Edited by Daiker

doom4revalt.png

/\ Yeah stickers suck, but it does mean that you don't have to have a patterned piece if you want armour with a single colour. Thus I hope those are stickers on the sets.

I'm hoping they're stickers. Printing is nicer, but the thing is it completely ruins the piece's possibility of being used in anything other than its original purpose.

Yeah, but there is one exception by Deevee. It uses the red stripe on one of Corroder's stickers, but it's the only time I've seen something like this done. Also, anyone else notice the size 5 orange piece on Thornraxx's back? O:
And really, even that was cut from the actual sticker, so it's not like too much creativity is involved there =P. I was initially hoping that maybe the Hero Core was inlaid on a small piece of armor that had the printing, but now that we've seen the Hero Core (and it was kinda obvious even before then) no such luck. I'd be okay with stickers, really. First wave had em, so why not? Definitely works with Splitface.
On Iron Man's, the armor piece connected to the torso has 2 pegs, so the core, as seen in this, must have 2 pegs. Kind of odd if you ask me though But the detail stops at a certain point. I'm convinced by Splitface that there are stickers.
Wait, Splitface convinces you that they are stickers? The designs on his torso seem way too small and intricate to be stickers. Plus, I see no margin between the designs and the armor itself. Unfortunately, I think it's printing, which is too bad since it makes the piece totally useless. Edited by Zakann The Diabolical

p

On Iron Man's, the armor piece connected to the torso has 2 pegs, so the core, as seen in this, must have 2 pegs. Kind of odd if you ask me though But the detail stops at a certain point. I'm convinced by Splitface that there are stickers.
Wait, Splitface convinces you that they are stickers? The designs on his torso seem way too small and intricate to be stickers. Plus, I see no margin between the designs and the armor itself. Unfortunately, I think it's printing, which is too bad since it makes the piece totally useless.
They may be small designs, but they're most likely all connected to a bigger black (or gunmetal) sticker, like on corroder.

doom4revalt.png

I really really reeeeeeeeeeally hope they're not stickers, i've grown used to having no stickers on the last couple of waves D: . Although maybe that's because i'm not a MOCer, I dunno. ~ELM~

It's prolly cause you're not looking at it from a MOCist's perspective. We see the new torsos as pretty cool pieces, and if they have stickers, well there's only so much we can do with pre-colored parts.

doom4revalt.png

The only problem that I face with Rocka's new helmet, is that it doesn't resemble his 2.0 helmet, which a lot of these characters' helmets do. :(

It doesn't resemble Rocka very much yes, but it's such an awesome helmet I'm not complaining. I'll probably end up using his 3.0 helmet instead, honestly. Rivin

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

Because it seems like they are going to be using Glatorian heads, I wonder if the will be solid colored to match the other heads previously used.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

What is really really bugging me about this wave is Lego's stinginess. I mean they make all the cores ONE color, and don't even bother to make the glatorian heads in any different color. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same glatorian ones with the old system of hip joints (Like on the phantoka). I mean they make a very nice wave filled with great new parts and recolors, and now they don't even bother to change the head colors? Really? I'm also annoyed on how they refuse to make the yellow size 5 piece. What makes it even more annoying, is that they made a size 5 in orange, so there's no reason to do keep it small.

doom4revalt.png

What is really really bugging me about this wave is Lego's stinginess. I mean they make all the cores ONE color, and don't even bother to make the glatorian heads in any different color. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same glatorian ones with the old system of hip joints (Like on the phantoka). I mean they make a very nice wave filled with great new parts and recolors, and now they don't even bother to change the head colors? Really? I'm also annoyed on how they refuse to make the yellow size 5 piece. What makes it even more annoying, is that they made a size 5 in orange, so there's no reason to do keep it small.

To be fair, they already make the Glatorian head in all the transparent fluorescent colors they have. It's a shame there don't seem to be any blue ones in this wave, but overall I wouldn't think it a reasonable sacrifice to start producing the Glatorian head in non-fluorescent colors just for color variety. That would just lead to characters like the original Onua with dull-colored eyes that only glow when backlit. Not sure if there will be a new version of the Glatorian head, but we know from an inside source that the Shadow Matoran foot has been redesigned. Naturally, we don't know if the redesign will be showing up as soon as the sets are released, but since the Glatorian head is used even more widely than the Shadow Matoran foot I can't see any reason it wouldn't be redesigned with the new joints as well. What's so special about a size 5 yellow shell, anyway? While it would be nice, I don't see the point of throwing one into a set just so that they exist, when size 4 shells work just as well for the sets released so far (plus, there is a nice variety of shell pieces in yellow already). Remember that it costs money to release parts in new colors-- thus, if size 5 yellow shells were released, it might necessitate costs being cut elsewhere.

Wait, Splitface convinces you that they are stickers? The designs on his torso seem way too small and intricate to be stickers. Plus, I see no margin between the designs and the armor itself. Unfortunately, I think it's printing, which is too bad since it makes the piece totally useless.
They may be small designs, but they're most likely all connected to a bigger black (or gunmetal) sticker, like on corroder.
There are far too many contours for this to work.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I doubt that those are stickers. If they were, some would be pretty small, and in the stomach area certain stickers would be very tough to put on.

The+Edge-Banderbear.jpg bug_animated.gifStarhawk-PlayStation-3-b-300x300.jpg

"Wuh?"

Seeing as there is no way that it's possible that Splitface has stickers, it's a logical assumption that none of them do. However, Furno especially looks like he has stickers, and as such, I'm assuming that all of the heroes do. It's a pity about Splitface, though, as I really wanted that new torso piece in gunmetal. I was planning a sort of hybridized 2.0/4.0 revamp of Nex.

Not sure if this is confirmed yet, but apparently all the sets (sans Black Phantom) now appear to have resealable plastic bag packaging...http://www.1000stein...1/6202_alt1.jpghttp://www.1000stein...1/6201_alt1.jpghttp://www.1000stein...1/6200_alt1.jpgNot sure how this is going to work... :unsure:And looking at this pic of Toxic Reapa (http://www.1000stein...1/6201_alt2.jpg) it looks like he uses the Y-joint piece (or whatever you call it) Waspix has.

Not sure if this is confirmed yet, but apparently all the sets (sans Black Phantom) now appear to have resealable plastic bag packaging...http://www.1000stein...1/6202_alt1.jpghttp://www.1000stein...1/6201_alt1.jpghttp://www.1000stein...1/6200_alt1.jpgNot sure how this is going to work... :unsure:And looking at this pic of Toxic Reapa (http://www.1000stein...1/6201_alt2.jpg) it looks like he uses the Y-joint piece (or whatever you call it) Waspix has.

Hooray! First real confirmation that the new packages are resealable! That basically eliminates any misgivings I might have had about canisters going away, since these now have the storage component of canisters minus the taking-up-too-much-space component.

Oh, okay.Still, that's cool. It looks like Rocka's parts really are in the new 'Atlantis' trans green, and that it is in fact a different version of the Thornax launcher.But I must ask, what is up with Black Phantom's hand?

You mean the bug launcher, or the fact that the render is ridiculously shiny? :wacko:

Are those the only sets that currently have their pictures on that site? I can't seem to locate the others, like Thornraxx.Also yay for resealable bags. possibly my favorite change in years. All the storage with less of the space. I welcome this change with open arms.-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Are those the only sets that currently have their pictures on that site? I can't seem to locate the others, like Thornraxx.Also yay for resealable bags. possibly my favorite change in years. All the storage with less of the space. I welcome this change with open arms.-Mesonak

Yep. They're also the only sets to have their pictures at cache.LEGO.com, so I'm guessing that's where these images ultimately came from (even though I can't find them on cache.LEGO.com at that same resolution).

I got the latest UK LEGO Club Magazine today and saw that on the "next issue" page there was a small picture of "Breakout" Furno in the Hero Factory bubble. This just seemed odd to me as I've never seen LEGO advertise future sets in picture form this early for Bionicle or Hero Factory, preview or not.

Edited by Omicron Squad Leader

bzp_banner.jpg

I got the latest UK LEGO Club Magazine today and saw that on the "next issue" page there was a small picture of "Breakout" Furno in the Hero Factory bubble. This just seemed odd to me as I've never seen LEGO advertise future sets in picture form this early for Bionicle or Hero Factory, preview or not.

The US November-December 2007 magazine had a pull-out poster of a BIONICLE timeline leading up to a full-page teaser for the Phantoka.Wonder when the sets will show up at shop.LEGO.com.

They do previews like that from time to time (the Piraka come to mind; they tried to promote the heck out of them), though it has been a while since we've gotten something like that this far in advance. It just shows that they're working on the marketing aspect; I do feel like they've trailed on that a little bit since the beginning of this year, but it's good to see it pick back up. Think you could get a scan of that teaser?Anyway, I like the plastic bags idea. My parents will like it too, considering the space it saves XP. It's a fresh new idea, and makes more sense considering the size change-ups.Toxic Reapa still doesn't look too bad, but there will be some gaps on him. Evo looks a lot more pimp than his package pose, believe it or not. And Rocka just looks great.Evo doesn't have a right hand, though, it seems, which is odd.

Oh, look. Rocka does have a stumpy arm. The chest looks better than I expected, at least.I'd also like to point out that only the legs are being reused from the Fire Lord, the torso is somewhat different each time. Black Phantom's oddly low chest plate bothers me, though. Reapa's armor bothers me as well.

They do previews like that from time to time (the Piraka come to mind; they tried to promote the heck out of them), though it has been a while since we've gotten something like that this far in advance. It just shows that they're working on the marketing aspect; I do feel like they've trailed on that a little bit since the beginning of this year, but it's good to see it pick back up. Think you could get a scan of that teaser?Anyway, I like the plastic bags idea. My parents will like it too, considering the space it saves XP. It's a fresh new idea, and makes more sense considering the size change-ups.Toxic Reapa still doesn't look too bad, but there will be some gaps on him. Evo looks a lot more pimp than his package pose, believe it or not. And Rocka just looks great.Evo doesn't have a right hand, though, it seems, which is odd.
I don't know what you mean by "this far in advance". November-December is the last LEGO magazine of the year. There are always teasers for the next year in the November-December magazine. Just two years ago in 2009, there was a teaser for the Stars in the centerfold of the last BIONICLE comic, which came with the November-December issue.People often forget that LEGO magazines (Club, Club Jr., and previously Brickmaster) are bi-monthly rather than monthly, so I can understand the confusion. But really, getting an official look at new LEGO sets and themes at this time of year is pretty normal. Chances are that the sets themselves will start appearing on store shelves before the month is out (or, if not, at least near the beginning of December).

Well, the Stars were also released a bit earlier than normal, but they don't often call too much attention to upcoming sets because they want the holiday season to focus on the most recent set wave. And we haven't seen a Breakout teaser in this issue (US, at least) nor did we see any OoF stuff at the end of 2010, so I more meant that they have been less than teaserific for HF thus far.

Well, the Stars were also released a bit earlier than normal, but they don't often call too much attention to upcoming sets because they want the holiday season to focus on the most recent set wave. And we haven't seen a Breakout teaser in this issue (US, at least) nor did we see any OoF stuff at the end of 2010, so I more meant that they have been less than teaserific for HF thus far.

All I'm saying is that one year of sets is not much precedent. TLG has teasers for new sets in the November-December magazines and related comics all the time. What difference is it really if it's BIONICLE, Hero Factory, Ninjago, Dino, Power Miners, or Atlantis?

Well, these new Pictures are great. Rocka and Evo are easily my two favorite Hero Factory Heroes up to this point. Toxic Reapa is rather interesting, but it has a poorly made torso, but not Bad. Black Phantom, is not quite as good as Witch Doctor, but looks awesome. I hope to see the rest of these CGI like images pop up soon. And the return of The glatorian heads is most welcomed. As for the bags, ya they are space saving, help save money for pieces, but opening a canister has been tradition since 2001 for me, sad to see it go.-Star

Solaris Magnus. Formerly Starparu. 

The US November-December 2007 magazine had a pull-out poster of a BIONICLE timeline leading up to a full-page teaser for the Phantoka.Wonder when the sets will show up at shop.LEGO.com.

Thanks for the information on the past guys, I think the lack of early promotion for OoF last year threw me off. :PAnyway, here's the image. It's small like I said, but at least it's something. ;) Edited by Omicron Squad Leader

bzp_banner.jpg

If you look at the CGI shots, yeah, it's holding the Hero-Cuffs in place.

Oh, I see. For all this time I thought they were just floating there :balso I think the new "pouches"(...?) don't have zippers, cause of those red lines cutting right through it. It says "Re-sealable", so it can't be ripped or anything.

doom4revalt.png

@Mesonak and Kojol:What do you mean? I said I thought this was the worst wave, simply because I actually hate some of these sets, mildly dislike others, and only like a few. In the other three lines, I liked almost all sets, but never really hated any of them. The Pridak thing I guess was just a personal thing; he was my first Barraki, and I loved his build and everything over all the others. Plus, how many other shark-like sets have we seen since then? Pridak just stuck in my memory, and this Jawblade thing just doesn't look good at all to me.And I must ask: What do you see in Black Phantom, aside from his weapons, armour and colour scheme? It's the Fire Lord all over again, and I'm almost completely certain that no one really liked that build the first or second time. Revamping a failure once is understandable. A third time is pushing it dramatically.Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not thrilled with this line as of this point. But as I've said a few times before, my opinion is subject to change, if I see some good reviews and better pictures. What I'm seeing right now is not overall impressive, so until I actually see something, I'm sticking to what I've said as of this point in time.t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

You're assuming everybody regards the Fire Lord build as a failure; I don't, nor do I think a lot of people. It has some issues (mostly the shoulders, which it looks like they eradicated for this new wave), but the build itself doesn't have too many faults, and they keep improving it with each wave.You've just been saying that you "don't like/hate" these sets without giving many concrete reasons as to the why. Not everybody has to like everything, obviously, but if you can't articulate what it is about something that you don't like, then it's hard to make an argument for the faults that you see.

Just because the most vocal people in the community hated Fire Lord doesn't mean everyone did, as Dorek said. I for one loved Fire Lord; the basic design worked, and the only issues I had with him were awkward shoulder support and the lack of armor on the upper legs (which has been fixed in Black Phantom and Rocka XL respectively).With Black Phantom, the three things you listed (weapons, armor, and color scheme) make up a great deal of the set. And I like all three. So right off the bat he's a good set. As far as the build goes, which makes up the other part of the set, I'll be honest, I love it. I think there's always room for improvement (like covering the gaps in between the two leg bones, which they ironically did in Black Phantom with a t-shaped technic beam), but I'm perfectly fine with a perfected version of the Fire Lord build, with cool armor, weapons, and some nifty recolors.But that's just me.Really, there are only three things that I can find wrong with Black Phantom, in my opinion.1. The fact that the horns are a different color of red than the other red pieces on his body (mata to metru).2. The feet. Still bad.3. The fact that, judging by the latest cgi picture, his torso armor does not actually cover all of his torso, leaving the upper part exposed.The rest, IMO, is perfectly fine. Not Witch Doctor caliber or anything, but it's understandable, considering he's only $20. Not going to lie though, after Witch Doctor, I did expect something a little better. But who knows, maybe summer will bring that?-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

The only problem that I face with Rocka's new helmet, is that it doesn't resemble his 2.0 helmet, which a lot of these characters' helmets do. :(

The 2.0 helmet wasn't the same in the comic and in Savage Planet. Plus, there was barely any face time in either of those that the 4.0 should really resemble that.Plus, 2.0 helmets are composed of two pieces. I don't think the others' helmets are 2 pieces.
None of those statements was really what I was talking about. I thought that they should use the rough concept behind theTV Rocka 2.0, because the TV Episodes tend to be more canon than the comics.Also, I know that the 2.0 helmets are 2 pieces, and that the others aren't. That is nothing even related to my point, sorry.
All the others resemble their old helmets, and they're one piece. Rocka 2.0's is 2. So that is related to your point, sorry. Edited by Tenebrae Invictus

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Just because the most vocal people in the community hated Fire Lord doesn't mean everyone did, as Dorek said. I for one loved Fire Lord; the basic design worked, and the only issues I had with him were awkward shoulder support and the lack of armor on the upper legs (which has been fixed in Black Phantom and Rocka XL respectively).With Black Phantom, the three things you listed (weapons, armor, and color scheme) make up a great deal of the set. And I like all three. So right off the bat he's a good set. As far as the build goes, which makes up the other part of the set, I'll be honest, I love it. I think there's always room for improvement (like covering the gaps in between the two leg bones, which they ironically did in Black Phantom with a t-shaped technic beam), but I'm perfectly fine with a perfected version of the Fire Lord build, with cool armor, weapons, and some nifty recolors.But that's just me.Really, there are only three things that I can find wrong with Black Phantom, in my opinion.1. The fact that the horns are a different color of red than the other red pieces on his body (mata to metru).2. The feet. Still bad.3. The fact that, judging by the latest cgi picture, his torso armor does not actually cover all of his torso, leaving the upper part exposed.The rest, IMO, is perfectly fine. Not Witch Doctor caliber or anything, but it's understandable, considering he's only $20. Not going to lie though, after Witch Doctor, I did expect something a little better. But who knows, maybe summer will bring that?-Mesonak

Actually, the horn pieces used for Black Phantom (if they're the same ones as on the 3.0 villain sets) aren't Mata Red or Metru Red. They're actually transparent red, although with their rubber material and rough texture they're more translucent than transparent and do indeed resemble Mata Red more than Metru Red.I actually liked Fire Lord's foot design, but seeing a similar design for three waves in a row is somewhat tiresome. I agree Black Phantom looks awesome, and I'm glad TLG hasn't abandoned the Fire Lord build, but at the same time he doesn't show a whole lot of innovation, just a sort of streamlining of the established formula by using simpler shoulders and possibly a simpler torso.