Official 2012 Set Discussion

Mesonak

There's other stuff I disagree with in your post, along with stuff I agree with, but for now, I've got to defend my favorite set of the next wave.

Voltix: The way I see this set happening was something like "So, BZPower wants purple sets, but we think purple won't sell. Let's take one of our spare gunmetal-and-red villains and give him a few purple armor bits". Also, why does he have blue and yellow lightning stuff up the wazoo?

In case you haven't noticed, electricity is very colorful and uncontrollable. Vibrant and unpredictable. To me, Voltix looks like all these things. He looks like electricity was given a body to walk around in. He just oozes an electric vibe.electricity.jpgenergy.pngstatic%20electricity.jpgelectricity.jpgstaticelectricity.jpgAnd yellow is generally associated with lightning in cartons and warnings and whatnot, so the yellow on him is understandable.See, people are complaining about his multicolor look, but I think it just makes him look like electricity. If that was intended, then I say Lego did a fantastic job on him. They used all the colors commonly associated with lightning and electricity and managed to make it look good. And purple parts!But I can respect your(and other people's) dislike for him. It's your opinion and I'm in no position to change that. I just think Voltix looks cool and is at least a little better than some people give him credit for. Oh well, what do I know?

overlordsukapon.png

There's other stuff I disagree with in your post, along with stuff I agree with, but for now, I've got to defend my favorite set of the next wave.

Voltix: The way I see this set happening was something like "So, BZPower wants purple sets, but we think purple won't sell. Let's take one of our spare gunmetal-and-red villains and give him a few purple armor bits". Also, why does he have blue and yellow lightning stuff up the wazoo?

In case you haven't noticed, electricity is very colorful and uncontrollable. Vibrant and unpredictable. To me, Voltix looks like all these things. He looks like electricity was given a body to walk around in. He just oozes an electric vibe.And yellow is generally associated with lightning in cartons and warnings and whatnot, so the yellow on him is understandable.See, people are complaining about his multicolor look, but I think it just makes him look like electricity. If that was intended, then I say Lego did a fantastic job on him. They used all the colors commonly associated with lightning and electricity and managed to make it look good. And purple parts!But I can respect your(and other people's) dislike for him. It's your opinion and I'm in no position to change that. I just think Voltix looks cool and is at least a little better than some people give him credit for. Oh well, what do I know?
My problem is that Voltix gives of a general vibe of a standard-issue gunmetal/red villain set (see: Nitroblast, Fire Lord, Raw Jaw, Splitface, etc) with added purple and yellow. I like red/purple as an electricity color - I personally used it on any Toa of Plasma MOCs I made. If he were purple and red with gunmetal armor, I'd be fine with him. But red and gunmetal with purple armor and yellow and blue accents is too colorful for me.My main problem with him is the same problem that I stated more generally at the bottom of my previous post, basically. He's one of too many sets that consists of a reddish color (orange/red/purple) and a dark greyscale color (gunmetal/silver/black)

I really like Voltix. Color and all. It's crazy and, like lightning, unpredictable.And thanks, Squishypony, for those electricity pictures. Never realized how pretty it is and how much Voltix actually does look like lightning.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Since they've already released it, presumably keep it the same silver.

Not necessarily. The American packaging differs from the European packaging to begin with since American packaging has piece counts in the front and of course the warnings on the back are in different languages. I don't believe we've seen Breez yet in the American packaging, so it could still be gold.
We also don't know exactly how much the new packaging costs to produce. Changes could very well be easier with the "bags" than with the old plastic canisters.
Unlikely on that count; with the canisters, all they technically had to change was a label. Here, it would pretty much be the entire plastic bag container.Also yeah, I'm digging Voltix. It seems a bit jumbled at first glance, but there's a method to the madness in his whole scheme. Edited by Dorek

Not necessarily. The American packaging differs from the European packaging to begin with since American packaging has piece counts in the front and of course the warnings on the back are in different languages. I don't believe we've seen Breez yet in the American packaging, so it could still be gold.

Unlikely on that count; with the canisters, all they technically had to change was a label. Here, it would pretty much be the entire plastic bag container.
There's actually US bag arts for both Breez and Thornraxx , so most likely they'll just keep those for their eventual release.

I think that the silver part of the bag might be the bag it's self so changing it to gold would not be too hard.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I only need Evo to finish my winter collection... I guess I'm cheap.Anyway, I don't really love Black Phantom. He's cool, but buying Witch Doctor a few days before him gave him an incredibly high standard to live up to. I also really dislike the chest armor he uses. I guess that's also why I don't like the Ultrabuild sets, too. Everything else about him is cool, though.

AXKP5KC.png

I'm digging the chest myself, but yeah, he's more of an improved FL than a drastically new titan, but he really has made the FL design better. Makes me look forward to Stormer, who promises to be quite different from all of them. My least favorite bit was the long neck, so I shortened it. Also made the mace a bit taller, cuz it looks better that way.

I did not really like Black Phantom all that much. Even during the Bionicle day I did not care for the bad guys to be all be giants compared to the heroes. I mad BP smaller and much more simple too the point I'm not sure he really BP any more...

You are their rock.

I did not really like Black Phantom all that much. Even during the Bionicle day I did not care for the bad guys to be all be giants compared to the heroes. I mad BP smaller and much more simple too the point I'm not sure he really BP any more...

Well, Bionicle never really had that. Several titan sets were good guys, and the main heroes and villains were the same size. Hero Factory, after three waves of that, also did away with it. Breez, Rocka, Bulk, and Furno are larger than Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, XT4, and Jawblade, and Stormer is titan-sized, and thus bigger than everyone but Black Phantom.

Well, Bionicle never really had that. Several titan sets were good guys, and the main heroes and villains were the same size.Hero Factory, after three waves of that, also did away with it. Breez, Rocka, Bulk, and Furno are larger than Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, XT4, and Jawblade, and Stormer is titan-sized, and thus bigger than everyone but Black Phantom.
There were no "titan sets" that were good guys until 2005. Previously, any figure larger than a Toa, except arguably the Exo-Toa armor, tended to be a villain or adversary for the Toa. So there was a time in BIONICLE's lifespan when this could have annoyed some people, even if it was soon remedied.I personally like that this year the sets are becoming more balanced, with the Heroes and villains being more diverse in size. However, it bugs me a bit that this makes the Heroes less consistent, and in some cases makes them disproportionate. I have plans to moderator Breez to be the same height as Stormer 2.0. Still taller than Surge and Evo, but with the legs more in proportion to the body. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Well, Bionicle never really had that. Several titan sets were good guys, and the main heroes and villains were the same size.Hero Factory, after three waves of that, also did away with it. Breez, Rocka, Bulk, and Furno are larger than Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, XT4, and Jawblade, and Stormer is titan-sized, and thus bigger than everyone but Black Phantom.
There were no "titan sets" that were good guys until 2005. Previously, any figure larger than a Toa, except arguably the Exo-Toa armor, tended to be a villain or adversary for the Toa. So there was a time in BIONICLE's lifespan when this could have annoyed some people, even if it was soon remedied.I personally like that this year the sets are becoming more balanced, with the Heroes and villains being more diverse in size. However, it bugs me a bit that this makes the Heroes less consistent, and in some cases makes them disproportionate. I have plans to moderator Breez to be the same height as Stormer 2.0. Still taller than Surge and Evo, but with the legs more in proportion to the body.
Although, only a few actual villain titan sets were released before 2005: the Bahrag, Nidhiki, Krekka, and two Makutas.However, I actually like having the villains be larger and more powerful - it's sort of the opposite of how a lot of fiction goes. Normally, you have hordes of enemy soldiers, and a small number of superpowered heroes, but Hero Factory generally has several times as many heroes fighting a villain at any one time.

I really like they way they did this years line up. I get the whole big imposing bad guy thing but I don't really like them to be so big that the are overwhelming. Bad guys should be imposing because of their personality as well as their size.

You are their rock.

I really like they way they did this years line up. I get the whole big imposing bad guy thing but I don't really like them to be so big that the are overwhelming. Bad guys should be imposing because of their personality as well as their size.

Agreed. Toxic Reapa is pretty small, but he oozes evil.

Takua Nui

of

GoAnimate

Core Hunter: He's decent. We don't really need more black and red sets, though.Also: Villain sets using an orange or red and black/silver/gunmetal as their color scheme:1.0 - X-Plode, Rotor (1/3)2.0 - Fire Lord, Jetbug, Drilldozer, Nitroblast (1)3.0 - Raw-Jaw, Fangz (2/5)Breakout 1 - Splitface, Jawblade, Black Phantom (3/5)Breakout 2 - Core Hunter, Voltix (1/2)Total: 12 (out of 24)This is getting ridiculous.

Come on, black, red, and silver are awesome colors! Also, huge villains just emphasizes the teamwork aspect.

aouROFb.png

Core Hunter: He's decent. We don't really need more black and red sets, though.Also: Villain sets using an orange or red and black/silver/gunmetal as their color scheme:1.0 - X-Plode, Rotor (1/3)2.0 - Fire Lord, Jetbug, Drilldozer, Nitroblast (1)3.0 - Raw-Jaw, Fangz (2/5)Breakout 1 - Splitface, Jawblade, Black Phantom (3/5)Breakout 2 - Core Hunter, Voltix (1/2)Total: 12 (out of 24)This is getting ridiculous.

Come on, black, red, and silver are awesome colors! Also, huge villains just emphasizes the teamwork aspect.
Black, red and a metallic colors always work so well together I really don't see a problem with Lego using it once or twice a year.As for huge villains I can see the team work angle of it but it did not really pan out that was with the Witch Doctor, and from what I've see of the Breakout it looks like it'll be more Rocka does the fighting wile the other heroes cheer him on. I hate Rocka so much.

You are their rock.

Black, red and a metallic colors always work so well together I really don't see a problem with Lego using it once or twice a year.As for huge villains I can see the team work angle of it but it did not really pan out that was with the Witch Doctor, and from what I've see of the Breakout it looks like it'll be more Rocka does the fighting wile the other heroes cheer him on. I hate Rocka so much.
I hate when they throw in new characters and make them the center of attention so quickly.

Takua Nui

of

GoAnimate

I hate when they throw in new characters and make them the center of attention so quickly.
Yeah, i mean with Furno it kind of made sense(He was Red and it was the very start of the line)but Rocka can't be more than a few months old(Chronologically)at this point(assuming all the HF waves happen in fairly quick succession in-universe).~ELM~
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

Black Phantom hardly seems like much more than a ringleader, so it's not like Rocka does all the fighting. In fact, it looks like Black Phantom will be taken out of the picture fairly quickly, seeing as he never leaves the Factory. I personally love the way the heroes split up to take out separate villains, and I hope it leads to more character development for all of them.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The villains are always quite good in Hero Factory. Lot's of variety in their designs. Last year's villains were pretty cool (mostly the jungle ones) and I'm glad they haven't lost that touch.The Heroes though... weird colours and design choices for almost all of them. I do like the new helmets for Evo and Rocka, but the reuse on the rest of them seems super lazy. And what is with the bags? I guess they are more Eco-friendly, but man it is a really strange change.Also, looking at the the new toy-fair pics and Preston Stormer looks like a BOSS.-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Yeah, i mean with Furno it kind of made sense(He was Red and it was the very start of the line)but Rocka can't be more than a few months old(Chronologically)at this point(assuming all the HF waves happen in fairly quick succession in-universe).~ELM~
Not only that but when Bill was introduced he had some redeeming qualities. Rocka just came on the seen and talked a good game but then got captured by the Doc.

You are their rock.

Not only that but when Bill was introduced he had some redeeming qualities. Rocka just came on the seen and talked a good game but then got captured by the Doc.

The villains are always quite good in Hero Factory. Lot's of variety in their designs. Last year's villains were pretty cool (mostly the jungle ones) and I'm glad they haven't lost that touch.The Heroes though... weird colours and design choices for almost all of them. I do like the new helmets for Evo and Rocka, but the reuse on the rest of them seems super lazy. And what is with the bags? I guess they are more Eco-friendly, but man it is a really strange change.Also, looking at the the new toy-fair pics and Preston Stormer looks like a BOSS.-NotS

I 100% disagree that the use of old masks is "lazy". I think it does well to call back to each hero's origins. Lord knows a lot of BIONICLE fans would have preferred the Phantoka and Mistika Toa Nuva to keep their old masks.And the bags are probably less about being eco-friendly and more about being cost-efficient. Not to mention how many complaints I've heard about the storage of canisters. Now we have a form of packaging that is at the same time durable, collapsible (when you have the set out), and useful (when you want to store the set back inside).

People don't give Rocka enough credit. He's a very different character than Furno. Furno was never told about Mr. Makuro's suspicion that he was destined for greatness. His character development was a very standard one of maturing as a hero, and learning that it's not all about the glory. Once he had laid the groundwork for how heroes matured, Rocka came onto the scene as a foil to Furno. Rocka IS aware of others' expectations of him to be "the next Furno", and although he puts up a confident facade, he's extremely insecure about whether he can live up to those expectations. Meanwhile, Furno has to temper his jealosy of Rocka so that he can work with the new hero as a sort of mentor. Rocka's introduction has led to more character development for both him and Furno, so I don't see why the two of them get so much hate. Yes, the story revolves around Furno. Hero Factory has since the beginning been a story about how Furno goes from a rookie to a veteran hero. Rocka is not an usurper, but a character created to complement Furno now that Furno is less inexperienced.

Seems like fans aren't willing to cope with another Tahu. :biggrin: As for me, Furno is no doubt my favorite character in the HF tv series. I love his personality and how he handles situations-- it seems like every new mission presents a physical or emotional boundary he has to overcome. Lyichir, I completely agree with you. Both Furno and Rocka have proven to be extra-ordinary characters, and I think they're some of the strongest driving factors of HF. Here's to hoping that both of them pull it off in the Breakout movie.

Black, red and a metallic colors always work so well together I really don't see a problem with Lego using it once or twice a year.
The problem is, half of the sets every wave have the same color scheme.Can't we have a few villains use cool colors (mata green, mata blue, metru green, metru blue, teal, purple (Voltix doesn't count, dangit), et cetera?) every now and then?My color breakdown:Fire Colors: 13/25 (To be fair, possibly a broader category than the others)Yellow: 3/25 (Meltdown, Waspix, XT4)Lime Green: 4/25 (Corroder, Scorpio, Toxic Reapa, Speeda Demon)Black without warm colors: 2/25 (Thunder, Von Nebula)Other: 3/25Vapour - BlueWitch Doctor - WhiteThornraxx - Teal and Orange(Note: I miscounted the number of firey-colored villains and forgot Vapour last time)

Black, red and a metallic colors always work so well together I really don't see a problem with Lego using it once or twice a year.
The problem is, half of the sets every wave have the same color scheme.Can't we have a few villains use cool colors (mata green, mata blue, metru green, metru blue, teal, purple (Voltix doesn't count, dangit), et cetera?) every now and then?My color breakdown:Fire Colors: 13/25 (To be fair, possibly a broader category than the others)Yellow: 3/25 (Meltdown, Waspix, XT4)Lime Green: 4/25 (Corroder, Scorpio, Toxic Reapa, Speeda Demon)Black without warm colors: 2/25 (Thunder, Von Nebula)Other: 3/25Vapour - BlueWitch Doctor - WhiteThornraxx - Teal and Orange(Note: I miscounted the number of firey-colored villains and forgot Vapour last time)
Personally, I'm glad Hero Factory has stuck to a lot of the more vibrant colors and not started using the Metru colors very heavily. One reason for this is that I think brighter colors suit Hero Factory better than Metru colors would, but another reason is that I think now that TLG has introduced a new building system it would be ideal for them to release as many parts as possible in the colors they're already using widely rather than moving on to a different set of colors. This way the parts available to MOC with are more intercompatible.I do feel we need more Bright Blue (Mata Blue) in villain sets, though. There were hardly any "cool colors" (blue, green, and purple, not cool as in "awesome") in the Savage Planet sets for either the heroes or villains. Of course, the Super Heroes theme has helped a decent amount with this. Personally, I'd rather see more Bright Green parts like are used in Green Lantern than dark green (Mata Green), again because I feel vibrant colors are well-suited to Hero Factory.

News, guys. Apparently, "Breakout: Part one" has already aired in Korea, and somebody from another site posted some info. about it: (NOTE: Spoilers are in white font. Highlight to read)Von Nebula escapes the Black Hole staff and is behind the Breakout. Rocka becomes a Recon Team member, which causes the other heroes to distrust him. Speeda Demon appears in this, and Stormer goes after him on a white Furno bike, on an ice planet. At the end, Black Phantom traps the Hero Factory employees or shuts them down or something. Also, apparently there's also a "Breakout: Part two." "The Box" parts one and two, will be airing later in the year.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Personally, I'm glad Hero Factory has stuck to a lot of the more vibrant colors and not started using the Metru colors very heavily. One reason for this is that I think brighter colors suit Hero Factory better than Metru colors would, but another reason is that I think now that TLG has introduced a new building system it would be ideal for them to release as many parts as possible in the colors they're already using widely rather than moving on to a different set of colors. This way the parts available to MOC with are more intercompatible.I do feel we need more Bright Blue (Mata Blue) in villain sets, though. There were hardly any "cool colors" (blue, green, and purple, not cool as in "awesome") in the Savage Planet sets for either the heroes or villains. Of course, the Super Heroes theme has helped a decent amount with this. Personally, I'd rather see more Bright Green parts like are used in Green Lantern than dark green (Mata Green), again because I feel vibrant colors are well-suited to Hero Factory.
It's good that we get consistent colors, as large MOCs can get more consistent color schemes.

aouROFb.png

Saw those screenshots, digging it. The wing things ARE scout drones after all, which is wub.And Stormer has a bike, which is just... lulz.I must say, though, this year is suffering from the same thing as past years which is "throw everything out there at the beginning of the year and take a nap until summer" syndrome; we've known there was going to be a breakout show forever, but we have no idea when it is, and it probably won't be advertised until a few weeks beforehand anyway.

Hmm, the plot sounds interesting for this one. And (highlight) I guess that Black Phantom was just a distraction during the breakout. I'm glad to see that Von Nebula came back, especially with how Rise of the Rookies ended.

Black Phantom is no more a distraction than any of the other villains. Regardless of the fact that <Von Nebula seems to have freed them>, most of the villains seem to be operating independently. Everyone automatically assumes that every group of villains has to have a leader, but really I like it more when we have lots of strong villain characters instead of one leader and a bunch of minions. <Black Phantom is certainly up to something by releasing the villains, but that doesn't mean they're taking orders from him. He doesn't need to order them around to get them to play into his hands.>

I was under the impression that Green Lantern was Mata Green.I agree that dark blue and green should not be major primary colors, and I largely included them on the list of cool colors because I was listing everything else.I do think, however, that there should be a few sets that use them, if not as primary colors.

Yup, Stormer XL won't be fitting on that.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801