The Movie You Saw Last

The force awakens. It's just a remake of episode 4 with new characters. I was super happy to see that riot control stormtrooper who battled Finn and he reminds me how much cooler he is than Captain Phasma.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I just finished Mad Max: Fury Road. Probably going to watch it again immediately, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Last night I watched Super, with Rainn Wilson. Also a good movie, I'm a big fan of the regular-Joe-tries-superhero genre. It made me want to watch Defendor again.

IetTsFQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Mad Max: Fury Road again. I think I'll rewatch Super again as well.  :guilty:

I only saw Fury Road once. Now stop, I already feel bad that I only saw it once in theaters and can't watch it again for the moment. :P

Last movies I saw were The Martian and American Psycho. Two very good ones, though American Psycho didn't help my already high levels of paranoia and general distrust of other people.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 2 weeks later...

Wow the last movie I watched, its been a while to be honest, I know the last I saw in cinemas was obviously The Force Awakens on December 18th, but since then haven't watched to much, maybe it was The Mask of Light last month, but not 100% sure.

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

• 1 month later...

Dawn of Justice. I enjoyed the movie, I actually enjoyed the films adaptation of Lex Luthor (I was rather worried), He still has a man vs god ideology that is the cornerstone of his paranoia and hatred of Superman, he just has a different personality.

However, I thought some moments with the fight at the end involving Wonder Woman lasted too long and were only made to give her more screen time and publicity for trailers; many scenes involving her in-general felt forced. Also, Aquaman's cameo was very strange, just, staring at the camera for too long, then stabbed the camera and zipped off. I LOVE the Darkseid easter eggs though! A Superman vs Darkseid live-action battle in this movie franchise should be one of the most epic things ever seen.

Great movie, but slightly inferior to Man of Steel IMO (honestly one of my favorite movies, despite some small flaws). "I WILL FIND HIM!!"

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

• 2 weeks later...

2016's remake of The Jungle Book.

In my humble opinion, it's slightly superior to the great 1967 animated version - it incorporates some of the darker elements of Kipling's tales without becoming particularly family unfriendly and has some really great voice work - Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Walken, Scarlett Johanssen, and Idris Elba in an excellent turn as Shere Khan. There are less musical items than in the original, but the songs that do feature are good homages to the original whilst taking on a little life of their own - though don't blend quite as well as they did in the original.

Walt Disney's squeamishness ​does show in the original - he cut out practically all of the dark bits and just keeps the characters and a few broad ideas and not much else. There's dialogue lifted straight from the books in the remake, and there's a true element of jungle savageness at the climax and an air of gravity throughout that informs you that this is the jungle.

It clears up a number of geographical inaccuracies in the original film - there are no orangutans in India; and throws in a few allusions to other films - King Louie of the Bandar-log first appears swathed in darkness, doing a hilarious Marlon Brando-in-Apocalypse Now parody with a bit of Vito Corleone on the side. It's not often you see remakes this good, so go and watch it.  

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

2016's remake of The Jungle Book.

In my humble opinion, it's slightly superior to the great 1967 animated version - it incorporates some of the darker elements of Kipling's tales without becoming particularly family unfriendly and has some really great voice work - Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Walken, Scarlett Johanssen, and Idris Elba in an excellent turn as Shere Khan. There are less musical items than in the original, but the songs that do feature are good homages to the original whilst taking on a little life of their own - though don't blend quite as well as they did in the original.

Walt Disney's squeamishness ​does show in the original - he cut out practically all of the dark bits and just keeps the characters and a few broad ideas and not much else. There's dialogue lifted straight from the books in the remake, and there's a true element of jungle savageness at the climax and an air of gravity throughout that informs you that this is the jungle.

It clears up a number of geographical inaccuracies in the original film - there are no orangutans in India; and throws in a few allusions to other films - King Louie of the Bandar-log first appears swathed in darkness, doing a hilarious Marlon Brando-in-Apocalypse Now parody with a bit of Vito Corleone on the side. It's not often you see remakes this good, so go and watch it.  

i have been wanting to see this movie. Good to know that it is a good movie! Thanks for the review! And yeah, the Orangutan bit always did confuse me when looking back at the film in memory and applying what I know now.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I watched Zootopia last week, and it was BRILLIANT.  It was jam-packed with clever Easter eggs and references, and the humor was actually...well, humorous. The voice acting was excellent as well. Best of all, the plot is less predictable than I expected. It's a solid film, and I highly recommend it. 

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

Hardcore Henry

This movie contains gore and nudity, so viewer discretion advised. Everyone that likes action NEEDS TO SEE THIS FILM! It is not too deep story-wise and mainly serves as a template for the action, like a Serious Sam game, but it is creative and is one of the best action movies I've seen, right next to Mad Max: Fury Road and The Raid. Based in Russia, the movie is in first person point of view of a cyborg who must stop a pale Russian wizard (his powers reminds me of the Force) who plans to take over the world so that he can save his wife and SAVE THE WORLD! He is aided by his mysterious but insane ally, Jimmy. The whole thing reminds me of something Regular Show would spoof in it's awesome absurdity. Lastly, the movie has extremely long takes and continuous scenes, which is amazing given the stunts performed in this movie and it makes one wonder just how many times stuff had to get done to perfection.

Jimmy is now one of my favorite movie characters ever, the thick-arse South African accent is probably a big reason as it fits the insanity.

---

I also saw Army of Darkness.

Ash Williams, undead hunter and supermarket store employee with a chainsaw for a hand and one-liners aplenty gets sent back to the 1300's north England and must fight witches, b**hes, dimwitted skelly-wellies, monsters, pixies, and even an evil doppleganger if he wants to return back to his time period before he is late for work! This entire thing reminded me of a live-action episode of Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and I have no doubt that this movie and it's predecessor Evil Dead inspired the show.

Overall, these two movies made my little brother's birthday a very fun day.

EDIT:

Since April 17th, I've seen a few more movies (not in order):

Evil Dead - A scary movie when it first came out, this movie only had one 'scary' moment for me and it was a jumpscare at that. It was pretty nasty though, very gory. While having moments of tension, it was more revolting than scary.

Ratatoullie - Classic animated movie. Thanks to Robot Chicken, however, I kept being reminded of the bit where Remmy was fighting a cat, they both using a human body like a mecha, then a dog cop piloting a cop bursts in and shoots at the cat. :lol:

Disney's Tarzan - a childhood favorite of mine, and still a good movie. This film is probably what made me a fan of Phil Collins. :P

Last Stand at Saber River - A good but slow western that has some meaningful action. Takes place at the end of the American Civil War, set in Arizona (and Texas for a bit), and has Tom Sulleck as the lead: how could I not like this?

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Tale - Another childhood favorite of mine, this didn't live up to my adoration for it back when I was a kid. Though not a bad movie, it's just average. You know what? I'll place it at above average; if you are a small child then you might love it like I did. Funniest part for me was when the movie was almost done and my brother said 'this is a very weird movie'. :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 25th update: Guys, c'mon, watch more movies!

Mad Max: Fury Road - Finally got to see it again, this movie still blows me away, screened big or small.

Excalibur - Well I certainly have mixed feelings for this movie.  It is a 1981 depiction of the King Arthur story and an introduction with his father Uther Pendragon. There is sex, nudity, lots of blood, and some gore (though it is low-detailed) however, so viewer discretion advised.

First off, let me say that i love the effects in this movie, gives a dream-like appearance and reminds of me of Shakespearean imagery. The metallic shine and the mystical green glow of the eponymous sword of power are absolutely great. I also appreciated the stark contrast of the darkness and light, as is evident in the second half of the movie with darkness over taking the land. The acting was mostly good, except for the scenes of young Arthur, where he was a derpy doofus and it made me bewildered that this guy was the main protagonist, but as he grew his beard and time went on I grew to welcome him. Seriously, the way Excalibur was handled after pulling it from the stone and the formation of the Knights of the Round Table were laughable when they weren't supposed to be. Also, the historical contemporary inaccuracies in relation to the battle armor threw me off for half of the film (Renaissance-style plate armor instead of mail coats and bucket helmets), where I eventually got over it and accepted it as part of the fantasy movie.

I recommend seeing this movie, and once you get past the mixed first half and you become accustomed to all the characters the rest of the movie pays off. I just wish it ended with hints about the return of the Jute Germanics.  :shrugs:

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo.

It's one of my favourite films and re-watching it is always a pleasure. The acting is great, the cinematography brilliant - it's a Kurosawa film, what do you expect? Like Kurosawa's masterpiece, Seven Samurai, it was influenced by the West and Westerns, but ended up having tremendous influence over the West and Westerns. It's both a satire on ancient samurai tradition, a black comedy, a historical crime film and a microcosmic apocalypse. The plot was ripped off by Sergio Leone in his spaghetti western A Fistful of Dollars, ​which launched Clint Eastwood to stardom. Anyway, if you only see one Japanese film in your life, make it a Kurosawa. And if you don't plan to see just one - GET DOWN TO THE STORE/LIBRARY/WHATEVER YOU BUY YOUR DVD'S AT AND START BUYING/BORROWING/NETFLIXING AND THEN WATCHING KUROSAWA MOVIES!

Hey, I can finally stop editing that one post.

Escape from New York - classic action movie, though I think I prefer the sequel, Escape from Las Angeles.

Dune - A weird movie so full of potential but failed. I myself feel weird because of it and am in dire need to see a good movie to get me out of this funk. Let's see is playing a good video game can do the trick.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

The Force Awakens, finally.

​It was good. I liked Kylo Ren more than I thought I would. A planet with a giant superweapon inside it that can destroy star systems is way cooler than a moon-sized superweapon that destroys planets IMO.

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Prince of Egypt - Overall a great movie, but a couple of problems. Miriam annoyed me for some reason, Aaron isn't accurate to the Holy Bible (in the movie he is portrayed as a doubter, when he was actually a helper of Moses and spoke for the shy prophet), and though it made for great spectacle some of the events didn't visually transpire accurately. I am not one for musicals, but you got to admit that 'All I Ever Wanted' is good. :P

I hope to watch Joseph: King of Dreams tonight.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

From the director of:

THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY

THE HOBBIT TRILOGY

KING KONG

and

HEAVENLY CREATURES

...comes his debut no-budget splatstick science-fiction horror-comedy classic:

BAD TASTE

Prepare for a chunderiffic evening of blood! guts! vomit! laughs! chainsaws! a shamelessly dodgy alien fast-food chain! aaaaaaand a kiwi bloke named Derek!

This should come under guilty pleasures.

It doesn't.

I love it to bits, and every time I watch it still manages to delight and be hilarious. 95% of the acting is casually amateur (but is strangely watchable), the cinematography is sometimes a bit shaky - though undoubtedly clever and ambitious - and it was filmed over the course of four years on weekends. It's an absolute GEM. The effects sometimes are - though often intentionally campy - surprisingly good (especially when they involve chainsaws and guns).

It's sort of like low-budget Sam Raimi - think of Evil Dead II - but at the same time very different. 

Also watched Monsoon Wedding. Good film. Cued some English-class flashbacks.

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Finally got around to watching Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends after having the DVD sitting on my desk for a couple of months. It's the final entry in the trilogy of the live action adaptations of the manga/anime, and although I still enjoyed it a lot, it's definitely my least favourite of the three.

Even having split the Kyoto arc into two films they still obviously couldn't cover all of it, so they ended up cutting a whole bunch of stuff from the source material, which is even more the case with this film than the previous one. Combined with the remaining story being quite rushed through, the movie definitely fails to even come close to the attachment and involvement that the manga and anime achieved. There's various characters that appear in the background or as part of larger fight scenes, but almost none of them are mentioned by name or even talk. They're pretty much just there so that fans can go "hey, that's Usui/Anji/whoever in the back" which is a bit disappointing. I've also talked about how disappointed I was with how they handled Aoshi's character in the second film, and they continue to completely botch it here too. At least this time I was expecting it so it was a bit easier to look past, but it's still a shame that they wasted such an interesting and compelling character. As usual, there's also countless gripes I have with things they've changed or omitted, but it's probably for the best if I don't start getting into it.

Still though, definitely enjoyed it despite all the complaints. As a huge fan of the Rurouni Kenshin manga and anime, I'm pretty happy with how this trilogy turned out. Nice to know that I can at least go back to these three if there ends up being an inevitably terrible Hollywood adaptation of it.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

Judge Dredd (1995). Almost everything in that movie falls flat except for its attempts to explore the themes of cloning, genetic engineering and the fallibility of the justice system.

Captain America: Civil War

It's a fantastic Avengers movie - maybe even the best Avengers movie - but it's not a great Captain America movie. In that respect, Winter Soldier is the superior film.

+1  ;)

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

Watched the 1948 adaptation of Hamlet, as directed by Laurence Olivier, which was alright. Fairly solid as an adaptation, but there's too many things it cut from the play for my liking, such as entire characters like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, as well as Fortinbras. Kenneth Branagh's version is definitely better, though admittedly it does have the benefit of being made almost 50 years after Olivier's.

Also finally got around to finishing off the filmography of my favourite director, Wong Kar-wai, with the last two of his films I hadn't seen yet: As Tears Go By and Happy Together. Both excellent films, although neither on the same level as his best works. But that's okay, because very few things are.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

10 Cloverfield Lane.

loved it. probably my favorite movie of 2016 so far. without spoiling anything, it's an all-around better film than Cloverfield, a very different film in some ways, a very similar film in other ways, and a very worthy successor in pretty much every possible way.

Felt like watching some Ralph Bakshi last night, so I put on my blu-ray of Wizards.

Probably one of my favorite animated films. It's far from perfect, but it's an enjoyable (and somewhat trippy) little fantasy movie. Great inspiration for tabletop stuff, though.

I also saw Army of Darkness.

Ash Williams, undead hunter and supermarket store employee with a chainsaw for a hand and one-liners aplenty gets sent back to the 1300's north England and must fight witches, b**hes, dimwitted skelly-wellies, monsters, pixies, and even an evil doppleganger if he wants to return back to his time period before he is late for work! This entire thing reminded me of a live-action episode of Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and I have no doubt that this movie and it's predecessor Evil Dead inspired the show.

Overall, these two movies made my little brother's birthday a very fun day.

EDIT:

Since April 17th, I've seen a few more movies (not in order):

Evil Dead - A scary movie when it first came out, this movie only had one 'scary' moment for me and it was a jumpscare at that. It was pretty nasty though, very gory. While having moments of tension, it was more revolting than scary.

Evil Dead is a huge influence on Billy and Mandy, yeah- there's lots of little jokes about it, mainly one character being half-Ash parody, half Snake Plisskin parody. Have you seen Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn yet? It holds up much better than the original movie, mostly since it's arguably the best horror-comedy ever made. It's like watching a deranged Three Stooges, it's absolutely wonderful.

The remake's alright too, but is honestly quite a bit weaker than the original three movies.

hElbrZ6.gif

2001: A Space Odyssey. Loved it, didn't want it to end, had to look up the meaning behind it. It's definitely something I'll be watching again.

Also watched Jurassic Park and rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road. The former was alright I guess, and the latter was spectacular as always.

IetTsFQ.png

Avengers: Age of Ultron, since I should probably start catching up with these Marvel movies out of some misplaced sense of obligation.

I actually thought this one was pretty alright, especially coming after the fairly awful Winter Soldier. Nothing to really write home about, but mostly a fun dumb movie.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The Green Mile and Akira Kurosawa's Sanjuro.

The Green Mile is an incredible film - heartbreaking but brilliant - and its three hour runtime and seemingly slow pace helps build complex character and relationship. It's a well-written, well-acted (Michael Clarke Duncan in particular was phenomenal), well-shot film that leaves plenty of food for thought and may very well be a life-changer.

Sanjuro is a sort of sequel to Yojimbo, and it is a very entertaining film. It has plenty of humour, as did the Yojimbo, though there is a strong comedy of manners element to Sanjuro as the grumpy, uncouth ronin puts up with all the intrigue amongst the upper classes, in contrast to the primarily dark wit of its predecessor. It also boasts the fastest duel in movie history, which is pretty spectacular. Its many characters sometimes makes the plot a bit complicated, but all my complaints became irrelevant when Toshiro Mifune pulled out his katana and started fighting some foo's. All in all, I must admit, I preferred Yojimbo, but Sanjuro is a great film nonetheless, and its definitely one for a rewatch.

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Interstellar. I enjoyed it, will probably watch it again. I did have some trouble making sense of the ending.

Gravity. Pretty slow & simple, but I loved being in space and it was overall a really captivating movie. Watched it a second time too.

Mad Max. The original Mad Max was just pretty good, maybe I missed something but it really seems like the antagonist was just a bully for the sake of being a bully...like he didn't have any motivation in the second half of the movie. It was alright though, maybe I'll watch the sequels.

IetTsFQ.png