The Movie You Saw Last

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks.

It was cute and happy and certainly a nice little feelgood movie. ^_^

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Hunger Games The Third One. As with Catching Fire, I thought Mockingjay 1 was better than the book, mostly in that the actors - in my mind, at least - did a fantastic job of conveying the emotional weight of what was going on, an area in which I found the book to be lacking.

Q2TtLEz.png

Glengarry Glen Ross. This movie had amazing writing and amazing acting. But absolutely no way to make competition in Real Estate anything remotely interesting.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

^ Same here :P 

I never read the books. I have my friends' copies but I never got around to reading them so the movies are my first experience of the world of Hunger Game. Because of this I don't think I can compare the books to the movies maybe until I read them.

Mockingjay Part 1 exceeded my expectations. I thought the first Hunger Games was alright and found Catching Fire even better but I had no idea that Mockingjay was going to be so epic. A certain scene that is accompanied by that hanging tree song that's performed by Jennifer Lawrence just makes the epic scene that little bit more epic to push it over the line from epic to ultimate awesome. 

It might seem I'm over exaggerating but I'm not, I really, really enjoyed this film.

Edited by Toa Kayn

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Excalibur.

Enjoyable take on Arthurian myth. Characterization is on the weak side, but a strong plot and solid acting makes up for it. On the other hand, the pacing feels like a few transitions were cut in editing.  Still, a pretty enjoyable movie.

hElbrZ6.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Mockingjay Part 1. If you ask me, this is what a movie adaptation out to do. It tells the same story from a different perspective, focusing on different things and filling in gaps. The series as a whole has been good at that. An example is how the extraction of the victors from the Capitol is the climax of the movie, even though the extraction itself is only mentioned in the book. I especially like how Coin is portrayed. Even though Katniss distrusts her immediately from the beginning in the book, she movie depicts her positively, since Katniss isn't directly narrating. This is how to use the medium of film to its full advantage.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Catching Fire. It's not the film's fault as it's just adapting the book, but I think it's unfortunate that it's essentially a retread of the first film. It's an improved retread, but Collins really should have been bold enough to do something different for the second installment. She (or the screenwriters if they wanted to be bold enough) could have at least changed up the games arena to something different, but even that was pretty much the same visually.

Broken Circle Breakdown. It's an emotionally draining movie that is well acted, but there are time jumps in the screenplay that I think could have been made more coherent in the editing room. But that's a minor complain in an otherwise great movie. And it has one of the best compilation song tracks since O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

"Into the Storm". about 1/2 of it was scientifically inacurate, and in the scene where the camera guy gets sucked into the fire tornado, he would have died from burns, suffocation, and implosion about 20 feet off the ground, not burning 200 feet off the ground.

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Anchorman 2 and Dumb and Dumber.

Anchorman 2 was silly and pretty much exactly what I expected. The first two thirds were alright, with some good laughs and a lot of failed humor, then it got really boring when he got blind. Whatever.

I had already seen Dumb and Dumber but it was just as great the second time around. Too bad Lloyd and Harry didn't really have a happy ending though.

Also I just looked up how to spell Lloyd's name, and apparently there is a Dumb and Dumber two?? I think I'll give that a looksie.

IetTsFQ.png

• 3 weeks later...

The Imitation Game in theater, Edge of Tomorrow at home.

The Imitation Game was very good.  Cumberbatch's performance was the best part of the entire movie.  I don't care if it wasn't historically accurate.  It was still a great movie.  8/10.

I had already seen Edge of Tomorrow before I watched it again on VOD.  It was just as good as the first time.  The narrative and story are perfectly executed, it was hilarious, the action was really good, etc.  Second-best sci-fi film of 2014 (of those I've seen) behind Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  9/10.

Sorry for the short reviews, I didn't have that much to say.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

Gone Girl

I'm confused because Flynn said she rewrote the ending for the movie so those who read the book would still have some surprises for them. I even heard a radio station guy comment on how the ending was "pretty different from the book."

But I read the book before seeing the movie, and it was exactly the same? Did I read the same book that Flynn wrote or am I just dumb? Anyone help me out here?

BZPRPG

Out of theaters I recently re-watched Speed; in theaters the last film I saw was Battle of the Five Armies (sigh).

But I read the book before seeing the movie, and it was exactly the same? Did I read the same book that Flynn wrote or am I just dumb? Anyone help me out here?

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing, as I didn't really notice many differences either (plenty of differences throughout the film, but the ending specifically didn't seem much different).

The only thing is, I'm pretty sure the way NPH's character was killed was different, but he was still killed, and if I remember right his throat was slit both times, so I don't consider that "pretty different" at all...

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing, as I didn't really notice many differences either (plenty of differences throughout the film, but the ending specifically didn't seem much different).

The only thing is, I'm pretty sure the way NPH's character was killed was different, but he was still killed, and if I remember right his throat was slit both times, so I don't consider that "pretty different" at all...

I'm just going to guess that what I read was rumor rather than confirmation, and that I just completey misheard Radio Guy. Because yeah there were changes, but they were all for the purpose of streamlining the novel into a movie length screenplay. :shrugs: I do have to admit I was a little disappointed that it was the same, though. I don't dislike the book's ending by any means, but I was looking forward to being surprised.

Oh well.

...in theaters the last film I saw was Battle of the Five Armies (sigh).

Emphasis mine. Yeah, I had the same thought coming out. Overall, it was a flawed ending to a very flawed trilogy. Strangely enough, though, I'm glad the movies exist. As far as I'm concerned, the more versions of something we have, the better. I really need to watch the Rankin/Bass version one of these days.

Anyway, I rewatched Disney's Sleeping Beauty last night. I'm not sure why, but I have a really hard time getting excited about the movie. Aside from Maleficent's screen presence and the cel backgrounds being gorgeous works of art, there's not a whole lot to get me invested in the story. I think the issue is that the three faries, who sort of function as the movie's main characters (or at least get the most screentime) just aren't that interesting. Their antics and incompetence are amusing at first, but it gets old pretty quickly. And when the third act comes along it's hard to feel any tension since the faries act like a deus ex machinca that get Phillip out of all his predicaments with too much ease. I have plenty of appreciation for Disney's older films, but this one just sort of goes right by me. :shrugs:

I do like George Bruns' adapted score, though, and the Once Upon a Dream scene is absolutely wonderful. You could pretty much pick any screenshot from that song and it would be worth framing to hang on a wall.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

The Babadook. one of the most legitimately terrifying films I've seen in a long time.

Woot! :D

And I saw Birdman today - was really clever I thought and whilst it seemed self-indulgent at times it did so knowingly in a pretty meta way since that whole part of the industry was a large theme of the music. Was also quite enjoyable to watch, lots of nice little bits of humour and industry references scattered throughout without ruining the intensity of the movie itself. Also left me thinking after I left the cinema - probably one of my favourite movies of the past year. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

been working my way through a list of 2014 films that I either wanted to see but missed or that slipped under my radar until recently. last night I watched a film that fell into the latter category, The Guest.

it was a really well-executed 80s-homage thriller that was intense without taking itself too seriously. some elements of the plot felt a bit too familiar and a couple of the twists were fairly predictable, but it was such a blast to watch that it was difficult to really care about any of that. it really was a genre film, a straight-up throwback to retro thriller, action, and horror movies. it felt sort of like a combination of The Stepfather and The Terminator.

David Andersen Collins may also be one of my favorite characters from any 2014 film I've seen, and that's due in no small part to actor Dan Stevens' performance, which struck the perfect balance between cool and creepy.

overall, it may not objectively be one of 2014's best films, but it was definitely one of the most enjoyable and possibly one of my favorites that I've seen.

as a side-note, the soundtrack was awesome as well. lots of 80s and 80s-influenced electronic, new wave, and gothic music from artists like Clan of Xymox, The Sisters of Mercy, and Perturbator. an awesome selection of artists that was really incorporated well into the film, too.

Edited by Ryuujin

Finally got around to watching Infernal Affairs II, after getting it and III on DVD.

Infernal Affairs is the kind of movie that's very much a self-contained story without leaving much room for continuing it, so I was a bit wary of the sequels, but II ended up being great. Since the original film provided pretty much total closure to the story, this one is a prequel, and it's really good at that. It fleshes out the world and characters very well, adding a lot of background to it. Even though if you've seen the first film you'll know exactly where the characters will end up by the end of this one, it still manages to be interesting, and at times thrilling. And of course it carries all the excellent scripting and cinematography of the original with it.

The only thing missing is the charm of Tony Leung, but he comes back in the third film which I'll probably watch tomorrow.

Edited by Ghost of Romance

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The very last movie I seen, I think it was a movie anyway, was a story about Harry Houdini. I did a report on him once in forth grade. So thought I'd watch it and see how it looked. 

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Infernal Affairs III

A really satisfying, yet melancholy end to the trilogy. It has two stories running parallel to each other, one set before the first film and one after, but they are very much intertwined. It actually allows for some excellent scenes, like when you see a bit of a surreal shot of both the past Yan and the present Lau sitting in the same psychiatrist's office, drawing parallels between the two characters.

Again, it carries on the excellent scripting and cinematography of the first two films. Lau's side of the story also adds some interesting psychological drama elements, with how he tries to cope with the events of the first film.

I should have definitely watched II and III sooner, as they really are excellent prequels/sequels which add a lot to the fantastic original.

Edited by Ghost of Romance

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension. This movie is weird as Kharz, I tell you what. O_o

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Well I'd have to say Smokey and the Bandit as I am currently still watching the second and it is not over thus "watched". They are at the part were "Frog" leaves Bandit because of the support net idea for the elephant.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Has anyone seen Buckaroo Banzai? I am mostly lost in this movie... Main things i am getting is that there is a hidden dimension in between atoms, there are (badly) costumed aliens that give formulas via bioelectric communication and shoot bullets from there tongues, everyone has stupid names (Buckaroo Banzai, John Whorefin, John Lizardo, John Small Berries, John Bigboote, New Jersey, etc.), the planet is in threat by alien silver jacket wearing Jamaicans from 'Planet Ten' that will start WW3 if this 'Banzai' does not stop this 'alien Hitler', humans are called 'monkey boys',  a mad scientist that changes accents every scene he is in and is fond of torturing people by surging lightning bolts to peoples groins, and a literally random woman and a child is tagging along with him. Why Jeff Goldblum agreed to be in this is beyond me.

I feel like this movie was made for high people. :lol:

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light