The Movie You Saw Last

Watched all four Bionicle movies again to see how they hold up after all these years. My perspective has definitely changed a lot.

Mask of Light: I actually found this one to be terrible. The Toa were portrayed as incompetent, Kopaka excepted (though his competence was far exaggerated), Onua was completely mischaracterized, and the negative aspects of Tahu were exemplified three times over, with the positive aspects basically nonexistent. Pohatu was basically a handcuffing machine, though thankfully his personality was done right. The Rahkshi designs were atrocious. Jaller and Takua's voices were horrible. Takutanuva's design was also an abomination.

I liked the 2003 story, but the movie's portrayal of it was a total scrapfest. Ironically, this used to be my second favorite of the bunch.

Legends of Metru Nui: Once my favorite, this movie has fallen to second place after this viewing. The story was, of course, excellent, but the fact that the Toa were portrayed without their elemental powers until the very end bugged me. That confusing scene with Makuta talking to himself also took a few points off. Krekka, Nivawk, and the Vahki were dreadfully designed, with Krekka as the biggest offender. The climactic battle with Makuta and the storyline weight in this movie raise it up, in my opinion, from meh to good.

Web of Shadows: This one used to be my least favorite...and now is my most favorite. Character designs were done fairly well all around, something I can't say for the first two. Whenua's cheesy line, naturally, was a bit strange, but it wasn't bad in and of itself. It's just the way he delivered it that was horrible. This movie did finally nail the proper tone in most areas though. It had the right degree of seriousness. Matau's lines were also great. Vakama's defection was definitely forced, but it was still believable, all things considered. The voice acting, Whenua excepted, was also good in this one. The new music they added was a pleasure to listen to, especially mixed with LoMN's already excellent musical themes.

The sheer amount of points I give it for tone raised it up pretty high.

The Legend Reborn: Well, I can say one thing for sure: designs are spot on perfect. Animation and design are where this movie really scores. Voice acting was hit and miss, but generally believable as long as the one in question isn't one of the Agori from the crowds. The movie was interesting at some parts and bland at others. The final battle was a total mess, with Tuma being far too stupid. The Skrall, even more so. At no point in the movie was it believable that they had a record of winning arena matches. Worse still, they never had any lines other than high pitched squeals and grunts more suited for Zesk or Vorox. Even if they had never spoken words, it would have been fine with me if they had low pitched roars and grunts, and at least beat out the Glatorian/Toa in physical strength. They could still have shown them winning the battle as they did with their elemental powers. Also, the delivery of their line, "For Unity" was worse than Whenua's "Cause that's what friends do!"

Still managed to top Mask of Light's atrocities for me though. So I give it third place.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Just watched BIONICLE 2 and 3 as well, and they're about the same as I remember it. Nuju and Whenua's voice actors still bug me, but the movies overall were okay, I guess. I still find the way they did the Toa Hordika's arms...odd. I don't think the hand piece is supposed to be an elbow.:P Even when they animate as such, it still looks like their hand.

Edited by Vakama-san
  • Upvote 1

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Watched all four Bionicle movies again to see how they hold up after all these years. My perspective has definitely changed a lot.

Mask of Light: I actually found this one to be terrible. The Toa were portrayed as incompetent, Kopaka excepted (though his competence was far exaggerated), Onua was completely mischaracterized, and the negative aspects of Tahu were exemplified three times over, with the positive aspects basically nonexistent. Pohatu was basically a handcuffing machine, though thankfully his personality was done right. The Rahkshi designs were atrocious. Jaller and Takua's voices were horrible. Takutanuva's design was also an abomination.

I liked the 2003 story, but the movie's portrayal of it was a total scrapfest. Ironically, this used to be my second favorite of the bunch.

Legends of Metru Nui: Once my favorite, this movie has fallen to second place after this viewing. The story was, of course, excellent, but the fact that the Toa were portrayed without their elemental powers until the very end bugged me. That confusing scene with Makuta talking to himself also took a few points off. Krekka, Nivawk, and the Vahki were dreadfully designed, with Krekka as the biggest offender. The climactic battle with Makuta and the storyline weight in this movie raise it up, in my opinion, from meh to good.

Web of Shadows: This one used to be my least favorite...and now is my most favorite. Character designs were done fairly well all around, something I can't say for the first two. Whenua's cheesy line, naturally, was a bit strange, but it wasn't bad in and of itself. It's just the way he delivered it that was horrible. This movie did finally nail the proper tone in most areas though. It had the right degree of seriousness. Matau's lines were also great. Vakama's defection was definitely forced, but it was still believable, all things considered. 

The Legend Reborn: Well, I can say one thing for sure: designs are spot on perfect. Animation and design are where this movie really scores. Voice acting was hit and miss, but generally believable as long as the one in question isn't one of the Agori from the crowds. The movie was interesting at some parts and bland at others. The final battle was a total mess, with Tuma being far too stupid. The Skrall, even more so. At no point in the movie was it believable that they had a record of winning arena matches. Worse still, they never had any lines other than high pitched squeals and grunts more suited for Zesk or Vorox. Even if they had never spoken words, it would have been fine with me if they had low pitched roars and grunts, and at least beat out the Glatorian/Toa in physical strength. They could still have shown them winning the battle as they did with their elemental powers. 

I agree with most of what you said. I never noticed that the Toa didn't use their abilities in 2. With TLR, I prefer the high shriek for the Vorox and I wish the Skrall didn't sound like gorillas, and wish they actually talked. I also wish they had Gelu and Malum, along with actual Thornax. The Kendox would also have been cool. I also wish they had Sahmad. With the Mata Nui robot, I wish they had the Toa Nuva in there. For 2, I wish Lhikan had a flashback with Toa Nhidiki and Tuyet.

for 3, I also wish they had a larger showdown scene.

• Upvote 1

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Lara Croft, Tomb Raider. It's everything that you'd expect from a stereotypical American movie: guns, explosions, fanservice, and a story with countless opportunities for needless action scenes. I wouldn't say it was awful, per say, but it wasn't very good either.

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

The LEGO Movie (again). I really started noticing a lot of parallels to the Toa Metru (of course, both teams are composed of common tropes). Emmet = Vakama, Wyldstyle = Nokama, Benny = Matau, MetalBeard = Onewa.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

The new Godzilla movie. And I found it okay. Before that I watched Meet Bill, a great movie

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

My Blueberry Nights.

It's patchy, although I still enjoyed it quite a lot. It's interesting to see Wong Kar-Wai apply his style to a western audience, but I don't think it works out too well. It kinda feels like a watered down version of some of his older films.

It's not even close to reaching the heights of his past films like the 2046 trilogy, but then again, not many films are. An okay Wong Kar-Wai film is still a worthwhile and enjoyable watch, and if nothing else it still often looks gorgeous,

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Web of Shadows: This one used to be my least favorite...and now is my most favorite. Character designs were done fairly well all around, something I can't say for the first two. Whenua's cheesy line, naturally, was a bit strange, but it wasn't bad in and of itself. It's just the way he delivered it that was horrible. This movie did finally nail the proper tone in most areas though. It had the right degree of seriousness. Matau's lines were also great. Vakama's defection was definitely forced, but it was still believable, all things considered. The voice acting, Whenua excepted, was also good in this one. The new music they added was a pleasure to listen to, especially mixed with LoMN's already excellent musical themes.

The sheer amount of points I give it for tone raised it up pretty high.

The Legend Reborn: Well, I can say one thing for sure: designs are spot on perfect. Animation and design are where this movie really scores. Voice acting was hit and miss, but generally believable as long as the one in question isn't one of the Agori from the crowds. The movie was interesting at some parts and bland at others. The final battle was a total mess, with Tuma being far too stupid. The Skrall, even more so. At no point in the movie was it believable that they had a record of winning arena matches. Worse still, they never had any lines other than high pitched squeals and grunts more suited for Zesk or Vorox. Even if they had never spoken words, it would have been fine with me if they had low pitched roars and grunts, and at least beat out the Glatorian/Toa in physical strength. They could still have shown them winning the battle as they did with their elemental powers. Also, the delivery of their line, "For Unity" was worse than Whenua's "Cause that's what friends do!"

Still managed to top Mask of Light's atrocities for me though. So I give it third place.

lol this is basically like me, my favorite used to be LOMN when i was alot younger but now it has to be WoS, its just a brilliant movie and would have been amazing if they continued this into 2006 but they didnt :( 

But anyway the last movie I watched now was Ferris Bueller's Day Off, one of my favorite movies of all time, such a great movie with hilarious characters and scenes, heres one of my favorite lines: "life moves pretty fast, if you dont stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it"

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

A Clockwork Orange. Well, it lived up to its reputation, for sure.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Son of Batman.  Pretty good, for a direct-to-DVD animated film released only 4 months after the latest one one the series.  Deathstroke was awesome as usual, Damian was pretty cool, and I honestly think the new voice actor of Batman is better than Kevin Conroy.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

Saw Maleficent and The Judge, both for the first time, in quick succession (like two days apart).

Maleficent was alright. The cast overall was pretty good. Angelina Jolie was excellent, and Sam Riley (Diaval, the raven) did pretty good too. Elle Fanning was alright. No one else really stood out. I honestly expected more from Sharlto Copley (King Stefan). Visuals were pretty good. The scenes of Maleficent flying were nice, as were most of the magic creatures (especially the tree warriors). The three fairies (when small and animated) were atrocious though. The final battle, on the other hand, was visually fantastic. As far as plot, I kinda wish they had gone a different direction, but they did fine with the direction they chose. I would have liked to see this as a straight-up prequel, exploring Maleficent's backstory and reasons for being evil in greater detail, and ending right before or after her applying the curse.

The Judge was excellent! I was happy to see that RDJ can pull off a role that isn't Tony Stark. The whole cast did pretty good. Robert Duvall was great, and Vera Farmiga and Billy Bob Thornton were nice additions (even if BBT's character was essentially BBT). The plot was solid, the conflicts believable, and the relationships between RDJ and the other characters nice. Cinematography was great too. All-around solid film.

Dune, directed by David Lynch.

That was both one of the best and worst movies I have ever seen. Like, when it works, does it work. When it flails around, it... doesn't. I honestly think it'd probably be much more fondly remembered outside of its cult fanbase if it was either longer, or split into two-three movies.

hElbrZ6.gif

Fury just yesterday. It was pretty good; brilliant performances from Logan Lerman, Brad Pitt, and... suprisingly, Shia Labeouf! I recommend it if you're a fan of war films.

Oh yeah, I've really been wanting to see that one. It and Unbroken.

The other day my college's Cosplay Association had a movie night were we watched "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra", a hilariously awful parody of 1950s b-movies. A "so bad it's good" kind of thing.

Fury just yesterday. It was pretty good; brilliant performances from Logan Lerman, Brad Pitt, and... suprisingly, Shia Labeouf! I recommend it if you're a fan of war films.

I'll probably get laughed out of the topic for saying this, but I don't think Shia Labeouf has ever really been a bad actor. Some of his projects are of questionable quality, but even in the Transformers films I found him pretty enjoyable. And I quite liked him in Indiana Jones even if his character was misused.

Anyway, the last movie I watched was Trollhunter. Not being Norwegian I think most of the cultural references and humor went completely over my head, but it was still worth watching, if only to see the natural beauty of Norway.

• Upvote 1
BZPRPG

I'll probably get laughed out of the topic for saying this, but I don't think Shia Labeouf has ever really been a bad actor. Some of his projects are of questionable quality, but even in the Transformers films I found him pretty enjoyable. And I quite liked him in Indiana Jones even if his character was misused.

Anyway, the last movie I watched was Trollhunter. Not being Norwegian I think most of the cultural references and humor went completely over my head, but it was still worth watching, if only to see the natural beauty of Norway.

I never minded him before; he wasn't terrible; he was just unremarkable. I never really felt like he was giving a truly inspired performance, whereas with Fury I thought he did just that.

• 2 weeks later...

In the theater, I saw Interstellar and Big Hero 6 this weekend.  I'll get to those later, at home I last saw The Nightmare Before Christmas (for the first time) on Halloween.  I didn't see all of it, as I was very sugar-high at the time (yes, I still go trick-or-treating (I will rob all thought of my maturity from everyone's minds)), and I was also playing on an arcade cabinet with my friends.  However, from what I saw, it was very good.

Big Hero 6 is definitely one of Disney's best since Wreck-it-Ralph.  The characters and action were fantastic.  The story, while not too original, keeps you interested all the way throughout.The humor really stuck and I am continuously tempted to say "balalala" after doing a fist bump.  Baymax was amazing as a character, but that's not surprising to people that really know me, as I've always loved robots in movies.  Probably why i'm really excited for CHAPPiE.  The animation was gorgeous, really making the city feel alive, and I can't wait to see what easter eggs have been hidden in this treasure trove.  Of course, the twists were obvious, as with most animated films.  Overall, I give it an 8/10.

Interstellar is, in my opinion, one of Nolan's best movies.  The acting was superb, not that any less was expected from the likes of Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway.  Like Big Hero 6, it looked amazing.  The plot was intricate and incredible, like Nolan's other works.  When Nolan says he takes inspiration from 2001, he's not kidding around.  It blew my mind many times and the twists are amazing.  It really explores themes as of humanity's future in the universe.  I don't have much more time, so I'll just give it a 10/10.

Overall, a pretty good weekend for films.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

Big Hero 6 is definitely one of Disney's best since Wreck-it-Ralph.

Disney's best since... two films ago? :P

I also saw Big Hero 6 last, and can't say I was too impressed. Disney was given permission by Marvel to do whatever they wanted with their comic, and they turned it into a typical origin story. That probably would have passed about five years ago, but with comic book movies as ubiquitous as they are now I was expecting something that would make it stand out more. They did sort of make the movie about Hiro trying to get over his grief, but it felt more like the B-plot, with the comic book elements taking center stage and driving the movie forward.

In spite of that I still thought it was passable entertainment, and I certainly don't regret watching it. It had memorable characters and great action, but I just wish they hadn't used such a tired formula for the writing.

BZPRPG

Saw Fury and Big Hero 6 on the same day, both were good.

Big Hero Six: I was honestly surprised, and can say It's my second favorite Marvel film this year. While it had a number of clichés, I found them easy to overlook. It was the funniest Disney film I've seen in a while (Superior to Wreck-It-Ralph in that regard) and it had a cast of enjoyable characters. I didn't take it seriously, but it was an hour not wasted. 8/10

Fury: A pretty good, and honestly unrelenting film. The actors were excellent, and it really captured the little terrors of being trapped inside a mass-produced steel box on treads. And also, it rather much restored my faith in Shia LaBeuof as a decent actor. 9/10.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur