The Movie You Saw Last

Predator. Didn't love it.

Tonight or tomorrow I will watch Blade Runner.

I've got Predator in 3D, it's a nice remaster. But the film is a bit slow. Arnold is honestly the best part of it, lol. 

Last thing I watched was Prometheus 3D with my best friend. We'd watched all the Alien movies prior to that. Alien: Resurrection is forgettable. Enjoyable, but definitely not necessary. Alien 3 feels like the perfect ending to the series.

• 3 weeks later...

The complete Star Wars saga, ​Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Mulan, Corpse Bride, The Hunger Games, Aladdin, Monsters University, Hocus Pocus, How to Train Your Dragon, and How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Jurassic World.

it was pretty much what I expected, which was a big dumb monster movie with laughable effects and no effort in the way of scientific accuracy whatsoever like the rest of the franchise. what I didn't expect was how dull it would be. it was predictable and even as far as summer blockbuster popcorn flicks go, I think I'd rather watch something like Transformers. at least that doesn't take itself so seriously and you can laugh at how bad it is. this was just bland.

• Upvote 1

i decided to watch age of ultron again yesterday, because i had forgotten what it was like for the most part b/c i hadnt seen it since it came out in theaters. but now i remember why i forgot most of it. it just. wasnt really that good at all? it killed some of my hype for future mcu movies, leaving my enjoyment peaking with gotg

i havent seen ant-man yet. so idk how that is.

Edited by Alphys

bionicle is trans culture

Man With The Iron Fists and Shaolin.

First was ridiculously epic, I even laughed a couple times and I could only say, "WHAT??". My time was well spent here.

Second was a classic story of redemption: bad man does evil things, and while in the middle of betraying someone he himself gets betrayed. He ends up at a Shaolin Monk temple he attacked previously and finds redemption. He later fights his treacherous blood-brother in a battle between good and evil. Oh, and you also have 'the evil white man foreigners' randomly in the middle of it all so there is that. Jackie Chan served as a great comedy relief along with some monks in the middle of this drama-heavy plot. I liked this movie.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

On DVD: Under the North Star.

I watched it with subtitles, and it was a very interesting, though hard to watch at times, war film,.

In theaters: Kätilö

This one was without subtitles, mainly saw it because it was advertised by my bus stop. So I mainly guessed the plot from what little I understood, gestures, and took a more hefty approach to the sound effects than usual. The weapons in the film sound like actual weapons, compared to air soft weapons with sound added in later. And given my limited experience in the Finnish war films, I would say it was alright, at least a 7/10 film that I would gladly watch again. Just with subtitles.

Soon to come: Star Wars 7.

had a bit of a vampire double feature of sorts by watching Låt den rätte komma in (english: Let the Right One In) and Only Lovers Left Alive back to back the other night. both were excellent films with somewhat similar takes on vampirism (not the Twilight sort, mind you, nor the popular movie-monster-type, either - more of a tragic, realistic take on it) but very distinct in tone. goes to show that you can still tackle vampires in a film in an original and tasteful manner without sinking into the borderline self-parody that popular culture treats the subject with now.

I don't want to say too much about the plots for fear of spoiling the experience for anyone but I will say that of the two, Let the Right One In was probably my favorite by a small margin. it's an absolutely dark and hauntingly atmospheric film that's simultaneously horrifying, tragic, and beautiful. 

one note though: if you watch it, avoid the North American subtitled version at all cost. I started watching that one, noticed that the dialogue seemed very dumbed-down, did some research, and then switched to the UK subtitled version. apparently the North American version had all-new subtitles that were poorly translated and oversimplified, while the UK release retains the original theatrical subtitles which are vastly superior and more accurate. I've heard good things about the English dubbed version as well, so that might be the one to watch.

there was a Hollywood remake of Let the Right One In, titled Let Me In, a few years back. I haven't seen it but from what I've heard, it was good but inferior. I honestly can't imagine any way they could've matched or improved upon the original.

Edited by Scythey
  • Upvote 1

one note though: if you watch it, avoid the North American subtitled version at all cost. I started watching that one, noticed that the dialogue seemed very dumbed-down, did some research, and then switched to the UK subtitled version. apparently the North American version had all-new subtitles that were poorly translated and oversimplified, while the UK release retains the original theatrical subtitles which are vastly superior and more accurate. I've heard good things about the English dubbed version as well, so that might be the one to watch.

Interesting. I watched whatever version was on US Netflix, couldn't tell you which one, and still loved the movie. I certainly didn't notice any dumbed down dialogue. But I am intrigued by this UK-English sub you mention.

Probably wouldn't watch a dub.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Interesting. I watched whatever version was on US Netflix, couldn't tell you which one, and still loved the movie. I certainly didn't notice any dumbed down dialogue. But I am intrigued by this UK-English sub you mention.

Probably wouldn't watch a dub.

whatever's on Netflix is probably the version with the original theatrical subtitles that was released in the UK. apparently enough people complained about the subs on the initial North American release that all North American copies since have been changed to include the theatrical subs instead. I assume that's also what they'd use on various streaming platforms.

I don't watch dubs either, but I know a lot of people don't like reading subtitles, so I figured I'd mention it anyway.

The Matrix. All of them. Got this sweet 10 disc boxset last year to finally upgrade from my VHS copies, and thought that maybe it was time to justify that purchase and rewatch the films.

The Matrix - Not much to be said here. An absolute cyberpunk classic, and one of my personal favourite films. There was a time when it was tied for my absolute favourite, but these days it's more around the 5th or 6th spot. It still holds up incredibly well and is as worth watching as it ever was.

The Matrix Reloaded - I don't care what the popular opinion is, I bloody love this one too. The aesthetic and visuals are great, and the action scenes are really enjoyable. The best part though is all those pretentious and needlessly convoluted philosophical discussions, which I just love. Yeah okay, the whole underground rave scene is pretty ridiculous, but it also inspired part of a song from Devin Townsend's Deconstruction, which is one of my favourite albums, so I'm willing to let it slide.

The Matrix Revolutions - Yeah, okay, this one's not very good and is by far the worst of the trilogy. It's drawn out like crazy, and the plot goes down a spiral of convoluted nonsense. The final fight scene was definitely a pretty spectacle, but it doesn't make the rest of the film worth it.

The Animatrix - This one I actually haven't seen before, although I've been meaning to for years. It's a collection of nine animated short films set in the Matrix universe, all telling their own stories. Really enjoyed it for the most part, with the exception of the last film, Matriculated, which I didn't think was very good. The rest of them were pretty great though, my favourite probably being both parts of The Second Renaissance, which shows how the Matrix world ended up as we know it, with humanity in its greed and arrogance waging war against the machines. Beyond and A Detective Story were also really nice. The soundtrack was brilliant as well, as it was for the main trilogy too for that matter.

Edited by Emilie Autumn

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

2001: A Space Odyssey. 

Part 1: Almost fell asleep in beginning, but the plots starts off nice and it lays the groundwork for HAL's takeover.

Part 2: HAL's spiral into madness. A very interesting and gripping section; best part of movie.

Part 3: Trippy to the extreme. So many drugs were involved here.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2"

I did like this movie and thought it was good overall; my major problem with it (and why I'm reluctant to bestow it with awards like, "best 'Hunger Games' movie" or "best movie of the year"), has to do with the ending and the tone, neither of which I'll get into here. 

My other major problem with it, is the fact that if I ever want to revisit this good movie I first have to get through an hour fifty of build-up ("Mockingjay Part 1") before I can have two and a half hours of pay off. 

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear. This series is so goofy and I love it.

I also finally watched Blade Runner recently, and it was just fantastic. Definitely something I'd like to rewatch in the future, that Ridley Scott really knows how to direct.

IetTsFQ.png

I watched through the Original Star Wars Trilogy, and enjoyed it so much. I wanna watch it again.

I also tried to get through Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith, but got bored halfway through each and didn't finish...I really don't like the CG environments and fully CG characters in the prequels.

IetTsFQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Saw The Force Awakens twice and The Hateful Eight once during the holidays.

The latter was very reminiscent of Reservoir Dogs in a few ways; thankfully, I found that it added to the film versus detracting from it. I'm also not certain it was intentional so much as a natural side-effect of Tarantino staging another film within a single room with a small group of characters who all hate each other.