• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Movie You Saw Last

it exists now... movie last list film

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,537 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 05 2013 - 09:54 PM

Last movie I saw was Kung Fu Hustle which was two nights ago. Pretty funny movie for almost all the action being CGI while the rest is live-action.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#122 Offline Valenti

Valenti
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • Senior Staff

• 4,662 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Nov 05 2013 - 11:15 PM

Man of Steel

It was very nice...

~Everypony wants to rule the world.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

topdowndiscovery3.jpg

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

~My Little Pony~ ~Mass Effect~

#123 Offline hachiroku

hachiroku
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 57 posts

Posted Nov 05 2013 - 11:15 PM

Big Stan with Rob Schneider. He was a real estate agent and was convicted of fraud and was sent to prison for 3 years. Very hilarious and funny movie I may say.

10640418814_ff945700dc_o.jpg

#124 Offline Krana Za

Krana Za
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 2 posts

Posted Nov 08 2013 - 01:58 AM

Saving Private Ryan. It's a great movie.

#125 Offline Elric of Melnibone

Elric of Melnibone
  • Members
  • Toa

• 147 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 08 2013 - 04:14 PM

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy.

Great watch, even if it's four hour running time (excluding the metric ton of special features, such as extended interviews and small features on things like Freddy's glove) is a bit much for some people. Well worth checking out, if you ask me.

hElbrZ6.gif

#126 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Nov 08 2013 - 09:43 PM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Olympus Has Fallen. Definitely a very entertaining movie, for me. Yeah, there were quite a few plot holes and various other things wrong with it, but overall I still definitely enjoyed it. Probably because it was exactly what I expected--a fast-paced, action-packed, suspenseful movie. And that's exactly what I got. It's kinda sad that a lot of the bigger issues with the plot could have been avoided extremely easily, though. For example, the whole Cerberus plot-line was, essentially, quite unneeded at all, really--take it away and the movie wouldn't be much different, as long as a couple other things were heightened/expanded. The suspense and the stakes were high enough without it (especially if they made a bigger deal out of removing their troops/moving the fleet, which they should have), and the payoff from that was ultimately a let-down. [/color][/font] [font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Probably the biggest thing I was disappointed with, though, was that it wasn't the movie adaptation of Transfer of Power, by Vince Flynn, even though the plot was very similar in many ways. It's kind of funny, too, because Antoine Fuqua was originally signed on to direct the first Vince Flynn movie, Consent to Kill (now cancelled; the first movie is going to be American Assassin and directed by Jeffrey Nachmanoff), and Gerard Butler was at one point considered for the lead role of Mitch Rapp. Similar character, similar plot, and the director was at one point going to make a Vince Flynn movie. It's just a shame it wasn't simply a novel adaptation, as I liked that plot more, too. Ah well.[/color][/font]

Edited by Velox, Dec 01 2013 - 03:28 AM.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

winter.jpg

#127 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 435 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 11 2013 - 06:22 PM

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Why, why did Netflix classify this as a comedy?

So many feels.

Gatekeeper42.png

Look at me, much gamer, so PlayStation, very achieve

#128 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Nov 11 2013 - 07:16 PM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Extended Edition ([/color][color=#000080;]review/commentary here[/color][color=#000080;]). Watched it twice over the weekend--really a great film. Can't wait for Desolation of Smaug.[/color][/font]

Edited by Velox, Dec 01 2013 - 03:28 AM.

winter.jpg

#129 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 11 2013 - 09:36 PM

Captain Phillips. I really enjoyed it - the movie was incredibly intense, and the tension was pulled off perfectly.

quetzalbanner01.jpg

#130 Offline Terminus

Terminus
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 428 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 13 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thor: The Dark World

I didn't like it as much as the first, mainly because I though it was just too funny throughout the entire movie. Still, It was enjoyable, and I'm going to see it again tomorrow, this time with my family.

gallery_60140_160_32168.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4811-7119-1466 / PSN ID: khsora546 / Steam: terminus2495 / Nintendo Network: Terminus2495 / PM Me to add me
Currently Playing: ~ Muramasa Rebirth ~ Hyperdimension Neptunia V ~ Watch Dogs ~ Infamous: Second Son ~

My Anime List ~ My PSN Profile

#131 Offline BZCoolness

BZCoolness
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,071 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 19 2013 - 11:39 PM

Ender's Game. 

I've read the book before and I think the movie did a very good job portraying it.

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

#132 Offline Valenti

Valenti
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • Senior Staff

• 4,662 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Nov 19 2013 - 11:44 PM

Thor

I liked it. ^_^

~Everypony wants to rule the world.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

topdowndiscovery3.jpg

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

~My Little Pony~ ~Mass Effect~

#133 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,537 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 19 2013 - 11:57 PM

Despicable Me 2. Still funny as the first one.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#134 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,871 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 21 2013 - 12:54 AM

Ruby Sparks- A movie about a writer who has such a vivid imagination, that the girlfriend character he was writing pops itself into reality. Shenanigans ensue. I feel like the screenplay didn't really explore the movie's themes deeply enough, and it has an especially problematic ending. Not only was it kind of insulting, but there's really no indication or evidence that the main character learned anything from his strange encounter with the title woman. Certainly not a bad film, and in some ways important, but it could have been so much more.

Snow Angels- This had less of a plot and was more of an exploration of relationships told through the intertwining stories of three couples: A divorced mother and father, their son falling in love with a classmate, and that son's ex babysitter's turbulent relationship with her husband. While I think it was a really interesting series of vignettes (even if one or two of them went fairly undeveloped), I'm not sure what I was supposed to pull from the film. That failing relationships are worth fighting for? Except that's definitely not what it's about. The best I can come up with is that it's trying to tell me that relationships are not easy, and that what starts off nice won't last unless you work at it.

Next up: The Master and The Dark Knight Rises.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#135 Offline Legolover-361

Legolover-361
  • Members
  • Stellar Storyteller

• 3,495 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 02:42 PM

Gravity. I saw it with a friend today (and actually went to a theater for the first time in at least months), and it definitely met my expectations. I really enjoyed its plot, but its cinematography is beautiful.

#136 Offline Wazdakka

Wazdakka
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 444 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 02:54 PM

The Legend Reborn. After four years, I've finally seen it.

I loved it. 

Steam Name: Toa Onua - always ready for TF2 or a good chat.Xbox Live Gamertag: PluggedSky51173 - Halo 4 for (4) the win!Minecraft Username: ThePoohster - sometimes play on T9K.Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko set), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Black, White, and Grey Krana, Heat Vision, Sonic, Fire Resistance, Power Scream, and Shadow Kraata, Axonn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

#137 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 27 2013 - 08:59 PM

Thor: The Dark World. It was, unsurprisingly, awesome. The best part was

Spoiler

quetzalbanner01.jpg

#138 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,035 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 27 2013 - 10:24 PM

Just saw Catching Fire because a friend of mine got tickets from her friends. Outside of the theatres, it was An Adventure In Space And Time, or V For Vendetta.

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#139 Offline Toa Onaku

Toa Onaku
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 830 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 28 2013 - 03:53 AM

I don't really remember, but I think it was Thor: The Dark World

Character(s) for BZPRPG

Steal the mask 2                      

First unread post             

#140 Offline Legolover-361

Legolover-361
  • Members
  • Stellar Storyteller

• 3,495 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 30 2013 - 12:04 AM

In honor of my eighteenth birthday, I watched Saw with a friend. I'm ambivalent toward the acting, but the plot is great.

#141 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,537 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 30 2013 - 12:40 AM

Finally saw The Wolverine. It was epic but I'm wondering how the sticks got back up after she put them down the first time.

BZPRPG Profiles

#142 Offline Timelady Gallade

Timelady Gallade
  • Members
  • Toa

• 129 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 30 2013 - 02:32 AM

Hunger Games. At school. Everyone jumped when the wolf thingys ate thaht one dude. o.O

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

#143 Offline Sir Voltex the Blue

Sir Voltex the Blue
  • Premier Member
  • The Storyteller

• 4,369 posts

Posted Nov 30 2013 - 08:16 PM

Just re-watched Spaceballs again. I will never tire of that movie.

book_1_logo_super_small.jpg

^Click to read!^

INTERLUDE

A heist in BZ-Koro goes precisely as scheduled.

#144 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Dec 01 2013 - 03:27 AM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]^Love that movie. Definitely one of my favorite Comedy films (up there with The Princess Bride, The Court Jester, etc.).[/color][/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Anyway, just watched Star Trek Into Darkness tonight for the first time after purchasing it from Amazon. Great film--Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing, as expected. [/color][/font]

winter.jpg

#145 Offline Sir Voltex the Blue

Sir Voltex the Blue
  • Premier Member
  • The Storyteller

• 4,369 posts

Posted Dec 01 2013 - 11:57 AM

At last I have seen The Butterfly Effect; I've been trying to have both the time and the film in my possession at once since 2010 to no avail until now. While it isn't the greatest film ever by any means, it was certainly worth the wait. Very tense, and the outcomes of the main character's actions were very interesting to see.

^Click to read!^

INTERLUDE

#146 Offline Ghabulous Ghoti

Ghabulous Ghoti
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 765 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 01 2013 - 01:38 PM

I finally got around to seeing the first Ace Ventura movie. It was pretty darn good, but I liked the second one a bit better.

But a few hours before that, I saw Sharknado. Best. Movie. Ever.

GhotiH.png

Add me on Steam: Ghabulous Ghoti ------------------------------- Add me on Nintendo Network/Playstation Network: GhotiH ------------------------------- Add me on 3DS: 1461-6196-0520

Just be sure to tell me that you've added me!

Competitive Smash Bros. player! Message me to discuss strategies!

#147 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,537 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 02 2013 - 01:41 AM

Saw The Lone Ranger. Trying to figure out how it got nad ratings. It was pretty good.

BZPRPG Profiles

#148 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 435 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 05 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Best movie from the 1980's, bar none.

Gatekeeper42.png

Look at me, much gamer, so PlayStation, very achieve

#149 Offline BobaFett2

BobaFett2
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 244 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 05 2013 - 11:57 AM

The Dark Knight, for the first time. Now I have to see them all.

Edited by BobaFett2, Dec 05 2013 - 11:57 AM.

The Legend Lives...

#150 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,871 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 06 2013 - 06:02 PM

The Dark Knight Rises - When the movie opened with the unbelievably tired 'villain plans to get captured' trope, I figured I was going to regret the next two and a half hours. But, as it turned out, it wasn't all that bad. Nolan wisely dispels of a ridiculously overconvoluted plot (like its predecessor) in favor of something relatively simple, allowing the story to focus on Bruce Wayne as a character much like the first movie did. Fans will be disappointed that his Batman persona only shows up for maybe less than forty minutes of screentime, but I found it refreshing. Bruce Wayne is a broken man at the end of the second movie and there's no way they can introduce Batman without focusing on that pain. A wise, if probably unpopular, move for Nolan.

Although, also unlike its predecessors, I found the acting to be completely forgettable from everyone except Anne Hathaway and (of course) Michael Caine. Everyone else just seemed bored. Why that is, I can't say. Christian Bale and Marion Cotillard are both capable actors, and Bane's role was meaty enough that Tom Hardy should have been playing him with some enjoyment. Instead all these characters were just... flat. I have to label Christian Bale here as the worst offender, though, since the movie was supposed to be developing his character and he just didn't bring the script to life the way he should have.

So where do I place this movie in the trilogy? Probably on par with The Dark Knight. And of course Batman Begins is still the best.

On a somewhat related note, one has to feel sorry for Christopher Judge. The man goes from a leading role in a hit sci fi television series to 'Mercenary Security #4' in this movie. Here's hoping he gets a real role sometime in the future.

12 Years a Slave - I don't even know how to begin to write a review here. I just can't put into words how good it was. Sure I can go down a checklist and say it was perfectly acted and directed, beautifully shot and had a screenplay that captured all the emotions of the story without drifting into melodrama… but that just doesn't seem like enough.

If the movie does have flaws, and it really doesn't, it has two. The first is Brad Pitt's presence. While his acting is fine, it just seems strange that he pops in for a quick cameo. And the fact that he's one of the film's producer and the plays a character who ultimately saves the day just makes it kind of weird. The second flaw is, no surprise, Hans Zimmer's score, of which the main theme (basically his entire contribution to the music) is basically just a few notes from his Inception score... or Thin Red Line. It's hard to tell. But, hey, at least he wasn't hitting me over the head with a bass drum (looking at you, Dark Knight Rises). Neither of these things kill the movie in any way shape or form, and are really just me nitpicking.

So yeah. Believe the hype. Amazing movie.

The Master - About a man who, upon returning home from war,  falls in with a quasi religious group/cult/thing. I don't actually know what to call it. While it's kind of a weird movie and it certainly isn't for everyone, I really enjoyed it. And I can't really think of anything else to say so I'll just end it there.

Cloud Atlas - It's hard to ignore just how ambitious this project is. How can a movie relate six completely unrelated stories? How can you make your actors show up in different roles in each story? How can you sell a three hour movie to an audience? After viewing the movie (and the Box Office results), I can't honestly say it completely accomplished its goals. 

I've been looking forward to Cloud Atlas since I watched the six minute trailer last June, (and I stand by my belief that its one of the best trailers ever made, but that's beside my point) so the fact that I was finally able to watch it was thrilling. And, as such, I don't take these criticisms lightly. I have to say that it doesn't quite live up to expectations. Like the book, the stories are tied together with the thinnest of threads. The directors tried to rectify this by casting all the main actors as different characters in each story, and this was definitely a great idea. It's helps connect characters and themes together. The problem is that some of the actors are cast as basically nothing more than cameos in some of the stories, which in some cases completely drowned their significance to the overall story. The other issue is the makeup. I love what they tried to do, and I really appreciate it, but a lot of the makeup just did not look convincing, particularly in the case of the Neo-Seoul segment where they tried to make everyone look Korean. Readers of the book can explain their look away by noting that, in this time, facial surgery was the thing to do yourself, but the movie doesn't give that context. It just looks weird.

So, yeah, as the rottontomatoes summary says, the scope and ambitiousness of the project is impossible to ignore, and one can't help but really like and appreciate what the filmmakers set out to do here. The problem is that they didn't quite accomplish it. I'm torn, though, on wether I want a remake. On one hand, I think there's a lot of potential for a film like this and I'd love to see it fully realized. On the other hand, a remake wouldn't have all the elements that did work for this film, like the music and the actors. So all in all, Cloud Atlas is a mixed bag. Some will appreciate it, some will not. And while I don't think it's a perfect film, I certainly appreciated it.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2, Dec 07 2013 - 11:23 AM.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#151 Offline Kitania

Kitania
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • pretty pretty princess

• 8,417 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Dec 06 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thor 2 and I heavily enjoyed it even though the dark-elf dealio felt a little out of place, but then again I'm not familiar with the comics or anything and hey, I thought the sci-fi space elf idea was pretty cool (and they weren't reskinned vulcans so that's a plus). 

Movie made me want to play my GW2 mesmer so much more, especially after Loki's parts. 

rainbow-flag2.jpgnezumixsion.jpgrainbow-flag2.jpg

#152 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,537 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 11 2013 - 09:16 AM

Saw Catching Fire on Sunday. It was awesome, but I got spoilers since I didn't read the book.

BZPRPG Profiles

#153 Offline Sir Voltex the Blue

Sir Voltex the Blue
  • Premier Member
  • The Storyteller

• 4,369 posts

Posted Dec 12 2013 - 10:40 PM

I got the opportunity to see Frozen last night. Everything good about the reviews was correct; it was an amazing movie and I wish more Disney films could be like it. I just wish there had been one or two more songs.

^Click to read!^

INTERLUDE

#154 Offline Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar Targaryen
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,839 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 12 2013 - 10:42 PM

Ender's Game. Slightly rushed, but good overall.

709px Rob rhaegar winterfell (200x169)

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."

BZPRPG 2013 Profiles

Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Junyaus-Larikon Torchbearer-Jorruk YokinMons Shajs-Senavysh Angavur-Vulunos-Shivada-Sukot urn Voyuk

The Brotherhood of Ak'rei'an

#155 Offline ~JC~

~JC~
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 13 2013 - 01:49 AM

watched the extended cut of the good, the bad, and the ugly. such a great film. easily in my top 3.

tu whit, tu whoo

#156 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,871 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 13 2013 - 08:38 PM

Frozen

Was I looking forward to this movie for a long time? I have no idea, but I can't remember when I wasn't looking forward to it. Anyway:

(There are some minor spoilers in here. I don't really give away any plot details, but I do give away some of the more unexpected elements of the film. If you haven't seen it yet and want to go in 'pure' [like I did], then don't read this.

Spoiler

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2, Feb 03 2014 - 04:52 PM.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#157 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Dec 13 2013 - 11:12 PM

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Ahhhhhhhh.

winter.jpg

#158 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,871 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 27 2013 - 12:42 AM

All these comments contain spoilers to a degree, but none of them are really major so I won't use a spoiler tag. So if you don't want spoilers for the italicized titles... don't read the paragraphs below them.

Dr. Zhivago

David Lean makes the greatest epics of all time and I don't think anyone will ever surpass him in that regard. This movie tells the story of a man caught up in love and romance during the Bolshevik revolution. It was hard for me to appreciate this movie given that my family was distracting me from watching it properly at the time, but it contained the grand music and sweeping cinematography that Lean has made a staple of his films, and I thoroughly enjoyed what I was able to view. I'll definitely watch it again when I have some more personal time.

Wreck it Ralph

I'm not a huge fan of videogames and this movie never really looked like something that would appeal to me. Which is why I'm so glad this movie isn't really about video games. I mean, it is obviously, but it's really not. It dealt with themes of acceptance, of both yourself and of others, that really resonated with me. I do think the film could have benefitted from dropping the romance subplot between two characters we just don't care about, because frankly it didn't add anything to the script. That's a minor nitpick though in a film which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

This film undoubtedly suffers from 'middle movie syndrome' and is pretty much proof that splitting this series into three movies was a really bad idea. But even though some action sequences run too long (and some scenes even run too short) I felt it was a huge improvement on the last installment. I'm still not fond of some of Jackson's adaption choices (Taurial and Kili's thing, Dwarves vs. Smaug) but overall I did enjoy the film and look forward to the next installment. When I stop being lazy and write a more in depth review I'll edit this post (hint: probably won't happen).

Thale

A Norwegian movie about two crime scene cleaners who find a creature-of-Scandinavian-folklore (named Thale) chained up in a house. Shenanigans ensue. One could be forgiven for writing this off as a cheap, low budget, really dumb horror film. I wouldn't blame you because I did the same thing. And while it was definitely cheap (I can't say I've ever seen a cheaper looking film), it was really not that bad. And it wasn't even a horror film really. It contained horror elements, but was more along the lines of an ET-esque fantasy where you have characters from two completely different worlds coming together and interacting. This is supported by the film's music, which was quite beautiful and had much more of a fantastical sound than a horror one. Yes there are moments in the beginning when the characters (and as such the audience) are quite scared of this creature (after all she is initially violent and the creature's caretaker is dead), but that's about where the horror ends. I do think that these moments could have been downplayed in order to elevate the emotion when the characters do start to bond, but I can't fault the writer/director for wanting to place us in the character's shoes.

Where the film really falls short is in the third act. A few villains are introduced, but they're out of the blue. They're random. We don't know their motivation and we really have no idea who they even are. This again places us in the same boat as the characters, but this only works up to a point, and that point is reached when the audience can't figure out what is going on. And, quite frankly, I couldn't figure out what was going on. To me the villains were no better than pieces of cardboard used to show the audience what Thale is really capable of, and the fact that these scenes (or at least the previous scenes- I can't remember) where accompanied by a sloppy expositional voiceover didn't help much.

I'm not sure how I would fix this movie. Obviously it needed a bigger budget. The acting and CGI effects were surprisingly decent (for a $10,000 flick), but the camerawork was absolutely shoddy. But, really, it needs a script rewrite. I think instead of having a random human organization as the villain, the film should have included the creature's "family" as villains. This way there's tension throughout about what this family will do about these human characters, and there's still lots of room for the bonding element that was the core of the film. So while this wasn't a great film, it could have easily been a lot worse. And it does have some redeeming elements. Although according to an internet review aggregate website I am in the minority here, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2, Dec 27 2013 - 11:54 AM.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#159 Offline Sir Voltex the Blue

Sir Voltex the Blue
  • Premier Member
  • The Storyteller

• 4,369 posts

Posted Dec 27 2013 - 10:54 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street

Pretty good film, would definitely recommend

^Click to read!^

INTERLUDE

#160 Offline Norik Of Celtania

Norik Of Celtania
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,924 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2013 - 04:48 AM

In-theatre: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Amazing.

Donny Darko. Probably one of the most confusing movies I've ever watched...

Well, if you do a little online research it sorts make a little sense. Essentially, something is displaced into an alternate timeline, and Mr. Darko has to return it. Physics bends to his will, and when said object returns, he gets killed by the aforementioned something.

MTG Dual Colour

http://www.bzpower.c...c=9733&p=547065My BZPower RPG profiles.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users