Bionicle Romance

Ok, question! Who else thinks Bionicles are capable of romance? If yes, who are your favorite couples?

If no, why don't you? In Bionicle: Mask of Light, Jaller and Hahli seem to have something (Tahu and Gali might, too)... and Sidorak sure seems to like Roodaka in Bionicle 3: Web of Shadows... they even discuss engagement!

Greg has said Bionicles are not capable of romance. As for the movies, they are not 100% canononically(?) accurate.

HOWEVER:

It is a very common theme in a lot of Bionicle fan fiction. I personally love it so long as it doesnt get too mushy.

My favorite couple was Matau and Nokama, however I made a lot of fanon couples as well

Like: Tehutti and Vihsola, Nuju and Keehrahk, Kopaka and Kurahk and so on. Not to mention the awesome love triangle that is Vakama, Matau and Nokama.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

MU beings are not capable of romance officially, but most ignore that. Glatorian and Agori are organic beings that reproduce normally, so they do have romance.

Macku and Hewkii, while unofficial, cannot be beat.

Its quite a cute one Ill admit. Macku escaping from her village and traveling miles to see her loved one. Its sweet.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Greg officially decanonized all apparent romance in the MU, as all Matoran were brought into being artificially. Spherus Magna beings, however, reproduce organically, so they do actually have romance (this is outright stated in Sahmad's Tale, so it is confirmed canon).The "engagement" and "marriage" in Web of Shadows were confirmed to be a political alliance of sorts, not a romantic relationship.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Also note: There's no such thing, canonically, as "Bionicles" -- Bionicle means a chronicle of life, or a story about biomechanical (and biological) beings. And in this context, as Taipu1 points out, not all Bionicle beings are the same in this way.

Anywho, might as well close this as question answered. :) Three main reasons:

1) Canonically it isn't debatable that Matoran Universe beings like Matoran do not have romantic feelings. They don't. (Note that they do "love" in the purer sense, however; as in brotherly love; wanting everybody to be safe, etc. and canonically the things you're confusing for romance are really that more pure kind of love -- close friendship -- as well as a mere political alliance in Sidorak & Roodaka's case.) Likewise, it's canon fact that Spherus Magna natives like Agori do. So there's really nothing left to discuss.

2) The makers of the semi-canon MNOGs and later online videos implying romance between some Matoran were likely not aware of what Matoran really were or the big secrets behind the story, as they did not clear much of that with the story team, which is a big part of why those are only considered semi-canon. (Note: it wasn't de-canonized -- common misconception -- because it was never canonized in the first place. The web team simply used some of their own interpretations and assumptions in programming the early online content.)

3) If the question is for fanfics, there's no need for discussion because people are already free to ignore the canon in their fanfics in general anyways. :)

Also, topics like this rarely go well, so it's best to just close it. It's a good question, but hopefully this is satisfactory as the answer. ^_^

Closified.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)