The Mata Nui Online Game Returns

Ah, the memories...

I still have the original offline 2006 edition on my older laptop, but I haven't gotten around to downloading an offline version from a certain project for my newer, current laptop, so I'm glad to be able to play this game again and relive this nostalgia from BIONICLE's early days.

Although I haven't been able to sit down and play through it yet, I did notice something interesting about this version. Whereas the official 2006 edition has changed most instances of "Tohunga" and "Koronan/Kornan" to "Matoran", this version retains the original terminology. It was quite a shock to read Tahu saying the line "But... you are but a Tohunga!" for the first time in nearly ten years. However, the menu and the fact that you start off with the backpack and Lightstone (rather than collecting them in Ga-Koro) are both exclusive to the 2006 version, not the original version that I played back in 2003. And Turaga Nokama still refers to Papu and Rangi under very specific conditions, just like in the 2006 edition, but I cannot remember of those conditions were required for the 2003 version. Andrewnuva199 and I speculate that this might be a "prototype" for the 2006 edition, since it has the menu and backpack/Lighstone at start but leaves the Tohunga and Koronan/Kornan uncensored.

Edited by PeabodySam

Templar Studios? My sworn enemies have returned...This is great! I never got the chance to get the offline version so I'm gonna play it once I have access to a computer. It would be cool if they released MNOG II. My game glitches and I got stuck in a room with a single red dot.

Edited by ~Tahmu~

As I understand it, Papu and Rangi were Greater Being characters that never made it past the very first draft. That said...

... I just did a little happy dance, as this game is my childhood. The ways it inspired me are uncounted, and I'll always cite it as a massive influence on my creativity.

When it was re-released for download a few years ago, I downloaded it and saved it across every computer I have access to and a jump drive and an external just to make sure I'd never lose it again. Still, I'm really glad to see Templar giving folks a formal chance to revisit their timeless classic... complete with agonizing load times that, this time, aren't caused by a dial-up connection ;)

... yes, I'm playing the online version with the no-load-time downloaded version on my comp. What?

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Yes! I loved playing this when I was younger and I can't wait to try it out again.

twilight_toa_takanewva.gif

Gavla's Comics 4.0 Dark's Comics the 3rd Movie Bm-the Prequel Bionicle Star Wars Vezon the Were-Spinax Unity, Duty, Something

Credit to Rokroro for the banner. And credit to Golden Avohkii for the avatar

Check out this great epic: Toa Takua's Epicenter

Formerly "Takanuva Toa of Twilight"

Ah, the memories... I still have the original offline 2006 edition on my older laptop, but I haven't gotten around to downloading an offline version from a certain project for my newer, current laptop, so I'm glad to be able to play this game again and relive this nostalgia from BIONICLE's early days. Although I haven't been able to sit down and play through it yet, I did notice something interesting about this version. Whereas the official 2006 edition has changed most instances of "Tohunga" and "Koronan/Kornan" to "Matoran", this version retains the original terminology. It was quite a shock to read Tahu saying the line "But... you are but a Tohunga!" for the first time in nearly ten years. However, the menu and the fact that you start off with the backpack and Lightstone (rather than collecting them in Ga-Koro) are both exclusive to the 2006 version, not the original version that I played back in 2003. And Turaga Nokama still refers to Papu and Rangi under very specific conditions, just like in the 2006 edition, but I cannot remember of those conditions were required for the 2003 version. Andrewnuva199 and I speculate that this might be a "prototype" for the 2006 edition, since it has the menu and backpack/Lighstone at start but leaves the Tohunga and Koronan/Kornan uncensored.

This version was created in 2002, possibly for a CD release that never came. LEGO later released this same version in 2006, but replaced all forbidden Maori words in the dialogues (plus a few other minor changes like the one you noticed) on their own before releasing it.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Papu? Rangi? Kornan? Who the heck are these guys?

Papu and Rangi are, as I understand from my brief research of Maori mythology, the father and mother gods that represent the sky and the earth respectively. Whether their inclusion was completely Templar's idea, or an early concept of LEGO's that was removed as a result of the lawsuit, we may never know. In any case, it is clear why the names were removed.

Kornan sounds like a misspelling of Koronan, as Takua Dragonstar7 said.

Ah, the memories...

I still have the original offline 2006 edition on my older laptop, but I haven't gotten around to downloading an offline version from a certain project for my newer, current laptop, so I'm glad to be able to play this game again and relive this nostalgia from BIONICLE's early days.

Although I haven't been able to sit down and play through it yet, I did notice something interesting about this version. Whereas the official 2006 edition has changed most instances of "Tohunga" and "Koronan/Kornan" to "Matoran", this version retains the original terminology. It was quite a shock to read Tahu saying the line "But... you are but a Tohunga!" for the first time in nearly ten years. However, the menu and the fact that you start off with the backpack and Lightstone (rather than collecting them in Ga-Koro) are both exclusive to the 2006 version, not the original version that I played back in 2003. And Turaga Nokama still refers to Papu and Rangi under very specific conditions, just like in the 2006 edition, but I cannot remember of those conditions were required for the 2003 version. Andrewnuva199 and I speculate that this might be a "prototype" for the 2006 edition, since it has the menu and backpack/Lighstone at start but leaves the Tohunga and Koronan/Kornan uncensored.

I would speculate that Papu and Rangi were removed hastily at some point during the game's initial run, around when the Maori lawsuit began. It would explain why they missed removing it from one of the text files, and why the replacement is phrased differently in a few of the corrected files. By the theory, whoever made the change was in a hurry, so as to avoid the troubles that could occur if LEGO was shown to be directly referencing the most important (I think) Maori gods. Unfortunately, there is probably no way to know for certain.

This version was created in 2002, possibly for a CD release that never came. LEGO later released this same version in 2006, but replaced all forbidden Maori words in the dialogues (plus a few other minor changes like the one you noticed) on their own before releasing it.-Gata signoff.png

I knew that LEGO had been considering releasing a physical copy of the game in 2002, and I suspected that the 2006 release might be somehow related, but I didn't know that we had gotten actual confirmation of it. Interesting.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Papu and Rangi are, as I understand from my brief research of Maori mythology, the father and mother gods that represent the sky and the earth respectively.

If anyone is interested in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangi_and_Papa

Whereas the official 2006 edition has changed most instances of "Tohunga" and "Koronan/Kornan" to "Matoran",

Kornan sounds like a misspelling of Koronan, as Takua Dragonstar7 said.

The word 'Koronan' still appears in the 2006 version alongside 'Matoran'; Taipu refers to the Le-Koronans during the Highway dig and Jala to the Ko-Koronans when dispatching Takua to Ko-Wahi.

It was presumably how villagers' elemental type was specified when the non-specific word 'Tohunga' was in use. Once the phrase 'X-Matoran' was introduced, 'X-Koronan' became unnecessary and its suffix didn't make it into anything after the game.

I would speculate that Papu and Rangi were removed hastily at some point during the game's initial run, around when the Maori lawsuit began.

That's correct. I remember noticing how quickly the two names were replaced with "someone".

I knew that LEGO had been considering releasing a physical copy of the game in 2002, and I suspected that the 2006 release might be somehow related, but I didn't know that we had gotten actual confirmation of it. Interesting.

I don't think there has ever been an actual confirmation, but everything seems to point at it. However, it's certain that apart from the dialogue changes, the 2006 version was actually made in 2002.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I played some of this and I was like, "Huh, that's what the loading screen looks like." I have the version from BOGA, so it just flashed up and quickly went away.

There isn't a link for it in the games section, so it makes me wonder if Templar is going to edit it some how. Make a MNOLG .v2 if you will.

Templar Studios? My sworn enemies have returned...This is great! I never got the chance to get the offline version so I'm gonna play it once I have access to a computer. It would be cool if they released MNOG II. My game glitches and I got stuck in a room with a single red dot.

Why are they your sworn enemies? They are some pretty cool cats IMO. And what room gets glitched?

new_sig_legacy_2.png

YES!!!!!!!!Oh man I've missed this game!Can't wait to play it!

Best Regards Iggy                                                                                 Failure to not recognize this user's awesomeness is punishable by Pikachu

"Because some...men just like to watch the world burn"  

Spontaneous Combustions is back, but not in the way you expected.

https://chargeinfinity.wordpress.com/

One issue I had with the latter version was that on the way to Kini-Nui, some of the Matoran in the Chronicler's Company would sometimes have blank text boxes. For example, I remember when I first played this game back in 2003 that Tamaru actually said something before swinging across that canyon, instead of that blank text box we see in the offline version. Now that Templar has released the original version, I'm quite happy to finally see what's been missing for a while.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

One issue I had with the latter version was that on the way to Kini-Nui, some of the Matoran in the Chronicler's Company would sometimes have blank text boxes. For example, I remember when I first played this game back in 2003 that Tamaru actually said something before swinging across that canyon, instead of that blank text box we see in the offline version. Now that Templar has released the original version, I'm quite happy to finally see what's been missing for a while.

Why thank you for pointing that out! I probably never would have noticed otherwise. I always thought it was odd that Templar would neglect to give several of the Tohunga something to say, but I had never reached far enough in the original online game to know if it was an error in the 2006 version or not. It brought a huge smile to my face to hear more from the characters, however little it may be.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

This is such an epic nostalgiafest. Thank you so very, very much.

I'll never forget the hours I spent trecking through Po-Koro, getting lost in the tunnels of Onu-Koro, and flying through the skies of Le-Koro.

Simply magic. ^_^

:hau: :akaku: :miru: :kaukau: :kakama: :pakari:

Templar studios has such a poorly designed website? What's with this stupid castle thing and the horrible sound effects? I have no idea where I'm supposed to click to find anything on the site.

This was from searching up their website from google. Luckily the BZP newsteam is able to navigate through their website and has thankfully given us a direct link.

On the topic of the news, it's good that it's back online somewhere. Though I think Gatanui's website allowed us to download it too, unless I am mistaken.

Majhost sucks

Is it just me, or does it run slower than the offline version I have? Although thats not a bad thing, I've missed getting the chance to see the little Mata Nui island loading image.

Of course it's slower. Loading times still do exist on the Internet even today. :P And know what, I actually enjoy them on this game. ^_^-Gata signoff.png

And compared to the 2-5 minutes of waiting per page I used to have with dial-up, this is a breeze. Less suspense I suppose, but that was lost in the past already.