What's happened with Bionicle and the community?

I have been a really big Bionicle fan for a very long time - since 2003, I believe. However, after the story serials stopped being updated, my attention ended up becoming focused elsewhere. Recently, I became quite curious as to what has happened wit Bionicle and the community. From what I understand, the story serials have not continued, yet Greg F. has revealed story details in some Q and A's. What else has happened since 2011? Anything interesting?

I suggest reading the front page news archive of this website.

Basically, Christian Faber released some Bionicle concept artwork on his blog, here, and Templar Studios released some Bionicle storyboards for the MNOLG, and there was a LoMN twenty-second demo released, someone took the Toa Mata and made a band of them.

And BZPower...we're still here...

I suggest reading the front page news archive of this website.

Basically, Christian Faber released some Bionicle concept artwork on his blog, here, and Templar Studios released some Bionicle storyboards for the MNOLG, and there was a LoMN twenty-second demo released, someone took the Toa Mata and made a band of them.

And BZPower...we're still here...

Yeah, also now it´s easier to play MNOG as it was released online by Templar Studios, eventually some BIONICLE-related stuff pops up whether it is a revealing or a concept art but there are still some things out there to look at :D

Thanks for the responses! 2 quick things - where did Templar Studios release the MNOG, and is there anyway to play the 20-second demo of LoMN? Thanks!

Here and no, you can't play the 20-second demo of LoMN. It was like, a short video.

Sort of, he will release it when he gets enough money, here's the link to the news story: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7470

I'm back!

I know what you mean... my guess is that since nothing has really "happened" in a while, everyone's attention has gone off elsewhere. You bring a good point about the serials and how they haven't been continued in over a year. Not that I'm saying it's anyone's fault, but because of this lack of progression in the story, people kind of lost interest. The community is still there, but it's just not there in the same was as it was in the early days. I was a fan since 2001 and a BZP member since 2004, and I know back then things were hustling and bustling here. There was always talk of events in the story, theories and predictions of what might happen, debates and arguments on certain events and theories, and discussion of media like the novels, comics, and the movies and games.

But since not all of that is going on anymore, things sort of calmed down. The movies are no longer made as the storyline ended (and that deal was transferred to the Hero Factory miniseries), there are no more games, the comics and books are no longer published, and so far since there hasn't been any kind of updates in the story, there isn't too much for members to discuss and debate. Granted, there are still those who theorize about things, but sadly it is uncertain if those theorists will ever be answered in the form of the serials or by a Q&A from GregF. I still remember a few people who theorized that the island of Mata Nui was the face of the Great Spirit who were told that it couldn't be possible. Well, a few years later, their theory was answered in the 2008 animations. And then as well like how people theorized the "green cloud" that became part of the gold-skinned fusion was either Zaktan or Teridax, and their question was answered in a Q&A by Greg that is was in fact Zaktan.

All in all, the fans are still here. Some have moved on. Others still remain in the fanbase, awaiting the return of the story. I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm still waiting for the day Greg continues the serials and progresses the story. At the same time, I've kind of had to move on in my life as I'm in college now and there's new priorities I have to pay attention to. And I know a few other fans who have had to do the same thing. I've lost a lot of friends on here that I used to talk to a lot, but they either lost interest in the story altogether or they have had to just move on. Never the less, the spirit of Bionicle is still there as many others have pointed out. If Bionicle returns, that has yet to be determined. Personally, I'd like to hope it's a reboot of the story and not a continuation. The downfall came when newcomer fans were left confused when they had to refer back to a storyline of events that took place prior to them ever getting interested in Bionicle. Starting a new story from scratch can give the story a new start and bring in new fans, yet appeal to old ones in such a way that the spirit of the toyline they all knew and loved is still there and ready for a new generation.

Thanks Dual Matrix! One last question - I realize this is probably asked a lot, and I know the man is quite busy, but are the story serials ever going to be resumed? Or is it safe to assume that they're not going to be updated again?

Unknown at present. On one hand, the serials have not been updated in over a year now, and evidence from various sources that Greg Farshtey is too busy with work on current Lego lines and family matters to update them. On the other hand, it is unknown how long the latter condition will persist, or whether Lego will bring Bionicle back in the future. Greg has been doing a couple Q&A's with us recently, so it seems that he is still interested in Bionicle.

Bottom line: The serials might come back, but probably not for a long while yet.

Thanks Dual Matrix! One last question - I realize this is probably asked a lot, and I know the man is quite busy, but are the story serials ever going to be resumed? Or is it safe to assume that they're not going to be updated again?

Unknown at present. On one hand, the serials have not been updated in over a year now, and evidence from various sources that Greg Farshtey is too busy with work on current Lego lines and family matters to update them. On the other hand, it is unknown how long the latter condition will persist, or whether Lego will bring Bionicle back in the future. Greg has been doing a couple Q&A's with us recently, so it seems that he is still interested in Bionicle. Bottom line: The serials might come back, but probably not for a long while yet.

...And even if they do come back, there's no guarantee that updates will be regular or frequent. Even when they were still being updated, updates could be sporadic, often with a long gap between updates. This is part of why I personally lost interest in the serials (though I do often wish I had kept up with them).

Huh. So at least some stuff has happened.

The Faber files material is really cool - It's awesome to get a glimpse at the concept art and how much story for each years themes were really planned out. I'm surprised. And the high-quality photos are fantastic.

And the Toa Mata band - pretty freaking sweet. Cool to see them being acknowledged as Toa Mata as well. Awesome.

Also, I remember that one article about the second BIONICLE game based on Metru Nui. I don't know, that was really interesting. Shame it never got to see the light of day.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I figure this is as good a place as I'll find to start posting. This is the first time I've been on here since BZP got overhauled in 2011. This is a very useful topic considering I had absolutely NO idea what happened to the serials. I'm so glad this place is still kicking after all this time away and I can't wait to start participating :D

Yep, BZP's still alive and well, if with a much smaller community. Most of the activity is in RPG's, The Library, MOCs, and Off-Topic these days, though, considering there isn't much new developments with Bioonicle itself to discuss,.

As far as actual LEGO discussion goes, though, there's consistently far more active discussion topics in the BIONICLE sets and collectibles subforum than in the LEGO sets or Hero Factory sets subforums. So evidently even without new BIONICLE sets, plenty of people still get enjoyment out of discussing the old ones. Even if it's not the majority of activity here on BZPower, I think that's somewhat heartwarming.

• 1 month later...

I really want Greg to reveal more serials someday. Because I have to know what happens to Velika! Please! Did the Red Star "dead" people defeat him and Marendar or something? Did Axonn and Vezon's group survive?

I hope someone goes and asks Greg those questions, along with maybe these (from an April Fool's interview, which was made up entirely by Bionicleman):

What is the Shadowed One’s real name?

Is it possible there could be more Matoran elements we don’t know about?
What is the fate of Lesovikk's team? They were killed long before the Red Star system broke down, so were they revived and teleported back, and if so, why didn't Lesovikk find them? Or were they permanently killed by the Zyglak, seeing as they have disintegration spears? Also do you have a name for their team?
Who forged the Mask of Creation?
What would the power-manifestations of Fa-, Su, Ba-, and Bo-Matoran be?
If a Kraata infects a mask on Spherus Magna would that Matoran be under any control since there are no evil Makuta anymore?
We have seen Kanohi, like the Ignika and Zatth, affect/work on Spherus Magna inhabitants. It has also been confirmed that Kanohi Nuva powers can be shared with SM inhabitants. So can SM inhabitants themselves use Kanohi?
Might it possibly be limited to the five Glatorian who now have elemental powers?
How did Velika obtain Lezovikk’s Dagger?
Do Matoran names have meaning beyond the individual they refer to (for example, does a name like "Vakama" mean something as a word)?
Did the shadow Matoran of Karda Nui originally have the same Noble Masks before they were transformed into shadow Matoran? They seem like unlikely mask choices for Av-Matoran because of how immoral they are and their association with Makuta, even if they are powerless.
Why does the Vahi has so much influence over time in the MU if it was made thousands upon thousands of years after the MU was completed. I mean, if damaged or broken it can severely mess up time throughout the MU, but how does it manage to have such a widespread effect if, unlike the Ignika and Mask of Creation, it wasn't made by the GBs themselves for the MU?
Can any MU inhabitants killed on Spherus Magna have the potential to be revived, or not?
If the Ignika countdown that was meant to end the Matoran Universe had reached zero, would everyone have died, only to be revived by the star, or would they stay dead? It doesn't seem to make much sense for the GBs to make a countdown whose purpose could be nullified by another of their own creations.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

And one of my own questions:

Can a Mask of Elemental Energy that has already been used be "recharged" by Toa Power? (Like refilling a drink probably)