Game Of The Year

Leg O'Brick

If you were picking the GOTY this year, what would you pick? For me, it's tied up between Portal 2 and Batman: Arkham City. What do you think?

Nuparu's BoomBoxor is temporarily out of commission (been infected by some malware & whatnot, curse those anonymous russian bots). I guess I'll get around to putting it back up eventually. Maybe when Templar finally get around to re-doing the soundtrack to MNOG.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. Eh, you might've guessed. :P It's had a darn good story, an excellent decision making system in which every action you take has very impressive and realistic consequences, a feel that perfectly matched that of the books that it was based off - and incredible graphics and soundtrack to top it off.-Dovydas

Edited by Dovydas the Nerevarine

Uncharted 3yeah it's not out yet but honestly who could doubt it

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword :X

Wow. I totally forgot about that game. I may have to rethink my list...

Nuparu's BoomBoxor is temporarily out of commission (been infected by some malware & whatnot, curse those anonymous russian bots). I guess I'll get around to putting it back up eventually. Maybe when Templar finally get around to re-doing the soundtrack to MNOG.

Okay, games I've played that came out this year:Kingdom Hearts Re: CodedDissidia 012 (duodecim) Final FantasyArcana Heart 3Dead or Alive: Dimenions I haven't played that many new games... I've mainly been getting older stuff this year (Xenosaga, The World Ends With You, Portal, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Infamous, Bayonetta, to name a few) because I'd like to get a lot of games I missed out on while they're relatively inexpensive and easy to find, but I do plan on getting a bunch of games from this year in a month or two... Anyways, from this list I'd have to call it really close between Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy and Arcana Heart 3, DDFF has great gameplay mechanics (the assists added a good bit of depth to the battles) and is really easy to get into, but I kinda stopped playing after I was about halfway through the original Dissidia's story mode, kinda got boring replaying the previous game all over again... Arcana Heart 3 is one of the most solid arcade fighters I've ever played, and I'm surprisingly good at it (I'm awful at other arcade fighters like Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, and Guilty Gear), and I have a blast every time I play it, and I love online matches. I'm thinking that this will change, though, once I finally get my hands on Infamous 2, Portal 2, and Skyward Sword.

MW3. Because I'm a fanboy. :P

Honestly, I respect MW3 fans more than Battlefield fans. I just can't bring myself to like anything made by EA these days, because of how arrogant their management is and how poorly their developers are treated. At least Activision has the decency to respect their competitors. Edited by Leg O'Brick

I've only gotten two games from this year, Portal 2, and Minecraft, (bought MC in 2010, but it's coming out fully this year, so I'll count it as a 2011 game) and with the undeniable popularity of Minecraft, it HAS to get GOTY, and even though I don't play survival all that much, I'd have to agree.

Please enjoy a series of on signals and off signals sent from a far off computer to yours, forming short messages that may disturb and amuse!

Honestly, I respect MW3 fans more than Battlefield fans. I just can't bring myself to like anything made by EA these days, because of how arrogant their management is and how poorly their developers are treated. At least Activision has the decency to respect their competitors.

Because we all know that fans are shaped like the devs, amirite or amirite? Anyways, for me, I'd probably go with New Vegas, all 4 DLCs included.

EA does suck, but honestly that would mean I wouldn't be able to get anything made by DICE or BioWare, and that's just hurting myself. DICE made Battlefield 3, they made the game great (yet to be determined, I know). Activision may make everything look nice, but Call of Duty is a franchise that has suffered greatly because of them. They fired many of the staff from Infinity Ward, and also fired their main heads. They even had to bring in other developers just to be able to make MW3. Now, to stay more on topic, it's hard to say since the year isn't over yet, but it'll definitely be a hard decision to make. So many good games coming out this year.

Edited by DYLAN the SINKING STAR

Honestly, I respect MW3 fans more than Battlefield fans. I just can't bring myself to like anything made by EA these days, because of how arrogant their management is and how poorly their developers are treated. At least Activision has the decency to respect their competitors.
DICE made the Battlefield series, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick wants to take the fun out of making games, etc etc. anything Dylan said.

... Why are people electing games that aren't even out yet? x_x I, myself, have not played any games that have come out this year, so I can't draw my own opinion. However, my GOTY of 2010 would be Mass Effect 2.

Hype and hope bro. DARK SOULS GAME OF THE YEAR OF ALL YEARS!

Minecraft. No doubt about it.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Nothing really jumped out at me this year, but of course the winner will be one of the copypaste game series, just like every year. My money's on Gears 3 or Battlefield 3, but MW3 is also a contender. Skyward Sword and Skyrim will both probably win a few categories as well just because they're advertised so much.

kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

Haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but I've been following it unfailingly since E3 2009, a feat no other game coming out this year can claim. So I vote Skyward Sword. Of the games I've played this year, Minecraft and Star Fox 64 3D are two games I've enjoyed. I know LoZ: OoT 3D will be winning a few awards, too.

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Halo CE Anniversary. Although I loved Gears of War 3 as well. Although Arkham City looks like it's gonna be one of the highest rated games on GameRankings (at least the PS3 version). This game and Uncharted 3 may lock horns in capturing Game of the Year awards, considering how well Uncharted 2 was recieved.

Edited by Superbionicle

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

Rage, obviously. I don't own it, but I so friggin' want to. Seriously, it's one of (if not the best) FPSs this year. The graphics are to die for, the gameplay is amazing, and yes, a big fat plus is the fact that it's a free roaming game. :333 The apocalypse setting works so well with it too, and there's a monetary system in the game, along with items and upgrades galore. Personally, I'd rate it 5/5, it is just that cool. -Skar

Nothing really jumped out at me this year, but of course the winner will be one of the copypaste game series, just like every year. My money's on Gears 3 or Battlefield 3, but MW3 is also a contender. Skyward Sword and Skyrim will both probably win a few categories as well just because they're advertised so much.

Yea. Honestly, there's so little innovation in the major studios these days; the only real innovation is coming from people like Notch and Jonathan Blow. It's cause the massive budgets for these AAA games means that the profit margins are so small that everyone just takes the safe bet. These indie games can focus on innovation instead of set-pieces.

DICE made the Battlefield series, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick wants to take the fun out of making games, etc etc. anything Dylan said.
Yea, but they're owned by EA. I know you don't think it's any different; but when a game production company owns a studio, they rarely fail to imprint their culture on it. Take naughty dog's purchase by sony (although that one turned out to be a positive). Uncharted was almost a fantasy-ish game. (Can't post a link; stupid rules.) Edited by Leg O'Brick

Rage, obviously. I don't own it, but I so friggin' want to. Seriously, it's one of (if not the best) FPSs this year. The graphics are to die for, the gameplay is amazing, and yes, a big fat plus is the fact that it's a free roaming game. :333 The apocalypse setting works so well with it too, and there's a monetary system in the game, along with items and upgrades galore. Personally, I'd rate it 5/5, it is just that cool. -Skar

Rage is great, but the graphics aren't to die for the game isn't free roam per se. Regardless, it's an amazing shooter and better that all the generic FPSes pumped out these days.

(Skipping all the posts above mine) Killzone 3Uncharted 3or Deus Ex Human Revolution. Tie between those three.

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

Because we all know that fans are shaped like the devs, amirite or amirite? Anyways, for me, I'd probably go with New Vegas, all 4 DLCs included.
New Vegas couldn't win it since it came out last year. From what I've seen, DLC doesn't make a game any more elligable (sp?)... :P Anywho, I'm sitting in the camp of "Wayy too soon to decide." I won't have a decision until the November release season is over, when a bunch of the big titles are finally out. That said, I've got a few opinions of some of the games that seem to be in contending: -If MW3 actually wins, it'll be the last CoD to do so. Perhaps I'm the only one of this opinion, but CoD's annual releases and lack of true innovation in their games has earned them a nice cashflow in a short amount of time... I think MW3's going to be the last truly popular Call of Duty, and it'll go downhill after that. Personally, I see it perhaps making the top 10 but not the winner. -Battlefield 3: No particular opinion, it sounds like the fanbase is pretty up and happy about it so far, but I've heard some dissent from the Beta (as we get from most betas :P). I could see it feasibly butting its head into the top 10. -Assassins Creed: Revelations. This game has a lot of potential, IMO. The AC series is always fun to play, and between the three main games they've made tons of useful changes or creative additions. -CE: Anniversary. At best it'll probably receive an honorable mention. I love Halo to death, but you can only do so much with a campaign layered over in graphics and thrown together with 7 multiplayer maps for Reach. Halo 4's going to take up a ton of attention next year anywho, that's where 343 will really prove themselves as a company. -Rage: I haven't looked too much into it, but from the one video I saw and from what I've heard, a lot of people compare it in style (not gameplay nor genre) to Fallout. It's seemed popular enough to get somewhere, however! -Skyrim: Major contender, IMO. I've heard soooo many people of various fanbase talk about going straight over to that game once it hits release. -GoW3: Eh, perhaps a popular honorable mention or within the top 20? -Skyward Sword: Mehr... We'll see. Personally, the more bright and animated-looking Zelda games never appeal to me as much as, say, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Twilight Princess. Skyward's almost like a combo of the two, but personally from what little I've seen, I don't think it'd be the winner. I wouldn't doubt it capable of making the top 10, however. -Minecraft: I'll be honest; I haven't gotten many games this year whatsoever. A little strapped for cash, busy, and not a whole lot aside from continuations of series that I have some, but not great interest in. Minecraft is perhaps the one game I've heard talked about the most all year though. And considering what made GOTY last year... Minecraft may be the one to take it home. It'll beyond a doubt make the top 10. -Pokemon Black/White: Another year, another generation of Pokes. Since this is a new generation with all sorts of new features, I can see them appearing somewhere in the top 20 at least. Pokemon always tends to come off with some level of popularity and appraise, even if the new pokes this year are.. a bit odd, here and there :P All in all, those are totally just my opinions from what I've heard, seen, or experienced. I've still yet to make a personal decision, but those are some of my guesses on popular titles. This year feels like it's another buildup year for an amazing release year. The last year I remember being excited and amazed at all the great, competative titles being released was 2007. In 07 we saw Halo 3, the debut of Modern Warfare for CoD, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, among others. Guitar Hero also surged in popularity in 07.In 06 we saw Assassins Creed, Gears of War, and Twilight Princess debut, among others. I'm sure there are other huge titles I've missed that came out in these two years. ^Those were perhaps the two golden years of videogaming we've had in awhile; it's about time for another major year. While this year's bringing on things like AC4, Uncharted 3, Portal 2, MW3, BF3, GOW3, Skyrim... a lot of the big titles are, in fact, sequels, trilogies, or beyond. It's not to say they're bad, because I definitely love a lot of these series and titles! However, it's just one of those years where nothing seems to really be dropping jaws everywhere. Definitely a better release year than last year, but I have a feeling 2011 will be to 2012 as 2006 was to 2007: A buildup for an amazing year! 'Course this is totes my opinion and everybody is welcome to disagree ^_^ All I know is I'm not getting that amazed, agape feeling I had when Halo 3 was announced, and furthermore when other FPS and such were actually competing with it! But here's to a good year in videogaming, and I wish all the titles that end up selected for the best!

'Course this is totes my opinion and everybody is welcome to disagree ^_^ All I know is I'm not getting that amazed, agape feeling I had when Halo 3 was announced, and furthermore when other FPS and such were actually competing with it! But here's to a good year in videogaming, and I wish all the titles that end up selected for the best!

I'd agree completely if not for the lack of The Witcher 2 on that list.-Dovydas

Angry Birds Nah, not really. I wasn't particularly fond of the video games released this year, I doubt I'll buy any new system and just play my Nintendo 64. There's something missing in the new games for me that's in those games... it's like the older games kind of welcomed you into their world whereas nowadays you seem pretty distant from the characters for some reason... I dunno, that might just be me.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Amazing game.

This. 100 times. Deus Ex: Human Revolution really brought back FPS RPGs, since Elder Scrolls is FPS, but without guns and such(And can be played in third person).Considering Skyrim hasn't came out yet, and neither has BF3, I can't judge.