So, I got a "little theory". I'm not sure it will fit into the storyline, but yeah. When the Great Beings discovered that the EP leaking from the center of SM(and that SM will eventually "rip" apart), they created the MU and its main inhabitants, the Matoran, and its sub species, Toa and Turaga. The Matoran species have the power to form into Kaita, a combination of usually three beings. Something I've been thinking is that maybe the GBs made this function to inform the Matoran/Toa/Turaga/Mata Nui that that is the way to reform SM, that three will become one. Thoughts?

It's very possible it was inspired by the idea, and may have been a reminder to Mata Nui, much like the Blade Burrower tunnels. I'm sure Mata Nui knew from the start what he was supposed to do, though. The problem was that he could forget it.

And yeah, there are six-fusions, and sometimes two-fusions, but most fusions are threes.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's very possible it was inspired by the idea, and may have been a reminder to Mata Nui, much like the Blade Burrower tunnels. I'm sure Mata Nui knew from the start what he was supposed to do, though. The problem was that he could forget it.

And yeah, there are six-fusions, and sometimes two-fusions, but most fusions are threes.

I think by two-fusion you are referring to Prototype, but it was proven that if it wasn't for the Spear of Fusion, the fusion wouldn't have been stable, and they wouldn't have been able to keep it.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?