Was it all planned?

Looking back at the decade of storyline in Bionicle, you gotta wonder if large, shocking events (such as the entire MU being a robot) were planned since the start.I'm going to look at the MU event as an example, and a bit of the whole spherus magna thing as well. (some of these points may not be canon, as some are from MNOLG)

Nixie has a map in her hut with one larger planet surrounded by 2 smaller ones.

The sundial underneeath Mata Nui points towards 4:00, which looking on a map of the MU, does in fact lead to Karda Nui. (We do find out later this is the sundial's purpose.)

The features on both Mata Nui and Metru Nui are very similar to a head. (Archives representing memory of the GS, chutes representing veins, the exterior of Mata Nui sorta looks like a face,)

Many features on Mata Nui i think do translate to features on a face (i've heard ihu translates to nose somehow, and naho translates to eye somehow, please tell me if you know how.)

So, do you think it was all planned from the start? List other reasons you may or may not think this.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

Actually, it was planned, at least the big robot part. Christian Faber confirmed it, and Greg Farshtey also, quite a while back. I think it was the same for Spherus Magna, but I'm not that sure.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

As Dual and Maxim said, Faber mentioned this a while ago... the GSR, at least, was planned. If SM wasn't planned, then I'd guess it was created soon after as a reason for Mata Nui to exist.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Many features on Mata Nui i think do translate to features on a face (i've heard ihu translates to nose somehow, and naho translates to eye somehow, please tell me if you know how.)

Mata Nui island was supposed to be a camouflage thing for the head of the Great Spirit robot, so Mangai was the nose(not Ihu), one of the eyes was under Naho Bay, so on.

Mata Nui island was supposed to be a camouflage thing for the head of the Great Spirit robot, so Mangai was the nose(not Ihu), one of the eyes was under Naho Bay, so on.

Mangai is mouth, Ihu is Nose

I'm back!

There was also Greg's "Planned Vs. Not Planned" topic on the old forums. I failed to find a google cache of the first page, but there's one of the last page, with a few posts of Greg's:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2IMDdZkoAWcJ:www.bzpower.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php%3Ft316837-150.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pretty sure in the firstpost he said that the three = one thing wasn't planned (despite the logo), and there's one line in one of the posts here that seems to confirm that. Unsure though.

Nixie has a map in her hut with one larger planet surrounded by 2 smaller ones.

This is actually evidence against the idea that Spherus Magna was planned originally, for a few reasons:

1) The most important object for Nixie's purposes is the Red Star, so if you were right we should see at least four objects.

2) There's also a small moon orbiting AM, which has been depicted in their skies, but never Bota or Bara Magna. So there should actually be five objects (or four if just one of the others were visible perhaps).

3) The words "Mata Nui" point to a spot on the large central one, showing that it is Aqua Magna, and the map is depicting only things that orbit AM. This would be contradictory if either of those dots referred to Bara Magna, which even at that distance should look so huge she wouldn't make such a major error.

4) One of the orbiters is smaller than the other, so if the central one was supposed to be Bara Magna, that would be wrong because Aqua and Bota Magna are the same size.

5) Greg confirmed that you can't see those from Mata Nui Island due to that side of AM always pointing away (much like our moon's far side). This was almost certainly because they were added later, to explain away why Nixie didn't know of them.

The sundial underneeath Mata Nui points towards 4:00, which looking on a map of the MU, does in fact lead to Karda Nui. (We do find out later this is the sundial's purpose.)

I don't see how you figure. 4:00 on that map is due east, and there's nothing that way but the left side of the giant's head. It would have to point due south to do that. I suppose being underground it could be aligned any which way, so you could be right, but then how would we know? Am I missing something here? :P

Also, Greg confirmed that he didn't invent the Sundial; fan popularity of this idea made by the MNOG designers was what led him to canonize it and assign it a purpose. It only pointed to Karda Nui after being removed, and possibly realigned. In fact, the actual design of the sundial (well, the number of spots, anyways) wasn't canonized until we did a BSS project for it.

You are correct about the face clues; those were all intentional.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I believe that if you listen closely to the scene in Mol right before everyone goes into the lair that someone says something like "He's a giant machine".

And I feel like that was worded horribly.

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I believe that if you listen closely to the scene in Mol right before everyone goes into the lair that someone says something like "He's a giant machine".

And I feel like that was worded horribly.

You mean "he's just a big machine"? :PYes, it was worded horribly.

but their spirits

Even if someone did say that, in context they would clearly be referring to Makuta, so I doubt it could have been meant as a hint to Mata Nui's form. (It would also have been a misunderstanding on the character's part, as Makuta is the energy/gas inside the armor, not a machine.)

Just sayin'. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Even if someone did say that, in context they would clearly be referring to Makuta, so I doubt it could have been meant as a hint to Mata Nui's form. (It would also have been a misunderstanding on the character's part, as Makuta is the energy/gas inside the armor, not a machine.)

I thought it was said in response to something about mata nuis awakening. Though I could be wrong on that.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Hahli: We are to awaken Mata Nui today!

Troll in the crowd: He's a big machine!

It was clearly Mata Nui who was being referred to. And it makes sense, seeing as the storyteam knew about Mata Nui's true form all the way back then and gave us a lot of hints along the road anyway.

It was clearly Mata Nui who was being referred to. And it makes sense, seeing as the storyteam knew about Mata Nui's true form all the way back then and gave us a lot of hints along the road anyway.

You're correct. I think bones has assumed it concerns Makuta because Shockwave described the quote as being 'right before everyone goes into the lair', when it's actually when they're outside discussing whether to do so, in relation to awakening Mata Nui.

And if you think about it, it couldn't be Makuta, because none of the characters in question (Nuva/Turaga) had seen his huge hulking form at that point. The last any of them had seen of Makuta was in the MNOLG climax, in which he was a Matoran then a load of black vines, neither 'giant robot'-like.

Alright, I sit corrected. :P

I assumed the "troll" was calling Makuta a "big machine" (maybe poking fun at the fact that he's just a walking suit-of-armor now, or just plain poking fun), but then I was only 10 at the time, ha ha.Not to spoil everyone's fun, but is it possible that the filmmakers wrote that line in reference to Makuta OR as a troll-line? ("Ha ha, Mata Nui isn't really a giant robot, but let's see how many viewers fall for this.") There are a lot of things in the movies that Greg and the fandom have dubbed non-canon, and I just can't help but wonder if that line was written without any knowledge whatsoever of what Mata Nui really was, simply because I don't think the story-team would have given that kind of hint away so early on, not with the danger of someone from the film-crew spilling the beans. You'd be surprised how many movie plot-points are spoiled before they even get out of pre-production, for example. :|I could be wrong! Just seems too good to be true, ha ha. Then again, we have the two "moons" in LoMN, so who knows. But then that could be passed off as being symbolic of Mata Nui having fallen deeper into his coma, at least during the first few years of Bionicle, aaaaand I'm going to shut up now. *slinks off*

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I assumed the "troll" was calling Makuta a "big machine" (maybe poking fun at the fact that he's just a walking suit-of-armor now, or just plain poking fun), but then I was only 10 at the time, ha ha.Not to spoil everyone's fun, but is it possible that the filmmakers wrote that line in reference to Makuta OR as a troll-line? ("Ha ha, Mata Nui isn't really a giant robot, but let's see how many viewers fall for this.") There are a lot of things in the movies that Greg and the fandom have dubbed non-canon, and I just can't help but wonder if that line was written without any knowledge whatsoever of what Mata Nui really was, simply because I don't think the story-team would have given that kind of hint away so early on, not with the danger of someone from the film-crew spilling the beans. You'd be surprised how many movie plot-points are spoiled before they even get out of pre-production, for example. :|

So the filmmakers would throw in a line about Mata Nui being a big machine for no proper reason at all, only for that to actually turn out to be true?

That's an impossible coincidence. It was obviously a sneaky reference to Bionicle's 'big secret', regardless of whether it was safe to do so at that time.

I didn't say it wasn't a deliberate hint-hint, just that it would be funny if it was a coincidence. :) They must have found a way to make sure no one on the film-crew let it slip that Mata Nui really was a giant robot, or it was such a subtle hint that not even the crew (save the writers) knew that it even meant anything. S'all I'm saying.

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I assumed the "troll" was calling Makuta a "big machine" (maybe poking fun at the fact that he's just a walking suit-of-armor now, or just plain poking fun), but then I was only 10 at the time, ha ha.Not to spoil everyone's fun, but is it possible that the filmmakers wrote that line in reference to Makuta OR as a troll-line? ("Ha ha, Mata Nui isn't really a giant robot, but let's see how many viewers fall for this.") There are a lot of things in the movies that Greg and the fandom have dubbed non-canon, and I just can't help but wonder if that line was written without any knowledge whatsoever of what Mata Nui really was, simply because I don't think the story-team would have given that kind of hint away so early on, not with the danger of someone from the film-crew spilling the beans. You'd be surprised how many movie plot-points are spoiled before they even get out of pre-production, for example. :|I could be wrong! Just seems too good to be true, ha ha. Then again, we have the two "moons" in LoMN, so who knows. But then that could be passed off as being symbolic of Mata Nui having fallen deeper into his coma, at least during the first few years of Bionicle, aaaaand I'm going to shut up now. *slinks off*

You seem to imply with this that Mata Nui's true nature wasn't planned from the beginning? You do realize Greg and Christian Faber have both confirmed that it was?

Hahli: We are to awaken Mata Nui today! Troll in the crowd: He's a big machine! It was clearly Mata Nui who was being referred to. And it makes sense, seeing as the storyteam knew about Mata Nui's true form all the way back then and gave us a lot of hints along the road anyway.

You seem to imply with this that Mata Nui's true nature wasn't planned from the beginning? You do realize Greg and Christian Faber have both confirmed that it was?

Hahli: We are to awaken Mata Nui today! Troll in the crowd: He's a big machine! It was clearly Mata Nui who was being referred to. And it makes sense, seeing as the storyteam knew about Mata Nui's true form all the way back then and gave us a lot of hints along the road anyway.

It seems to me that he's implying that the filmmakers didn't have it planned from the beginning. The story team knew, obviously, but it doesn't seem too likely that they would divulge those details to the filmmakers when they weren't needed for the movie.Which makes that line a rather spooky coincidence, but I digress.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Actually, the MoL film commentary has several references to the big secret and that they were not allowed to tell it. The guys giving the commentary knew the secret and they were not part of the story team. Besides, the makers of the movie did not make the script separately from the story team. They worked WITH Bob Thompson and the team.

Huh. I'd always assumed it was a year-by-year thing. It's nice knowing there was a grand vision. I really need to get more into the depths and secrets of all this, I just love the first few years way too much. Didn't pay much attention past 2005 or 2006.

A Chronicler of a time long past, looking back at pleasant memories...

Eleven years and still counting. Hard to believe I still check back here every so often.

Continue on, my Company...

It seems to me that he's implying that the filmmakers didn't have it planned from the beginning. The story team knew, obviously, but it doesn't seem too likely that they would divulge those details to the filmmakers when they weren't needed for the movie.Which makes that line a rather spooky coincidence, but I digress.

So what else could "he's a big machine!" right after Mata Nui is named possibly be a reference to? Why include such a line?

We've established that it can't refer to Makuta, because he isn't mentioned at all in the dialogue, and his machine-like form hadn't yet been seen by anyone present in the scene. (Okay, the Turaga had seen him as something very similar in the Great Cataclysm, but that was quite briefly and an entire millenium ago, plus they know Makuta to be a shapeshifter.)

The only other character mentioned is Takanuva, but there's obviously nothing very big or machine-like about him.

^ Exactly what I was implying.

Actually, the MoL film commentary has several references to the big secret and that they were not allowed to tell it. The guys giving the commentary knew the secret and they were not part of the story team. Besides, the makers of the movie did not make the script separately from the story team. They worked WITH Bob Thompson and the team.

Now this I didn't know (or at least didn't remember). I watched the Special-features once each when I was all of 10 and haven't touched them since. Donno why. *shrug* Anyhow, it's cool to know that they did work so closely with the story-team. I was under the assumption for the last ten years that that wasn't the case. Basically what I've been saying up 'til now is that I know that the entire story was planned from the beginning, but I thought that one line had nothing to do with "the big secret". Now that that's cleared up, all I can do is sit back and marvel at the story-team's craftiness, ha ha.

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Notice, they almost had the story blown in 2002 with the three finger idea.

The three finger idea? What is that?

See here.

Are we even sure that the "he's a big machine" line is actually part of the script, or are we just trying to make words out of unintelligible crowd noises? I can hear the line when I watch the scene, but that could easily be confirmation bias.

I just checked. I'm absolutely sure they say "He's a _____ machine." "Big" might be something else but I think it's right.

So what else could "he's a big machine!" right after Mata Nui is named possibly be a reference to? Why include such a line?

We've established that it can't refer to Makuta, because he isn't mentioned at all in the dialogue, and his machine-like form hadn't yet been seen by anyone present in the scene. (Okay, the Turaga had seen him as something very similar in the Great Cataclysm, but that was quite briefly and an entire millenium ago, plus they know Makuta to be a shapeshifter.)

The only other character mentioned is Takanuva, but there's obviously nothing very big or machine-like about him.

I just have to point out here that none of the Matoran or the Turaga knew about Mata Nui being a big machine either. :P So that point is kinda moot.

It's possible "he" could be Takanuva. Other than "big", the saying would actually make sense in English -- "Takanuva just went down there and he's already saying it's time to wake Mata Nui!" Response: "He's a machine!" Meaning incredibly efficient.

The "big" throws that off, though, so I have to doubt it. The easter egg clue theory seems most reasonable.

It's also possible the Matoran are smarter than us and figured out, hey, Takanuva is going deep underground and that is where to awaken Mata Nui, ergo, Mata Nui is a machine the island is atop, so it could be a logical conclusion. (Plus clue. :P) It wouldn't need to mean the speaker understood the shape or nature of the machine.

Edited by bonesiii

I just have to point out here that none of the Matoran or the Turaga knew about Mata Nui being a big machine either. :P So that point is kinda moot.

Okay, I know what you mean, technically the line can't refer to Mata Nui either. But that's only if you're examining the line 'inside' the story, in which case it can't refer to anyone. What I'm arguing is that the line refers to Mata Nui's true form, in which case the line exists 'outside' the story.

Think of it like the music. It's there in that you can hear it in relation to the movie's events, but it's not actually there because there's not an orchestra in the scene playing it. It's there only for the audience, not the characters.

It's also possible the Matoran are smarter than us and figured out, hey, Takanuva is going deep underground and that is where to awaken Mata Nui, ergo, Mata Nui is a machine the island is atop, so it could be a logical conclusion.

I don't get the train of thought here. How is thinking that underground is where Mata Nui's body/form is located, or where he is to be awakened from, reasonable grounds to think he is a machine?

Well, it's loose, but the Matoran might be more likely to follow the train of thought than us. Maybe they were aware of other clues, similar to the clues that led people to form the island = face theory in 2008. Maybe aspects of the Bohrok story (design of the tunnels, etc.) could have tipped them off that the island is atop a machine. We might not be privy to all the clues they might know. Kinda like Survivor; a lot more goes on than they have time to fit into an hour's television.

I doubt it, just an idea that came to mind.

Okay, I know what you mean, technically the line can't refer to Mata Nui either. But that's only if you're examining the line 'inside' the story, in which case it can't refer to anyone. What I'm arguing is that the line refers to Mata Nui's true form, in which case the line exists 'outside' the story.

Think of it like the music. It's there in that you can hear it in relation to the movie's events, but it's not actually there because there's not an orchestra in the scene playing it. It's there only for the audience, not the characters.

Yeah I know, I was just joking cause you said "he's a big machine" can't refer to Makuta for the reason that the Matoran hadn't seen him. But they hadn't seen Mata Nui either. But I know it was a tip for the fans.

I'm just going to assume that the "he's just a big machine" wasn't meant to be something that the Matoran knew in-story, just something that was thrown in there as an easter egg, like Toatapio and others said.

but their spirits