• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Old grey to New grey

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 11-January 07
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 12 2013 - 12:16 PM

What was the reason for lego to change from the old light grey and old dark grey that ended in 2003. To the new light grey and new dark grey that started in 2004?

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickstein 11.gif

Even when things look there worst. And the shadow of evil is upon us. Remember that as long as we hope for the best. Light will appear and overcome the darkness.

Please check out my projects on Lego Ideas.9.gif
https://ideas.lego.c...kstein/projects

I'm looking for an Inkay or Malamar with its event move Happy Hour. Pm if you have one I can borrow to breed and pass the move down so I can have an Inkay with the move for myself.

Friend Code- 0216-0827-9119

#2 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,770 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 12 2013 - 01:20 PM

What was the reason for lego to change from the old light grey and old dark grey that ended in 2003. To the new light grey and new dark grey that started in 2004?

As I understand it, The LEGO Group was trying to streamline their color palette around that time to reduce the number of colors in it that were hardly ever used, and during the process they realized that some of their colors simply lacked the brightness of their other colors. They tested the new colors (including grays, browns, and a number of others) with focus groups and found that the newer, brighter variants were preferred. Of course, they were not totally prepared for the backlash from the Adult Fan of LEGO community.Personally, I agree with the decision. In comparison to the new greys and browns, the old ones just look dingy, almost like they've been yellowed by smoke from a fire or stained by dirty water. The new ones have more of that clean LEGO look that I tend to love. However, understandably a lot of builders who had spent decades accumulating a collection were concerned about new parts no longer being consistent with older ones.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Online Nidhiki of the Shadows

Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lord of Corruption

• 04-June 04
  • 18,357 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 12 2013 - 06:31 PM

[color=#008000;]The old grey looked really washed out... faded almost. If the idea was to appeal to the focus groups that makes sense. But I definitely prefer the older dark gray to the infamous "bley". Granted, it wasn't a BAD colour... just overused. So much.[/color]

[color=#008000;]-NotS[/color]

tahu.jpg

Story Retread Progress:

:infected: Chronicles/Mata Nui (01-03) •  :vahi: Adventures/Metru Nui (04-05) •  :voyanui: Legends/Ignition (06-08) •  :hau: Bara Magna/Glatorian (09-10-11)

Current Year: Spring 2009 • Current Arc: Fall of Atero • Serial: Empire of the Skrall/Riddle of the Great Beings

#4 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,770 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 12:21 PM

[color=#008000;]The old grey looked really washed out... faded almost. If the idea was to appeal to the focus groups that makes sense. But I definitely prefer the older dark gray to the infamous "bley". Granted, it wasn't a BAD colour... just overused. So much.[/color] [color=#008000;]-NotS[/color]

Well, there's a plus to dark bley (Dark Stone Grey) being used so much. This meant that people wanting to use it in MOCs weren't forced to mix it with old dark grey.Also, perhaps it's the other way around and the old dark grey was deliberately underused since kids didn't like it as much. :P

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time, Apr 13 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Offline Indigogeek

Indigogeek
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 05-December 10
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 08:42 AM

I just wish there was ONE grey that was released. MOCing can be a pain. :(

Tu2d6W7.jpg