Experiment Discussed on TED Talks uses BIONICLE

You don't often hear about BIONICLE anymore, but when a TED Talk mentioned the use of them in an experiment, BZPower member reckoner was listening. The talk by Dan Ariely titled "What makes us feel good about our work?" details how he sought to see for how little money people would build "BIONICLEs". It was nice to hear our favorite toy-line was being put to use, despite the fact that whoever assembled the sets for photography didn't understand the instructions. I just hope he didn't have LEGO fans in his test group, 'cus we PAY money to build "BIONICLEs".View the full article

TED talks are going to take over the internet, assuming they haven't already.

Ariely brings up an interesting point: we need to have sense of purpose in order to accomplish tasks. It when that sense of purpose is forced away from us that we become restless and indolent. I think that's more optimistic than the idea that our only driving force is money. It does bring up a unique question: why don't we accept money as something as purpose fulfilling, or in a deeper level at least? I'd go on, but that's pushing the limits on BZP rules.

It's a good talk.

EDIT: But I did find the odd combination of a wrongly designed Vakama Hordika and Bohrok Va to be humourous.

Edited by Reckoner

Majhost sucks

EDIT: But I did find the odd combination off a wrongly designed Vakama Hordika and Bohrok Va to be humourous.

That's not a Bohrok Va, that's a Gahlok. :lol:

Sorry. Lol @ description of "Bionicles" in talk. Very interesting and informative. For all not aware, TED talks mostly deal in economics. (At least, from my experience.)

And yes, he did use Lego fans near the end of the experiment. There's something to the good old "I do this because I like it, based on past experience " versus the "I am going to do this to stay alive." mentality, but that is heightened if you know that the creation is not pointless, is going somewhere, etc.