• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Experiment Discussed on TED Talks uses BIONICLE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 07:13 PM

You don't often hear about BIONICLE anymore, but when a TED Talk mentioned the use of them in an experiment, BZPower member reckoner was listening. The talk by Dan Ariely titled "What makes us feel good about our work?" details how he sought to see for how little money people would build "BIONICLEs". It was nice to hear our favorite toy-line was being put to use, despite the fact that whoever assembled the sets for photography didn't understand the instructions. I just hope he didn't have LEGO fans in his test group, 'cus we PAY money to build "BIONICLEs".View the full article

#2 Offline Heir of the Chronicler

Heir of the Chronicler
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,715 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 09:12 PM

Ha, that's neat! Reminds me of when Bionicle made it into the Sarah Connor TV show, only this is way cooler... because TED.

- Heir

vffsigbanner5.png

#3 Offline iPenguin

iPenguin
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,241 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 09:55 PM

TED talks are going to take over the internet, assuming they haven't already.

Ariely brings up an interesting point: we need to have sense of purpose in order to accomplish tasks. It when that sense of purpose is forced away from us that we become restless and indolent. I think that's more optimistic than the idea that our only driving force is money. It does bring up a unique question: why don't we accept money as something as purpose fulfilling, or in a deeper level at least? I'd go on, but that's pushing the limits on BZP rules.

It's a good talk.

EDIT: But I did find the odd combination of a wrongly designed Vakama Hordika and Bohrok Va to be humourous.

Edited by Reckoner, Apr 14 2013 - 09:48 AM.

20121021-frhgn7u158ujtpjk4wbhgp1ck.jpg

what

#4 Offline Rooster Nui

Rooster Nui
  • Members
  • Toa

• 188 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 09:59 PM

That was good talk. I'm actually surprised Bionicle is still mentioned every now and then.  :D 

#5 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,975 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 12:30 AM

EDIT: But I did find the odd combination off a wrongly designed Vakama Hordika and Bohrok Va to be humourous.

That's not a Bohrok Va, that's a Gahlok. :lol:

Sorry.  Lol @ description of "Bionicles" in talk. Very interesting and informative. For all not aware, TED talks mostly deal in economics. (At least, from my experience.)

And yes, he did use Lego fans near the end of the experiment. There's something to the good old "I do this because I like it, based on past experience " versus the "I am going to do this to stay alive." mentality, but that is heightened if you know that the creation is not pointless, is going somewhere, etc. 

14126183966_9690cb0da3_z.jpg

#6 Offline Liopleurodon

Liopleurodon
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 640 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 02:06 PM

Interesting talk...I kinda wish I were paid to build Bionicle figures. :)

-Insert signature here-

#7 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,540 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 11:09 PM

It's very inspirational. Though the Bionicle figures are deformed. They did not build them right.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users