Alex Humva

IC [To Xom]:

"Then do as you will. Keep your path true and avoid the nastier denizens of Chaos." The spirit gestured with a leg at the stone. "Meditate here. I have done all I can for you; here is a place where there is true balance in the world. Find a way to upset that balance." With such cryptic notes as that the spirit began lumbering off once more, this time starting to fade until finally, it was gone from sight.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: The oldest of the shamans in the tribe descended through the crooked paths of the great stone ziggurat, through hollow arches strangled by the questing tendrils of plantlife. She found a spot that had been worn away to the stone beneath dust and soil, so used that the rock was shiny and polished by the repeated step of sandaled feet.

She sat down on that spot and tied her long hair, white as snow, behind her back in a tail stretching down her back. Before her she placed a bowl of water from the river delta, dark with silt, and a plate of berries, bright and red. She crossed her legs and rested wrinkled hands on her knees, took a deep breath, and closed her eyes, relaxing into a peaceful meditation far away from where bustle could disturb her.

"I know you are here, one who is older than I. You are always here. I would talk with you if you so agreed. I have brought offerings if you so desire them. If you don't wish to speak, then, well..." The corners of her mouth turned up in a smile, "I could use the nap."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC [To Power]:

It would be some time later, after the shaman had begun to wonder if her meditation was getting her anywhere, that the earth shook softly. The entire tribe felt the tremor, though it subsided as quickly as it had appeared. From within the confines of the room the light dimmed as dust motes sprang up, filling the air with a hazy mist of dry dirt. In the expected fashion, the room then began to speak.

Disturbed. It came through the shaman's mind, a deep voice caring the weight of the ground beneath her. Practically instantly a headache sprang up, the voice continuing to echo in her head and generally feeling like someone was playing a game of stick ball inside of there. Why.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: The shaman Mouth to Shout would have gulped if the meditation hadn't dried her throat. She'd only been expecting the earth, air or water spirits she normally called up but this...seemed more powerful by quite a large degree.

She should have brought a bigger offering...

"Noble one, I came as a child seeking advice from a parent. I came as a farmer to gather truth from the questions I sow. I came as a subject seeking succour from the lord of this land. I came bearing what I hope you feel are gifts, asking for some small favour in return. Are you content to grant me both answers and boons, or would you rather I let you return to your slumber?"

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC [To Power]:

Insignificant. The voice shook the whole of the ziggurat, though no others could hear it. Words. Meaningless. Understanding. A pause measured by the minutes. Acceptable.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC: Well, they had reached some form of communication. The spirit of the ziggurat seemed to appreciate wordplay even if it didn't particularly like it

"Noble one, you may know of us mortal kind that we are great namers. To creatures of spirit such as you a thing is just a thing, but to us a thing is a thing that is this thing. We see things and must give them definitions, boundaries, limits. But surely even the mighty spirits must have some form of territory. A meagre spirit of wood and tree would not dare impose upon this domain of yours. It is only by your grace that we humble mortals dwell here, however brief our spans may appear to you. Just as the water breaks up the land and the mountains break up the forest, so there must be some means of asserting the true place of a spirit. And in this place your true place would be on top. Would I be right in thinking that, should you so desire it, you would be able to show any presumptuous spirit that assumed to enter this place that they truly belonged below your station?"

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC [To Power]:

Station. No. Power. No. The dust motes continued to swirl around, indicating some sort of unease. Presumption. No. Below. No. Difference. Yes. Territory. Yes.

voidstars.png

IC:

The Shaman stood in the stone circle; she didn't do any of the classic "meditation" ideas, sitting in a pose, or humming. She stood, leaning slightly on her staff, contemplating what the spirit had said; how to upset the balance of the world, and what it had to do with this patch of stone.

Slowly, an idea dawned on her.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC [To Xom]:

The shaman apprentice would stand waiting for some time as the winds whisked around her, contemplating here idea, until she finally noticed something in the corner of her eye. Turning, she would find a large being, sitting cross-legged and looking down at the stone. Her lightly gray skinned fingers (or so the shaman apprentice figured it was a she) were intertwined as the observed the smooth surface intently. She made no gesture to indicate that she had seemingly appeared from no where, instead just choosing to sit there. After a few seconds of awkward silence, she spoke.

"Order, balance, chaos. Abstract ideals, put forward simply because it's what humans associate best with." The being raised an eyebrow, tracing a finger in a circle on the circle. "But it's an apt metaphor, even if it misses the larger picture."

voidstars.png

IC:

The Shaman, wondering if this was another spirit, regarded the figure curiously. "If these are just abstract ideals, is the truth simpler? More real?"

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC [To Xom]:

"Some truths are simpler; this is not one of them." The figure intertwined her fingers once more, continuing the contemplation of the stone. "The truth may be more real, but what good is reality if you cannot comprehend it? To tell a blind man that grass in these plains is pale is worthless. But to tell a blind man that this grass rustles in such a distinctive way..." She listened to that very rustle for a moment. "Well. He may not know what color the plains grass is, but he still knows it is plains grass, does he not?"

voidstars.png

IC:

"We always seek to comprehend that which we cannot understand. We study the beasts who live in the sky, and guess at those in the sea, so that we may better understand the Realm of Blue, so that we may better fight it. Perhaps telling the blind man that the grass is pale, though he knows not what the color means, may tell him that it is dry, and ready to burn and warm his night."

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"This of course assumes that the blind man is capable of making his own fire. I've met a few shamans who could do such a thing, though I regret to say I have yet to find a blind man capable of harvesting grass and burning it without injuring himself in the process." She had now began to draw very precise and very intricate letters onto the stone. "But... you are a shaman, are you not? Unless you were simply talking to thin air. I would dislike it if it turned out you were a raving lunatic."

voidstars.png

IC:

"I rather would, myself." The girl allowed herself a half smile; despite years' discipline training her tongue, she did know that she was funny.

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"Then why are you here shaman? I'm afraid I arrived late in the conversation. Simply enough for me to voice my opinions on human ambiguity, nothing much more. Perhaps you are seeking passage to other worlds? Most who come to contemplate the Stones do."

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC:

"I was actually lead here for that purpose. Do you know how access to these other worlds is gained? And if so, can you teach me?"

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"Humans are of this world, creating balance between the sky and the earth. Yet in a fashion they themselves are balanced by the two so equally pulling on them. Imagine the children's game of rope, if you were in the center trying to pull them towards you yourself. Remove any one party and the whole system breaks down." The being stood, standing at an impressive seven feet, before promptly bending over to begin drawing more inscriptions onto the stone. A brief shine came from under her cloak as it moved, a metallic hilt of a weapon, before it was covered back up. "I do not know how to travel the worlds, no more than a soul can direct itself to the Great Spirit. I can only repeat what my mother has done, and what her mother before her has done, and what her mother before her has done."

voidstars.png

IC:

"You spirits really like reminding us humans how boring we are." The girl, not recognizing the metal as anything interesting since she'd never seen it, peered at the etchings being drawn in the stone.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"Spirit? I'm no spirit girl." The being raised an eyebrow. "If I were, I wouldn't be nearly as warm. Or solid for that matter. Besides, you are neither bored nor boring. If not for humans, this world would not nearly be as complicated as it is. You and your constant imaginations, running wild and being so adorable while simultaneously threatening the whole of existence. You are no more boring than a kitten trying to claw my robe... Do you even know what a kitten is?"

voidstars.png

IC:

"No. Is it some kind of rat? And...what are you, then?"

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:"It's... like a rat I suppose. Bigger. More cat like. What do your people call it, a jaguar? Terrible example but it'll have to do. Small jaguar, a youngling. As to who I am, I suppose your ancestors never told you stories of my kind." The woman by now had practically covered the rock with chalk. "I am Tsel'neu of the Nunnehi. I belong to the the Eastern Wanderers."

voidstars.png

IC:

"I have to convince that none of that made any sense to me at all." The girl said. "Except the bit about the jaguars. And you mean a smaller jaguar cub? Alright then."

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"All we did for you and you let your children forget of us." The nunnehi sighed, standing fully erect and gazing at her handiwork. "Hmm. Not quite a complete picture." She knelt down and, with a quick breath, effortless lifted the massive stone with her hands, then balanced it until it was properly rested on it's side, both faces exposed. The bottom face of it was covered in earth, grim, and various insects, though quite really one would expect any stone's underside to be covered in something similar. She gestured towards the apprentice. "Come here. I want you to try something."

voidstars.png

IC:

Nervous, but smart enough to listen to someone who had just lifted a massive slab of stone and elegantly balanced it on one end, the apprentice stepped next to the Nunnehi.

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"Your knife. I need it." Waiting no longer than that the nunnehi seized the knife as well as the girl's arm, giving a quick poke of the thumb. Smart enough not to apply an open wound to dirt, the woman instead chose to take the drops of blood on her chalk, then rubbing it in a scattered fashion along the stone. An awkward moment passed, the apprentice's arm still being held up, until the nunnehi raised an eyebrow. "Hrm. That was suppose to work."

voidstars.png

IC:

The girl looked around, to see if her surroundings had suddenly changed. "I have a feeling something was supposed to be different?"

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"There should of been a flash of some sort." The nunnehi seemed terribly confused. "I just needed the blood of a human... or was it the blood of a man... why would that matter? It's still blood." The nunnehi let go of the apprentice, starting to pace. "It should of worked, but it didn't. Why?" In timing to rival the ancients, it was then that she turned her head up, noticing something of an oddity that she had previously ignored as a stray cloud. "...Why is part of the sun blackened?"

voidstars.png

IC:

"I"

The girl turned to crane her head, looking at the sun(instinctively glancing at it then away)

"Have"

"No"

"Idea"

"What"

-Rover

IC [To Xom]:

"The ancestors told us tales of this..." The nunnehi seemed honestly fearful. "If the stone isn't functioning, then... something has caused an imbalance. An imbalance in the Upper World." A palm hit her face. "If one of your kind is attempting to enthrall the sun, I will personally hunt them down and thwack them on the head with a fish until they accept their stupidity, then I will feed them to the fish."

voidstars.png

IC:

"I really have no explanation for this at all." The girl was muttering, not looking at the sun but wistfully back at the lake.

-Rover

IC [To Power]:Possible. No. Thought. Wrong. Name. Insignificant. Power. Insignificant.

IC [To Xom]:

"Go, shaman." The nunnehi looked off into the distance as well, though in another direction. "Find your tribe and keep them safe. I have matters of my own to attend to." With that she bolted off, gaining speeds only seen occasionally in galloping horses.

voidstars.png

IC:

Without another word, the shaman took off at a run, back to the lakeshore she'd come from, wishing she had learned to travel quickly; it was a few minutes' run

-Rover

IC [To Power]:

...Yes. Travel. No. Control. Yes. No. Territory. Yes. Travel. No.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC: Fading Night Campsite.A man clothed entirely in white fur sat at a campfire surrounded by two others. One, in a grey fur cloth, whose brown hair was bound in four long ponytails that ran down his back. And another who wore nothing, but brown stripes."Wou? Wou, leh'uah na teh Ti' Aryy Tannoa pah?" asked the one with the brown stripes."Me wou Ti Sahannei wa uh." the one in white replyed immediately."Bou'ahna ta!!" the one with brown stripes shouted and stood."Hou at?" asked the one in white, standing in response to the one in brown as he did so."Houa at? Houa at? Ne aht hou at, we ata shata ka!" said the one in brown, flinging his arms this way and that as he talked." Wou? Wou ta wa teh na?" asked the one in white, hurt written across his suntanned face."Ti' Shoua ah te Aryy, we ye naat. Seh wou?!" asked the one in white before stepping forward, his hurt quickly turning in to anger. " Wa ha aei te yeh wa, se bou'ah!" said the one in brown stripes, eagerly stepping forward to match the one in white."Weh na seia, se ta ah Ti' S'hannoa." said the one in grey, speaking for the first time that night yet still gaining an immediate response." Weah wou tan, se te ahen soan'ah" said the one grey, this recieving a nod from both of the others.[Rough Translation, Wounded Night Dialect. Start]"Who? Who will lead us now that the He Who Unites the Night has passed?" says the one in brown stripes"I will guide us." says the one in white"Blasphemy!" says the one in brown stripes"How?" says the one in white"How? How? Ask me not how, when you should already know." says the one in brown stripes"Who then? Who else is there?" says the one in white" Those Who Guide The Night refuse to, so who?!" the one in white continues"What you say holds no meaning, so blasphemy!" says the one in brown stripes"What goes on here is pointless, only the Decendent of Night can lead us and this you both know." says the one in grey, and both of the others stop to listen" Now stop this bickering, so that we may sleep." says the one in grey

[Rough Translation, Wounded Night Dialect. End]Far away from the campsite, at the edge of the woods, sits a ring of people. At their head, one man speaks." Hayt annt Woun Aryyt, u'aht tant kana gey'ran!' The man shouts, dark red scars running across his chest and back."Han ha'ahr taant, moahl gaht." a bald man replies, his body entirely bare except for blood red carvings across all of his left side." Naht Keyt. Teyh yah aat, k'eyahl kaat, gey'ran ah an kana." another man identical to the one who spoke before him except with carvings on his right side, adds with a toothy grin."Na'al taak ke ta ha hana Wout Arry!" the second bald man says as he points to a girl within the ring of people, inciting immediate laughter."Wouan aat, ke yah ke Ceyt, ka Wou Aryy!" The girl shouts and stands up, fury in her eyes."Moahl, meyh'l ah'l aat." the second bald man laughs in amusement."Seh'l! Ney'l ta wouan aat ka." replies the man at the head of the circle, slapping his chest in excitement at the same time." Ka. He'yta haa aat." The second bald man says, grinning with mirth as he stands up."He'yta haa aat! He'yta haa aat!" The ring of people chants, as the girl and the second bald man, slowly start dancing around each other.

[Rough Translation, The Blood Kin'dred Dialect. Start]

"Look at the Wouded Night, foolish bickering without blood result!" say the first man " pointless bickering, without strength." says the first bald man " Hold Keyt. What they do, is like hunting, without an end in blood." says the second bald man "Na'al is almost as bad the Wounded Night!" says the second bald man "Cowards, such as you Ceyt, must be Wounded Night!" says the girl "Moahl, look at her." says the second bald man " So! Don't be a coward. Go." says the first man "Yes. Let us fight then" says the second bald man "Duel of blood! Duel of blood!." chants the ring of people

[Rough Translation, The Blood Kin'dred Dialect. End]

Edited by Dr. Vengeance

Life comes, and life goes, flowing like the tide.

Peace ebbs, and peace flows, often fleeting just like time.

Love can last, but only so, there isn't much before you die.

People pass, come to and fro. And eventually revenge too, doe lie.

For in the the end, it's only the vengent who lasts forever.

The Vengent Spectre.

IC [To Power]:

Know. No. Why? That was the first time the spirit had actually phrased something as a question, rather than simply a long pause between words.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC [To Power]:

Lie. What can only be described as a thunderous laughter emerged from the earth, softly shaking the village that resided on it. Lie. No. Shaman lie. No. Spirit lie. No. Apparently the spirit had advanced beyond one word thoughts and now had advanced to two words per thought. Trick. Yes. Claim land. No. Disturb spirits. Yes.

voidstars.png