• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

How Many Bindings Can a Brick Sustain?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 940 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 01:08 PM

As anyone who has ever stepped on one knows from experience, the "automatic binding bricks" at the foundation of Lego-based construction can handle a lot of force. But just how many times can one brick be attached to another before it breaks? 37,112 times, according to original research by Phillipe Cantin. His blog of the experiment includes videos of the testing as well as the construction of the testing apparatus.View the full article

#2 Offline Taipu1

Taipu1
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,778 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 02:01 PM

That's a tedious machine if ever I saw one.  Interesting, but ultimately a useless fact, and probably annoying for the guy to have that going 10 days straight. 

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

#3 Offline Dragonstar7

Dragonstar7
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 02:40 PM

That's a tedious machine if ever I saw one.  Interesting, but ultimately a useless fact, and probably annoying for the guy to have that going 10 days straight. 

More like boring. :P

I wouldn't have the patience for that, but it's interesting to see someone actually doing this.

#4 Offline Chronicler of the Ages

Chronicler of the Ages
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 39 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 07:22 PM

I thought it was pretty awesome. But that may be because I have an arduino, and am always on the lookout for cool hacks/projects.

And why not know something so trivial?  B-)

#5 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,291 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 07:34 PM

It seemed that those bricks were from the '70's and already had been used pretty extensively before the test (@ last video). I'm not even sure the number is valid. 

#6 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Hat Enterprises CEO

• 10,916 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 19 2013 - 10:45 PM

[font="Palatino;"]This is certainly an awesome experiment, but I can't help but think that this guy has a little too much time on his hands.[/font]

rotr_banner.png

#7 Offline Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Real Canadian Maple Syrup

• 3,675 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 20 2013 - 11:44 AM

Very cool! I love the machine he built: it's simple, but it gets the job done. A very neat piece of engineering.

<3

#8 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,810 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 20 2013 - 02:52 PM

There's a joke about lime green pieces here somewhere, I just can't think of one.

Also, yeah, this person does probably have too much time on his hands. The number probably differs across bricks of different types, and depends on how violently you like to slam bricks together in the first place. It is kind of an interesting thought experiment, though.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles                                                Era of Conflict Profiles                                    City of Legends Profiles

#9 Offline ~garnira returns~

~garnira returns~
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 796 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 20 2013 - 03:30 PM

There's a joke about lime green pieces here somewhere, I just can't think of one.

*cough cough* hahli *cough* 

Um, well, good to know!

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

My website: http://arra41.wix.com/zaro-nui

crocs.jpg

Come see my chima tribe banners here: http://www.bzpower.c...-chima-banners/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users