Cafe-Corner standard building with Bionicle-based windows

danny316p

I only joined BZPower fairly recently, but I have a few Bionicle-related MOCs that have been at shows, BrickFair, etc, in the past. This one's been around a while and has taken on some damage over the years. I'm yet to dismantle it, and I keep thinking I need to do more with this window technique (based on Bionicle katana blades).

Flickr photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dp3/sets/72157625178465174/

First of all, welcome to BZP!

Onto the MoC...

The use of Bionicle pieces is astounding. The windows actually look like windows! The color scheme could use some work. Functionality/playability is pretty good. I'm assuming that there's more on the inside? (I saw what you did with the box :P )

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Wow, the use of Bionicle parts in the windows there is inspired, the detail on the front of the building is all very food. The back isn't the neatest thing, but its pretty big and you were probably short on bricks to make it one colour, or add windows or anything there.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Those blades really get the job done as the windows.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, welcome to BZP!

Onto the MoC...

The use of Bionicle pieces is astounding. The windows actually look like windows! The color scheme could use some work. Functionality/playability is pretty good. I'm assuming that there's more on the inside? (I saw what you did with the box :P )

At the time I was trying to use all of my dark orange pieces - this was back when dark orange was fairly rare and I wasn't active on BrickLink. I actually like how the zebra-striped part turned out, but the blue doesn't go at all.

I never properly finished the inside. It does have an actual floor and staircase, but the modularity for the floors doesn't work very well. This was one of my first attempts at the Cafe Corner standard and I simply wasn't good at it yet. The way the roofline has worn over time makes accessing the inside even more difficult - before the last show I sent it off to, I actually went ahead and replaced the tiles with plates to seal the inside off (and keep any part from falling off, since I wasn't going to be there to make repairs).

I've gotten lots of feedback about how the windows and high ceiling would go well with a museum, and that would be a nice excuse to build something exotic in minifig scale (such as a dino skeleton). The more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather build a larger building for that sort of thing.

Wow, the use of Bionicle parts in the windows there is inspired, the detail on the front of the building is all very food. The back isn't the neatest thing, but its pretty big and you were probably short on bricks to make it one colour, or add windows or anything there.

I really had no interest in making the backs of buildings look good at the time. I've gotten a little better about this, but most of my city MOCs look pretty bad in the back - I figure that since I tend to use them in dense city blocks, no one can really see the back. Come to think of it, I don't think I had many windows when I built this either (certainly I'd never build the first floor the same way if I did this with parts I had access to today).

I want to revisit the window technique in the future. I was able to get a bunch of the katana blades cheap on BrickLink a few years ago, and I'm thinking about turning them into a small cathedral.

I've gotten lots of feedback about how the windows and high ceiling would go well with a museum, and that would be a nice excuse to build something exotic in minifig scale (such as a dino skeleton). The more I think about it, the more I think I'd rather build a larger building for that sort of thing.

Well, building a dino skeleton is hard... but, go for it! You can do almost anything with lego bricks after all.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

The ground level and the windows are excellent, of course. I would like to see you do something with the roof maybe. Put some tiles or cheese slopes on those exposed studs.

And that dino skeleton idea sounds 

Edited by Valendale