BIONICLE in School Subjects

Kanakalackin

Hi guys. So, while I was strolling through some textbooks, Bionicle names started popping into my head. For example, in Latin, Malum means bad. In Science, I found a tellurium in the periodic table of elements. Have you guys found anything that sounds like BIONICLE in shool?

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Telluride was most likely based of tellerium, a metal related element, as Telluris was part of the iron tribe and iron is also a metal related element in the periodic table. Some other names are based off Latin words as well, but I can't remember which.

Telluride is a real place. It's a town in Colorado. :)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Soh Cah Toa yet. Whenever I think of trigonometry, I think of "wet Bionicles".

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Soh Cah Toa yet. Whenever I think of trigonometry, I think of "wet Bionicles".

That's because you beat me to it :PMata in Spanish is "he kills".

Funny, the Toa code is almost OPPOSITE to killing.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Telluride was most likely based of tellerium, a metal related element, as Telluris was part of the iron tribe and iron is also a metal related element in the periodic table. Some other names are based off Latin words as well, but I can't remember which.

Argh, I meant Telluris. Stupid autocorrect.

Lemme get my Latin Skills here:Aqua Magna = Water HugeMetus = FearMalum ~ Malus = Evil, BadCertavus ~ Certus = CertainSpherus Magna = Giant SphereSolis Magna = Giant Sun

Finally! Someone who speaks English, err, Latin. Now I don't feel alone.

EDIT: Mata Nui also made an indirect reference to the ancient Roman's gladiatorial fights: "You use your best warriors for sport?" The ancient gladiators were for the viewing pleasure of many ancient Roman citizens.

Edited by Phantom Terror

HERE!

• 2 weeks later...

Umbra is Latin for shadow.

There's a taxi firm called T.O.A. and when I first saw them I quoted Matau. ._.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

That's kind of an oxymoron... Seeing that Umbra is purely light.

Which has actually been referenced in-story. His name is supposed to be deceptive, since something's umbra is the darkest part of its shadow.Then again, you need light to cast a shadow...

Yep, them Tangents remind me of BIONICLE every time.

• 2 weeks later...

That's because you beat me to it :PMata in Spanish is "he kills".

Darn! I thought of Soh Cah Toa immediately when I heard this! Haha.

I have seen a lot of Bionicle words in Latin, as many of you have mentioned. I guess Lego thought it was a good idea to use Latin words after they got sued by the Maori people, since there aren't any Latin speaking people to sue them! :lol:

When I first heard of Rapa Nui, I thought it was a Maorian island, but I was surprised to see it was Easter Island's real name. Its funny how Rapa Nui would fit pretty well in the Bionicle storyline. (If you're not familiar with the history of the island, Wikipedia it. Its actually very interesting.)

Bliss.png

I didn't here it in school, but "Gelu" is Latin for frost, and "Metus" is also Latin for something but I'm not sure what. I think all the Bara Magna/Spherus Magna characters have latin names.

Another is Umbra- which is Latin for light.

Edited by Damaracx 7.0

Oh, once again, I didn't hear this in school, but it is academic in a social studies sort of way. While "Rahkshi" are the mechanical slug-in-suit poison the earth kind of creatures we all know and love, "Rakshi" without the "h" is an extremely strong alcoholic beverage from some archipelago that still has ancient tribes in it (I can't remember which). Granted, I doubt Mr. F got the name from that, but it makes you wonder what other names come from.

Edited by ToaOfAwesome

Herro there, person.

How are you?

Oh, once again, I didn't hear this in school, but it is academic in a social studies sort of way. While "Rahkshi" are the mechanical slug-in-suit poison the earth kind of creatures we all know and love, "Rakshi" without the "h" is an extremely strong alcoholic beverage from some archipelago that still has ancient tribes in it (I can't remember which). Granted, I doubt Mr. F got the name from that, but it makes you wonder what other names come from.

Rahkshi- the extremely alcohlic bevarage! Hmmm. seems legit. XD

WARNING: Side effects may include (but are not limited to): A hunched back, metalic plating covering your body, worms sprouting from your face, speach ability inhibited, fear, vaporization of body parts, extreme fevers, and poisoned blood.

Edited by Phantom Terror

HERE!

Oh, I thought that was just a weird thing my dictator-like Geometry teacher uses to remember Trig. Didn't know it was taught everywhere.

WARNING: Side effects may include (but are not limited to): A hunched back, metalic plating covering your body, worms sprouting from your face, speach ability inhibited, fear, vaporization of body parts, extreme fevers, and poisoned blood.

Oh, and don't forget one of 42 different superhuman abilities such as heat beams shooting from your eyes, resistance to cold, chameleon,...

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Oh, I thought that was just a weird thing my dictator-like Geometry teacher uses to remember Trig. Didn't know it was taught everywhere.

>WARNING: Side effects may include (but are not limited to): A hunched back, metalic plating covering your body, worms sprouting from your face, speach ability inhibited, fear, vaporization of body parts, extreme fevers, and poisoned blood.

Oh, and don't forget one of 42 different superhuman abilities such as heat beams shooting from your eyes, resistance to cold, chameleon,...

That depends on which kind you get. I prefer poison. It taste YUMMY. Then again Plasma taste pretty good too....

Bara showed up in my Swedish class. It means only.

Fangirling now because Bara Mana is only a desert and solitude etc., Aqua Magna is just water and Bota Magna = Botany!

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I always think of Pohatu. Becuase he was a "Soccer" Toa. Its stupid but it helped me remember it.

That's kind of an oxymoron... Seeing that Umbra is purely light.

Which has actually been referenced in-story. His name is supposed to be deceptive, since something's umbra is the darkest part of its shadow.Then again, you need light to cast a shadow...

I always thought it was some sort of ironic joke that whoever named him made. Seeing as Latin doesnt exsist in the Bio-verse

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Recently, I was reading a psychology book and encountered a section on the Bionicle experiment BZP reported for the front page. Unfortunately, the distinguished professor dude forgot to consult bonesiii when he wrote it (:P), so the section, aptly entitled "Building Bionicles", contained these gems: (For reference, Bionicle means "biological chronicle", and given that the book was about humans, who are biological...anyway)

Sean showed Joe a Lego Bionicle - a small fighting robot -

This same process will continue in the same way, and for each additional Bionicle you build, you will get eleven cents less, until you decide that you don't want to build any more Bionicles.

Imagine that you are a consultant visiting two Bionicles factories.

The working conditions in the first Bionicles factory are very similar to the [meaningless] condition...After observing the workers' behavior, you would most likely conclude that they don't like Legos much (or maybe they have something specific against Bionicles).

At least he was consistant, however - nowhere in the section does he refer to Bionicle's proper meaning.

I used to find a few things in school subjects. Latin names I encountered in my Latin class were one example: Umbra is the obvious one (they even referenced its real-world meaning in some descriptions of the character), but others include Pelagia (which means of the sea or seafaring in Latin, appropriate for a Ga-Matoran), Telluris (which means of the earth in Latin and is related to many derived terms which have been mentioned here), etc.Really, though, I encountered a lot more BIONICLE terms with real-world meanings during my own independent research into them than in my school subjects. Almost all the Matoran names in the Mata Nui Online Game II were from real-world words and names related to their elements, and the majority of official terms from 2001 likewise had very sensible real-world meanings in languages from Pacific islands (Ignalu has an interesting dual origin: Ignalu is a portmanteau of Ignis, the Latin word for fire, and Nalu, the Hawaiian word for surf or waves).