LEGO School Opening in Denmark

"In the UK you're taught how to pass exams. In Scandinavia you're taught how to think." This seems to be the general idea behind the new LEGO school opening this August in Billund, Denmark. Centered around "inquiry-based learning," the school will teach kids how to think critically and to inspire them to seek out new questions to answer. Ages three to seven are encouraged to enroll, with sixteen-year-olds allowed to join in 2015 or so. This isn't the first time the Kirk Christiansen family has sought to improve their community, and the idea of allowing a child to learn from natural experience is intriguing. You can read more about it here.View the full article

/eyebrowraise If I'm understanding this right, it's not a Lego-only school, but it uses Lego to reinforce what they teach there?Seems interesting.Oh, something else...

"In the UK you're taught how to pass exams. In Scandinavia you're taught how to think."

Pretty sure people don't need to be taught how to think. I think autonomously. >.>

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Completely true about UK schools, the ones I went to at least anyway. A lot of subjects you aren't taught for the sake of intelligence/knowledge, rather it's like you're training to tackle the specific questions that will come up in the exam and don't learn any other application of the subject. I've never seen a journalist utilise "point, quote, comment" for instance...

Edited by Kumata

Tottaly agree about the UK system. GCSE and A-levels may make you remember most possible pointless thing, while other forms like BTEC are scoffed at even though they teach you skills that you will use for the rest of your life.

But yeah, this Lego thing is awesome

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Weird. Well, I could imagine what the architecture and the engineering classes would be like, but how they would teach literature escapes me.

Ever seen a Mindstorms kit play the part of Dogberry?

Anyway, this is certainly one of those things every child dreams of but never really expects to see, but it should be interesting to see how this progresses. I couldn't tell you if there's a large margin of success behind a LEGO school, but I don't see why not. Plus, the fact that educators are finally beginning to realize the importance of hands-on learning means we need more ideas like this.