Autism

This topic is for discussion on Autism. From experience in the old and current forums, I can say of certainty that there is a decent-sized amount of members of this fine site who have it, including myself. Other notable people who had/have or have thought to have had Autism include Albert Einstien, Henry Ford,Bill Gates, Steve Jobs,Beethoven, and Thomas Jefferson, among others. For more info, click here.

Please keep discussion clean and balanced. If you dispute the existence of Autism, only post if you have concrete, scientific evidence.

I have Asperger's syndrome (professionally diagnosed, not just an armchair diagnosis). It makes me feel good in this day and age that people are more aware of autism in its various forms and there's not so much of a stigma against it as there once was.It does, of course, bother me that there are quacks out there trying to present autism as something to be feared, trying to push bad science to convince people it can be prevented or cured, and profiting off of the fear, hysteria, and false hope they generate. But thankfully these people's influence dwindles as real science helps fill in the gaps of our knowledge about autism.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was quite young, but in the last four or five years of my life, I've been teaching myself to "break out of it." For the most part, it worked. Nowadays, the only evidence that I have AS is the fact that it's in many of my medical records. It's really quite something that I've become rather proud of. :)

signoffffff.png

Edited by ~The 1st Shadow~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The thing I hate the most about autism is how easy it is to be convinced you have it... @above: you're acting like it's a gift.

No, I don't think it's a gift at all. It's a part of who I am, but it's not like it has made my life easier by any stretch of the imagination, and it still makes me feel a little sick to my stomach when I see people using it as a putdown (i.e. "such-and-such person/group I dislike is out-of-touch and probably autistic").I'm not saying I was professionally diagnosed as a way of bragging -- I'm saying that because now that AS is becoming more well-known, there are a number of people who think that people who claim to have AS are just jumping on the bandwagon to excuse quirky behavior or poor social skills. So I felt it necessary to add that qualifier so I don't look like I'm just someone who saw something on TV about AS and decided I identified with it.Knowing I have AS helps me to understand why I struggle, but it doesn't let me get out of having to struggle. Unlike some disabilities that cause difficulty in school or the workplace, there really aren't many accommodations that can help a person who struggles with social interaction, and I'm forced to self-advocate. I'm not especially good at it, either -- at the school I just left, I can't say I really knew any of my classmates by name except for my twin brother.My dream is working for The LEGO Group, in part because every time I look at interviews and the like with LEGO employees in the design office, I find that they have happy, fulfilling lives and dozens of meaningful social connections with their co-workers. But lately I've started to wonder whether wanting a piece of this pie is about wanting to improve my position or wanting to be someone I'm not. Even in a workplace with lots of brilliant, creative people who enjoy the same things I do, I might still be an awkward introvert who has difficulty even starting a casual conversation -- or worse, a socially-challenged nerd who people would rather avoid spending time with. Sometimes I cry when I look back at how much time I've spent trying to overcome my social ineptness and how little progress I've made over so many years, and I realize that this is a challenge I might never be able to fully overcome.The reason I find so offensive about people like Andrew Wakefield who peddle bad science for curing or preventing autism is that they're more often than not charlatans who sensationalize how unbelievably awful it is to be or to have a child with autism, which for some sends a terrible message. Lately, some diseases like mumps which were nearly unheard of for decades have made a resurgence because parents are told the vaccines for these diseases cause autism and get the idea that it's better for their kids to be sick or dead than to be autistic. This is an attitude that definitely needs to go away. And this is hardly the first way con artists have managed to profit from the desperation of autistic kids' parents. There are plenty of other "miracle cures" that have been promoted which can do more harm than good.So no, I'm not proud to be on the autism spectrum. If anything I'm just happy that I'm living in a day and age when it is marginally understood and I'm not at risk of being thrown out on the streets, shut up in an institution, or just generally ostracized as an idiot or a deadbeat. And I'm happy that I was able to get a diagnosis that helps me understand what exactly it is that I've been struggling with all my life, instead of having to think of myself as an idiot completely out-of-touch with the rest of the world. It's gratifying to know that there are people who have had similar or worse struggles with social interaction and who have managed to overcome those struggles and become successful. And while I'm not proud of my disability, I'm certainly proud that it's not something I have to hide or be ashamed of. It's just an extra challenge I have to work with, which hopefully comes with at least a few advantages in terms of giving me a different way of thinking to share with the rest of the world.

Yeah, I have Asperger's. I'm told I was only about 6 or 7 when they diagnosed me.

That's very fortunate. I didn't get a proper diagnosis until I was 18 and spent my whole time in grade school trying to figure out exactly why I struggled so much at interacting with my classmates. I got an ADHD diagnosis much earlier, which at least helped me figure out how I could work on things like concentration and time management, but it didn't explain a lot of my "weirdness" and social deficits.

I have Aspergers, and though some people dislike it, I have found that it helps me more than hinders me.

Then again, I can't really say, because this is one of my good days when I'm happy and "Oh rainbows I'm an aspie life is wonderful I have friends," but on other days I want to be cured of this, even though about 99% of my personality is my Autism.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I have it. Everyone in my family has some form of special needs. My mom runs a group called SEAMS. It is for people who have it. Some of the greatest minds had it, Eisenstein, D Vinci, Temple Grandon. All extremely intelligent, and had autism.

That's why I prefer playing with Bionicles over going outside and playing football with my friends or something.

941989_245302795611443_1853177518_n.jpg

I have Aspergers, and though some people dislike it, I have found that it helps me more than hinders me.

Then again, I can't really say, because this is one of my good days when I'm happy and "Oh rainbows I'm an aspie life is wonderful I have friends," but on other days I want to be cured of this, even though about 99% of my personality is my Autism.

You wouldn't have 1% of a personality, though. It'd just become something different than it is now.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I have Aspergers, and though some people dislike it, I have found that it helps me more than hinders me. Then again, I can't really say, because this is one of my good days when I'm happy and "Oh rainbows I'm an aspie life is wonderful I have friends," but on other days I want to be cured of this, even though about 99% of my personality is my Autism.

You wouldn't have 1% of a personality, though. It'd just become something different than it is now.

True, but I don't know many people who would rather have a different personality than their own. Even people whose personalities often get them into trouble don't tend to complain and say "I wish my personality was different". People become attached to the personalities they grew up with, and if they had grown up with different personalities they would be just as attached to those ones.

I have Asperger's syndrome (professionally diagnosed, not just an armchair diagnosis). It makes me feel good in this day and age that people are more aware of autism in its various forms and there's not so much of a stigma against it as there once was.It does, of course, bother me that there are quacks out there trying to present autism as something to be feared, trying to push bad science to convince people it can be prevented or cured, and profiting off of the fear, hysteria, and false hope they generate. But thankfully these people's influence dwindles as real science helps fill in the gaps of our knowledge about autism.

Same Here. I have Aspergers too.

BionicleNYCC-327x252.jpg

:br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:

I was 'diagnosed' with high functioning autism at the age of 10 according to my parents, however, I question the validity of this claim as I do not remember getting diagnosed and I can certainly remember when I was 10, and all it appears to be from my end is a huge amount of social anxiety. To be honest, I don't know who I should believe, my parent who claim to have had me 'diagnosed' with autism but never really took me to a professional (and they would refuse to do so today for a reason I don't think I can mention on BZP) or myself based on my doubts. Obviously, I can't self-diagnose myself.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

It feels sad that many people treat Autistic people(the serious cases) like idiots. I have a schoolmate who has quite a hard form of it, and I feel so sad that the more rowdy students continue to bully him.And I should know him. When I'm BZPing with the school's computer kiosk every morning he uses the other terminal.I myself don't have Autism, but I have some form of ADHD(at least hyperactive from all of my teachers' comments), a mild form of Hyperlexia(Type 3, only has traits of it), and definite OCD. Not really serious, but I'm told that I act funny at times.

Edited by Norik The Blood Elf