Okay, so in order to ask the question this topic is about, I must first ask this:

How big is Spherus Magna? Some rocky planets bigger than jupiter have been discovered in real life, but that just doesn't sound right.

Which brings us to what this is all about:

How do the MU inhabitants not feel an extraordinary - literally bone crushing - difference in their weight once they step out of the MU onto SM, or for that matter, out of the MU onto Voya Nui or Mata Nui?

Obviously Aqua Magna is huge, so big that you can see a full view of a robot the size of a planet stand on the surface without penetrating the atmosphere or altering the orbit even remotely, which is already stretching it, but it is still much smaller than SM! That would mean that just that single chunk of SM would be almost a hundred times larger than Jupiter! If somebody accustomed to living on Aqua Magna was suddenly transferred from there to the MU (how strong is the artificial gravity anyway?) onto SM, they would literally be reduced to a mere puddle, regardless of how metallic their form is. I mean seriously, what the heck is with that? For that matter, how did the Glatorian, Agori, etc. even evolve into a human-like shape, if life could even exist on that planet, it would be short, sturdy, and probably either immobile or like a tissue, able to rip with the slightest movement. Heck, I can't even see intelligent life evolving on a place like that, let alone a life form similar in shape to humans but is much taller with legs that even on earth would be too skinny to carry them without an uncomfortable level of stress. Truth be told, SM shouldn't even exist if that's the case, it would've collapsed under it's own gravity. And what about Solis Magna, the star it orbits? How big would that have to be? It would be like VY Canis Majoris on steroids that are themselves on even more steroids! Please explain this stuff, it makes like... less than no sense.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I'm guessing that the MU has strong gravity, being inside a giant robot and able to stay "intact", like buildings not falling when the robot stands up, so the gravity difference isn too great.The Bionicle universe's physics probably won't be like what we call physics, so that's probably why Aqua Magna stays intact and stuff. It this is all estimations, so I'm just waiting for bonesiii to correct me.

In the past couple hours I've refreshed my knowledge with a strange but nevertheless accurate mix of documentaries, books, and deep thought, I have come up with a scenario as to what should have been the fate of a planet the size of SM (assuming it was somehow miraculously able to form). So here goes:

Basically, shortly after SM forms (about a few seconds, actually), it's gravity starts to grow, it pulls in more and more material, but it's so big, that there's no stopping point. As more material is added to it, more gravity is conducted within it. The gravity soon crushes the rocks to dust, but it is so dense that they all stay together. It packs itself so densely that it becomes smaller until it reaches a certain density. That density probably should be infinite density, which basically means it's a black hole now, but I'll move on pretending that didn't happen because I'm not exactly sure wether or not that would happen so let's pretend that doesn't happen. That said, what happens next is that the gravity is so strong, a phenomena occurs that has never been seen before up close; the gravity, now stronger than ever, compresses the rock until its atoms, forced together in a ball, arrange themselves into a uniform pattern, transforming the young mass of rock into a perfect metal sphere. Seriously, a PERFECT sphere, down to the last atom. After that it basically becomes a cosmic wrecking ball, except instead of smashing into everything, it draws everything into it. All the gas, meteors, etc. scream towards the dense metal ball and plunge into the dense mass, immediately becoming part of it and making it bigger and more dense with every impact, meaning more and more gravity. Eventually it will draw itself into its sun, and then either it will evaporate or its sun (which is already pretty young) will collapse into it and probably do something bad like make it explode or become a black hole or just set it on fire or something. And they all lived happily ever after.

On a much less openly macrocosmic note, thank you Takua Dragonstar7 for your insight on the MU and it's physics, I guess if the GBs could make a planet size robot and fill it with islands they could easily give it artificial laws if physics.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

Huh, if you say it works that way because they say so then they should put some logic into it. JK.About what you said, ToA, I'm not putting your suggestions down but the Bionicle universe isn't our universe, so we don't know how things work in there. I mean, it is possible, If not likely, but things could work differently there. Like maybe Earth-ish gravity in a large, SM sized planet.

You're right, maybe they're actually in a different universe than ours where the laws of physics apply differently. It would be cool to go through an in-depth thing, like it turns out their universe lies within the singularity of a black hole, or maybe... you know what, I won't keep confusing people with my rambling, maybe later I'll make a status about it that people can comment on or something, or maybe even go all out make a google site or something especially for debating the science and possibilities of this (I gotta right that one down!), I dunno.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I guess the reason that there is no difference between the MU's gravity and SM's is that the GB's will have used SM's gravity as a standard when designing the MU.

Like, if humans were to make artificial gravity on a space station, we would set it so that it was roughly equal to Earth's gravity, just because that's what we're used to.

That doesn't explain, however, why Matoran on Mata Nui weren't bouncing around like humans on the moon. If anyone can solve that one, I'd be very interested to hear how.

ppg2.png

The core of Spherus Magna was Energized Protodermis, so that might have adjusted things. The Matoran Universe had artificial gravity, so it was probably tuned to use SM's gravity for simplicity. How things have gone after the reformation, though, is another matter entirely. Perhaps the lack of EP in the core now leaves a sufficient hole to prevent the cataclysmic gravity crush you describe.What is most likely, however, is simply the fact that "sci-fi writers have no sense of scale". Take a look at Mata Nui's height. That little tidbit alone has been debated back and forth, since the given size is one thing while the apparent planet size and the distance from ground to upper atmosphere is another size entirely. When Mata Nui and Makuta fought, their titanic sizes didn't seem to cause much damage down below either.

I'm a little surprised with so many references to me, considering this has been discussed several times in recent topics, nobody pointed out the theory I've given many times, which is simply that something in the rock of Spherus Magna, and later its three fragments, absorbs gravity over Earthlike level. So all "four" planets (counting its full megaplanet original size and its later parts) generate much more than Earth gravity, but no gravity over Earth level is felt. The same is presumably the case for the alien planets Mata Nui landed on, since he is that huge and his camouflage system was designed for those other planets.

This would simply and easily resolve all known difficulties so far, giving all the planets the same gravity regardless of size. The MU internal artificial gravity would be set to Earthlike level as well.

To explain it I have proposed that the EP in the core transformed rock around it to have this property. And as a separate sub-theory, the transformed material that does this might in fact be exsidian, since it's the only other substance beyond normal real-world matter mentioned to exist on SM. I also have proposed that this substance in trace amounts imparts incredible strength to SM's bedrock, as a side effect of the gravity absorption (like using that as the power source for this effect), explaining the planet's resilience against giant robots standing on it, etc.

BTW, there have been Jupiter-sized rock planets discovered? :P Say what? That's certainly news to me, if true. Are you sure? I know that we know of extrasolar Jupiter-sized planets, but these are detected by wobbles as far as I know, not actual sighting, so we don't know what they're made of, and almost certainly are gas giants like ours. You might be thinking of the discovery that many of these giants orbit closer to their stars than our gas planets, in the same basic region as our rock planets do. This tells us nothing per se about composition, although they might have more rock in their cores. Anywho, sorry if that's too off-topic.

And yes, it is Bionicle physics, so regardless of what explanation there would be if the story team bothered to make one, it can make sense because we simply cannot assume that gravity even works the way it does here. It's possible the Bionicle universe itself has an innate rule against rocky planets having more gravity than Earth regardless of size. (Or possibly any large mass; I'm assuming Solis Magna does have huge gravity but who knows?)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Ok i will admit i like the idea that the Energized protodermis core must be affecting the gravity, I mean it is a logical explanation aside from It's bionicle physics

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Ah, Bionicle physics... or rather, Bionicle lack-of-physics... :P

That doesn't explain, however, why Matoran on Mata Nui weren't bouncing around like humans on the moon.

I need this to happen. Now.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

@The Lorax

Okay, that makes sense, but wouldn't Bara Magna have much less gravy (add an 'it' in there, autocorrect is being stupid :P). In that case wouldn't something happen to the Glatorian and Agori? They'd go all John Carter on us.

@Katuko

Well the crush I describe would have happened right after the planet formed, not long enough for the core war to take place.

@Bonesiii

Whew, a long explanation finally. Lets do this! Iku ze! (Quote if you play Spectrobes!) The process of what Energized Protodermis does to rocks is cool. Its kind of like some kind of inverted dark matter. As for findings of Jupiter size rock planets, I'm pretty sure I saw it on Nasa.gov or something when I was doing a research project in the sixth grade on Kepler-22B. Exsidian being both strong and light is also cool, like titanium, (but I don't think titanium effects gravity quite that way). However, I wasn't worried about damage inflicted upon planets by the Mata Nui Robot (but thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought of it), but instead I was thinking of how the orbit of the planet would be effected by the gravitational field of the Mata Nui Robot, which is, as stated before, roughly the size of the Earth.

@Vox

Yeah, it is logical. I can't believe I didn't take EP into account first thing, but still, when exactly did EP come into the equation, people? Was it there since the beginning of SM, or did it come in at a later time?

@Chro

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I'd argue against Bones his theory with another of Bones theories: EP corroded most pf the corre of SM making it hollow, the only reason it didn't colapse was that excidian was made, securing the downmost layers of the planet.Another Theory why MUians weren't seem to walk on lower Gravity: They were on the side of AM facing away of BM also I thing AM, BM and BotaM were in one straight line, so the fact BM and Bota M were also pullin on everything what was located on AM combined with the robot providing extra weight must've made not mich of a difference to actual SM gravity(assuming GB's toned down Gravity a bit for Power reasons)

I'm back!

I'd argue against Bones his theory with another of Bones theories: EP corroded most pf the corre of SM making it hollow, the only reason it didn't colapse was that excidian was made, securing the downmost layers of the planet.

Since "real" physics and Bionicle physics are different, we don't know how big the core of SM is. Second, exsidian was already on SM, not made. And we don't know how far it was found underground, so we don't know if there was enough/deep enough to support SM.

@The Lorax

Okay, that makes sense, but wouldn't Bara Magna have much less gravy (add an 'it' in there, autocorrect is being stupid :P). In that case wouldn't something happen to the Glatorian and Agori? They'd go all John Carter on us.

@Katuko

Well the crush I describe would have happened right after the planet formed, not long enough for the core war to take place.

@Bonesiii

Whew, a long explanation finally. Lets do this! Iku ze! (Quote if you play Spectrobes!) The process of what Energized Protodermis does to rocks is cool. Its kind of like some kind of inverted dark matter. As for findings of Jupiter size rock planets, I'm pretty sure I saw it on Nasa.gov or something when I was doing a research project in the sixth grade on Kepler-22B. Exsidian being both strong and light is also cool, like titanium, (but I don't think titanium effects gravity quite that way). However, I wasn't worried about damage inflicted upon planets by the Mata Nui Robot (but thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought of it), but instead I was thinking of how the orbit of the planet would be effected by the gravitational field of the Mata Nui Robot, which is, as stated before, roughly the size of the Earth.

@Vox

Yeah, it is logical. I can't believe I didn't take EP into account first thing, but still, when exactly did EP come into the equation, people? Was it there since the beginning of SM, or did it come in at a later time?

@Chro

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Well, I also had a theory as a topic that EP was seeded on multiple planets that used to be normal rock planets by "Original Beings" (as I called them), and in that initial stage it transformed those planets into megaplanets (and perhaps originated the lifeforms on each planet).

I'd argue against Bones his theory with another of Bones theories: EP corroded most pf the corre of SM making it hollow, the only reason it didn't colapse was that excidian was made, securing the downmost layers of the planet.Another Theory why MUians weren't seem to walk on lower Gravity: They were on the side of AM facing away of BM also I thing AM, BM and BotaM were in one straight line, so the fact BM and Bota M were also pullin on everything what was located on AM combined with the robot providing extra weight must've made not mich of a difference to actual SM gravity(assuming GB's toned down Gravity a bit for Power reasons)

Well, when I said that I didn't have in mind enough hollowness to account for the sameness of gravity. It does seem that the core must be hollow after the Shattering, though, just because it used to have EP, and apparently that whole collection of EP exploded. But I was thinking like 5% hollow, not enough to be noticeable in terms of gravity.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)