Board Games?

That's actually a very good question that I never thought about. Only thing that comes to mind is that in Comic 24: Shadow Play, Roodaka has what appears to be a type of game board and players that look like the Hordika, Visorak, and Sidorak

To me, Roodaka's "board game" seems more like a planning thing, like to plan who's going to die first, etc.Anyway, games could of been played, maybe in places like Stelt, I guess. I don't think Matoran would have time or will to play them, they are usually working of playing sports.

That's actually a very good question that I never thought about. Only thing that comes to mind is that in Comic 24: Shadow Play, Roodaka has what appears to be a type of game board and players that look like the Hordika, Visorak, and Sidorak

To me, Roodaka's "board game" seems more like a planning thing, like to plan who's going to die first, etc.Anyway, games could of been played, maybe in places like Stelt, I guess. I don't think Matoran would have time or will to play them, they are usually working of playing sports.

Well, looking through the comic again, she mentions the idea of a game. It seems more like she's using an actual boardgame as a visual metaphor.

It would be fun to try to figure out what the origin and rules of that game might be. It's possible she or someone else carved them to reference the current situation, but personally it would be more fun if it was a cultural board game from a lot farther back in history.

Maybe it has a bunch of pieces of different species, more than just what is shown there, in multiple colors, and she just set out the ones matching one elite red Steltian and six Toa. Presumably there would be some way to determine what spaces they move to. The hexagon shape could be explained easily since that's common in the Matoran Universe. And either moving to the center or to the outer edge would likely be the goal.

On the other hand, the segmented hexagon clearly looks like a spider's web, so that may be evidence for the "based on Visorak" or "just a planning thing" theories. :shrugs:

To topic question, IMO such games probably would be likely. The Turaga also used symbolic stones to tell stories and that might have been inspired by a board game or something similar. Maybe even "sand games" instead of rigidly defined boards. There was a game in a later Dinotopia book which was basically verbal roleplaying with some basic rules -- maybe the Amana circle was inspired by a Matoran game similar to that?

And just in general, they live so long, yagotta assume they made something for entertainment and exercising of the mind besides sports. All those carvers have to be making something besides city decorations, right? :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

:confused:

I don't know... I think the Matoran were too athletic for board games.

Same here, i didn't think they could do a game that involves just sitting around. I mean it seems they all love to do sports.

They certainly could play a game. I would think it would defeat the fun of sports if that's all you had available to pass the time. It would get old fast, and it also requires someone else to be available to play the other side. More likely Matoran have thousands of ways to pass the (incredibly long) time, in their freetime, including sports. Whether board games or the like is part of it is not necessary, but even the most athletic human will enjoy a board game from time to time, so no reason to assume they aren't.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I could see some lonely Ko-Matoran playing a board game all by themselves...

But I could see it as a definite possibility.

To me, Roodaka's "board game" seems more like a planning thing, like to plan who's going to die first, etc.

Love that line. But I agree with him, the possible "board game" in that comic looks more like a military strategy thing.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'd be surprised if they didn't have any sort of board-game. Sure, they have sports, but even that gets old sometimes. And what do you do on your coffee-break, eh? ha ha. In fact, there's a scene in a fan-fic of mine where everything has been rained out, and a few of the characters are playing a Matoran variation of Chinese Checkers to pass the time. I also don't doubt that every Koro/Metru could have it's own board-game(s). You know, games that fit the general disposition of each breed/Element.For kicks:Ko- and Ga-Matoran -- Clue/Cluedo, chess, Stratego, Senet, etc.Onu- and Po-Matoran -- Chinese Checkers, cards and Jenga? XDTa-Matoran -- Battleship and D&D.Le-Matoran -- Twister and Candy Land. *shot*

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I could see Ga-matoran playing scrabble :D

I think they would get tired of all that khohlii? I think matoran prabobly have board games, even if it hasn't been mentioned. I can picture it now, each matoran takes a game peice that represents each toa, and see who can destoy makuta fastest in a moc battle.

Edited by Mairanui

2xu8Ptu.png

I'd be surprised if they didn't have any sort of board-game. Sure, they have sports, but even that gets old sometimes. And what do you do on your coffee-break, eh? ha ha. In fact, there's a scene in a fan-fic of mine where everything has been rained out, and a few of the characters are playing a Matoran variation of Chinese Checkers to pass the time. I also don't doubt that every Koro/Metru could have it's own board-game(s). You know, games that fit the general disposition of each breed/Element.For kicks:Ko- and Ga-Matoran -- Clue/Cluedo, chess, Stratego, Senet, etc.Onu- and Po-Matoran -- Chinese Checkers, cards and Jenga? XDTa-Matoran -- Battleship and D&D.Le-Matoran -- Twister and Candy Land. *shot*

Funnily enough, they probably do play a form of Twister. At least, I think.

WIP

Ta-Matoran -- Battleship

Jaller: "Place shots at A2, E4 and F4."Takua: "Darn, you hit one of my Gukko at A2 and finally sunk the Ga-Matoran boat at E4."

and D&D.

Vakama: "I need you to roll a Reflex save."Nuju: *click whistle*Matoro: "He says he got a 2."Vakama: "Hm. The Nui-Jaga strikes with its tail, which you unfortunately fail to dodge." *Rolls die* "Take 15 damage, putting you at -1. Your mask shatters and you fall unconscious."Nuju: "..."Vakama: "Oh, I almost forgot the poison damage. *Rolls die*Nuju: *whistle click* *hand gesture*Matoro: "Turaga! I cannot translate that!"

Le-Matoran -- Twister

With those stubby limbs? I don't think so. :lol:I can see some form of simple board game being played, but nothing too organized. Something that could be played with rocks in the sand, sure, or maybe carved pieces. I think they'd be too busy on Metru Nui to play all that many games beyond Akilini etc.

Le-Matoran -- Twister

With those stubby limbs? I don't think so. :lol:

Exactly. XD"Ten widgets says they all go down like a house of cards in under three turns.""You're on."

Ta-Matoran -- Battleship

Jaller: "Place shots at A2, E4 and F4."Takua: "Darn, you hit one of my Gukko at A2 and finally sunk the Ga-Matoran boat at E4."

>and D&D.

Vakama: "I need you to roll a Reflex save."Nuju: *click whistle*Matoro: "He says he got a 2."Vakama: "Hm. The Nui-Jaga strikes with its tail, which you unfortunately fail to dodge." *Rolls die* "Take 15 damage, putting you at -1. Your mask shatters and you fall unconscious."Nuju: "..."Vakama: "Oh, I almost forgot the poison damage. *Rolls die*Nuju: *whistle click* *hand gesture*Matoro: "Turaga! I cannot translate that!"

Beautiful. *dies laughing*

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |