The Golden Minifigure

With the release of the new Series 10 Minifigures, LEGO has added an interesting twist to the task of the collector: a rare minifigure called Mr. Gold! This gold-painted, top-hat sporting figure has been randomly inserted into packages of Series 10 Minifigures now in circulation worldwide, so there's a chance you might find him if you're lucky. Click the link above to view the full announcement, along with a map showing where other people have already found Mr. Gold around the world. Only 68 have been found so far, so be on the lookout!View the full article

I know a lot of AFOLs are up in arms about this because it's super rare and causes collectors to go to the extremes to get it, thus making things worse off for others or something. (Such as people buying out the stock of figs just to find a gold guy, making it harder for the average fan to get ahold of them.) They complain as if this is the first time LEGO has ever pulled off this gimmick... but really, anybody remember the sterling silver krana kal? :P

Anyway, it's a neat idea to make money, but I'm not too sure about it. The fig doesn't even look that impressive IMO. I'll be interested to see how this all turns out.

:music:

Do you also get access to the Lego Factory if you win one?

Also, prepare for the flamewar this will cause.

Edited by Vahki-Nui

8% of the people epically wins with comic making. If you are the 92% that fails at it, copy and paste this into your sig

100% of people here are humans. If you are somehow a matoran, pate this in your sig.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9187

This I'll definitely be looking for. My family loves looking for these little guys, and we seem to have a talent for finding the right ones. By the way, Brickqueen on youtube got one like, one day after the series came out... Talk bout lucky! She has everything!

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'm wondering if the minifigure just looks gold or is actually gold, as in the case of the gold C-3POs.

:D That's exactly what I was thinking.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I wonder how many Mr Golds there are in total. I imagine that even though he is super rare there would probably be at least a couple hundred out there in all. That would be my guess.

But anyway, I'll keep my eye out for him.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm wondering if the minifigure just looks gold or is actually gold, as in the case of the gold C-3POs.

I'm pretty sure it's just painted, real gold might not last the shipping and all.

I'm pretty sure it's just painted, real gold might not last the shipping and all.

It's basically the same as all chrome gold (Metallized Gold) LEGO parts. So no; not real gold. A good thing, too. A real gold figure would not take any effort at all to identify — you could tell by weight alone if a package contained Mr. Gold.

It's certainly hard enough to get minifigures reliably due to all the scalpers, but I'll certainly keep a feel out for Mr. Gold. There's only a couple of minifigs in this series that interest me anyway, so, if anything, this is a good incentive to pay attention.

AXKP5KC.png

I just came back from my first hunt for Mr. Gold at my local Toys-r-us. Didn't find him, as you might expect, but I didn't come home empty-handed. I got the paintball player, still a cool figure! :)

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Well, I knew this would be rare, but I wasn't sure how rare! Man, so much hype over a brutaka-gold minifig...

It's chromed gold.

Anyways, Lego stores suck at having Mr. Golds, I heard. Why? Because the employees feel the bags and get first dibs on buying possible Mr. Golds before they even hit the shelves. It's probably better to go somewhere like Toys R Us or something.

aouROFb.png

My only motive for finding and buying Mr. Gold would be just so I can not tell anyone on the internet I have him, throwing all the fanatic AFOLs into a panic looking for THE VERY LAST MR. GOLD after the other 999 have been found... not knowing it lies in my possession the whole time.

Series 15 or 20 will have another gimmick of some sort. I'll try then. Like... Mrs. Gold...?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Series 15 or 20 will have another gimmick of some sort. I'll try then. Like... Mrs. Gold...?

Actually, from what I've read, I think Lego plans to have a "chase figure" like this for all future series. So you won't even have to wait that long.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If I got one, I would sell it, even though I am a great Lego collector, $800 is just to much money to pass up!http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Series-10-Mr-Gold-Minifigure-71001-/121109023774?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item1c32a90c1e

I'd hold off on selling it if I were you. Even if you intend to sell, I imagine the value's only going to go up once series 10 is gone from stores.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really like the map, because it shows not only how many Mr. Gold minifigs have been found (nearly 800, as of this post), but also shows how many have been found in each country and U.S. state/territory. The concentrations across the world are pretty clear by this point.

It seems we're far more likely to see Mr. Gold in North America, Europe, and Australia than in South America, Africa, and Asia. Just one in Brazil, two in China, and four across all of Africa. At the same time, 28 have been found in Australia (the country, not including the surrounding island nations), 150 in the United Kingdom (plus one more in Guernsey), and (adding up all the U.S. states and territories) 297 in the United States.

I find it interesting that these concentrations (at least in the U.S.) seem to reflect population densities. For example, Calfornia, most populated state, also has the most Mr.Gold minifigs, at 44; while thinly populated states like Wyoming, North Dakota, and Alaska have not yet found any Mr. Gold minifigs. I honestly can't wait to see what the final tally will be once all 5000 have been found. B-)

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I really like the map, because it shows not only how many Mr. Gold minifigs have been found (nearly 800, as of this post), but also shows how many have been found in each country and U.S. state/territory. The concentrations across the world are pretty clear by this point.

It seems we're far more likely to see Mr. Gold in North America, Europe, and Australia than in South America, Africa, and Asia. Just one in Brazil, two in China, and four across all of Africa. At the same time, 28 have been found in Australia (the country, not including the surrounding island nations), 150 in the United Kingdom (plus one more in Guernsey), and (adding up all the U.S. states and territories) 297 in the United States.

I find it interesting that these concentrations (at least in the U.S.) seem to reflect population densities. For example, Calfornia, most populated state, also has the most Mr.Gold minifigs, at 44; while thinly populated states like Wyoming, North Dakota, and Alaska have not yet found any Mr. Gold minifigs. I honestly can't wait to see what the final tally will be once all 5000 have been found. B-)

It also probably has a lot to do with which areas ordered more of Series 10. From what I've heard, Lego in general can be harder to find in South America, for instance. I don't know how much Lego may intentionally skew distribution of Mr. Gold, but even if they kept it completely random, some of the areas you identified as receiving very few would still probably receive less overall.

I wonder how many Mr Golds there are in total.

5000. It's written here, on the bottom right corner of the map.

Wow, that is more than I thought there would be. I was expecting there to be only one or two thousand made for production, but five thousand is an even better number than those.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well... The great hunt will start riiiight NOW

I took a look at how many was found and it show that only one person found Mr. Gold in Kansas so hope i get lucky as well.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube