Why do you hate galidor soo much?

toa electro

If you're unaware, Galidor was over ten years ago. I think referring to it in the present tense is a little misleading.

And comparing it to Hero Factory is ridiculous. Hero Factory sets use Lego parts, Galidor 'sets' were basically some limbs snapped together onto body pieces without studs, socket joints or beams.

As to why it was hated - the products had nothing to do with Lego, and the show they were taken from was dreadful. The whole thing was simply a mistake.

Edited by Sir Kohran

While they do use the same type of click joints, Kohran is right- they were much more different from regular Lego than anything like Bionicle or HF. And there tends to be conflict over most licensed themes anyway, from my experience.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Galidor was an interesting experiment, and I think the show was fairly clever. I do agree that the toys do not get the credit they deserve: while they were somewhat weak as building toys, they were fairly strong designs as action figures.The real problem, though, was that they were high-detail action figures with somewhat limited articulation and LEGO prices. That definitely didn't bode well for the theme. They also veered heavily from the traditional creative values of the LEGO brand, meaning that they do not occupy a very fortunate position in the history of the LEGO brand as a whole. The whole theme seems to have been a result of The LEGO Group seeing success in the constraction category and thinking they could better reach that category's audience with more traditional action figure offerings. This obviously didn't prove to be the case.Also, a reminder to people posting here: Galidor was not a licensed theme in the traditional sense. The show itself was heavily planned and funded by the LEGO Group, and even the character names show conspicuous Danish influence — the name "Bluetooth" and the name "Gorm" are both references to historical Danish royalty.

There's a big difference between "hating" something and "not finding it appealing." Galidor's pieces were, for most purposes, far too specific. Making a MOC that looked like anything other than "glinching" was impossible, with just Galidor pieces (although all pieces have some redeeming value if we have enough imagination, and if mixed with other LEGO pieces they can add good style). This really isn't comparable at all to Bionicle's style, or HF, etc.

And also, a big reason we refer to it often is not to express personal dislike so much as to point to it as a failed experiment. It was ended for a reason -- maybe it was good to experiment with it but now we have a result, and the conclusion is, "Don't do something like that again, it doesn't work." :)

As for Knight's Kingdom, it was fairly similar, and ended, and I never liked it much either. But if you're going to reference a principle, it's obviously most sensible to refer to the most extreme example of what confirms it ("don't do that"), and Galidor showed it more so than Knight's Kingdom.

Another big part of it is that the theme ideas themselves had so much potential, it was disappointing to see largely unattractive sets be used for it, in place of far better, more buildable and MOCable options like what we got with the Bionicle/HF style of system. I think we can all imagine far cooler sets that could have been made for those themes!

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I agree with everyone it wasn't a the greatest theme but it was cool and yes it wasn't as compatible with Lego, but you could make it work if u wanted too,And how is the title misleading?

Galidor was an interesting experiment, and I think the show was fairly clever. I do agree that the toys do not get the credit they deserve: while they were somewhat weak as building toys, they were fairly strong designs as action figures.The real problem, though, was that they were high-detail action figures with somewhat limited articulation and LEGO prices. That definitely didn't bode well for the theme. They also veered heavily from the traditional creative values of the LEGO brand, meaning that they do not occupy a very fortunate position in the history of the LEGO brand as a whole. The whole theme seems to have been a result of The LEGO Group seeing success in the constraction category and thinking they could better reach that category's audience with more traditional action figure offerings. This obviously didn't prove to be the case.Also, a reminder to people posting here: Galidor was not a licensed theme in the traditional sense. The show itself was heavily planned and funded by the LEGO Group, and even the character names show conspicuous Danish influence the name "Bluetooth" and the name "Gorm" are both references to historical Danish royalty.

If have to agree with you, you give some good points, it was very creative at the time, they do deserve some credit for effort and originality

I personally regret getting any of the toys (since, honestly, they're not all that useful for MOCing on the whole), but I didn't hate the show. In fact, I wish Lego would make it available in some way (either DVD or digital download). It was an interesting period in Lego's history, even if it was unsuccessful and, in the eyes of many, a step in the wrong direction.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

And how is the title misleading?

I didn't say the title was, I said the tense (of your post). I don't think you should talk about something that's been dead for more than ten years in terms like "it's not". But it hardly matters as everyone here seems aware of how old it is.

If have to agree with you, you give some good points, it was very creative at the time, they do deserve some credit for effort and originality

Average human kid gets thrust into good vs evil conflict full of ridiculous-looking humanoids and cheesy dialogue? What's original about that?

XD u forgot the part where he can mimic others body parts and how that would be feasible with a Lego toy more than any other hasbro or Kenner figure, the characters were original with the way they looked and spoke and so was the story,But of course don't compare it to Bionicle cause then everything else seems chliche and used.

Neither the characters or the story were original. The show was basically Digimon meets Doctor Who.

Galidor doesn't even deserve to be compared to Bionicle. Bionicle was an organised, coherent universe with an interesting and intriguing story, and was - at least at that particular point - highly engaging and effective in its delivery.

Lol wants even comparing Bionicle to galidorI in fact was saying dont compare it because nothing will come even close.I think u are misunderstanding what I'm saying bro :P

I think I'm not. You said not to compare it to Bionicle, I said it didn't deserve to be compared to Bionicle. So if anything I was agreeing with you.

As for whether anything can come close to Bionicle, the Star Wars saga, Tolkien's stories, various other fantasy novels are all in my opinion equal to or better than Bionicle's story. That had a brilliant premise and was told well for about half the line's life, but it quickly became needlessly complex and difficult to follow, and was often hampered by the fact that it had to promote a handful of sets every year, rather than stand on its own.

The reason so many people hate Galidor is that its way too easy to build, doesn't use the lego system at all, and the T.V. show was rather stupid, if you ask me. I've never actually seen any of the sets unless you count Mc. donalds Gorm, so I don't currently have an opinion on the obscure series.

Edited by Enax the epic

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Lol wants even comparing Bionicle to galidorI in fact was saying dont compare it because nothing will come even close.I think u are misunderstanding what I'm saying bro :P

I think I'm not. You said not to compare it to Bionicle, I said it didn't deserve to be compared to Bionicle. So if anything I was agreeing with you.

As for whether anything can come close to Bionicle, the Star Wars saga, Tolkien's stories, various other fantasy novels are all in my opinion equal to or better than Bionicle's story. That had a brilliant premise and was told well for about half the line's life, but it quickly became needlessly complex and difficult to follow, and was often hampered by the fact that it had to promote a handful of sets every year, rather than stand on its own.

The reason so many people hate Galidor is that its way too easy to build, doesn't use the lego system at all, and the T.V. show was rather stupid, if you ask me. I've never actually seen any of the sets unless you count Mc. donalds Gorm, so I don't currently have an opinion on the obscure series.

Edited by toa electro

I have never even heard of Galidor, nor I have no what it is. :(

Galidor was based off a short lived Fox Kids TV show, they made deal with LEGO to make sets to promote the show. They used something like Bionicle to build them, but it was unsuccessful. You can tell as they were very ugly sets. Here's what I mean:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8310-1.jpg

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8311-1.jpg

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8313-1.jpg

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8317-1.jpg

I have never even heard of Galidor, nor I have no what it is. :(

Galidor was based off a short lived Fox Kids TV show, they made deal with LEGO to make sets to promote the show. They used something like Bionicle to build them, but it was unsuccessful. You can tell as they were very ugly sets. Here's what I mean: http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8310-1.jpg http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8311-1.jpg http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8313-1.jpg http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8317-1.jpg

The building system was actually more akin to the later Knight's Kingdom action figures than Bionicle. As for how "ugly" they are, I think that altogether they were decent action figures, even if they had little in common with traditional Lego. In fact, one could argue that they were higher-quality than a number of action figures on the market, due to Lego's quality control. Unfortunately, some of them (most notably Nepol) failed to accurately depict the characters, at least not in the first sets that came out.

People hate Galidor because they think the sets are terrible compared to any other Lego set ever made. Because there aren't a lot of pieces, the pieces are large and the they think the characters look odd. (They're supposed to look odd because they're creatures from another dimension!) Plus, they hate the Galidor TV series simply because it's cheesy. (If you've never heard of the Series look it up and watch it.)

Personally, I DON'T hate Galidor. :D I've loved it since I was 5. When you're at such a young age, you don't know how 'dumb' some toys are. And you don't even know how 'cheesy' some shows are. :notsure: That's why I instantly fell in love with the Toys and the TV series. You have to like the TV series in order to like the Toys. I even enjoyed playing the computer game Galidor Quest. Ever since then, i've always been a huge fan of Galidor. It's too bad the Lego.com workers got rid of Galidor. They're a bunch of stupid, heartless, ignorant blockheads! :burnmad: :madgo: :censored: I loved Galidor like a brother... With that being said, just remember that NOT EVERYONE HATES GALIDOR! There are thousands of Galidor fans out there. :satisfied: Only hardcore Bionicle fans hate Galidor because they believe Bionicle is better.

Unfortunately, Galidor is dead. :( Because the Galidor TV series went off the air in 2003, Lego.com got rid of galidor.com in 2004, Large Animal Games got rid of Galidor Quest this year, :bigeek: the Galidor fan site died, and NO ONE agreed to help create a new Galidor website. :glare: Looks like Galidor is gone forever... Oh well. It was fun while it lasted, right?

Edited by Booman7736

Only hardcore Bionicle fans hate Galidor because they believe Bionicle is better.

Ummm, I agree there were good things about Galidor, but there are lots of other reasons to dislike it. There are plenty of adult fans of LEGO who always hated BIONICLE (It was a bit of a reality check when I saw someone say this sort of thing in a post just this month on another site) and hate Galidor for pretty much the same reason: they think action figure sets using large, specialized detail elements aren't "true LEGO" and prefer more basic, abstract building systems like System and Technic.There are also people who dislike both BIONICLE and Galidor from a storytelling perspective. These are typically the people who dislike story themes in general and who think the LEGO Group should only create the loosest story framework possible so that kids are free to make up their own stories with the toys based on their own experiences and imaginations. Alternatively, they are people who think that the LEGO Group should not produce multimedia platforms to support their themes because it distracts from their core mission of creating quality toys.It's very easy to stereotype people who disagree with you, but in truth, just as there are usually many different reasons to like something, there are often just as many reasons to dislike something.

Although I never owned a Galidor set in my life, I do know that they were LEGO that lacked quality. LEGO is built (pun not intended) upon quality, as its founder, Ole Kirk Christiansen had originally wanted all along. See, Galidor didn't capture Ole's vision of LEGO, therefore, Galidor shouldn't even be real LEGO. I'll bet the LEGO Company was bribed to make the toys; as a result, "LEGO" Galidor had wandered off the path known as "Ole's Dream of Quality".

mindeth the cobwebs

Although I never owned a Galidor set in my life, I do know that they were LEGO that lacked quality. LEGO is built (pun not intended) upon quality, as its founder, Ole Kirk Christiansen had originally wanted all along. See, Galidor didn't capture Ole's vision of LEGO, therefore, Galidor shouldn't even be real LEGO. I'll bet the LEGO Company was bribed to make the toys; as a result, "LEGO" Galidor had wandered off the path known as "Ole's Dream of Quality".

The one Galidor set I had was of superb quality. There were no faults in the molds, nor in the printing, and the parts were incredibly durable. I don't know what you're talking about in terms of the sets being low quality, unless you're judging the whole theme by the McDonalds toys or something.One could argue that the high quality of the figures was part of the the theme's downfall. Very few people would buy what was essentially a traditional action figure when they had the high prices associated with Lego's standard of quality.In any case, you can't always refer to the past to make judgments about what should be done in the present. If Lego had stuck blindly to their "core values" as they existed when Ole Kirk started the company, there would be no green or gray Lego bricks, among other things (since Lego's anti-military policy once extended so far as to avoid these colors altogether, for fear kids would use them to build tanks and other military vehicles).

The one Galidor set I had was of superb quality. There were no faults in the molds, nor in the printing, and the parts were incredibly durable. I don't know what you're talking about in terms of the sets being low quality, unless you're judging the whole theme by the McDonalds toys or something.One could argue that the high quality of the figures was part of the the theme's downfall. Very few people would buy what was essentially a traditional action figure when they had the high prices associated with Lego's standard of quality.In any case, you can't always refer to the past to make judgments about what should be done in the present. If Lego had stuck blindly to their "core values" as they existed when Ole Kirk started the company, there would be no green or gray Lego bricks, among other things (since Lego's anti-military policy once extended so far as to avoid these colors altogether, for fear kids would use them to build tanks and other military vehicles).
Okay, perhaps, I could be wrong about the quality. But that doesn't change the fact that the theme was... good.

mindeth the cobwebs