Suggestion:New kind of timeline(2)

Just to make sure, I asked if I could repost this and word it more properly, becausae the original answer I got from the original post, was not really what I was expecting, though Portalfig got it right

:) Hey there BZP. I have a suggestion for a new kind of timeline. Isn't there some kind of timeline that just simply tell what serials, books, games and movies and comics happened, in chronological order? That would be so helpful! Instead of just timelines that tell us the gist of what happened to the characters and such. I think it's fine that exist, but it would be so much better if the other kind also existed :) It would be great help to people writing BIONICLE fanfiction. Maybe it could even be used on BS01. I hope so.

And now, to word it more properly. I mean one that is not like the ones on BS01, because those colored grapht things can be very complicated and time-consuming. I think this is something that is needed. Also so people can try and get all books, serials, stories, comics, movies etc. in chronological order. Maybe each thing that takes place the same year could share the same part in this new kind of timeline, or maybe not. It's up to you, but at least I think this is a good idea :) So if anyone are up for the challenge of making this, go ahead :D But first I wanted to hear if you guys liked the idea.

Stay creative.

Edited by Luka1184

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

My original timeline, on which the BS01 one was based, did attempt to do this. You can still find it here, though it only has some of the story in it:

http://www.bzpower.com/ref.php?ID=2511

It is not "chapter specific", though. In general this is not needed, because reading the sources will naturally show you what order things happened in, or if they don't it doesn't matter.

Note also that I'm currently writing a fan fiction retelling of the entire Bionicle history, and in comments to the file (and when I post it as an epic, those will be posted in the review topic posts for each chapter) clarify what official sources you can go to in order to learn more, including specific chapters where warranted. However, as I get into the main story later it won't be so specific since for the most part I will leave the side details out so there's still something to find out about in the canon sources. :P

But really, I find the BS01 system convenient as-is. Perhaps it could be improved, but it's really not that hard to just look at the colors and then compare them to the key at the bottom of the pages.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

My original timeline, on which the BS01 was based, did attempt to do this. You can still find it here, though it only has some of the story in it: http://www.bzpower.com/ref.php?ID=2511 It is not "chapter specific", though. In general this is not needed, because reading the sources will naturally show you what order things happened in, or if they don't it doesn't matter. Note also that I'm currently writing a fan fiction retelling of the entire Bionicle history, and in comments to the file (and when I post it as an epic, those will be posted in the review topic posts for each chapter) clarify what official sources you can go to in order to learn more, including specific chapters where warranted. However, as I get into the main story later it won't be so specific since for the most part I will leave the side details out so there's still something to find out about in the canon sources. :P But really, I find the BS01 system convenient as-is. Perhaps it could be improved, but it's really not that hard to just look at the colors and then compare them to the key at the bottom of the pages.

I guess I'll just have to develop it on my own *sigh* I have very specific reasons for wanting this, and not only for my own convinience. Bones, would you like to volunteer in helping me design it? :)

Try this. http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4238&do=findComment&comment=221081 It probably could use some improvements, but better than starting from scratch.

Thank you very much! I guess I'll contact the creator and try and see if I can help put it into a kind of timeline or chronological timeline that is more pleasing to the eyes, or something. I guess it's ok to request a lock of this thread then? :)

EDIT: Hmmm, on further inspection, it seems like he's going, generally, by the release dates. It would be nice with both kinds. One that goes generally by release date, and one that doesn't, but just follow 100% canon chronology. I guess I could ask the maker of the list anyway, to help me create that sort of thing :) Do anyone else feel like helping though?

Edited by Luka1184

Try this. http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4238&do=findComment&comment=221081 It probably could use some improvements, but better than starting from scratch.

Thank you very much! I guess I'll contact the creator and try and see if I can help put it into a kind of timeline or chronological timeline that is more pleasing to the eyes, or something. I guess it's ok to request a lock of this thread then? :)

EDIT: Hmmm, on further inspection, it seems like he's going, generally, by the release dates. It would be nice with both kinds. One that goes generally by release date, and one that doesn't, but just follow 100% canon chronology. I guess I could ask the maker of the list anyway, to help me create that sort of thing :) Do anyone else feel like helping though?

I'm available to look into it. :shrugs:

Note: for a large portion of MU history, that's actually very easy, as far as I know (and if I'm missing something, I'd definitely want to know for that history retelling :P). The opening chapter of the first of the 2007 books (I forget the title offhand) tells of the Barraki's fall. Early Mutran Chronicles chapters tell of MU history leading up to and after that. And early chapters of Legacy of Evil tell of major more recent MU history involving the DH, as well as the Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet. There's very little else that has been told from these times.

For SM history there's a few sources which are all pretty easy to figure out, and then when you get to the 2004-2005 story the established timelines are easy to use a bit out of order, and then start with 2001. Just some pointers for where to begin. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...