• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Best Year for Titans?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zalty

Zalty
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 09-March 09
  • 2,303 posts
  •  

Posted May 05 2013 - 05:41 PM

Which year (state which Toa Team it was) would you say had the best titans, and why?

For me it's 2001. I got a Boxor in the mail this week and thought to myself that, while the designs of later titans were more polished, they simply couldn't stand up to the intricacy and functions of the old ones. I have to say that from the Rahi to the Ussanui was the best period for titans. The way all those axles and technic pieces come together so beautifully to produce such a mechanism... I just can't get over it! I think that the old titans took a lot more creativity and fore-thought to make than anything past the Metru did.

"Power is always dangerous. It attracts the worst, and corrupts the best. [...] It is only given to those who are ready to lower themselves to pick it up." - Ragnar Lothbrok

Onepu, Kehuri, the recluse, Aar, Priicu - BZPRPG Characters

If you interact with one of my characters and weren't already doing so, please PM me to let me know!

#2 Offline X-Ray

X-Ray
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 14-June 08
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:23 PM

[color=#008080;][font="'trebuchet ms', helvetica, sans-serif;"]I personally thought that Axonn and Brutaka back in '06 were pretty sweet. I have the Axonn set, which kind of contributes to that. Maxilos and Hydraxon were also pretty cool.[/color][/font]

[color=#008080;][font="'trebuchet ms', helvetica, sans-serif;"]:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:[/color][/font]

#3 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Sushi Boy

• 04-September 06
  • 12,354 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:36 PM

2006. I only recently began to cannibalize those sets for parts. Everything about those sets was pretty much perfect.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

#4 Offline Hitoshura

Hitoshura
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 16-February 13
  • 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted May 05 2013 - 08:38 PM

2006. They had quite a lot of them, from Brutaka and Axonn to Irnakk and Umbra. Good parts, too.

#5 Offline Lutho Twelve

Lutho Twelve
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 09-February 12
  • 848 posts
  •  

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:04 PM

I never had any titans from any year. But I suppose it would be the ones from 2006. The Brutaka and Axonn sets were the best.

#6 Offline Dual Cee

Dual Cee
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 22-October 12
  • 1,306 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:36 AM

Brutaka and Axxon for the win :)Also the 2002 were pretty good too, only, they were ... Different.. But clearly good in some way.

I'm back!

#7 Offline dotcom

dotcom
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Master of Poison Loose

• 01-August 08
  • 5,506 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:42 AM

Brutaka and Axonn were some of the best titans, though I rather like the ones from 2007 and 2008 too. Hydraxon and especially Takanuva were really great.

AXKP5KC.png

#8 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Savage Flood Awakened

• 09-April 10
  • 10,924 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:25 AM

I have to agree with everyone so far in that 2006 had some of the set Titan sets. Though 07 and 08 had some good ones too.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

Check out my Bionicle short stories The Agori and A Skakdi Horror Story.

Also check out my comedy series Adventures of the Bara Magna Sets!

#9 Offline The 1st Shadow

The 1st Shadow
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Dark Master of Light

• 21-June 10
  • 3,582 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:29 AM

2006, I'd have to say. 2007 had Maxilos, and his torso design was really creative. After that, the only Titan set I was ever really fond of was Tuma.

Posted Image

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

Posted Image

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to NickonAquaMagna~

#10 Offline randomreviewerbros

randomreviewerbros
  • Members

• 22-February 13
  • 825 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 03:33 AM

I think 2005 was an awesome year for the titans. Sidorak, roodaka and keetongu were all just awesome

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube....domReviewerBros

#11 Offline Taipu1

Taipu1
  • Premier Member
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 20-April 06
  • 2,788 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 06:01 AM

2006 had Axonn and Brutaka, who were really the start of something new and good.  I'd say this culminate in Takanuva in 2008, which was the best titan set ever.  As '06 started things off though, and had multiple good titans, I'd say '06 was best.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

#12 Online Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime
  • Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 02-March 10
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:14 AM

2006. They were huge and well-jointed, unlike the old titans. And you just can't beat Kardas.

Second place is 2008, for Takanuva.

Third is 2009, because I actually like the Toa Mata Nui set, even though it's not as solid as Takanuva, and I'm not a huge gold fan.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

#13 Offline TNTOS

TNTOS
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 13-October 06
  • 3,005 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:36 AM

For me, 2006. Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon and Fenrakk/Kardas . . . they were all awesome. Even Umbra was a pretty cool set, despite his somewhat odd color scheme. Just an awesome year for titan sets all around.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog
The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness
(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)
{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)
(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)
The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

#14 Offline Klanadack

Klanadack
  • Members

• 08-March 13
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:37 AM

I liked 2004, mostly because all the titans were unique. Think about it. 2006 were all just big huge guys. 2004 Had one big huge guy, one epic spider guy, one giant raptor bird, a combination of the previously stated, and a gold guy riding a dinosaur looking thing. 

P.S. I know what all the names are.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#15 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 6,532 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted May 06 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'm going to have to say 2006. Now, granted, I don't look at the 2006 titan sets through the same rose-colored glasses I once did. Brutaka's arms were basically no more complex than what you could expect on a canister set. His and Axonn's inner thighs were extremely hollow. Haven't looked at Vezok and Fenrakk in years, but they're far from flawless (especially considering Fenrakk's large, specialized head piece), and Kardas had a hard time supporting his own weight. That's not even taking into account clunkers (comparatively speaking) like Irnakk and Umbra. Nevertheless, this year's titan sets had a lot of personality and a lot of sculptural detail that help them stand out a great deal in retrospect.2005's titan sets are real contenders as well, but I feel Sidorak was somewhat more frail than he should have been, and Keetongu just isn't as smoothly sculpted as 2006's offerings. Even Roodaka has some major weaknesses.If I had to pick one best BIONICLE titan set overall, it wouldn't be either of these. The 2008 Takanuva set would win hands-down. He did a lot of things in new ways and he did them right. Most unobtrusive hip and shoulder suspension of any set, first titan set to incorporate fully-custom legs, streamlined armor, and a very powerful physique. However, I can't really pick 2008 for the best titan sets because it also gave us the clunker that is Icarax. He had some clever techniques (I love his foot design), but overall his gangly proportions are far from appealing and his hip suspension juts out awkwardly. And other than Takanuva and Icarax, there weren't any other "warrior" sets from that year I'd consider titans. Mutran & Vican was more or less a canister set and small set packaged together, and all the other large sets that year were vehicles.

25450756306_58415c3e74_z.jpg
The call of a Dragon in danger to save. All must unite, with Magic, be brave!

#16 Offline archivist_66

archivist_66
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 01-April 13
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 10:52 AM

2002. Just remember these great functions...

olda.png

"You are a Toa -- prove yourself worthy of the name!"

Onua, "Into the Nest"

#17 Offline Toatapio Nuva

Toatapio Nuva
  • Members
  • A Seventh Toa

• 10-December 04
  • 6,394 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm genuinely surprised and even shocked that so many think 2006 onward was a good time for titans. I have to stand up for 2001 here. As stated in the opening post, the Rahi took a lot of creativity to make. Large animals with exciting functions could be built from such a huge pile of so small pieces, it's incredible! Later years always had oversized canister sets and nothing else. 

#18 Offline Phantom Terror

Phantom Terror
  • Members
  • Destruction's Human Form

• 18-February 13
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 11:50 AM

Probably the Inika/Mahri sets. My top ten Titans are:

• Vezon and Fenrakk/Vezon and Kardas
  • Maxilos and Spinax
  • Hyraxon
  • Gadunka
  • Makuta Icarax
  • Keetongu
  • Manas crabs
  • Fero and Skirmix
  • Axonn
  • Karzahni

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click HERE!

#19 Offline Zalty

Zalty
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 09-March 09
  • 2,303 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm genuinely surprised and even shocked that so many think 2006 onward was a good time for titans. I have to stand up for 2001 here. As stated in the opening post, the Rahi took a lot of creativity to make. Large animals with exciting functions could be built from such a huge pile of so small pieces, it's incredible! Later years always had oversized canister sets and nothing else. 

I'm surprised at the almost unanimous choice of 2006 too. But I'm glad I'm not the only one to appreciate 2001!

"Power is always dangerous. It attracts the worst, and corrupts the best. [...] It is only given to those who are ready to lower themselves to pick it up." - Ragnar Lothbrok

Onepu, Kehuri, the recluse, Aar, Priicu - BZPRPG Characters

If you interact with one of my characters and weren't already doing so, please PM me to let me know!

#20 Offline Mr. Coffee

Mr. Coffee
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 09-December 11
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:02 PM

I liked the functional models, so my vote goes to rahi, boxor and exo-toa.

=== COFFEE GUZZLER ===

BZPRPG profiles
-Chronicles of Tara-
Ascension

#21 Offline Phantom Terror

Phantom Terror
  • Members
  • Destruction's Human Form

• 18-February 13
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:05 PM

I liked the Manas so much becuase you could attack the other rahi without hurting your fingers.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click HERE!

#22 Offline TechnicRage

TechnicRage
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 12-November 12
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted May 09 2013 - 08:31 PM

The Mahri titans were the best due to their originality.

#23 Offline Ice Ruler FF Crustallus

Ice Ruler FF Crustallus
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 08-November 11
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted May 10 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hmm... I'm saying 2006. You can't exactly say that Kardas, Axxon, and Brutaka are not awesome. 

pWPTu7m.jpg

Just call me FF or Veigar no matter my current username.

"I wish... you taken my hand... and no one ever found that 

teapot in the first place..."

~ Jay, Ninjago

#24 Offline Vox

Vox
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Perpetually Cold

• 08-January 07
  • 4,572 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 12:40 AM

Well i always liked the Toa inika year Titans Axxon and brutak but the Toa mahri is my favorite by far. I mean who could not love karzahni.

maran.jpg

#25 Offline Lachanu

Lachanu
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 16-January 10
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2013 - 02:14 PM

I really like 2005. You see in 2005 there were 3 titans (excluding the combination models). Sidorak, Roodaka, and Keetongu.

I really liked the weapon functions. Sidorak had a cool wrist sword, Roodaka and Keetongu both had rotating weapons.

941989_245302795611443_1853177518_n.jpg

#26 Offline Kazi the Matoran

Kazi the Matoran
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 27-May 08
  • 3,041 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2013 - 06:19 PM

2006. Axonn and Brutaka were amazing! 2007 was also a good year, and I really enjoyed building a playing around with Maxilos and Spinax, as well  as Nocturn. I guess the leg pistons really caught my attention,  as sets no longer fell over from weakened joints like they did before, and the weapons were just legendary in my mind.

Edited by Kazi the Matoran, May 11 2013 - 06:21 PM.

My comics: Kazi's Comics 3.0
My music: T-MG Music

"And now for something completely different."
-- Monty Python

#27 Offline ExoBro94

ExoBro94
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 05-May 13
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted May 14 2013 - 09:39 PM

I have all of the titans from 2001-2004 I believe. And 2001 and 2002 are my favorite years!

#28 Offline Liopleurodon

Liopleurodon
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 19-November 08
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted May 14 2013 - 10:57 PM

2001-2003 titans were probably my favorites, though the 2004-2006 titans were also really good. :)

#29 Offline Tenebrae Invictus

Tenebrae Invictus
  • Premier Member
  • Disintegration Resolved

• 04-September 04
  • 6,999 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 11:58 PM

I'd say it's a toss-up between 2003, 2004 and 2006 for me, just because of the wide diversity and adventurous/epic feeling that kind of radiates off them as whole.

Edited by Tenebrae Invictus, May 15 2013 - 10:12 PM.

9092_s.gif

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

#30 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 22-October 11
  • 1,523 posts
  •  

Posted May 15 2013 - 09:02 AM

As with most people, I really like the 2006 titans, especially Vezon and Fenrahkk. I don't have Brutaka myself, but what I've seen of him looks good.

Axonn was good as well. I really liked the oversized articulated hands.

#31 Offline Ektris

Ektris
  • Premier Member
  • Proud Matoran Resistance

• 22-July 03
  • 13,467 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 10:31 AM

It's hard to deny my love for the 2006 Titans as well. I've long thought of Vezon & Fenrakk as one of my favorites of the entire line, and the addition of Axonn and Brutaka as two wonderful sets help round things out. They aren't without their issues - Fenrakk's tiny rear legs, Axonn's heavy arms, Brutaka's spindly arms - but as a collective whole, they are very strong. Umbra isn't horrible either, if you can get him to stand. And Irnakk... Well, he's just like any other combined model before him and I don't treat as a genuine Titan; just a special release.Regardless, I don't feel like there are any other groups of Titans in my collection that are on par with these guys. There are some that are just as good or even better, to me, but they didn't come out in the same year. So 2006 was definitely a strong one in my opinion.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

#32 Offline Toa TAK

Toa TAK
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Lehvak-Kal Launched

• 17-October 06
  • 4,858 posts
  •  

Posted May 15 2013 - 12:39 PM

[color=#0000cd;]Glad to see everyone saying 2006. Instantly popped in my mind when I saw this topic.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Second place would be 2009, though, did dig the vehicles and Mata Nui.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]TAK[/color]

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

#33 Offline <Reverb>

<Reverb>
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 23-March 10
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted May 15 2013 - 03:19 PM

[color=#800080;]I swear the most excitied I ever got over a bionicle set was over Axonn. They were the best thing in the world through my eyes when they came out. They even got me to discovering BZP.[/color]

[color=#800080;]For that reason alone, '06 gets my pick with Axonn, Brutaka, and Fenrakk+Vezon.[/color]

[color=#800080;]'08 is a close second with the introduction of the vehicles, along with Takanuva.[/color]

Edited by Phantomesque, May 15 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#34 Offline -Jaller-

-Jaller-
  • Members
  • Toa

• 06-August 12
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted May 15 2013 - 03:54 PM

Axonn and Brutaka. They were probly the most developed titan in the storyline.

LONG

LIVE

BIONICLE

:huna:  :matatu:  :mahiki:  :rau:  :komau:  :ruru: 

#35 Offline Reya

Reya
  • Premier Member
  • Trusted Trader

• 23-November 03
  • 11,816 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 05:53 AM

2001 hands down.

#36 Offline Rodimus

Rodimus
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Royal Scientist

• 15-December 04
  • 2,530 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted May 20 2013 - 07:14 AM

ayo 2003 and 2004 had the best titans imo. gotta lotta fond memories with gukko and nidhiki tbh

tumblr_inline_oeohpcbqDq1sqijli_500.png

#37 Offline Cambion

Cambion
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 29-August 09
  • 2,048 posts
  •  

Posted May 20 2013 - 08:23 AM

[color=#00ccff;]2004 and 2006 stand out for me as those were the years i got the titan combiners. 2005 was also good, there were some neat building techniques going on in those sets.[/color]

[color=#00ccff;](honestly anything before 2007 was good though)[/color]

#38 Offline Madara: Mangekyou Master

Madara: Mangekyou Master
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 02-April 07
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted May 23 2013 - 03:28 PM

2006 and 2007 were by far the best in my opinion. The Order of Mata Nui was pure awesome. 

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

#39 Offline Driskull

Driskull
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 11-March 12
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 01 2013 - 10:07 PM

2006-2009 Giants were the best.

Vahki_Yr4.PNG

^ Best year.

Proud to be from the Great White North

:flagcanada:

#40 Offline slifer3000

slifer3000
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 27-February 13
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 02 2013 - 12:57 PM

2003 or 2001 for me. The Bahrag were cool too, I have em up in my room, but Jaller and gukko and the Takua and Pewku were just epic, also Makuta's set is still my favorite Titan to date.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users