Best Year for Titans?

ARROW404

Which year (state which Toa Team it was) would you say had the best titans, and why?

For me it's 2001. I got a Boxor in the mail this week and thought to myself that, while the designs of later titans were more polished, they simply couldn't stand up to the intricacy and functions of the old ones. I have to say that from the Rahi to the Ussanui was the best period for titans. The way all those axles and technic pieces come together so beautifully to produce such a mechanism... I just can't get over it! I think that the old titans took a lot more creativity and fore-thought to make than anything past the Metru did.

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

I personally thought that Axonn and Brutaka back in '06 were pretty sweet. I have the Axonn set, which kind of contributes to that. Maxilos and Hydraxon were also pretty cool.

:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

For me, 2006. Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon and Fenrakk/Kardas . . . they were all awesome. Even Umbra was a pretty cool set, despite his somewhat odd color scheme. Just an awesome year for titan sets all around.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I liked 2004, mostly because all the titans were unique. Think about it. 2006 were all just big huge guys. 2004 Had one big huge guy, one epic spider guy, one giant raptor bird, a combination of the previously stated, and a gold guy riding a dinosaur looking thing.

P.S. I know what all the names are.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'm going to have to say 2006. Now, granted, I don't look at the 2006 titan sets through the same rose-colored glasses I once did. Brutaka's arms were basically no more complex than what you could expect on a canister set. His and Axonn's inner thighs were extremely hollow. Haven't looked at Vezok and Fenrakk in years, but they're far from flawless (especially considering Fenrakk's large, specialized head piece), and Kardas had a hard time supporting his own weight. That's not even taking into account clunkers (comparatively speaking) like Irnakk and Umbra. Nevertheless, this year's titan sets had a lot of personality and a lot of sculptural detail that help them stand out a great deal in retrospect.2005's titan sets are real contenders as well, but I feel Sidorak was somewhat more frail than he should have been, and Keetongu just isn't as smoothly sculpted as 2006's offerings. Even Roodaka has some major weaknesses.If I had to pick one best BIONICLE titan set overall, it wouldn't be either of these. The 2008 Takanuva set would win hands-down. He did a lot of things in new ways and he did them right. Most unobtrusive hip and shoulder suspension of any set, first titan set to incorporate fully-custom legs, streamlined armor, and a very powerful physique. However, I can't really pick 2008 for the best titan sets because it also gave us the clunker that is Icarax. He had some clever techniques (I love his foot design), but overall his gangly proportions are far from appealing and his hip suspension juts out awkwardly. And other than Takanuva and Icarax, there weren't any other "warrior" sets from that year I'd consider titans. Mutran & Vican was more or less a canister set and small set packaged together, and all the other large sets that year were vehicles.

I'm genuinely surprised and even shocked that so many think 2006 onward was a good time for titans. I have to stand up for 2001 here. As stated in the opening post, the Rahi took a lot of creativity to make. Large animals with exciting functions could be built from such a huge pile of so small pieces, it's incredible! Later years always had oversized canister sets and nothing else.

I'm genuinely surprised and even shocked that so many think 2006 onward was a good time for titans. I have to stand up for 2001 here. As stated in the opening post, the Rahi took a lot of creativity to make. Large animals with exciting functions could be built from such a huge pile of so small pieces, it's incredible! Later years always had oversized canister sets and nothing else.

I'm surprised at the almost unanimous choice of 2006 too. But I'm glad I'm not the only one to appreciate 2001!

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

Well i always liked the Toa inika year Titans Axxon and brutak but the Toa mahri is my favorite by far. I mean who could not love karzahni.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I really like 2005. You see in 2005 there were 3 titans (excluding the combination models). Sidorak, Roodaka, and Keetongu.

I really liked the weapon functions. Sidorak had a cool wrist sword, Roodaka and Keetongu both had rotating weapons.

941989_245302795611443_1853177518_n.jpg

2006. Axonn and Brutaka were amazing! 2007 was also a good year, and I really enjoyed building a playing around with Maxilos and Spinax, as well as Nocturn. I guess the leg pistons really caught my attention, as sets no longer fell over from weakened joints like they did before, and the weapons were just legendary in my mind.

Edited by Kazi the Matoran
My comics: Kazi's Comics 3.0

My music: T-MG Music

"And now for something completely different."

-- Monty Python

As with most people, I really like the 2006 titans, especially Vezon and Fenrahkk. I don't have Brutaka myself, but what I've seen of him looks good.

Axonn was good as well. I really liked the oversized articulated hands.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

It's hard to deny my love for the 2006 Titans as well. I've long thought of Vezon & Fenrakk as one of my favorites of the entire line, and the addition of Axonn and Brutaka as two wonderful sets help round things out. They aren't without their issues - Fenrakk's tiny rear legs, Axonn's heavy arms, Brutaka's spindly arms - but as a collective whole, they are very strong. Umbra isn't horrible either, if you can get him to stand. And Irnakk... Well, he's just like any other combined model before him and I don't treat as a genuine Titan; just a special release.Regardless, I don't feel like there are any other groups of Titans in my collection that are on par with these guys. There are some that are just as good or even better, to me, but they didn't come out in the same year. So 2006 was definitely a strong one in my opinion.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I swear the most excitied I ever got over a bionicle set was over Axonn. They were the best thing in the world through my eyes when they came out. They even got me to discovering BZP.

For that reason alone, '06 gets my pick with Axonn, Brutaka, and Fenrakk+Vezon.

'08 is a close second with the introduction of the vehicles, along with Takanuva.

Edited by Phantomesque

• 2 weeks later...