The Aftermath

spyder ryder

Vezon awoke. He momentarily did not know who he was, or where he was, but it all came to him in a few moments. He was laying on his back. This was different, but pleasant. He looked around at the cavern that had been his home for the past few weeks. It seemed normal. The walls were a dark red color, and there was a faint scent of smoldering lava in the air. But something felt off. What could it be? Then it hit him. He realized that he was not fused to Fenrakk--no, it was Kardas now. He remembered that Fenrakk had become Kardas when he had battled with the Toa. He slowly began to remember the fight. Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not toLeave because I’d go berserk?! WELL…You left me anyhow and then the days got worse and worse,And now you see I’ve gone completely out of my mind. AND… The battle had been intense. Vezon could not really recall ever fighting so hard. Those dratted Toa had been trying very hard to take something away from him. But what was it? It had been something terribly important. Not only had the Toa been after it, but those pesky Piraka had been after it as well. They had been incredibly easy to dispose of. But what were they after? What were they all after? Had it been Vezon himself? Had they all really just wanted to kill him? No, that was impossible. How could anyone want to kill someone with such charm and handsome looks? Why, the very idea! No, they had been after something that was small and metallic, something that was… Vezon suddenly remembered what they had been after. They’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa!They’re coming to take me away, Ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haa!To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time,And I’ll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats,And they’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa! They had been after the Mask of Life. The mask Vezon had spent the majority of his young life guarding. The mask, that mask, that wonderful mask. It had chosen Vezon to guard it, taking pity on him when others had spurned him because they had been jealous of him. That small act of kindness had made Vezon devote his every waking moment protecting it. He and Fenrakk--Now known as Kardas--had spent hours talking of all the ways they would protect it. And then the day had finally come. The day when someone tried to steal the mask. Well, Vezon wouldn’t have it. When the Piraka had come he had dealt with them in an expert fashion. The mask had been proud of him. You thought it was a joke and so you laughed, you laughed when I had saidThat loosing you would make me flip my lid… RIGHT?You know you laughed, I heard you laugh,You laughed, you laughed and laughed,And then you left, but now you see I’m utterly mad… AND… Shortly after the Piraka, those terrible Toa had shown up. They were persistent in their effort to take the mask, but Vezon had shown them. He and Fenrakk both showed them. They were no match for the power of the mask. They never even knew what they were up against. Vezon had nearly made mincemeat out of them, but then they did something terrible. They stopped hitting him. Vezon needed them to hit him. Otherwise he couldn’t beat them. They almost defeated him, they did. Those dratted Toa. They thought wrong. They couldn’t beat the mask. Just moments before he had fallen, Vezon had urged Fenrakk into the lava. They’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa!They’re coming to take me away, Ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!To the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds,And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes,And they’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa! Vezon remembered dying. It had been quite an experience, but not as glorified as it was made up to be. He had been alive, then he wasn’t. It was simple as that. He had seen an afterlife, or at least he thought he had. It had looked very strange, but that may have been because he was not yet used to being dead. He had only been dead for a moment, but then felt himself pulled back through to the realm of the living. Resurrection was also rather disappointing. It was like dying, but backwards. He was dead, then he was alive. Simple. Rising up from the lava, he realized that he had come back even stronger. Fenrakk had become Kardas, and now they were ready to defend the mask like never before. The Toa were shocked as anything to see Vezon riding a dragon. It was wonderful. Kardas was so delightfully destructive, even more so than he had been as Fenrakk. The fight had continued, but now the tables had turned. Vezon and Kardas were beating the Toa back. Vezon and Kardas no longer shared the ability to become more powerful when they were hit, but Vezon didn’t mind. Kardas’s wonderful ability to incinerate things with his breath made up for it. Yes, they were just about to kill the Toa. But then something awful had happened. Something that was so incredibly horrible that it made Vezon cringe with anger just thinking about it. I cooked your food, I cleaned your house,And this is how you pay me back for all my kind, unselfish loving deeds? HUH?Well you just wait, they’ll find you yet,And when they do they’ll put you in the A.S. P. C. A., you mangy mutt! AND… He heard the mask’s thoughts. It no longer cared for him. It wanted to cast him aside like an old worn-out shoe. It despised him. It wanted the white Toa. This had driven Vezon into a powerful rage, only moments before the battle was over. He had been so distracted that he never felt the Zamor that struck him, putting him and Kardas in suspended animation. And now here he was. Kardas was gone, Vezon had no idea where he was. And so was the mask. The Toa had stolen it. Vezon suddenly leapt to his feet, screeching with utter rage. He was right back where he had started. Alone. Friendless. And it was all because of that stupid mask, and that Toa who had stolen it. Vezon suddenly noticed the spear that lay next to his foot. The spear of fusion, the wonderful spear. It was broken, but was buzzing with energy. Vezon realized that it was repairing itself. The familiar grin returned to his face. He realized what he could do. He could track the Toa down, and reclaim the mask. And then they could never have it again. Because Vezon would kill them. As the weapon finished fusing itself together, Vezon noticed the blade was dull from the battle. He found a suitable stone and began to sharpen it. Soon the blade was honed and razor-sharp, ready to cut through the toughest armor. Vezon was just about to throw the stone away when he stopped. He put it in a compartment on his armor. He would need it again to sharpen the blade after he had killed the Toa. They’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa!They’re coming to take me away, Ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time,And I’ll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats,And they’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa!To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds,And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes,And they’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa!

Edited by spyder ryder

• 7 months later...

It can be instructive to see through another's eyes; so to see a tale as told through different eyes, especially when the view is entirely antithetical. I also liked your take on his attachment to the Mask of Life. I never thought of it before. I never bothered to consider his motives or opinions or feelings, I always merely enjoyed his insanity. But I think your depiction of the workings of his mind could be quite accurate. You actually inspired in me pity for him. I think you did very well.By the way, this was the best line in the story:

How could anyone want to kill someone with such charm and handsome looks?

Grammatically you did well, I have but one nitpick:

He and Fenrakk--Now known as Kardas--had spent hours talking of all the ways they would protect it.

The capitalization there was incorrect. This being the only error I noticed, you have my felicitations!I find this story to be rather like Vezon, at least as you depicted him. There's not much to him on the surface, but underneath, there's a lot going on. I found your style to be pleasant and tasteful, and I commend your work. Keep it up!Also, the song you chose for the piece was very apt. Very amusing in a creepy way, just like Vezon.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?