Masks on Mata Nui

Okay, a couple question I should probably know, and I'm suprised I don't First off, who place the original masks on the island of mata nui? Why? Were there extras (maybe more than 6 kakamas, etc.) Also, on the island of mata nui were there only 12 kanohi types in the villages? could there have been hypotheticlly more villagers we didn't see with different masks? Who put the kanohi nuva on the island? Why? Don't you think the toa would have found at least one kanohi nuva during their first quest? If not, why not? I'd really love to find out all this, just questions that popped into my mind. Thanks!

Tu2d6W7.jpg

1. The Toa Metru brought the masks from the Great Temple, and hid them around the island.2. There were most likely Matoran with different masks around the island. It's probably becaus of artistic licence(or something similar, as other masks weren't invented during that time), and the fact that there are around 1000 Matoran here. TLG couldn't of showed all of them. 3. I'm pretty sure that the Kanohi Nuva appeared when the Toa Mata transformed, around the same time as the elemental symbols. Partly because Kanohi Nuva weren't known to exist until then, and the symbols just randomly appeared when the transformation was complete, so I think of the same with the Kanohi Nuva.

1. The Toa Metru brought the masks from the Great Temple, and hid them around the island.2. There were most likely Matoran with different masks around the island. It's probably becaus of artistic licence(or something similar, as other masks weren't invented during that time), and the fact that there are around 1000 Matoran here. TLG couldn't of showed all of them.3. I'm pretty sure that the Kanohi Nuva appeared when the Toa Mata transformed, around the same time as the elemental symbols. Partly because Kanohi Nuva weren't known to exist until then, and the symbols just randomly appeared when the transformation was complete, so I think of the same with the Kanohi Nuva.

Why would the metru hide them? Why not keep them in the village, or even tell the mata the locations of the masks, also, how did the KN appear? Did someone make them appear?

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I'm willing to bet the masks were hidden for safekeeping, as well. If they were kept in one location, it would be easier for someone like Teridax to find and destroy them.

If the Nuva masks simply appeared, their locations were more likely "test of ______" based.

"There are a thousand ways I could destroy you right now. And 941 of them hurt."

Teridax to Vakama

Okay, a couple question I should probably know, and I'm suprised I don't First off, who place the original masks on the island of mata nui?

The Turaga (as Toa Metru). (As an irrelevant side note, I was actually the one to theorize this back in the day and the theory turned out right. ^_^)

Why?

Others' answers are correct (confirmed); as a test of worth. They had gone through similar tests by necessity themselves, and Vakama especially felt that Toa could not simply be trusted to do the right thing automatically (due to his own failure as a Hordika, and likely Nidhiki's betrayal). This was also the same reason they kept the past secret at first; they didn't trust them.

Were there extras (maybe more than 6 kakamas, etc.)

Powered ones? Apparently not. They got them from the temple in Ga-Metru, and apparently that's how much happened to be stored there.

Also, on the island of mata nui were there only 12 kanohi types in the villages?

No. All common shapes were present as Matoran Kanohi. (Some shapes that were rare, from other locations, and of course the evil power shapes weren't present, but in general they had much wider variety than we see. However, those twelve are among the most common.)

could there have been hypotheticlly more villagers we didn't see with different masks?

Not just hypothetically; I believe Greg confirmed this. I don't have time to search for an exact quote, but pretty sure.

Who put the kanohi nuva on the island? Why?

See other posts for who. As for why, not sure it was ever stated, but my guess would be that they would need practice as Nuva, whether with elemental powers stolen or not, with the new changes to the masks, including sharing, before taking on the Kal.

Don't you think the toa would have found at least one kanohi nuva during their first quest? If not, why not? I'd really love to find out all this, just questions that popped into my mind. Thanks!

Even if they had already been present, no -- the Turaga gave them hints as to the basic areas to look for the masks, which would not have been the same areas as the Nuva masks.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The problem is, when did the Nuva masks appeared on Mata Nui? The Nuva Symbols had been teleported there from Artahka after the Toa Mata's transformation, but it doesn't say anything about time on the BS01 Kanohi Nuva page. It seems like they were teleported when the symbols are, but the Turaga knew where the masks were and gave the Toa Nuva hints on where to find them. Unless Vakama's vision told the Turaga, I honestly don't know about this.

• 3 weeks later...