The Song of the Island

This story was inspired by a song, as music seems to be a great inspiration for writing.

A Le-Matoran hummed silently to himself, sitting in the forests of the jungle he called home. I was that Le-Matoran. Life had never been easy, but I kept on living. Monstrous creatures roamed the land, under Makuta's mighty control. But brave heroes were here to fight him. It hadn't always been that way... It seemed a long long time ago, when things seemed completely without hope...

I can still remember those days, back before the Toa had arrived on the island. They had been dark, and filled with challenge, but we had survived, most of us...

I closed my eyes, humming the song that filled my mind, a small smile crossed my face as the memory of the melody echoed through me, a song of days long past My mind drifted back a few hundred years, to a time when Matoran had no fear. The Rahi attacks did not dissuade us in the slightest. We stood bravely against the darkest of shadows. How I wished for that time, when I myself was into the music.

I had always wanted to play music, to make others dance, especially during that dark time that had passed over us many years ago. That time was when music was needed the most, when everyone needed something to cheer themselves up... but not much could have even done that.

That was when the island learned the news of the deaths of the Le-Matoran Pao, Ga-Matoran Puha, Ko-Matoran Waiata, Ta-Matoran Oriori, Po-Matoran Whiti, and Onu-Matoran Haka. The traveling band called The Islanders. They had traveled the island, bringing cheerful music across the island.

I was sent to the other Koro as a messenger, it was up to me to spread the news across the island. I was to travel and tell of the death to the heroes of music, telling their homes of their tragic demises

A boat wreck off the coast, between Le-Wahi and Ko-Wahi, an infected Tarakava... it was too late for anyone to save them, it didn't matter if they could swim or not, Makuta didn't want them alive, and his beasts made sure his will was accomplished.

It was in Ta-Koro when I couldn't take it any longer. I broke down in misery. The Islanders had been friends of mine, always encouraging everyone they met. I had told the story so many times, and it was just too much for me... I couldn't take the pain. I can't remember exactly what happened, I'm unsure if I held my composure of broke down crying... it was just... they kept a smile on everyone's faces... but they were... gone...

Visiting Ta-Koro had to be the hardest on me, the whole Koro came to hear the news... they all knew Oriori personally. He had been a friend to everyone, as cheerful a Matoran as you could ever find.

Something changed that day, in all of us, nothing would be the same. We had lost all of the island's greatest musicians in a single day... nothing could change that, but everyone wished they could... it was like the island's spirit was gone.That was the day... that was... the day the music died.

That day was dark, and without a goodbye we were alone. No one had expected them to die, and no one was prepared for it... they were gone so quickly, stolen from those who had loved them.

I flew my Gukko across the island, delivering the message to the next village, the land of ice. The cold was nothing compared to the sense of loss we all felt at the news... The villagers all came to hear my news, and I was met met by misery. No drinks could prove themselves strong enough, nothing could dull and mask the pain.

And the whole village broke out... into song. The cold Koro of ice, known for it's silence, came alive... A song from the Islanders, about Ko-Wahi, and the wondrous snow... Though I didn't hear it myself, it is said that even Nuju joined the song. The whole Koro I knew, would never forget the dark day... the band would live on forever, even when they were gone.

One Matoran seemed to be hurt the most, a writer of a book of stone, a friend to Puha, who when informed began to cry. He had been writing her a book, based on a story she had... it would never be finished... his friend was gone.

A small question seemed to rise, a wondering why Mata Nui had let them die... It was something I myself wondered that day, why he would let those so loved just perish in such a way. Even if he was asleep... he could have done something, couldn't he? At the time, I just didn't know... the legends didn't say. None of us knew what to believe.

There was no one else in the village who wanted to play music... it was as though no instrument would ever match the Islander's skill, and it seemed that... no one wanted to, nothing could ever take the place of what had been lost.

They will live forever in the hearts and memories of us all, their music lived on inside of us, but no one could find a way to truly let it out... So they sang, sang to those who had been lost...

There was no cheer, no smiles, even the cold village of ice seemed colder. A dark gloom had come over the village, as it had with my home of Le-Koro... and as I knew it was in the other villages of the island.

I knew that the island loved the Islanders, they were an inspiration to us all... but I had to keep moving, heading to the next Koro. The news needed to be told... and I was the one chosen to do it... and nothing had ever been as challenging. There was no dancing, only a wave goodbye, the singing of the Koro still ringing in my ears, a piece of the Islanders, a piece I would never let go.

The sky whipped around me and my Gukko, but my mind was not on the flight, it was on the news I carried, and the wonder how the village of Onu-Koro would take it... If Ko-Koro and Ta-koro had taken it that badly... I could not imagine the reaction or the others...

I could feel the increase in heat as the land below changed, from the land of ice to the land of earth. Onu-Koro, the underground city... their location could fend off even the mightiest attackers... but it would be of no protection to the news I carried with me.

It felt like I was alone in the world... music was part of me, it was what kept me going despite the hardships we faced... All were sad, but none of them felt it the way I did... Kept held tight in my hand was the one thing I had to remember them by. It was a pink island flower, dried out to be preserved. I had gotten it at one of their performances years ago... Now it helped me keep moving, and not let the news stay untold.

landing outside of a tunnel, I found myself in Onu-Wahi, home of the Onu-Matoran... home of Haka... It was so hard to be the messenger of the grave news... But, it was up to me... The island had to know of that day... the day the music died.

I was welcomed by the smiling faces of the ussalry, asking me what news I brought to them. If they had already known, they would not have been smiling... I know that no one would. The guards walked grimly with me to the Turaga's hut. They knew now what I did... I had told them. Now I was to tell the Turaga, and the whole of the village. This was a task I would not wish upon anyone... But it had to be done.

The Turaga was grim and serious, but he showed a little sadness.He didn't understand what The Islanders meant to me, to the Matoran. They were hope, and when they left, they took hope with them. The Matoran acted differently. A air of grim silence spread over them like a blanket, but they did not stop their work... there was much to be done, and they knew that there was nothing they could do... but they too took it almost in stride.

But a low hum began, echoing out into the tunnels, and soon the singing began as they worked... the dead were gone... but in Onu-Koro... they would not be forgotten.

It's been decades now, but the wound still hurts. The pain of that day has never faded, never weakened. Since then, no music has matched theirs, and very few have ever tried, for nothing can compare... Not much has changed since then... and the Matoran seem to have forgotten. But I haven't, I will never forget them... they will live on with all of us. But, I just wish they could have lived on longer all the same.

But I remember when the whole island knew and felt the pain and sorrow, a deep loss that can never be filled... Today the memory... then, it was a whole lot more... and to me, it still is. But now, even that seems so far away, so long ago. The island has slowly started to heal. Hope is growing back up again, but I can't feel it. The great Toa have gone to challenge the very Makuta himself, and still I feel nothing but loss.

A light whisper echoes along on the wind as I stop to listen. It sounds almost like the notes of a song, playing in the distance. As I listen more, the song becomes clear to me, and a cold chill runs up my spine. I know the song, it was one of the Islanders', But where was it coming from?

As I looked around me, my vantage point at the top of a tree giving me good range, I could see nothing at all. The song grew louder every moment, as it reached the end. I could hear the lyrics as loud as if they had been from someone standing right beside me.

"And the darkness shall be cleared, evil fades away. For now we are free, for now we are free."

I listened and I knew, the Toa had won out against the darkness, and the Makuta's rule had been ended. I leaned back into the tree, and for the first time in a long, long while, a grin crossed my face.

Edited by The Dark Chronicler

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

That was pretty cool. I find it really interesting how you turned a song into a complete story. It flowed extremely well, and was rather gripping. I didn't see any grammar or spelling problems, but the bold print made it just little hard to read. It might have just been my computer screen though. :P

I had a good idea of what song it was, but when you got to "When the music died," I knew it. Great song choice, BTW.

WIP

I'm glad to hear you liked it. It took me a long time to write this story, due to the many rewrites I did when I felt it didn't match up with the story I wanted to tell. Songs have always been a powerful inspiration to me, but I try not to use them too much, so my own work doesn't seem insignificant compared to the similarities. Sorry about the bold text, I have been having issues with Customize Posts feature.

I find it almost rather sad how few people knew the song when I asked them. Among those I most frequently speak to, only one recognized it when I said the name. So seeing another person who knows it is a rather pleasant surprise.

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles