• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

Neon Genesis Evangelion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Euphrates

Euphrates
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 21 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2013 - 12:54 AM

Is anyone here into Evangelion? For those who don't know, it's an anime series from the 1990s widely considered one of the most influential and controversial anime series/films of all time. It's basically a mecha series with lots of stuff like biblical motifs and Freudian psychoanalysis mixed in and it's pretty excellent if you're into that kind of thing.

Currently it's being "rebuilt" into a tetralogy of films that uses current film technology to create a "remake" with a lot of new plot points and characters.

I figured it was relevant cuz 3.0 just got a subbed version (I still have yet to watch it) and FINAL is coming out pretty soon in Japan.

Personally my favorite parts of the series were Misato and Ritsuko's character arcs and also how the apocalyptic scenario dealt with human psychology a lot more than most fictional apocalypses do--Shinji's exposure to instrumentality is probably the high point of the series to me, aside from maybe the beautiful streamlined mecha designs.

[[aah i accidentally posted this in otc instead of cot..........posting again here......]]

#2 Offline Raku Ichijo

Raku Ichijo
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 428 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2013 - 04:15 PM

3.33 was great, it's only problem was that it didn't do too much to advance the story, which is forgivable since it was originally supposed to be half as long (which it really could have been) and released with Final, and it was basically Rebuild's End of Evangelion: which I am hoping means Final will actually have an ending.The endings are actually my biggest problem with Evangelion, mainly because they have pretty much zero closure. I'm kinda hoping that changes in the manga (which I haven't read, but I'm getting the 3-in-1 volumes soon, and I'm not really expecting much of a change), and it better change with Final. The NGE: Campus Apocalypse manga (which I didn't like, by the way, but I can't read newer shoujo stuff anyways), probably had the best ending out of all the NGE stuff I've read/watched, and that really isn't saying much.Anyways, I might say it's one of my favorite series up until it becomes a psychoanalysis of the characters' minds (I know some people liked that, I didn't), and that's probably why I think Rebuild is superior to NGE.

gallery_60140_160_59756.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4811-7119-1466 / PSN ID: khsora546 / Steam: terminus2495 / Nintendo Network: Terminus2495 / PM Me to add me

Currently Playing ~ BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma ~ Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd ~ inFamous: Second Son

#3 Offline Euphrates

Euphrates
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 21 posts
  •  

Posted May 11 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm a bit of the opposite--I loved episodes 25 and 26 but couldn't quite come to enjoy End of Evangelion. As silly as the psychoanalytical themes seem in the present day when genre-subverting anime series are way more commonplace, I think the characters were developed well enough for such an extreme ending. As for EoE it was pretty good visually but it came off as trying too hard to be edgy and adult-oriented because of the theatrical release and the psychadellic stuff is just downright confusing.

Tbh I didn't even know 3.33/3.0 was a parallel to EoE, I thought that was what FINAL was gonna be. I'm pretty excited to see the final two rebuild films if that's the case because as cool as the "inside story" of instrumentality was imo I really didn't like the "outside story"

#4 Offline Raku Ichijo

Raku Ichijo
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 428 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:42 AM

I just feel that the psychoanalysis stuff was overdone, to the point where the staff was like "oh let's insert a little comedy bit here to keep everyone interested" (and that was actually the best part of episode 26, IMO). EoE really didn't need it for any other reason than keeping it longer than an episode, it had enough substance to stand on it's own without that, but then it might not have been more than an extra episode.3.33 is basically parallel to episode 24 on and EoE(if you can call it parallel, since, at this point, Rebuild is something completely different). Only (important) thing it's really lacking from EoE is the mass-produced Eva battle, but that'll be in Final.

3DS Friend Code: 4811-7119-1466 / PSN ID: khsora546 / Steam: terminus2495 / Nintendo Network: Terminus2495 / PM Me to add me

Currently Playing ~ BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma ~ Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd ~ inFamous: Second Son

#5 Offline The Lonesome Wanderer

The Lonesome Wanderer
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 692 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:55 AM

I want to watch Evangelion, but idk which to watch first, the original or Rebuild

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

#6 Offline Raku Ichijo

Raku Ichijo
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 428 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2013 - 11:19 AM

Watch the original first. It's complete, and the two Rebuild movies available outside Japan are basically the first 20 episodes shortened into two movies, with a few differences, and the stuff from the series left out of rebuild is definitely worth seeing.

#7 Offline Euphrates

Euphrates
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 21 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2013 - 03:33 PM

The Rebuild, at least 1.0 and 2.0, are good but also lack a lot of the characterization on Misato's, Kaji's, Ritsuko's, and Asuka's parts in favor of Shinji, Gendo, and Rei. As interesting as the latter three characters are, you don't get the same understanding of the characters from the Rebuild and as good as the films are I feel like they serve better as a supplement to the series than an alternative.

I'm looking forward to seeing the battle against the Eva Units. That was definitely a cool point in EoE, their design was so...creepy. Also hoping to see more of Asuka berserker mode since they're delving more into the primal aspects of the Evangelions in the Rebuild.

#8 Offline Raku Ichijo

Raku Ichijo
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 428 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, I'd suggest you check out the preview for 4.0 shown at the end if 3.33. It's pretty different from what you might be imagining...
Spoiler

Edited by Terminus24, May 12 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#9 Offline Elric of Melnibone

Elric of Melnibone
  • Members
  • Toa

• 139 posts
  •  

Posted May 12 2013 - 06:59 PM

I want to watch Evangelion, but idk which to watch first, the original or Rebuild

Original first, then go nuts with everything else.I've got the most recent Rebuild downloaded for when I'm out of school or in the mood for it. Haven't heard very much good about it, though.

hElbrZ6.gif

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users