BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

• 4 weeks later...

What's it going to take to get people actively involved again :( I think people who are currently interacting with each other should behind-the-scenes figure out how they want the immediate situation to play out, then we could all rapid-fire post some plot happenings.  I don't mean to sound negative, but the story is at a stand-still, and while I think getting to the next Chapter/season will help people get a fresh start and newfound motivation to play, the ending of Chapter 3 seems to be eternal.  The fight in Ko-Koro alone has taken closer to two years now?

I'm gonna keep being active with my characters in Ta-Koro/Wahi, and I hope the warehouse fight in Ko-koro comes to some resolution soon!  I'd like to see who make it out alive.

Edited by Azibo
  • Upvote 1

In a world where heroes and villains battle for the fate of the universe‚ some people have normal lives and work normal jobs... Zimixes

This seems like a busy time of year for a lot of people. I think Ko-Koro has slowed down due to a combination of that, and the fact there are a lot of people acting and it's left it a bit unclear who is where and what's happening where.
I know I'm unsure lol

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

"Oh hey, there's an update in the BZPRPG general"

"Nevermind :("

What's it going to take to jumpstart this game?

• Upvote 1

In a world where heroes and villains battle for the fate of the universe‚ some people have normal lives and work normal jobs... Zimixes

The GMs have been taking care to craft a great transition to the BZPRPG's next arc.  A lot of people are involved in making the main plot's arc conclude, and this creates a situation where the amount of people needed for some events (The ko-koro fight, the matoran told to go to kini nui, the infernavika's travel to ko, etc.) means that things can be easily held up for a long period of time by one or two people, and it isn't immediately clear often times who needs to post next when a lot of characters are involved.  Combine that with the responsibilities of players like school, family, and work, and things take a while.

I'm sure that once the next arc begins, we'll all have some breathing room to start crafting more new player-led stories again but right now I feel that a lot of people are waiting for this epic endgame before creating any new huge plotlines, especially depending on how the events unfolding in the arc's conclusion change the game world.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I totally understand that there's a lot of involvement to this arc's climax, it's just frustrating seeing this take like over a year and not much progress has happened.  I'm looking forward to the main-plot changes the next arc will bring, but getting there feels like a fantasy right now.  I'm trying to check back here more often, and I hope others do too.  Idk if behind the scenes people need to get with each other and agree to lightning-round post interactions together or if the main GMs need to just strong arm plot happenings or what, but I hope things pick up here again; I've enjoyed being a part of things thus far.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I would actually be very interested to know what amount of players are left at this point to return to this game, after all this time. Right now it feels like it's at most only a handful of its most devoted who haven't found anything else to move on to.

• Upvote 3

I left for about a year cause nothing was happening, came back, and still nothing is happening. Unfortunately, BZPower is one of the few decent sites out there that offers a solid text based RPG without any gimmicky dice systems or moderated interactions.

I would love to get back into it but I don't want to put any effort into creating a character for it to sit in limbo for another year.

EDIT: I totally understand that the staff have their own lives and things they need to do. But the waiting time seems highly excessive.

Edited by FallenAtlas
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

My loyal serfs, we're back in business! 

My fellow components of this galaxy-brained leviathan, please direct your attention to the prettiest and humblest of your Tribunal while I take a minute to address you all. A real address, one that I think has been long overdue - having nothing to do but read the last couple pages of this discussion topic while I waited for posting to come back has helped me realize that. That kind of perspective is something that's been sorely lacking lately. So let's talk. Real talk. I feel like all I ever do is make fake reasons why this isn't done, so let's really talk. I feel like you guys deserve an explanation on why it took all this for me to love the BZPRPG again. 

I'm going to do my favorite thing here - talk about myself - but this time I'm not going to lie to you. I do a lot of that, even to my friends, about how I've been.

When we last left your favorite GM, I was at one of the lowest points I've ever been at in my life. I alluded to this in one of the last posts I made on BZP, but a few days before Christmas in 2017 I lost my grandmother. I'd had twenty one amazing years with her, and even though she lived eight hours away as I got older that distance between us started to feel as brief as a trip to the grocery store. She was sharper than me mentally, stronger than me physically, and had the kind of life experience every human dreams of. The last time I saw her was before her birthday in July; when I left New York and waved back at her, her from her living room window and me from the driver's seat, I would have sworn she'd live forever. A few days before Christmas. Boom. That's how fast forever unravels. A few days before Christmas. A diagnosis in October, a downward spiral in November, and gone by Christmas. The priest even made a reference to the proximity at her service, which I thought was kind of a dick move, but whatever.

Coping with that was difficult, but the last thing in the world that helped me cope was writing. Maybe I was writing the wrong things, or maybe I was just seeing things in my writing that I'd never really dug for before, but just the act of getting words down had become painful. What was once something I prided myself on excelling at was something I loathed doing; writing felt like a skill about as self-destructive and painful as surviving leaps off tall buildings. My own head, a place I'd always felt comfortable and secure in as a place of ideas and good humor, had started to eat me alive. The BZPRPG was the biggest casualty of my retreat away from writing. Jams were abandoned. Ideas that excited me just months before, when I was still at home and had a grandmother I could pick up the phone and Snapchat with, left me cold. Cold was all I felt.

In fifth grade I adopted my dog, Ginger. I never really knew what breed she was. Some mutt - the ASPCA swore when we adopted her that she was a smooth-coated collie, but she always looked more like a golden retriever to me. Maybe just because she was gold. I'm bad with dogs lmao. Originally I had asked my mom for a gerbil. She was terrified at the prospect and upgraded that rodent idea to a full grown puppy. When we were looking for dogs to adopt, we were so close to picking up a beagle or a black lab, but every dog we took for a test walk in the parking lot kept picking the same F-150 to mark their territory on. We were just putting up the beagle and giggling about it like a bunch of immature kids (which is what my brother and I were) when Mom saw this whatever-the-heck dog in one of the cages. The name the pound had given her was 'Meek,' but when she looked at Mom I still remember her smiling. Ginger was always able to smile. I still have photo proof on my lockscreen. and my twitter. I remember my dad saying she would probably live all the way through when we were done with high school. By the time I was transferring out of community college, when I left home, I thought she'd live forever too. I was 0 for 2.

Gin started fading just after that return trip from New York around January. In her heyday, she had been able to polish off more food from the dinner table than anything on two legs in the house, and her not eating was an immediate warning sign. Then she was throwing the food up. Then she was throwing up blood along with it. When the vets diagnosed her with cancer, I was in my apartment, four hours away from her, from home, from the truck I'd lent my mom so she could move some furniture. My dad had taken her as a favor to my mom; I hardly use his cell phone number, but as soon as my mom started to tell me what was happening I hung up on her in a fit of denial. Then the tears came within a minute, and the phone dialing, and before I knew it I had called my dad screaming at them not to let them take her yet. He said he couldn't talk and hung up on me. 

The truck was four hours away. If I'd gotten the feeling that they would have put her down that day, I would have made the run myself. 

But Gin was a spoiled little princess, like everyone in her family, and she never really knew when to quit being pampered. They had given her six weeks in February; the first time I thought I'd never see her again, it was April, at the end of my spring break. I let her lay in my apartment, mashing up her food so that she could consume it, and just patted her for hours and hours while my brother showed Sean around the city we'd both moved to. I didn't have the heart to leave Gin, especially not when I copped one of the only carpeted apartments in my complex, so I volunteered to stay with her and pat her. So I did, for hours, and I swore never to forget what her fur felt like. I don't know if that wound up being true, but a year removed, I'd like to think it is. When she left, she took up the whole backseat of my mom's car, and I left a treat hidden back there for every year of our lives we'd spent together.

I've never taken summer semesters off - I'm a political science major, but with a heavy concentration in pre-law and my eyes on either grad school or law school, so there's always been some prep, some extra class, some minor I'm close to. But I took a six week summer semester off last year to stay at home with her and watch her while my mom worked her busiest accounting schedule of the year, and even though there were some tears when I left, I felt like there had been some catharsis from spending one last normal summer with her. 

Fast forward to September. Most of you probably don't remember Hurricane Florence apart from a few days worth of a weather news cycle, but it's scarred my city ever since it made landfall. The storm crept up out of nowhere, landed like D-Day and stalled over the beach five miles from my apartment. For a week. The city was completely cut off from the mainland by flood waters, and for a month my new hometown had become an island to the rest of America. I had evacuated, against my better judgement initially, in the nick of time. My place had become the epicenter for a disaster area, and the first pictures I saw on Facebook were of the building on the other side of mine with its front rent open, shingles torn from the roof in an unbroken fifty-yard procession. If the winds had been blowing the other way, I would have been homeless.

To cope with the anxiety of being stranded at home, slowly drowning in the heavy courseload I knew was going to crush me alive when I returned, I took care of Gin. And, somewhere in that three and a half week sojourn, I pulled up BZPower for the first time in months. It felt sweet to return, just from the outside looking in, and read through the years worth of memories I'd made with all my friends here. I didn't plan on a return, and truthfully I don't think I even thought about it more than mentioning it to a few people on Discord, but I was here, on BZP - a weird, kinda-septic smelling place that still almost felt like home. 

Within a week of finally getting back into Wilmington, Mom called me at around 6 am to tell me that Ginger had started bleeding again during the night. This time, they couldn't staunch it. The second she was back home with my dog's body, she had called me to let me know. This time I didn't cry. This time I wrote.

It was a Dorian post, my first since an attempt at writing a jam with Eyru in the final days of my grandmother's life. I reread them both this summer - that aborted attempt that died with my grandmother, and the draft that my best friend had died to give life to, and even though neither of them will ever see the light of day, they reminded me how good it felt to do this. To write like the that I know I am, to tell a story the way I used to dream of telling stories reading Tuck, Nuju, Exo-Fat, Spink, even you, EmperorWhenua, you stupid beautiful contrarian, you. I thought about Alex, and Gabe, and Hubert, and Omar, and Stari, and Eyru, and Corvin, and Franco, our wayward philosopher out there somewhere in this big weird multiverse of ours, hopefully living his best life the way I know he should be, and everyone else who I'm probably forgetting now that I've finally gotten to the point in this rant where it turns out I still have some tears I forgot to shed. I thought about the kind of responsibility that was on my shoulders as head GM, standing on the shoulders of those giants, and what I felt like I owed to the game, my position, and the people who put me there. I wanted to make things right. But it takes time, and that's something I just didn't have.

So we cut to this summer. BZP was down almost the whole time, and ironically enough at some point I decided to visit Google Docs and look through some of our old planning documents. And believe it or not - but believe it, because I swear to God it's true - I actually found the planning document for next arc, two years to the day that I'd first drafted it, still beautiful, still awesome and weird and everything I wanted the BZPRPG to be, and most importantly, still BIONICLE. And I realized I still cared. So, with BZP down for who knew how long, I realized it was summer. My latest law course was just about wrapped up. BZP had some time to cool off, and I did too, so I started to write again.

Which brings us, at least, to the tired old promise that has become BZPRPG legend over the past half decade - this arc is almost done. But this time, it's not the work that's ahead of us that we're making excuses for; it's the work we've put behind us, the posts that will be rolling out over the next few weeks wrapping up this monolith of a story arc once and for all. It was pretty rude of BZP to make us wait until I was buried in coursework again, but whatever the next few months has in store for me will have no bearing on what's to come gamewise. Posts will be rolling out one at a time finally tying off characters, stories, and plots that have been in the works for five years, and in some cases eight; the time you spend reading them, dissecting them, and speculating about them will give us time to put the finishing touches on the last post or two that we still don't have done.

Then it's time for a wrap up topic, where we can put the fate of Ko-Koro behind us for good and all, and where you can have a chance to finish telling your own stories the way you see fit. There will be some teasers for what's to come from all three of us dispersed in there, so keep an eye out - not just for our stories we're ending, or the ones we're beginning, but the ones you begin and end along the way. We have an RRA Discord instead of a Skype these days, but as for me, I'm going to start trying to use this N&D with as much frequency as I did in the simpler times before I had any responsibility. 

As for when this kicks off? Tonight. With the finished version of the Dorian and Cael jam in Ga-Wahi, the post I began in 2017 when I still had a dream of wrapping things by New Years and a heart that was still in one piece. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as my friend and I enjoyed writing it. And I hope you're excited for what's to come next. 

If I can still care, I know you nerds can.

-Tyler

PS. It came to my attention while writing this that there's now an attachment limit for the number of .GIFs you can have tied to your profile. I make you, my loyal serfs, with God and Black Six as my witnesses, the same promise I made Nuju and Franco in 2015: they will have to ban me and purge me from the manifests before I ever stop posting .GIFs.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

To write like the that I know I am, to tell a story the way I used to dream of telling stories reading Tuck, Nuju, Exo-Fat, Spink, even you, EmperorWhenua, you stupid beautiful contrarian, you.

So, you agree? You think I'm beautiful? <3 

Happy to do some storytelling again. I think I may have missed this as much as I missed all y'all. 

Edited by EmperorWhenua
  • Like 3

On 9/12/2019 at 6:42 PM, Tyler Durden said:

If I can still care, I know you nerds can.

I feel called out. 

But seriously man, I know you've had it rough and you've kicked for still persisting through it. It really is weird going from admiring the giants as you put it, to have taken on that position (you, not me, no one knows who the I am.) I don't often compliment you, but I also know so well how much you care about this game and this site. Game's in great hands with you, and I promise any newcomers that once Ty and the gang gets everything cooking you're gonna be amazed at how good the BZPRPG is. 

Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I figured I had to say something after reading the post. Man dropped my name for some reason. I'll come back to the BZPRPG when BZPower gets a skin that doesn't kill my eyes. Also whenever Salvinn's mark disappears somehow. BZPower honestly probably still is my home, even if I don't visit it often anymore. You guys all still rock. 

• Like 2

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

With renewed resolve, he pushed his heels into Skyscratcher's side. The Kahu reared, flapped its mighty wings and began to rise. As it did, Sisk reached for the horn attached to the saddle, raised it to his lips and blew, giving the signal for the Gukko Force birds circling above to move out.

Skyscratcher arced sharply up, shooting above the jungle canopy in the span of a few seconds. As they cleared the trees, Sisk looked around, noting with pride the dozens of other riders forming up around him, astride their Gukko. Once they were all in formation, the flight leads turned north, the rest following on their wingtips. Ahead of them, Sisk saw the mountains loom. 

OOC: Sisk and co. to Ko-Wahi.

Regarding Ko-Koro: It's about to go down! Glad I got Azza out of there before the real battle starts.

Hey Azibo? Echelon's whereabouts aren't exactly common knowledge. The best guess for most of the island would have likely stick him in Ko-koro.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Oh dang lol, I just kind of assumed.  Trying to work behind the scenes with that plot point, but I don't even fully intend my Toa to get to the correct spot anyways, so this could be an instance of OOC ignorance affecting IC ignorance lol.  Feel free to message me for some ideas on what dangers may actually be lurking in the bowels of Magaia! Especially if you don't wanna just post publicly some thoughts.

And for the record, I'm not intending to hijack any "main" story elements.  I welcome any DM's from anyone who wants to plan out some story plot-points.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do with my Toa/Turaga duo yet, so their fates are still open to whatever makes for a great story.

My "main" character Azza, the Matoran, is currently just gonna chill at Ihu-Koro, lol.  After that crazy battle, he deserves a few relaxed posts!  I just hope ya'll don't forget about him there; eventually it'd be nice to hitch a ride on the plot-train out of there.

It's more the fact that the last time any of us players saw Echelon he was in Mangaia. But as far as any normal character who had just spent time catching up on recent events should know, he's not there.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I'll edit the post now so the sentiment is more "we don't know if he's even still there but I'll check it out and if i don't find him I'll find someone who knows where to go" kind of a feel.  At any rate, the Toa/Turaga combo are basically off to Kini-Nui for some adventures.  Thanks for helping me post better <3

Edited the post in question.  I hope that's now a more realistic character mindset.

Edited by Azibo