BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I can confirm that the Rama Riders are still a thing. I will put up a post this weekend that describes the status of the group at Matau's Fist.

Did this post ever go up? I didn't see one in the Le-Wahi topic and I'm assuming that's where a place called 'Matau's Fist' would be. I could be looking in completely the wrong place, though.

BZPRPG

no, i said "next sunday" 

it's now next sunday :3

So, with that said, give a big hand to the winners of the 2014 Matoran Contest:

Tarnok, Average Joenu-Matoran (Played by Simon the Digger)

Lekua, Le-Matoran who knows people who know stuff (Played by Baltarc)

Leli, Le-Matoran qt (Played by The Tomorrow Girl)

Mars, Le-Matoran/cheeseburger addict (Played by Own Personal Quixote) 

Kellin, De-Matoran C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER, and his Ussal Crab Cancer (Played by Snoop Razz)

The Seventh, Ga-Matoran ex-Mark Bearer and a real pain at the family reunions (Played by Hubert [Currently disguised as Onarax])

To two other players: I'm sending you PMs right now (winners, nothing to be concerned about!) that involve your character submissions as well. Be ready. 

To the rest of you, thanks for submitting! I saw some great entries and this contest was definitely the hardest thing I've had to pick for in a long time - I'll try and sprinkle more opportunities like this into the game throughout the arc so that everyone who wants to be involved in something has the same chance. Stay tuned - and congratulations to our winners!

-Tyler

Yessssssssssssss

All of my hopes have occurred, and thus, I am pleased. 

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Alright, I just read the New Players topic to try and catch up with BZPRPG III so I could jump into the fray after my, "unfortunate", short run back in BZPRPG II which got me kicked from the game after one post and banned from the forums for a month.

I now have a migraine from trying to take in that entire timeline.

What in Karzahni's glorious name is going on?

Ding dong the Makuta's ... been shoved into a land of stories. The Piraka are bringing havoc to Mata Nui. There's an island of psychic Japanese people who are preparing an expedition to Mata Nui. Same old.

Alright, I just read the New Players topic to try and catch up with BZPRPG III so I could jump into the fray after my, "unfortunate", short run back in BZPRPG II which got me kicked from the game after one post and banned from the forums for a month.

I now have a migraine from trying to take in that entire timeline.

What in Karzahni's glorious name is going on?

Kopaka went bad.  Unfortunate 50 years or so followed.  Couple of Matoran who were up to no good started making trouble in the neighborhood and then got given the powers of the Mata 'cause lord knows they weren't using it for anything good these days.  They went and messed up Makuta and ex-Kopaka with the help of the mask of plot advancement.  Turaga got murked.  Familiar faces took over their roles.  People awkwardly spluttered around for a year or so in search of plot.  Yo yo p'raka.  Matoro got murked, because I mean what else is he there for.  Archipelago full of totally-not-Toa is there now and have yet to get the memo about not being located in Feudal Japan; wacky hijinks to ensue. A million billion player-led subplots were born, gloried, and died to be swept away in others.  Subplots you people wouldn't believe.  All those... interactions... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. 

I think that about covers it.

Also, congrats to all the winners! Looking forward to seeing how these characters bounce off of each other and the inevitable rocks in the horrifyingly-out-of-control river that is big plot stuff.

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 7

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Also, congrats to all the winners! Looking forward to seeing how these characters bounce off of each other and the inevitable rocks in the horrifyingly-out-of-control river that is big plot stuff.

River? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's more like a slow, sludgy trickle of mud.

Don't get me wrong, it's some mighty fine mud.

• Upvote 1

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

So you're saying that the Piraka...

...are on the loose?

Yes. Zaktan is being cash right now and so is leading his crew of lackeys in an attempt to do some stuff.

So far they destroyed a bunch of huts f in Ta-Koro after making a bunch of people angry, then ran towards Kini-Nui, and afterwards took control of the Abettor and then walked into the Vault as ominous music played in the background.

So basically that's the latest piece of the staff-plot.

Anyway yeah I should probably draft up a character. I was thinking about using a Kiril for my kanohi, but it's Mata Nui so there's not much inorganic matter to regenerate.

List of allowed masks is here. As ^ said though, the Kiril is banned.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

But can you guys just tell me one thing?

Is the Kiril banned?  :P

I'm cool with the Kualsi though.

So, I'm between Sonics and Plasma, since I'm not entirely set on how they work, since a Boggarak can use Sonics Elemental Powers to transmute matter, yet that seems like something that would fit under Plasma.

Is Plasma just superheating air into plasma, or is there some "substance" called plasma which can be created and manipulated like Toa of Fire do to fire?

Elemental science here is weird. Plasma basically means "control of plasma", which is often used to superheat things, but also refers to control of the substance. Sonics means control over sound waves, and as a result vibrations in general, and can be used in the ways you would expect it to be used (IE making a loud sound, making things silent) or in a way you would use vibrations (destabilizing structures).

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

So having Plasma is essentially like being a Toa of Fire but absolutely JACKED.

Not necessarily, for Fire controls heat. Fire has advantages beyond being more readily available.

Except Toa of Plasma can create plasma, like a Toa of Fire creates fire. Fire might be more readily available, but in the case that a fire is actively burning, the Toa is probably on firefighting duty.

Wait, does lava/magma fall under Plasma, Fire or Earth?

You know, in all honesty, it would have been much easier if they had just kept it to the six primary elements as well as Light and Shadow.

Except now we have to find the distinction between Stone and Earth.

Edited by flynn58

Yeah, I know it's a weensy bit overdue, thanks all for your patience... but here it is: the official "Elements Blissfully Unscientific Nuju Hates When You Think Too Hard About" list!

• Plasma
  • Magnetism
  • Gravity
  • Electricity

Hooray!

ohai ghosty :3

Congratulations to all of the contest winners! It's looking like a great group, and I look forward to seeing what happens with them, as well as to the possible future contests that have been alluded to. PLAYER PARTICIPATION IN THE STAFF PLOT WOOT.

- Indigo Individual

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Despite what you laypeople might expect, in this case, science can actually make the headache go away. :P

You see, people call plasma 'superheated gas', but this is not actually the correct definition. Plasma is ionized gas. For the sake of clarity, let's not go into exactly what ionization is, but for the purposes of this discussion, ionized substances:

• are made up of electrically charged particles
  • conduct electricity
  • can be 'pushed' by magnetic fields.

In the real world, ionization of gases normally has to be maintained by extremely high temperatures, hence the commonly-stated 'superheating'. However, there also exist 'cold' plasmas that don't need heat to maintain their ionization.

Now let us remind ourselves that this is a world of magical robot-people. Although that does not give us a blank cheque to ignore physics, it does let us make certain allowances to fit our ideas around real science.

Toa of Fire, for example, can create and sustain fire without fuel. So why shouldn't a Toa of Plasma be able to sustain the ionization of a plasma at lower temperatures than would be necessary in the real world? Of course, we like plasma to be hot - but by this logic, it needn't be any hotter than the temperatures a Toa of Fire could produce.

Science!.gif

tl;dr: Plasma doesn't have to be soopa-hot, and has different properties to 'fire', so it's no more powerful than Fire as an element.

Edited by That Ghosthands is a spy
  • Upvote 3

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Except Toa of Plasma can create plasma, like a Toa of Fire creates fire. Fire might be more readily available, but in the case that a fire is actively burning, the Toa is probably on firefighting duty.

Wait, does lava/magma fall under Plasma, Fire or Earth?

Heat is ubiquitous and flame, in this game, is used more than in canon for cooking purposes and warmth and light. Meanwhile, creating an element to manipulate is still an additional step costing additional time and elemental energy.

Lava and magma have only been elementally wielded by Fire and Earth/Stone in tandem. However,

some Anzaros may manipulate lava and magma.

Edited by Own Personal Quixote

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

Yeah, I know it's a weensy bit overdue, thanks all for your patience... but here it is: the official "Elements Blissfully Unscientific Nuju Hates When You Think Too Hard About" list!

• Plasma
  • Magnetism
  • Gravity
  • Electricity

Hooray!

Just so I don't mess things up with one of my characters, but Electricity involves lightning yes?

phauxxblack2.jpg

• Plasma
  • Magnetism
  • Gravity
  • Electricity
Hooray!
Just so I don't mess things up with one of my characters, but Electricity involves lightning yes?
Yes.

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

Despite what you laypeople might expect, in this case, science can actually make the headache go away. :P

You see, people call plasma 'superheated gas', but this is not actually the correct definition. Plasma is ionized gas. For the sake of clarity, let's not go into exactly what ionization is, but for the purposes of this discussion, ionized substances:

• conduct electricity

In the real world, ionization of gases normally has to be maintained by extremely high temperatures, hence the commonly-stated 'superheating'. However, there also exist 'cold' plasmas that don't need heat to maintain their ionization.

Now let us remind ourselves that this is a world of magical robot-people. Although that does not give us a blank cheque to ignore physics, it does let us make certain allowances to fit our ideas around real science.

Toa of Fire, for example, can create and sustain fire without fuel. So why shouldn't a Toa of Plasma be able to sustain the ionization of a plasma at lower temperatures than would be necessary in the real world? Of course, we like plasma to be hot - but by this logic, it needn't be any hotter than the temperatures a Toa of Fire could produce.

Science!.gif

tl;dr: Plasma doesn't have to be soopa-hot, and has different properties to 'fire', so it's no more powerful than Fire as an element.

I was going to bring up super-cooled plasma, and mention that Plasma as an element is much more versatile than people give it credit. Now, to find a Toa of Plasma to team of with my Toa of Magnetism to make an organic plasma gun...

The times, they are a-changing...

• conduct electricity

But then how does Electricity and Magnetism fit into this? If we do take into account what Ions are - that is, atoms that have gained a net charge because it has gained or lost an electron (And thus the charge is unbalanced against the protons in the atom) - then theoretically, isn't it possible for Toa of Magnetism/Lightning to create Plasma as well? Unless there's some kind of barrier against their powers being able to add/rip an electron to/from an atom, this should be possible as long as they have the energy, right?

Or is the energy required the issue itself? Do Toa of Magnetism/Lightning simply lack the energy required to successfully create an ionized gas (And maintain it?) and Toa of Plasma simply have their robot-magic specifically giving them the ability to do just that?

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

I would think its a control issue. And while I do believe there should be some overlap between Lightning and Magnetism (electromagnets! Best of both worlds!), being able to cross over into a radically different powerbase would be a little against the spirit of Elemental Powers.

The times, they are a-changing...

It is also at that point that you run in to Nuju's science problem.

In my opinion there is almost always some small overlap between elemental powers. Like manipulating plasma with magnetism. Trying to get new powers through technical know how is something that has already been gone over.

Sort of a spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law thing.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

-snip-

All the beautiful science :')

I think both Electricity and Magnetism Toa can control electromagnetism powers, but one would have to control on the electricity side of things(moving electrical charges) while the other would control it using magnetic field manipulation.

Edited by Norik Of Celtania

I think for my character it'll probably just make a lot more sense if we all agree that Toa of Plasma control a super-hot substance called plasma like Toa of Fire control fire.

Rather impossible to get everyone to agree on one interpretation of an element. That's why we can get lots of inventive ways to use them that all fit within the same parameters, because people use their knowledge to accomplish different things with the same element.

Just like some people can turn an overspecialized Toa of Magnetism into a powerful threat, so can some people turn an Onu-Toa into one. Every element is only as good as its user's capacity for clever and creative use.

Even if that same Toa of Magnetism is now 2op4words

(Plus that's an incredibly limited definition of plasma)

fK5oqYf.jpg