BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Guys, please be more respectful. I really don't like to see such immature (and, worse, unimaginative) name-calling happening, especially from those of you that've been around a while and should know better... it's easy to be angry, that's why the Internet is so full of trolls. Naked hostility never helped anyone. It definitely doesn't help my perception of you as people.

That said, Flynn, I recommend you stop doing things that make the people feel the urge to call you by impolite names. Many players in this topic (the ones who haven't resorted to jeering, sarcastic, and/or pedantic tones, that is) are doing their best to help you. You're new around here; other players simply know more than you do at this point, and the nice ones see it as their responsibility to impart their wisdom to newer players like you. When they inform you about what is/isn't seen as acceptable in the game, they're pulling from experience that you don't yet have. They've given you advice that you'd do well to heed, before you steer into a pile of trouble.

Based on what I've seen so far of your play and your attitude in this topic, Flynn, my biggest piece of advice is this (and it's something I think many of other players could also benefit from hearing): you as a player are separate from your characters; therefore, the well-being of your characters isn't necessarily the same as your well-being as a player. Oftentimes, I find that there's actually an inverse relationship between character well-being and writer well-being. I know that some of what I feel has been my best work in this game has stemmed from my characters' miseries. The BZPRPG isn't a game about "winning;" it's a game about story, and the best stories (the only stories people actually find compelling) involve adversity.

Bad things happening to your character aren't the end of the world; for the character, they might be - they should be, because who cares about a character if there aren't stakes? - but a character in a bad spot is, I find, actually more fun to write than a character that's still doing swimmingly, and you as a player lose nothing from the character's setbacks. If your character gets into trouble, she/he can definitely react with vitriol, with urgency, or however she/he would; that's how characters develop. You as a player, though, are responsible principally for telling the character's story, not for her/his well-being, and it's important to bear that distinction in mind. Your character "losing" or "winning" against another player's character isn't you losing/winning to that player, that person. It's illogical and unbecoming for you to take the wins/losses of your character personally.

• Upvote 14

test2.png

I...that actually makes sense.

I just realized that the only times I actually have to put effort into the RPGs here are when I'm losing horribly, and that those were the most involved I've actually been in those games.

As another point though, shouldn't the post on the opening page for Ta-Wahi note the fact that the monorail and the cable car aren't currently in service? It's ridiculous to make new players read through a years worth of roleplaying just to know those small but important details about the locations they are in. At the very least that information should be included in the recap on the New Players page that tells the new players what's gone down since the beginning of the BZPRPG.

Edit: Either way I retconned my posts so that I'm currently still in Ko-Koro due to the lack of inter-village transport currently in operation.

Edited by flynn58

The cable car's in operation. It just only runs from Ko to Ta and vice versa; the Monorail's status, as last mentioned, is inoperable, but it only runs around the Koro anyway. Hasn't been an issue, since it just affects how people move around within the city.

There probably should be some kind of note somewhere, admittedly, however.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Either way, let's keep Flynn (the character) in Ko-Koro for the time being.

Anybody there need somebody to interact with?

Scratch that, I just retconned Flynn's entire power trip as the hallucinations from being knocked unconscious from the weakening disk that the Ko-Matoran boater shot him with.

You guys are about to tell me that Kanoka disks don't exist in this setting either, aren't you?

Edited by flynn58

I've been limited in my ability to post the past few days (due to reasons such as: roads, so many roads), but just wanted to pop in and second Nuju's post.  Critical feedback is great.  Frustration is understandable.  Name-calling is counterproductive.

And Flynn, one other piece of advice to try and help avoid this sort of stuff in the future: your character may be the protagonist of their own story, but they are not the protagonist of the RPG as a whole.  Or put another way, if you ask yourself, "would anyone but the 'hero' get away with doing this sans any real consequence?" and the answer is "no", usually it's a sign it's time to dial back.  :P

On the Kanoka front: I'm pretty sure they exist (since there's reference to them on the Wiki), but I'll defer to someone with a bit better grasp of the technical details of the island.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

On the Kanoka front: I'm pretty sure they exist (since there's reference to them on the Wiki), but I'll defer to someone with a bit better grasp of the technical details of the island.

I believe that they do exist, but just lack any of the fancy smancy powers. Instead more along the lines of the ones we saw in 2001 canon.

Update:

Actually in the first post of the profile pages, it mentions the following under the Native Tech section

• Disk launchers have propagated, reducing the need for skill when using a bamboo disk as a weapon. Some launchers hold more disks with spring or gravity-loading magazines.

So take that as you will.

Edited by VoxuChro

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I'm new myself, so I'm gonna stay out of this.  lD

Ooookay.  I'm getting impatient with myself so I'm gonna try and jump in.  Reading the replies to this topic really makes me want to start roleplaying with Tukeli again.  >w<

SO I AM.  YAY.

The thing is though... last I checked Pala-Koro had kinda slowed down.  If that's still the case, I'd like to move Tukeli and Kiru somewhere else, where I can get them more involved.  It did seem like a good opportunity, so maybe I'll bring her back later.  As it is right now, I would actually prefer her to stay in the Le-Wahi topic, but if I can find a reason I don't mind moving her elsewhere. The only thing stopping her is she still feels an obligation to Le-Koro, but there are exceptions to everything I guess.

First on my agenda is coming up with some sort of plan to develop her, but that does require getting her more involved first and to be honest, I'm not quite sure how to go about that.  I haven't spent time in large forum roleplays before now, so this is all pretty new to me.

And let's be honest.  Nothing could have prepared me for something as amazing and unique as BZPRPG in the first place.  owo

"a b c d e f g, Rahkshi are my enemy.

Some are black, some are blue.

That one's chewing on my shoe.

Now I'm running for my life,

One of the Rahkshi has a knife!"

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

Well said, Nuju. I hope my sarcastic gif was taken in the humorous light I intended...

And Flynn, thank you for taking this criticism on the chin and cooperating.

As for the Kanoka point, as far as I'm aware, powered Kanoka disks are not available for player use, but I think mention has been made of them as power sources for Foreign Tech or such things. Powerless disks, on the other hand, are the staple projectile of Mata Nui. They're typically made of bamboo, but crystal or metal ones are also in use (particularly in the heavy launchers used in lieu of cannons), and some have blades, explosives or other advanced features built in.

Disk launchers are in some cases being superseded by the new-fangled Patero Launcher, which can be read about in the reference posts.

I'm new myself, so I'm gonna stay out of this.  lD

Ooookay.  I'm getting impatient with myself so I'm gonna try and jump in.  Reading the replies to this topic really makes me want to start roleplaying with Tukeli again.  >w<

SO I AM.  YAY.

The thing is though... last I checked Pala-Koro had kinda slowed down.  If that's still the case, I'd like to move Tukeli and Kiru somewhere else, where I can get them more involved.  It did seem like a good opportunity, so maybe I'll bring her back later.  As it is right now, I would actually prefer her to stay in the Le-Wahi topic, but if I can find a reason I don't mind moving her elsewhere. The only thing stopping her is she still feels an obligation to Le-Koro, but there are exceptions to everything I guess.

First on my agenda is coming up with some sort of plan to develop her, but that does require getting her more involved first and to be honest, I'm not quite sure how to go about that.  I haven't spent time in large forum roleplays before now, so this is all pretty new to me.

And let's be honest.  Nothing could have prepared me for something as amazing and unique as BZPRPG in the first place.  owo

And we're very happy to have you :)

Trouble is, as you've observed in the case of Pala-Koro, interactions in the BZPRPG have a tendency to stall these days. (Apologies to all, by the way, if I seem to be harping on about this issue.) While some high-profile stuff has recently begun to move forward (the Piraka, the expedition, etc) the more 'mundane' roleplaying isn't as self-sustaining as it used to be. This may be because the playerbase as a whole has grown older and has more real-life commitments to drag them away from the game, or due to other factors such as (in my opinion) the lack of real conflict in the setting, or a combination of such things.

My advice is to remind players you're interacting with if they're not posting, or if you feel the pace is still too slow, find an acceptable way to remove your character from the situation and seek out a more active group of characters.

• Upvote 4

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

And we're very happy to have you :)

Trouble is, as you've observed in the case of Pala-Koro, interactions in the BZPRPG have a tendency to stall these days. (Apologies to all, by the way, if I seem to be harping on about this issue.) While some high-profile stuff has recently begun to move forward (the Piraka, the expedition, etc) the more 'mundane' roleplaying isn't as self-sustaining as it used to be. This may be because the playerbase as a whole has grown older and has more real-life commitments to drag them away from the game, or due to other factors such as (in my opinion) the lack of real conflict in the setting, or a combination of such things.

My advice is to remind players you're interacting with if they're not posting, or if you feel the pace is still too slow, find an acceptable way to remove your character from the situation and seek out a more active group of characters.

Ah yes, I forgot about that.  I completely understand.  I hope I didn't sound impatient, that was not my intention.

I shall give that a try.  Tomorrow, though; today I'm too tired to send any messages to people.  lD

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

I tip my hat to you JL, for that is a clever way to spur rp. And I can't wait to see What Jaller keeps in his desk drawer.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

My apologies but I do not know when I will be able to post again.  With luck it will be in three hours, with ill fortune it may be weeks.  My life has become rather hectic as of late, but I will do the best I can to stay on top of the marginally small character count I have.  

Camp is over, and that means I have some freedom to bask in. I'll be catching up for a couple days before I post again, though, and be reading all the scoops I can find. For anyone with anything to do with me and my characters: I'd appreciate some correspondence so I can get my bearings. :)

But don't expect me to log in on Skype just yet. I'm more than a little scared of doing that.

• Upvote 1

2,805,164 unread messages

How does one write in-character? Some of my characters seem to have switched personalities...

Well, sometimes a character's personality will develop into something even you won't expect at first, depends on their experiences IC too. It's not necessarily a bad thing. 

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

EW, you were there for the old days. Don't worry. And Norik, write more consistent personalities. Keep their actions in mind.

Also write slightly longer.

Now now, I only do that for Akone when playing with you :P.

2,805,164 unread messages

How does one write in-character? Some of my characters seem to have switched personalities...

Well, sometimes a character's personality will develop into something even you won't expect at first, depends on their experiences IC too. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

I see. It's like they have a life of their own and just develop according to circumstances.

Thanks Hub and Anna!

Camp is over, and that means I have some freedom to bask in. I'll be catching up for a couple days before I post again, though, and be reading all the scoops I can find. For anyone with anything to do with me and my characters: I'd appreciate some correspondence so I can get my bearings. :)

But don't expect me to log in on Skype just yet. I'm more than a little scared of doing that.

WIMP

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

WIMP

-Tyler

So basically you're accusing Rene of being dark matter?

Now it all makes sense.

tumblr_inline_mp0cl93t6j1qz4rgp.gif

On topic: generally, when I start to feel like I'm writing characters the same way, I think back on their life experiences, both during the RPG and whatever preceded it. It helps me put things in perspective for everyone in the lineup.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

On topic: generally, when I start to feel like I'm writing characters the same way, I think back on their life experiences, both during the RPG and whatever preceded it. It helps me put things in perspective for everyone in the lineup.

-Tyler

Hmm I see

So my long backstories actually have an impact on my RPing.

Also, where can I find the latest Mata Nui weekly?

At the moment the MNW is on somewhat of a Hiatus, for lack of a better term, while it's members/reporters figure out what they are doing/find time while dealing with life.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Norik, I'd like to add to what others have said.  This may or may not help, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

In my experience, yes, backstories have a lot to do with how your character reacts and shapes as you use him or her.  My characters always change somewhere down the line; it might be getting a better idea of their personality, refining traits and adding new ones, finding new ways that they've been changed by their history, personality quirks, ect.  I think that's the beauty of BZPRPG's profile setup... it's perfectly normal for your character to change as you get a feel for it, and I think you may find that you like it when characters shape over time, that it's fun to develop them through their new relationships and experiences.  I know I have.  In fact, I prefer it.

Histories are important too, though.  Past experiences really do affect a character's thinking, as well as what drives them in addition to what makes certain things difficult for them.  I'm often thinking of Tukeli... I gave her a lot of adversity to challenge and shape her character, and a lot of those problems still have an effect on her, so she's fun to play.  However, she's emotionally stronger than she used to be as well, which helps her to deal with those problems better, but it also makes it a bit easier to play her because she's more shaped, and at the same time I'm sure there's plenty of room for development.

In my experience, it also helps to figure out how your character thinks... for example, does your character prefer brute force, or tactical attacks? Is there some emotional problem they have to fix? What drives your character? Do they have any quirks or fears? Little things like that I find can help a lot.

On the other hand, you might not want to go that in depth, but this is just my two cents, you know? Hope this is helps... if you need any ideas or assistance, I'd love to help if I can.  BZPRPG I don't have much experience in, but I'm not new to roleplaying or character development so I'm sure I could make myself useful.  c:

- - -

Also, on another subject... I think I might need to hold off on posting a while longer, but after I do some stuff I'll focus on Tukeli.

I was wondering though.  Is it ok to post some sort of profile for my character on my dA account? There's a lot of information that wouldn't really fit the format on the wiki.

For instance, I like to add the relationships my characters have developed with other characters... mainly their thoughts on the character, an explanation if needed.  This is common practice over there.  I would, of course, be asking first before adding any.

• Upvote 4

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

I don't think it would be a problem, though i am not 100% sure... however there is also the BZPRPG wiki where people post profiles for their characters as well, if the DA bit is not allowed.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I'll not be present for approximately one week.

I entrust characters in the following manner to be used at players' discretion:

* Vezok's Friend has Sulov
* Ghosthands has Zmija
* KNI has Gavarm
* Emissary has Gyn

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

You place your profile in the Profiles topic, but if you feel like putting a far-more expansive one elsewhere, that's fine.

Ok, thanks.  :] I'll be sure to do that, though I do intend on using the wiki too.  What I have in mind just doesn't fit the format.

~ My 8 year old sister

BZPRPG PROFILES

Tukeli [+Kiru]

CORPUS RAHKSHI

Sohnii

Great job, Nuju. Hopefully this will help stop all those bios with the character fighting Dark Hunters.

A couple suggestions after my first read through. Those words in italics makes it look like they are being stressed. Perhaps you could underline them instead?

Second thought I had was that you could include something about the Akiri players in the FAQ section. It just seems like something that would go there.

Last thing was about the "RPing" definition section. It reads like you are describing character development. Don't really have any suggestions for that one, that's just what it looks like to me.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Question: If Mata Nui is the only location we know to exist, then where are all these Skakdi, Lesterin, and Secondary Element Matoran coming from?

Key words; 'we know'.

As Silvan pointed out, in this case, we don't. Although, based on a certain passage in the BZPRPG Story overview:

• Thereafter, Makuta began to summon to the island foreign beings: Skakdi, Vortixx, and others (most custom species fall under this category), any and all that he believed he could bend to his whim. In response, the sleeping Mata Nui turned scores of Matoran to Toa, hoping to counter the surge of corruption, but none of these forced Toa had the same power or goodness in them as had the First Toa (these “forced Toa” are the class of Toa that Player Character Toa are).

...it was Makuta's doing. But again, only we as the players know that, and even we still don't know where they were summoned from... or if 'summoned' really only means, like, 'created from thin air and darkness'. Best not to worry too much about it; just shrug and say 'eh, magic.' ;)

Alternatively, they were already here.

We have no idea how Mata Nuian society was founded, other than that the Turaga was in charge. It was implied at one point during last season that the Turaga were indeed Toa a la the Metru, but since they obviously were Toa at some point by virtue of being Turaga, that means nothing. Since we don't know Metru Nui existed, there may very well not have been the demographic limitations when Mata Nui was civilized.

Since we know nothing about how Mata Nui was populated, secondary element Matoran may always have been on the island.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Alrighty.

Also, based on the current fight between my character and Emissary's in Ga-Wahi, am I doing alright? I'm not sure if my actions are too overpowered or not, although his character is at a severe disadvantage due to the lack of powers aside from his martial abilities.

So I'm not sure if it's alright that I'm landing more hits because a Toa > Lesterin, or if it's not alright due to, well, being pretty unfair.