BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I agree that the Akiri should be possible to kill. They're PCs, not demi-gods like the Turaga were.

(Watch out Hahli, you're next... muhaha...)

It is true that Jaller, Kongu and Hewkii are no more than PCs. They can be killed like any other PC (if the killers do it right). Their players might well try to stop anyone who makes an attempt, but it is at least achievable.

Nuparu, Hahli and now Ambages, on the other hand, are Staff Characters. Like Heuani last year, they cannot be killed/removed from power until the staff plot says their time has come. Anyone who wanted to take over their Koros would first need to convince Nuju/Tyler/EW to abandon all of their pre-plotted plans for the characters and this arc before they could have even a small hope of taking down those Akiri. They are a tier above other PCs, and so failing to treat them as such will involve characters getting squashed.

So I'll have to agree with EW on this one. Try to take Ko-Koro if you must, but know your chances of success before you do. There is excellent potential for good RPing in this situation, just not power-grabbing.

ppg2.png

The entire point of the PC Akiri is to put the running of the various Koros into the hands of the players. The Akiri are not all powerful god-men like Heuani- the are just very influential matoran. You won't necessarily get staff smited for trying to kill them. I could be wrong, but I believe it is still possible to get the Akiri in a position that must end in their deaths just like any other PC.

Also, it is certainly possible to take the position, even if you don't need to kill the character.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

But, of course, the leaders defined above are no more than player characters. They are far from immovable; they may even be fallible. If you want to try dethroning some of the Akiri, taking power for yourself… well, I won’t stand in your way. Koro leaders, I recommend you exercise a degree of caution.

Direct quote from the post talking about the Akiri.

It also said that most of the koros were going to be run by players, that might have something to do with why Matoro got killed.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

That applies to the village leaders that are only akiri. They are fair game. Matoro was an example of this (may he RIP).

Then there are the Matoran that are both akiri and BZPRPG canon characters. The staff will not allow their removal. Period. It would mess with their future plans too much.

ppg2.png

The staff are fairly flexable when it comes to stuff like that. If you do a good enough job, they are hardly going to call GM-fiat and ignore it all.

Being a Staff character does automatically make them unbeatable.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

...yeah, I'm pretty sure that's never been stated. Considering Nuju is the one who ordered Matoro's death because his player has a penchant for inactivity, I don't think he would arrange so that the same player has a character has unchallengeable control.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Exceeeeeeept that's not the case.

All of the Akiri are fallible, the only maybe exception is Nuparu. Being controlled by staff does not make a character plot important, nor does it give them special importance.

Ambages is, at the end of the day, a PC controlled by a staff member, and thus, no more important and afforded no more special rights than a normal PC.

The second post doesn't say "All Akiri except those controlled by staff".

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Exceeeeeeept that's not the case.

All of the Akiri are fallible, the only maybe exception is Nuparu. Being controlled by staff does not make a character plot important, nor does it give them special importance.

Ambages is, at the end of the day, a PC controlled by a staff member, and thus, no more important and afforded no more special rights than a normal PC.

The second post doesn't say "All Akiri except those controlled by staff".

He's been marked as a Staff Character for a while.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Exactly. A staff-controlled PC is not the same as a staff-controlled BZPRPG canon character. One is like very other character on the island (e.g. Grokk) while the other is there to keep the plot running, and will continue to do so whether any of us like it or not (e.g. Zaktan or The Abettor).

Matoro was the first category, Ambages is the second.

Here's the quote about BZPRPG canon characters:

To balance this, though, staff will also control "BZPRPG Canon" characters that may or may not resemble personal characters; the purpose of these characters is to either help or hinder the players in the course of the game. They can have their own storylines and interests and dreams, but their first priority will be to the game and to the players. BZPRPG Canon characters may seem like regular PCs, but they most certainly are not. These guys will probably be at a much higher power level than everyone else, and will probably be able to kick-butt at will... but they are here to move the game along, help/hinder the players.

The thing with Ambages is that he is both an Akiri (PC, generally fallible) and BZPRPG canon. He gets the best of both worlds, running a village and being safe in his power (from an OOC standpoint of course. IC he can't know of his special status and will need to be taking care of himself).

ppg2.png

Ninja'd by Visaru, 1100% ninja'd. Also, there are five villages that are governed by PC characters (unless Hahli suddenly became a staff character): Ta-Koro, Ga-Koro, Po-Koro, Le-Koro, and Ihu-Koro.

Also, I just got back from a significant amount of music making. Yes, the reggae was interesting in a holiday setting. Moving right along I'm back and I'm writing. If you have an interaction request best send it as a PM. Thanks!

Ninja'd by Visaru, 1100% ninja'd. Also, there are five villages that are governed by PC characters (unless Hahli suddenly became a staff character): Ta-Koro, Ga-Koro, Po-Koro, Le-Koro, and Ihu-Koro.

Hahli is indeed a canon character, and I hardly think Ihu-Koro counts as as part of this list. Nothing against the village itself, of course, but it's far from being on the level of any of the others.

Q2TtLEz.png

Is there any logical reason why Ambages has to be the Akiri? Does that assist the plot in any way?

I don't know, I'm not staff. But EW is and seems to think so. Until all of the staffs' secrets and reasons for things are made clear to us players, I think we just have to trust that they know what they're doing. :shrugs:

ppg2.png

Is there any logical reason why Ambages has to be the Akiri? Does that assist the plot in any way?

Well given the Peers atheist plot to overthrow Mata-Nui and prove he doesn't exist rest on the shoulders of Ambages and Ambages is one of the said semi-immortal PCs... I'd say yes it does have a logical reason.

Sure, but it also has a much valued metal and it's a koro with an akiri. Small? Yes. Possible to overthrow? Yes. It's gonna go on the list.

I try not to count Pala-Koro and Ihu-Koro as settlements on par with the six major Koro - it's like saying New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami, New Orleans...and Toledo and Kalamazoo.

It keeps things easier between inter-Koro relations and allows more of a sense of worldbuilding and scrappiness to the minor Koros trying to make a name for themselves.

Also, as Kaithas' profile notes, the Ihu-Koro "Akiri" technically isn't an Akiri.

-Tyler

• Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I'll make this short:

Yes, Ambages can be challenged. Yes, he can be dethroned. No, he cannot be killed. And no, I'm not going to just let it happen because that's no fun an

Ambages is a staff character who is ascending to Akiri. Soon, he will be an akiri staff character, a lot like Nuparu. That makes all of two akiri staff characters out of six, hardly a majority, and with his promotion things will be kicking off in Ko-Koro (plot reason: Matoro was a roadblock for Ambages to make the ride he wanted to, so with him out of the way it enables Ambages to do much more and spur more activity).

I know some people felt cheated by being told, rather pointedly, that their attempts to become akiri would be quashed, and I'm sorry if you feel you got your hopes up for no reason, but this wasn't what I had in mind for Matoro's death and the plot's advancement. I have to salvage this as best as possible.

Overthrowing is essentially impossible. Interfering with their nefarious schemes is easier, and potentially more rewarding. Do so at your own risk.

I highly encourage this.

Hahli is indeed a canon character, and I hardly think Ihu-Koro counts as as part of this list. Nothing against the village itself, of course, but it's far from being on the level of any of the others.

Hahli is a canon character but is not a staff character, but Ihu-Koro is, as I recall my discussions with Kaithas, under Ko-Koro's banner and is not a sovereign village.

Yes. Ambages is a staff character because his plot is integral for the long-term plan of the game. His status as a leader of Ko-Koro goes hand in hand with this fact.

Now that the doors have been busted open more on native tech (this happened, perhaps unnoticed, at the start of Chapter II of the arc), I'd say that Nuparu is no longer "untouchable." He only ever was so that I as GM could keep a guiding hand on Onu's production (and subsequently, tech levels on the island). This hasn't been much of a problem, so Nuparu's moderation purpose is lessened. He may be vulnerable to whatever you throw at him, if the Ussalry fails (like that'd happen); Nuparu is, in short, technically open season.

Hahli, though also well guarded, is similarly not untouchable in her place of power; nor is Ambages, nor is anybody. Look at Matoro, may he rest in peace; though Hahli and Ambages and Nuparu are controlled by staff, they're not infallible. I still invite people to try and rising up against Akiri and other figures of power in the game (you can always try rising against the Rora, too... though that won't go so well. :evilgrin:); if you play your cards right, things may just go your way.

We have to remember every now and again that this game should be more of a collaborative story than a contest. If it's better for the arc of our story that a character should be overthrown, or that they should die, or that they should be exiled, or that they should become a bowling champion, then that can happen. The only reason some BZPRPG canon characters (such as Heuani) are given ridiculous plot armor is because they have been allotted essential jobs to move the biggest elements of the game's overarching story forward.

I can say this: I intentionally left my "book of plans" empty at the start of this arc when it came to Mata Nuian power struggles. There's no endgame I have in mind for who controls what, who's alive and dead, or any of that jazz; the way this story ends up doesn't matter much to me. I wanted this branch of the BZPRPG plot to be in your guys' hands this time around, so that you could weave the most interesting and unexpected stories possible together (without being catty or sore losers).

Therefore, while the lives of some characters played by staff are protected by plot armor, their positions are, in this case, not. As EW said, you won't be able to kill Ambages, but dethroning him is possible. So why not try it?

Edited by Nuju Metru

test2.png

Actually, I need to move Reordin off that list. Before my promotion that was a filing system for me to remind myself who was involved in a staff member's plot and who I still had to do their own thing - at one point Dorian Shaddix was up there but I moved him when BZP came back so that nobody got the wrong idea. I should move Reordin too; assume him to be on the same level as any of the other Maru. If that, you know, means anything to you guys. :P

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Psshh.. the staff and certain players can have their positions of power.. i am quite frankly happy with all my little rebels and staying out of spot light..

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.