BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I don't think you all realize how many ways the coinage can be made more valuable or, more practically speaking, not replicable. The coins would be a standard currency built on more formal institutions than Mata Nuian widgets, which are basically gears and washers people put value on, and can be made in mints just like our coinage. They could be built like a snowflake with a nucleus, perhaps a small speck of metal at its core or have some unforgable etching within the crystal (the equivalent of a watermark in real-world money).

Dasaka society isn't primitive by a long shot. They have developed economic sense and formulated ways to give their currency value that's more advanced than actually having the coinage made out of rare materials. Like real-world coinage it would be from a common material that has special properties. But nevertheless, I do see this as reading too far into the subject. The cosmetics and material of money has never been a real issue in the game and I don't see why it should matter, to be honest.

Well, I guess we could settle with crystal coins with some psionic vibrations, so poor dashi(as in, the species) can't forge them since they have no psionic powers, and only certain Dasaka working in the Department of Finance or something know the correct psionic vibrations, so is unreplicable, like watermarks in notes or fine detail in coins. Maybe an entire clan of Dasaka who work as minters and bank officials and are guadians of that knowledge...

I like EW's suggestion, with the exception of Dragons being Widget-shaped. Given the largely traditionalist attitude of the Dasaka I really don't think they'd choose to shape their currency after machine compononents (machines=technology=progress). It doesn't seem like a shape they'd choose to attritbute to anything.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Hypercubes.

I believe you're referring to tesseracts, and I wasn't aware that the Dasaka had discovered the existence of a fourth spatial dimension :P

Anyway, all this shape-slinging is straying dangerously close to off-topicness, guys. Don't invoke Rene's wrath ^^

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Making them out of metal would ensure that they're always actually worth what they're said to be, rather than being backed up by a mere government promise. Like making coins out of actual gold, for example.

Just my two cents, no pun intended.

Gold and silver don't stay constant in value though, at least not in the past.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif CIPdo.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Making them out of metal would ensure that they're always actually worth what they're said to be, rather than being backed up by a mere government promise. Like making coins out of actual gold, for example.

Just my two cents, no pun intended.

Gold and silver don't stay constant in value though, at least not in the past.

Neither have government promises, may I point out. The value of money is, I think, almost directly related to the overall health of the civilization minting it. Not that it really matters, though; as EW pointed out (second post from the top of this page), this is all bit irrelevant considering the various other ways in which the Dasaka could make their money non-replicable (ie, valuable).

Personally, I like the standard 'disk' coin shape, with the coin itself made of internally-etched crystal (EW's suggestion; same post mentioned) and charged with a unique psionic vibration (Norik's suggestion). Extra security seems like something the Dasaka would definitely approve of.

Please, no cubes or triangles; those would tend to poke holes in belt pouches, wouldn't they? :P

Actually, a cube shape could have its advantages - it would be easy to store, as they would stack nicely and fit well together. One could quickly determine how many they had by counting the dimensions of the larger shape they form, and all they would need to be stored in is some sort of box.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

Except currency is often stored in pockets or pouches. Flat things make more sense because they use up less material and are easier to stick in your pocket. Cubes are fine for storage in a bank but not very practical for shopping. Also let us not forget that the more complex we make this the harder it is for new players to understand. I like circular coins, myself.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Well, then, Canis, a compromise.

Spheres. Circular like a disk, but three-dimensional like a cube. :)

How about squares? Flat and compact like disks, but stackable and easy to organize like cubes.

:a::k::i:

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

i've rolled quarters before

that doesn't m-

oh wait a roll of quarters

yeah that can work, but squares can be put next to one another with no empty space between them. but they have sharp edges and wouldn't be fun to grab.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Trapezoids.

*glances at EW, edges away warily*

On a serious note, as someone who does debate for a hobby, reading Kentoku is truly fascinating. On the other hand, the number of logical fallacies that I seem sprout up cause me to cringe a little. :P

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Nonsense, if we all favored emotion over logic there'd be a lot more murders and violence in the world. :P Besides, when contemplating actions that will change in-game society, even from an in-game perspective reason must be prioritized over knee-jerk reactions.

EDIT; Gah, I hate that such a common word is censored.

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/size]

Ah well.

General consensus in Kentoku seems to be: "Don't invade. It will bring no honour to the Greater Endless Ocean Co-Prosperity Sphere."

I'm this close to making my own Desaka character to mix things up by shouting about war and such.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/size]

Ah well.

General consensus in Kentoku seems to be: "Don't invade. It will bring no honour to the Greater Endless Ocean Co-Prosperity Sphere."

I'm this close to making my own Desaka character to mix things up by shouting about war and such.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close.

The Biohipies will find you. They will smoke weed on you lawn and protest. Hopefully war does not come to pass. But if it does, with the empire divided I foresee a coup courtesy of Clan Fursic.

"Poor Cyclonus - Sworn To Reject A World That Hates and Fears Him. He And I Are Very Similar, Really: Two Reformed Characters Struggling To Make Our Way In Life. He Just Has Less Violent Coping Strategies." Whirl

My BZPRPG Characters