BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I min com on Gwavy when you post? :'(

Far be it from me to discourage a little fun, but when I have to actively work to figure out what you're saying and how it's relevant, it's time to tone it back. If you want to talk to Grav specifically like my little sister, do it over PM, a'right? :P

• Upvote 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Just out of curiosity, when was the last Fursic rebellion?

By my timey-wimey calculations, I can't say definitively (thanks, BZPRPG time). What I can do is talk about the relativity of the event to current Dasaka characters. The last rebellion finished some time before Kuno was born, and occurred midway through Yusanora's tenure as Rora. Thinking about the last attempted coup as having happened a generation ago - when the "Grandmother" characters like Nera, Yusanora, and Yomiken were in their primes, and someone like Sheika was young - is the best way to place it in our always-shaky timeline.

I'm assuming that Dasaka have roughly the same life-span as matoran and similar species?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I don't often link my posts here, unless they have some plot relevance. But this post has been such a labour of love that I would like to post it here. It's written in iambic pentameter (which is fitting considering the character in question), which is, I believe, a first for the BZPRPG. Also, it may turn out to be important later. I hope you enjoy.

• Upvote 2

I don't often link my posts here, unless they have some plot relevance. But this post has been such a labour of love that I would like to post it here. It's written in iambic pentameter (which is fitting considering the character in question), which is, I believe, a first for the BZPRPG. Also, it may turn out to be important later. I hope you enjoy.

The secret-keeper, chosen from above,

Has made a pact with Mephistopheles

Ohh

Now I know what you mean by super!awesome

Attention! Attention! Evildoers, scourges of society, scumbags, villains, cheats, cultists, and motormouth merc types, this concerns you! Attention!

Are you a baddie in the BZPRPG, hoping to enhance your power by joining up with the alliance between the Legacy (Echelon's nifty troupe of ne'er-do-wells) and the Piraka (the gang that is now very much, one might say, on the loose)? Are you hoping to get your hands on some of that sweet, sweet Vault loot? Well, this is the chapter of the BZPRPG for you, because all the baddies of the game are throwing a party, and you're invited!

The alliance, [title of group], is using its loot to buy (and coerce) new cronies, and you could be one of them. In the post below, I'm gonna present an inventory of what exactly was in the Vault, describe the procedure of how you can get some, and outline how the loot can/can’t be used once you have it. This post is an official reference, so don't worry, I'll put links to it in important places (Profiles Topic, Starter Topic) so you'll be able to find it again.

Without further ado, let's get to it!

~DA LOOT~

There were three main kinds of loot discovered in the Vault: Masks, Technology, and Antidermis. I’ll catalog the specifics of each category below.

Masks

Here's a list of the Kanohi that the Piraka discovered in the Vault. When one is traded to a character, I'll put that character's name beside it.

• Komau (Echelon)
  • Jutlin (Derlath)
  • Jutlin
  • Shelek
  • Shelek
  • Crast (Eisen)
  • Crast (Lunefeld)
  • Elda (Sylus)
  • Rode (Iiasmir)
  • Mask of Possibilities (Joske)
  • Mask of Emulation (Rekhan)
  • Mask of Scavenging (Kriigata)

Technology

The Vault holds a mountain of advanced technological junk. The contents of the pile were intentionally unspecified IC so that new, extra pieces of foreign tech of any/every sort could come out of it. This is like a big junk-pile genie: if you want something, just wish for it, and we can feasibly say that it's either already in the pile or can be hobbled together out of the miscellaneous parts therein by the resident tech guru, Avak.

Antidermis

What exactly is Antidermis?

Well, as you may or may not already be aware, Antidermis in the BZPRPG is a creation of Makuta’s, rather than his intrinsic stuff (does the god of darkness have an intrinsic stuff? I don’t think so). In our game, Antidermis is “fluid destruction,” a pseudo-intelligent substance that, when it comes into contact with sentience, will pursue the most economical way to cause more destruction in the world.

What does that mean? I said something to this end in the Chapter III intro (which can be found in the first post of this topic), but it means that Antidermis eats away good guys (who are unlikely to bring about more destruction), while it gives bad guys (potential instruments for lots and lots of destruction) enhanced abilities that will make them better, faster, stronger. When Antidemis comes into contact with a morally neutral or dependent sentience – a prime example of this being the Abettor, and other examples including Rahkshi and some Rahi – it will corrupt that neutrality towards evil purposes.

What are the ways that Antidermis enhances its baddies? Well, results may vary. Several variant effects of Antidermis already around IC include Echelon’s Dark Magnetism, Kohra’s feather claw, and Zaktan’s Protoditic structure (this extreme alteration being the result of what should have been a lethal dose; don’t try it at home). Antidermis affects all conscious beings differently. The way Antidermis augments the powers of evil beings, as such, depends on the size of the dose as well as the wickedness and personality of the individual.

A whole vat of Antidermis sits in the vault. For our purposes, the vat is basically bottomless, seeing as Zaktan only gives out Antidermis in small vials.

~DA DISPERSION~

Characters joining up with [title of group] are allowed to have ONE (1) piece of loot, meaning a mask or a piece of technology or a vial of Antidermis. Loot, once gained, must be immediately added to the recipient character’s profile.

The way to get a piece of loot is pretty simple. The first step is PMing a Piraka player asking for something. Do you have your eyes on a particular mask from the list above? Have a piece of tech you’ve been itching to acquire? Let a Piraka player know by titling your message “Loot Request: ______” (the blank here indicating whatever it is you’re after). Here are the Piraka players; a parenthetical after a Piraka name below indicates that requests for that kind of loot are to be sent exclusively to that Piraka’s player.

Zaktan (Antidermis)

Avak (new tech items)

Thok

Reidak

Vezok

Hakann

It’s up to you to sell the Piraka player you PM on your character’s worthiness of joining Team Evil. Piraka players reserve the right to refuse you on the grounds that they don’t trust you, don’t like you, or for any other petty reason that catches their fancy. If that happens, you can always try one of the other Piraka with the same request. Piraka players also reserve the right to demand IC payment for loot that they give you, and different Piraka will ask for different things, so playing the field can be to your benefit.

You’re also allowed to engage in tech requests/bartering with Piraka IC; I’d actually encourage it, because it’s more fun! If this happens, though, you must notify me via PM that your character has obtained a piece of loot, and say in your message what has been obtained.

Here’s how each kind of loot gets handed out.

Masks

Masks are available on a first-come, first served basis. If/when a Piraka player approves your request for a given mask, it becomes that Piraka player’s responsibility to notify me of the exchange so that I can amend the earlier part of this post to indicate that the mask has been taken.

As soon as you see your character’s name next to the mask you requested, you may adopt that mask at your leisure; however, before your character assumes the new mask, you must lose/destroy your prior mask, so as to avoid an illegal duplicity.

Technology

To (mostly) avoid a slew of new tech requests, the rule about tech loot is that, from most Piraka, you may only request a tech item that has already been approved by BZPRPG staff somewhere in the Profiles Topic. In other words, the selection of tech items you get to request is limited to the things other characters already own. When pitching your loot request to a Piraka player, you are required to present them with a link to the Profiles post containing the gadget you want.

There’s a customization exception: if you want a piece of new tech, you must request it from Avak directly, and do so IC. Synthesizing Avak’s own capabilities/motives as well as staff discretion, Tyler will then approve or deny your request.

Antidermis

Antidermis requests must be directed towards Zaktan (me), and those are the only loot requests that Zaktan (I) will take. If I approve your request, your character will be considered to have obtained a small amount of Antidermis. A vial/sphere (it comes in Zamors, of course) is enough to significantly affect one being, and the Antidermis you receive may only be used on one being; this one affected being can, however, be either your own character, an NPC (a Rahkshi, a Rahi, etc.), or another player’s character. You may only affect another player’s character with their expressed permission. If you decide to use the Antidermis you’ve obtained on another player’s character, your character may barter for a replacement piece of loot.

Unless you’re choosing to use your Antidermis to enslave a Rahkshi, the way Antidermis affects your character is not wholly within your control. If/when your character gets a dose of Antidermis, you must PM me so that we can have a discussion about how the Antidermis would affect your character (and if you’re the person who traded for it originally, please just keep this conversation to the same thread we’d been using). My ruling will be final, but I’ll do my best to allow your character to have a new power you actually like.

~~~

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them below, and I'll provide answers. That’s about all I can think of to say about the Vault loot… so get to it, Foe-Drinkers Anonymous! Carpe Diem! YOLO! Etc.!

Edited by Nuju Metru
  • Upvote 13

test2.png

The great mask of god-modding has arrived (and taken by Echelon, darn)!

The Elda is very interesting, to say the least. Kind of hints at the possible existence of an Ignika... or something else that the mask can track down. Might be useful.

How would the mask of possibilities work, though? It alters possibilities, but how does that influence gameplay?

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

WOW and yay for all the stuff going out to the community! :)

EDIT:

An idea: what if instead of calling an arc by its year of origin we call it by Book One, Book Two, etc.? In this way it would fit in more with Nuju's Chapter format for plot arc updates.

Edited by Kughii

Attention BoA players.

From a decision made before the tech-post, Brotherhood of Ak'rei'an will be allying with the Dark Alliance. This is not in effect immediately, but will be enacted over several posts.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I realise that with the announcement of loot, this might not be the best time to do this, but I put a lot of time into this and a wake up this morning to find that it's out of date already. Anyway...

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present to you the third annual-ish census of characters in the BZPRPG, or, as I like to call it, the BZ3. I promised that I would take another trip through the profile pages this year, and even though this is later than expected, the beginning of Chapter three seemed a good time.

This census included every character with a profile posted in the profile topic, so long as that profile was complete and didn't violate any rules (most commonly having the character possess an unapproved mask, such as an Ignika). Staff NPCs that did not have profiles were not included. This was profiled PCs only. The names suggested for the Masks of Healing, Sensory Aptitude and Rebounding that were suggested after the last census (Sana, Omnus, Marki) are used here to save space.

As of Tuesday the First of Spetember 2014, the PC population of Mata Nui is 626, the population of the Kentoku Archipelego is 86, placing the overall number of PCs in the game at 708. Read on for further data and analysis on species, powers, kanohi, gender castes and clans in the BZPRPG.

Mata Nui

Population of Mata Nui by Species and Gender
image.png

Toa By Element and Gender
image.png

Matoran by Element and Gender
image.png

Skakdi by Element and Gender
image.png

Lesterin by Element and Gender
image.png

Turaga by Element and Gender
image.png

Parakuka by Host Species
image.png

Toas' Kanohi by Gender
image.png

Difference in Toas' Mask Frequencies by Gender
image.png

Difference in Toas' Element Frequencies by Gender
image.png

Kanohi/Element Combinations of Toa Characters - Males
image.png

Kanohi/Element Combinations of Toa Characters - Females
image.png

Kanohi/Element Combinations of Toa Characters - All
image.png

Frequencies of Toa Kanohi/Element Combinations Compared to Those Expected from Separate Kanohi and Element Frequencies
image.png

Matorans' Kanohi by Gender
image.png

Difference in Matoran mask Frequencies by Gender
image.png

Difference in Matoran Element Frequencies by Gender
image.png

Kanohi/Element Combinations of Matoran Characters - Males
image.png

Kanohi/Element Combinations of Matoran Characters - Females
image.png

Kanohi/Element Combinations of Matoran Characters - All
image.png

Frequencies of Matoran Kanohi/Element Combinations Compared to Those Expected from Separate Kanohi and Element Frequencies
image.png

Skakdi Vision Powers
image.png

Lesterin Kanohi
image.png

Kentoku Archipelego

Characters by Species and Gender
image.png

Characters by Clan, Species and Power
image.png

Dasaka Kanohi
image.png

Datsue Kanohi
image.png

Dashi Kanohi
image.png

Menti Disciplines
image.png

Datsue Disciplines
image.png

Dashi Castes
image.png

And finally, for the purposes of comparison, links for the first and second censuses of the BZPRPG, along with an appendix to the second.

The first: http://www.bzpower.c...004#entry538523

The second: http://www.bzpower.c...ssion/?p=556184

The add-on: http://www.bzpower.cssion/page-40#entry561989

Edited by The Lorax
  • Upvote 7

ppg2.png

Quick question about the Sanok.

The description basically says "It allows its user to turn virtually any inanimate object into a projectile weapon and hit almost any target they aim for". But how would that work in game? Does it turn the projectile into a homing missile? Or does it guide the thrower's/shooter's arm so that they would have 100% accuracy if the target stood still? Or both?

I'm assuming this part of canon still hold for the game:

"The Toa of Stone shrugged and casually tossed the rock aside. Only Matoro noticed it hit another rock, ricochet, hit a second, and so on. [...] The boulder ricocheted one last time and slammed intoVezok's back."
— Narrator, Power Play

From that, I would guess that it guides their arm as they throw the thing so that it will hit the target, even of it takes a crazy-complicated Rube Goldberg-esque route to get there.

It will hit unless someone can somehow break that in a way that the mask couldn't deal with, like stopping the projectile dead and holding onto it, or has some power to counter it, like dodge rahkshi.

ppg2.png

It does not become any manner of a homing projectile. What it does, in essence, is exactly what it says; give the user perfect accuracy. It does not affect the projectile directly, it affects how the user launches it. When they pick their target, and they fire/throw/launch the projectile, the mask causes them to do so with the perfect aim to hit their target.

To use a tangible example; if you were aiming a gun, your aim would determine where the projectile would go. The Sanok allows you to perfectly aim for your target, so barring outside factors, you will hit it.

That's how I understand, and have treated, it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by canon quote. That quotation in mind... I'm not entirely sure.

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

I know staff would be great at answering this, but I just wanted to chip in how I've always used a sanok, not that it's the right way mind you.  I think of a sanok as a +2 accuracy item, if you're familiar with that sort of thing.  Basically it's an accuracy buff in my mind.  At an immobile target the sanok user is going to hit 100% of the time if within range, but if the target is moving although the user may have an advantage to accuracy they still may not hit the desired target. 

EDIT: Ninja'd by staff.  Wow, having more staff really gets things moving quickly...

Edited by Kughii

Speaking of moving... Quest post. The odds that I haven't missed something here are very, very low (I probably missed some fighters on the third ship), so if I overlooked something you did, please let me know. I'll either edit in or post actions pertaining to you.

fK5oqYf.jpg

It does not become any manner of a homing projectile. What it does, in essence, is exactly what it says; give the user perfect accuracy. It does not affect the projectile directly, it affects how the user launches it. When they pick their target, and they fire/throw/launch the projectile, the mask causes them to do so with the perfect aim to hit their target.

To use a tangible example; if you were aiming a gun, your aim would determine where the projectile would go. The Sanok allows you to perfectly aim for your target, so barring outside factors, you will hit it.

That's how I understand, and have treated, it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by canon quote. That quotation in mind... I'm not entirely sure.

I'd say such a Toa of Stone DECIDED to throw it at that specific place, knowing that if it continued on its path it would hit the true target.

He aimed for what it first hit. That's what I see.

• Upvote 1

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

Of course, if it is a toa of stone throwing a rock at you, the sanok isn't really necessary for a near-guaranteed hit. They can move the rock around with elemental power and correct its course, make it swerve to follow a target or make it change direction to dodge obstacles. A toa working with their own element can turn it into the homing projectile that a sanok can't, provided they they maintain concentration and elemental control over the projectile after it is launched.

The same theoretically goes for Ko-Toa throwing icicles, Fe-Toa throwing knives, and Bo-Toa throwing Madu Cabolo. 

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

That census just includes folks on the Profiles page yeah?

To quote myself:

This census included every character with a profile posted in the profile topic, so long as that profile was complete and didn't violate any rules (most commonly having the character possess an unapproved mask, such as an Ignika). Staff NPCs that did not have profiles were not included. This was profiled PCs only.

ppg2.png