BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I looked there first; All it says is that they can only use their powers in conjunction with another skakdi. It doesn't specify how that works.

Here's why I wanted to know: Grokk and Natharius are fighting Joske, Skyra and Dorian. My skakdi, Natharius, has no weapons left, and is wounded. The only thing I have left that might give me a fighting chance are my elemental powers, but BS01 and the RPG rules don't really give any specifics on how Skakdi elemental powers actually operate. So what I'm attempting to work out is whether I can, just by standing near Grokk (exactly how near do I have to be anyway?), access my ice powers, or whether Grokk has to somehow allow me to do it. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Got Kunitu ready on a Gukko to stall and kill off the beetles.

Say the word and we're off.

Verdi's on his Gukko as well.

And yes, I'm pretty sure both Skakdi would need to be trying to use their powers at the same time for them to activate. They don't necessarily have to be used in combination with each other, but they can. In fact, have any two Skakdi combined their powers in this game at all? I can't remember if there's been any instances of that happening.

Edited by Toa Xemnas of Crystal

Okay, so the two of us would probably both have to be trying to use our powers at the same time for it to work? 

Can we put something in the rules or index or something explaining how the skakdi power conjunction thing works, just for everyone's future reference? I feel that it might be a useful addition, all things considered. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Yeah, pretty much everything in Bionicle seems to be like that. It always irks me when every other idiot in my family adds an S and thinks that's the plural. Visoraks... Barrakis... Toas... Skralls... It makes me want to throw them all into Mount Mangai. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 2

Okay, so the two of us would probably both have to be trying to use our powers at the same time for it to work? 

Nope. It would still work if only Natharius was using his powers, so long as Grokk was willing for him to be able to do so.

I can't remember if there's been any instances of that happening. 

There was the time when Matan and Natan built their house in Le-Koro, combining iron with plantlife.

ppg2.png

I looked there first; All it says is that they can only use their powers in conjunction with another skakdi. It doesn't specify how that works.

Here's why I wanted to know: Grokk and Natharius are fighting Joske, Skyra and Dorian. My skakdi, Natharius, has no weapons left, and is wounded. The only thing I have left that might give me a fighting chance are my elemental powers, but BS01 and the RPG rules don't really give any specifics on how Skakdi elemental powers actually operate. So what I'm attempting to work out is whether I can, just by standing near Grokk (exactly how near do I have to be anyway?), access my ice powers, or whether Grokk has to somehow allow me to do it. 

Yes, it's happened before... but VERY rarely :P Now I may be wrong (would the other staff please correct me if I am?), but from what I have seen played, in canon, and common sense (as needed to be RPed here) both players would need to agree IC, and need to be standing withing arm-lengths, or somewheres in that closeness of proximity. One Skakdi cannot simply use another Skakdi nearby and "use" them to activate your elemental powers; that goes against the:

Do not play as another player's character unless that player has given you explicit permission to do so. Likewise, you cannot kill or seriously injure another character without that player's permission.

Now if both player/characters agree on such a course of action, from what I have seen both need to be pretty close... not touching mind you, but I would say at least spitting distance ;) And no, you don't combine powers necessarily (though I guess it's completely possible; two Skakdi making lava is a scary concept indeed), but what usually happens is that both can use their individual respective elements as they see fit as long as they continue to work together.

That's how I/we perceived it in canon, and I don't see a reason to really change it here. That's pretty much what happened when the Piraka created that staircase in front of the Vault in Kini-Nui.

So Nato, to answer your question directly, you would need to somehow get TO Grokk (or have Grokk come to you), of which if I'm envisioning properly there are at least two, if not three people between you and that objective (depending on where Dorian is standing), and then both of you would have to hash it out IC (or agree/plan via PM and then say as such in OOC on the next post) before activating your combined elemental powers, and then stay in close proximity.

Edited by Friar Tuck

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

Tuck's got it right. You would need a lot less distance, more tactical precision with Grokk and a couple seconds without being distracted, which Skyra, Joske, Dorian, and maybe even Grokk himself probably wouldn't give you. Skakdi powers require duality without bunnying, and combiners like what Avak and Hakann did are not the norm. You can use just normal elemental powers.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

So, since Grokk is busy fighting Dorian, Skyra still has a gun pointed at me, and Joske will probably intervene if I try anything, the odds of me getting a chance to freeze anyone anytime soon are slim to none, unless a we put our differences aside and team up to take down a certain Rahkshi... which I also see as being incredibly unlikely... 

(Really wishing I had Joske's probability mask right about now).

Little late to the party on the topic of Skakdi powers, but it has been my understanding, since 2006 that in order for a skakdi to use their element, they must use the powers in combination. Went back and read the section in island of doom that actually displays the use of such combined powers, specifically of Hakann and Avak

"The giant easily stood 30 feet tall. Its body was equal parts stone and lava, with the solid stone continually melting and reforming.".

Hakann even goes on to say

"Someday I will figure out why our elemental powers only work in combination. Oh lava spheres are all right in their place, but they are nothing compared to what I can do when with another piraka. Think what I could do with the power of pure flame at my command."

From that statement right there, I was under the impression that even when working together, they did not have access to their full elemental abilities, instead whatever came of the two elements working together. Of course this is just food for thought, and as has been said many times in the past, The Bzprpg is not canon.

Edited by Voxumo
  • Upvote 1

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Actually, on the topic of skakdi elemental powers, there is mention on BS01 of some skakdi possessing weapons that allow them to channel their powers independent of other skakdi. Do these sorts of weapons exist in the RPG, and if so, for future reference (if my character still has a future, that is) how can I find/buy/make one?

They do exist, as foreign tech. A character can either be created having one when they turn up on Mata Nui (with staff approval of course), or for a character who doesn't start with them, they can be won in combat from a character who does have one. They cannot be made, bought or sold on Mata Nui.

ppg2.png

They do exist, as foreign tech. A character can either be created having one when they turn up on Mata Nui (with staff approval of course), or for a character who doesn't start with them, they can be won in combat from a character who does have one. They cannot be made, bought or sold on Mata Nui.

As an addendum to this for clarity's sake, only Lesterin, Vortixx and Skakdi are able to start out with Foreign Tech.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Ah, they count as foreign tech. Makes sense. Okay, I'll have to remember that for next time, since I presumably can't magically give foreign tech to a character I've already made and been posting as for a month or so now. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

I considered Vault Loot, but my character isn't actually evil. Oh well, I'll just have to be more careful when making new characters. 

I considered Vault Loot, but my character isn't actually evil. Oh well, I'll just have to be more careful when making new characters. 

Getting corrupted is always fun, you know. "man I wish I had the power to beat this dorian and company," then learning of the piraka's offer of power, morph yourself with antidermis and become revenge/insane guy, etc etc

I've seen it before

...but close to it

Hi everyone.  I've got a little announcement, and I've had a difficult time finding a way to say what I want to say in the kindest, most honest way I can, which is nothing less than you all deserve.  However, the past few days while I've been stuck in bed sleeping off a horrible headache, I've tried to find a way to word what I want to say.  Earlier, I opened up a little bit of the blunt fire (thanks Mango for clarifying what is was), on Nato and that was uncalled for.  I could have addressed you, Nato, in a far less brusque way and more than that I could have been kind and taken it to PM.  I apologize.  

Moving on to what I really want to say...

When I first joined the RPG on BZPower it was after listening to Friar Tuck talk about the incredible world players were creating.  The RPG was a community story and anything within the rules was possible.  All it required was some words, a working internet connection, and imagination.  At the time I was struggling in school, mainly from the massive commute, and looking for a niche that didn't place me as the nerdy gamer rolling a d20 in the back of class and calling for initiative from the small cluster around my desk, or the hip hop dancer who mooned his math class on Halloween because he dressed like an American Teenager.  I was dying to write, really write, but too nervous to branch out and do something entirely original.  Joining the BZPRPG opened my eyes to a group of like-minded individuals who wanted something and created it: a fun place to play, write, and learn together.  

Back then most of us were in our first years of high-school or even younger, minus a few of the older players who've stuck around through the years and put up with our kid-like gaming habits with a smile and a laugh (thanks Friar Tuck, Emzee, Vezok's Friend, Seraphim, Lloyd: The White Wolf, Emperor Whenua, and anyone else I may have missed).  We weren't such hormonal wrecks, we were kinder, and most of all we seemed to have more fun.  I think in part that's because the game wasn't such a serious thing, it was really a game and yes, we played the karz out of it, but all the memories seem to be good ones from the first couple years I joined.  Since then, things seem to have done downhill, at least from my perspective.  We've all grown up a little, although that doesn't mean we matured any, and the rolling rock of hormones and teenage angst hit the game like a chemical transport semi-tuck plowing into a tiny little motorcycle on the autobahn.

Today, I find myself often taking abuse on a regular basis from players who's egos have inflated beyond the point of bursting and think it's funny to call me a racial slur, or poke at my fatness (which is hilarious, because I'm a stick due to chronic illness).  I also watch the N&D fill up with pages of questions that are already answered, and by reading the rules could be understood in a matter of minutes, and the unfortunate thing is the response to those questions is not immediately a link to the appropriate rule or a quote, but rather a snide remark which starts a well oiled bonfire of PG-13 verbal abuse (if such a think exists).  We aren't taking the same time anymore to be as compassionate and playful as we used to be, or at least that's how it feels watching from this side of the world wide web.  We're too hot and heavy and over our heads for our own characters and our own plots and our own concepts on what's cool and right.  I say 'we' because I especially have felt that temptation several times and had to pull back, realizing it gets me nowhere to be a prick.  As I said brusquely to Nato: humility is what matters.  

At this point I want to take a moment and point out a few players who've really exemplified what I feel is the way to play and have fun.  This list is of course not ranked or ordered into anything that what comes out of my mind, but it's honest and true to who I feel really holds these ideas I'm talking about in high esteem.  I guess you could say they're kind of like toa, upholding a code of honor in how they interact and deal with others...

• Mango: you were the first player I interacted with, and you know what: you're still one of the kindest, most honest, and fun people to play with.  My conversations with you on PM and elsewhere have rarely been filled with the flaming or sarcasm so common in other places, and when interacting in-game you've been nothing but gracious and exemplary in your following of rules and making sure the experience is fun for everyone.  You also write wonderfully, and focus on your writing as a craft, not a tool to share your ego.  You experiment with style and function and become a trend setter in the process.
  • Vezok's Friend: as a veteran I think you set the bar that everyone else bench-presses on.  When I think of "veteran" as a term for long-standing player who respects those he interacts with, an image of your current avatar pops into my head.  You play the game as a game, not as an ego trip or a man-fantasy.  Your characters are all well rounded with three-dimensional personalities, each with their own motivations and desires.  It takes a lot of patience to really establish that sort of character development.  
  • Requiem: Despite feeling insecure in really pushing into the top-ring of the game (because these days it seems there's this annoying thing called a top ring), you've already reached the level of writing required.  Luckily, you haven't let your ego inflate, and players who would otherwise be unable to interact with your "magnificence" have the pleasure to experience your kindness.  I know I dragged you sort of kicking and screaming into this game, but it's been an incredible experience to watch you make a place for yourself among players and not become over confident with the respect you rightfully deserve.
  • Skitty: for playing people as they are.  The world is a melting pot, and you've been brave enough to play someone who's not afraid to be a little different, who's not afraid to take life's challenges by the horns and explore what life in a new body means.  Bravo for touching on issues that are absolutely surrounding us all in the 21st century, and doing it with a gentle humility and reminder that we're all people, no matter our race, or gender, or preferences in bed.
  • Nuju Metru: for putting up with the incredible amount of feces that gets flung your way with grace, at least publicly.  I'm sure you've had your days where "nuke them all," was on your lips, but you've shown patience and that's what makes a good member of staff.  Thank you.
  • Palm: for not really giving a flip about player politics.  You care about one thing: the fun of the game.  The rest of it can go by and you're happier than a hog in mud just playing without worrying about who hates who and why.  That takes dedication and commitment to the game and writing and the essential fun of the entire spirit of the BZPRPG.  Bravo!
  • Tyler Durden: you've been willing to admit mistakes and grow.  There are plenty of players in this community who don't apologize, who don't look at what they've done and learn and expand and become something greater.  You do.  It's incredible to watch you trim back on your ego, pull out the stops on your writing, and just fly.  
  • Gear Director: you're charisma gets players through the day.  Yes, you've got an ego just like the rest of us, but you know where you put it: in a lock box with a key buried in concrete.  You focus on the interaction, on the way your characters develop alongside others.  You don't look at just yourself, and that's admirable.  You know where to improve, and when you don't you ask for pointers from the community at large.  You are humble and open, and those are characteristics I admire.  
  • Friar Tuck: You got me into this and so far you've lived up to everything you've said about it.  Interacting with you or reading your posts leads to one thing only: excitement.  You've been here a long time, and I think the time has tempered and molded your playing into something truly based on the community of players rather than on the sole plot-lines of the staff.  You include, focusing on dragging local characters into an otherwise restrictive seeming plot and giving players a moment to step up and learn, and then giving them a meteor to knock their festering ego back to square one.  Sometimes the lesson sticks and those players go on to become incredible players themselves.  Thanks Tuck, for using pies and meteors to educate the masses.
  • Hubert: you cannot be left out of this list.  You almost are the game.  With so many characters moving around at once it's a miracle you can keep up, but with the clever use of one-liners you've done it for years.  I've even come to learn when you write a paragraph or more all those one-liners suddenly become incredible prose.  You focus on the interaction rather than the post-length, and that's something I want to learn more about.  Sounds like you also focus on your post-count, but that's cool as well.  Always nice to have a personal goal in mind.

What does this all mean?  I'm saying that the pros still outweigh the cons and I want to stick around for a little longer, but it's time I began my transition from an incredibly active player who focuses on the entire game to someone less forward, more in the background.  I don't really want to interact with people who are rude and abusive as this game seems to be lately, and I'm sure those players don't want to interact with someone who won't get fired up at their bullying and trolling.  This game used to be fun for me, and now it feels more like a babysitting job.  I need to change how I play, obviously.  I need to stop caring or worrying or focusing so intensely on the negative aspects.  People are going to be who they are, and really it's not my job to try and change any of you.  Honestly, that's rather stuck up and horrible of me to assume I could even try.  To help with this I'm cutting all my current characters except Ishi and I will not be adding another until whenever he kicks the can.  I'm going to a policy of one character only, and focusing less on the flaming and name calling that goes on regularly and more on interacting with those players who have shown respect and a desire to write with quality.  If you want Kamari, Koga, or Krios, PM me in the next 24 hours.  Any character not taken will simply have a sad and gruesome death, like I usually do when culling my little herd of PCs.

I look forward to continuing in this game, for a time.  Thank you for playing with and including me in the fun and imaginative adventures we've all been creating for so long.

Edited by Kughii
  • Upvote 16

Getting corrupted is always fun, you know. "man I wish I had the power to beat this dorian and company," then learning of the piraka's offer of power, morph yourself with antidermis and become revenge/insane guy, etc etc

I've seen it before

I already have two evil characters, and two good characters. I'm trying to keep Natharius more or less neutral, so an antidermis bath is out of the question, at least for him. Though, I do have an evil Ta-Matoran who could do with an upgrade... 

And no, Kughii, you were right in what you said. I was being more than a little over the top, and I do apologise for it. I'm having quite a dull time overseas right now, and when I'm bored I tend to jabber endlessly and make a general nuisance of myself. If it happens again, someone feel free to tell me off, or just ignore me. 

I've found that being blunt is usually the best way to get through to people; it makes them stop and think about what they're doing, which is what happened to me in this case. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

• Tyler Durden: you've been willing to admit mistakes and grow.  There are plenty of players in this community who don't apologize, who don't look at what they've done and learn and expand and become something greater.  You do.  It's incredible to watch you trim back on your ego, pull out the stops on your writing, and just fly.  

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

jk luh ya kughs A+ post everyone like it. this is a community, like it or not, and a couple of us may be some p neighbors but we are a community

-Tyler

• Upvote 10

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Kughs, your earnestness and honesty are always appreciated around here. Thank you for being such a helpful and positive part of our community. :)

As for Skakdi powers, I've always played it that the Skakdi had to not just cooperate mentally, but also fuse elemental energies, to use their elemental powers. At least, that's what I've always done when RPing the Piraka. For instance:

The Skakdi would have charged if a sudden noise had not broken the tense standoff for a second time. There was a great rush of water as a tall pillar of earth and ice seemed to explode out of the seabed, punching the water out of its way. On top of its flat pinnacle were two soaked and irate-looking Skakdi.

“Sometimes, teamwork can be effective,” Thok called down, his inane smile plastered back on his face below burning eyes.

Or, more recently:

“Make the stairs,” Zaktan ordered deliberately, his intonation that of an aggravated beehive.

Not seeing a suitably revolutionary alternative, Reidak and Avak squared their shoulders and, using the stone and earth of the ground, pulled a steeply spiraling staircase up like a screw from the floor.

So, the judgement call: Skakdi can only tap their elemental abilities in tandem, and can't use them independently of one another even when they're cooperating.

• Upvote 3

test2.png

As I said previously, my PS3 has a text limit on my posts, and I don't have a computer. In other words, my profile post only has enough space for Verulas' character, and if I were to make another I'd have to delete him (which doesn't solve the situation as I'd still only have one character). Granted, I do have 100% of my BZPRPG time to develop him, but having to decide whether to take part in one cool-sounding event over another is still a bit frustrating.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Kughii, it's always helpful to see your thoughts. You've been around a while (easily as long as I have been, so I suppose it doesn't quite sound right to say that, does it?), and your posts are without exception insightful. There has been a change in the community, but it's also one that is, think, at least, starting to reverse again. 

And don't worry. My ego is as small as it ever has been. Take that whichever way you choose. :P

• Upvote 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Not to get off topic, but trying to write a post in Le-wahi and something occurred to me. Do we have an actual size of the entropy beetle? Like are they your regular sized beetles or did the antidermis have some affect on the size of them as well? Looked back in this topic and did not find anything that stated so felt it would not hurt to ask.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I'll post a Ko-Koro post tomorrow.

But anyways, ego has always been a problem in the BZPRPG. But it isn't as bad today as it was back when players had unlimited NPCs and gigantic territories/organizations.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur